Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG Opening Day Blog

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/17/2012 12:05:06 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Here you go, all:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=6601

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
2/17/2012 2:45:19 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Top 25 upsets (ACC)

Kent State upends Georgia Tech in a 5-0 4-hit shutout. And as Kendall blogged, Virginia loses to BC 5-3.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 4:35:14 PM

BTExpress
BTExpress
Administrator
Top 25 upsets (ACC)

UAB holds on to beat #17 Clemson 2-1.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 5:39:27 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
What's up with the ACC already? Three top 25 upsets on opening day. And UNC is down 2-0 to Xavier in the 4th in their second game today.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 8:00:27 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Xavier avenges an earlier 10-2 drubbing by smacking the Tar Heels around 10-4 in game 2 with 15 hits
0 permalink
2/17/2012 9:24:26 PM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
I had set the Florida/Cal State Fullerton game to my DVR, but it failed me. I've seen Hudson Randall and Florida a ton, so that part didn't bother me too much, but I was looking forward to seeing Dylan Floro and Michael Lorenzen of Fullerton, who I haven't seen too much.

So, I decided to hop on the computer and watch Vanderbilt take on Stanford.

Soph. LHP Kevin Ziomek squared off against RHP Mark Appel in a series loaded with pro talent. Mark Appel obviously was the storyline in this game (and series), and he has yet to show me the times I have seen him pitch that he is deserving of the first overall pick in this year's draft.

He has great size and athleticism, as his body reminds me of Mark Prior's. While he has the same kind of FB velocity, touching 97 in the 1st while settling in at 92-93 for the rest of the game, the pitch is straight as an arrow when left up in the zone, something he continues to do way more than he should. When he gets that pitch down it has some sinking life to it, and he also struggled to command both his breaking ball (something in between a curve and slider) and changeup. His changeup hardly did anything, and he couldn't snap off a decent breaking ball until the 5th.

Yes, its his first start, and while I don't meant to sound overly critical, this is basically the same pitcher I've seen dating back to last year, including his stint with TUSA, his start in the Regionals and 2 starts during the regular season.

Stanford overall is all about potential, with some very exciting athletes/prospects but little polish. Stephen Piscotty is the exception in the polish dep't., one of the best hitters in college baseball who golfed a low inside hanging slider from Kevin Ziomek over the fence in left-center in the 1st inning. Austin Wilson continues to get bigger, looking more and more like Frank Thomas. He'll have to be careful not to loose his looseness as he continues to bulk up, otherwise he'll end up at 1B like the Big Hurt did. Plus, Wilson really has to clean up his plate discipline, as any good pitcher with half a brain should never throw him a fastball until he proves he can recognize breaking balls better.

This may be hard to grasp, but I found more promising aspects in Kevin Ziomek's terrible start than Mark Appel's good one (terrible and good statistically speaking). Ziomek at least pitched as though he had a plan from one batter to the next, and pitched very aggressively with a fastball/slurve/changeup/cutter. He hung a few breaking balls early, and then struggled to find the strike zone, but I've always liked the way Ziomek pitches, and today was no different, despite the results. He was up to 92-93, although I'm not a huge fan of his low 3/4 somewhat slinging delivery.

Conrad Gregor is a breast. Easy power, as he flicked his hands out on an Appel fastball and drove the pitch to deep CF. It was an out, but a taste of the type of power Gregor has. Unfortunately he truly is without a position, as he looked clumbsy at 1B and his glove isn't particularly soft.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 10:04:42 PM

Jeff Reese
Jeff Reese
Good write up, Patrick. I think you're on point with Appel, and the tendency to quickly fall into the low 90s after the first inning is something that I noticed last year.

He flashes all of the pitches to be a 1.1 type of talent and the easy delivery is endearing, but I still want to see more from him before endorsing him as the best college pitcher as well.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 10:23:49 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
pebert wrote:
Conrad Gregor is a breast....

Although I enjoyed your analysis, you shouldn't be calling players boobs. What would your mother say?
0 permalink
2/17/2012 10:37:59 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I don't know DM. Maybe he was saying Gregor's soft and sexy looking. Otherwise I agree. Very good analysis.
0 permalink
2/17/2012 10:44:11 PM

pebert
pebert
Administrator
Sorry for the typo. Meant to say that Gregor is a beast, as in 'beast-mode.' He's going to put up some big numbers for the Commodores this year, but is going to draw some scrutiny as to where he can and will play at the next level. As long as he hits, and hits for power, that won't be too big of an issue.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PG Opening Day Blog