Showcase : : Top Prospect List
East Coast Professional Showcase
Friday, August 10, 2001
August 1-4, 2001 - Wilmington, NC
1. BJ Upton SS 6'3/175 Greenbriar Chesapeake, VA Smooth, flashy with all the tools. One of the best arms in the nation and a plus runner. His arm is an 8! Projects to hit w/power.
2. Denard Span OF 6'0/175 Tampa Catholic Tampa, FL Outstanding outfielder and hitter w/power. 3.85 h-1st, 3.6 on the drag. (8 runner) Has everything except a plus arm, but it's playable.
3. Friedel Pinkston RHP 6'2/190 Hart County Hartwell, GA Reminds us of Dewan Brazelton. Low 90s, with good change and breaking ball. He is fun to watch and the sky is the limit.
4. Micah Schilling INF 5'11/185 Silliman Institute Clinton, LA One of the top bats in the country. Didn't display it, but he has upper deck power. Plays the game very well with some tools. Plus runner and good arm.
5. Elijah Dukes OF 6'2/220 Hillsborough Tampa, FL One of best outfielders we have seen, makes everything look easy. Doesn't have the greatest arm, but it plays. Aggressive hitter w/big time power potential. Plus runner.
6. Christian Madson RHP 6'8/225 Bloomingdale Valrico, FL Who knows how good he may be. Touched 93 in Wilmington and shows some feel for other pitches. We think he will end up above mid 90s.
7. Mark Sauls RHP 6'4/215 Bay Panama City, FL Better each time we see him. Topped at 92 in Wilmington and flashed a plus breaking ball at times. Changeup looks promising too.
8. Eddy Martinez-Esteve OF 6'2/195 Westminster Christ. Miami, FL Esteve has to be the top showcase hitter of this year. He has hit the ball hard in nearly every AB at every showcase. He has a strong arm, average speed and a MLB body.
9. Matt Whitney 1B 6'3/195 Palm Beach Gardens Pm. Bch. Gardens, FL Whitney combines high batting average hitting skills with outstanding power potential. He can really hit! He also plays the game well.
10. Tyler Greene SS 6'3/175 St Thomas Aquinas Plantation, FL His bat is a little light, but he has hitting ability. The rest is all there, good arm, great SS actions, plus runner. A good professional hitting instructor could be worth a lot of $$$$.
11. Nick Starnes RHP 6'3/170 Graham Haw River, NC Throws low 90s now with a very good breaking ball. He is extremely projectable as he will get much bigger and stronger. He has a whip for a right arm.
12. Brian Dopirak 1B/OF 6'4/225 Dunedin Crystal Beach, FL May be the #1 raw power guy this year. Big, strong hitter with a bit of a long swing. Has some other abilities as well, but power is his forte! He is a very aggressive hitter.
13. Steven Doetsch OF 6'2/185 Northside Christian St Petersburg, FL Didn't have a good showcase, but tools are tools and Doetsch has big tools. Plus arm, plus runner, plus defense and his bat projects.
14. Alexy Hernandez SS 6'0/160 Pace Hialeah, FL Outstanding infield skills and actions. Plus runner who has some power. Right now he has a long swing that needs changing. Swings and misses a lot.
15. Prince Fielder 1B 6'0/250 Florida Air Melbourne, FL Put on a display of power. Probably the top hitter in Wilmington. Prince is very athletic for his size and even runs pretty good. He has obvious great blood lines.
16. Mark Romanczuk LHP 6'1/180 St Marks Newark, DE One of the nations top lefties. We have seen him better than Wilmington. Can really pitch and throws in the low 90s at times. Breaking ball is very good.
17. Brian McCann C 6'2/180 Duluth Duluth, GA Very good left-hand bat w/power. Good defensive catcher w/strong arm and good feel for the game. He will go as far as his bat will take him.
18. Brandon Moss RHP 6'1/185 Loganville Monroe, GA Potential power pitcher. He was 88-92 in Wilmington. He has a very quick arm, but not that smooth as silk delivery scouts love. Also a very good athlete.
19. Justin Gee RHP 6'4/200 Sarasota Sarasota, FL Gee is very interesting, he threw 88-90 with a good low 80s slider and a low 80s change. We're probably ranking him too low!
20. Conor Lalor RHP 6'3/195 Houston Germantown, TN Another big, strong right-hander with a MLB average fastball. He gets good sink in the upper 80s. 4 pitch guy, FB, CB, SL, CU all promising pitches with command.
21. Andy Putnel RHP 6'2/195 Auburndale Lake Alfred, FL Putnel showed one of the best breaking balls in the nation. Fastball was MLB average and with plus life. Very quick arm and great command of three pitches.
22. Jimmy Kubek RHP 6'3/200 Osceola Seminole, FL Kubek reminds us of a bigger, stronger version of Jason Weintraub. He has a very fast arm and explosive life to his 87-90 fastball. A good athlete as well.
23. Justin Tordi 3B 6'2/195 Dr Phillips Orlando, FL Tordi has some very good tools, strong arm, good bat, good hands, etc. More importantly he can really play the game.
24. Javi Socorro OF 5'10/165 Miami Beach Miami, FL It's time for scouts to quit looking at Socorro's size and see the tools. Plus arm, plus defensive outfielder, plus plus speed. He has hit many of the nations best pitchers.
25. Justin Jones LHP 6'4/190 Kellam Virginia Beach, VA Jones is a big young 16 year old lefty who already is around MLB average with his fastball. Throws 4 pitches for strikes FB-85-89, SL-76, CB-65, CU-72-74
26. Zach Greinke 3B/P 6'2/190 Apopka Apopka, FL Greinke can hit and he can play. A very good SS who projects at 3B or maybe even the mound. Has a great arm, we don't use the word great very often.
27. Brian Hernandez C 6'0/178 J I Leonard Boynton Beach, FL One of the best defensive catchers in the country. His tools are average, but he can really play. A good solid hitter who uses the whole field well.
28. Michael Campbell OF 6'1/170 John Handley Winchester, VA Very good player with one outstanding tool in his bat. Short swing with incredible bat speed. The ball really jumps off his bat. Displayed power potential!
29. Adam Donachie C 6'2/175 Timber Creek Orlando, FL We like him more each time we see him. Very good defensive catcher with quick, strong arm. Swings the bat well and projects possible power. Plays for keeps!
30. Blake Owen RHP 6'3/195 East Robertson Cross Plains, TN Another big RHP who was a big surprise to us. Close to MLB average fastball and one of the best looking low 80s sliders in Wilmington.
TOP 03s In Wilmington
1. James Houser LHP 6'5/175 Sarasota Sarasota, FL One of the nations top high school pitchers in any class. 90 fastball with good life, good breaking ball and changeup. Excellent command of all three pitches.
2. Jonathan Fulton SS 6'3/195 George Washington Danville, VA Big surprise to us. Outstanding body, plus speed 6.71 on slow track, good hitting skills w/potential power, strong arm, etc. Big guy for 03!
3. Brandon Yarbrough C 6'1/175 Richmond Ellerbe, NC We have seen him run better, but his #1 tool is his left-hand bat. He has a good quiet approach and outstanding swing. The ball really jumps off his bat.
Other Top Prospects (listed in alphabetical order)
Brian Aragon OF 6?€™1/190 Florida Christian Miami, FL
Michael Ballard LHP 6?€™2/185 Ocean Lakes Virginia Beach, VA
Jake Baker P/OF 6?€™3/200 Holtsville Wetumka, AL
Josh Bell C 6?€™0/200 North Side Jackson, TN
Brandon Berlett RHP 6?€™6/225 Eastern Tech Baltimore, MD
Forrest Beverly LHP 6?€™3/195 Conway Conway, SC
Casey Bowling OF 5?€™11/185 Chapmanville Chapmanville, WV
Evan Bush Inf 6?€™2/185 Southside Rainbow City, AL
Matthew Cain RHP 6?€™3/185 Houston Collierville, TN
Israel Chirino LHP 6?€™0/190 Pace Hialeah, FL
Brad Corley OF/P 6?€™2/190 Pleasure Ridge Park Louisville, KY
Michael DeJesus Inf 5?€™8/155 Manalapan Manalapan, NJ
Jason Duncan LHP 6?€™3/170 North Forsyth Winston-Salem, NC
Kurt Eichorn C 6?€™3/210 Lexington Galion, OH
Jonathan George RHP 6?€™4/210 Camden Catholic Pennsauken, NJ
Kalen Gibson P/OF 6?€™2/190 Webster County Slaughters, KY
Brandon Gomes RHP 5?€™11/170 Durfee Fall River, MA
Brian Grant RHP 6?€™4/188 Goldsboro Goldsboro, NC
Mark Holliman P/OF 6?€™1/185 Germantown Germantown, TN
Stephen Head Inf 6?€™2/165 Northern Owings, MD
Joseph Hunter OF 6?€™1/175 Germantown Germantown, TN
Brock Hunton P/OF 6?€™3/175 Coffman Dublin, OH
Adam Kalkoff LHP 6?€™6/220 CE Jordan Durham, NC
Tyler Kimmons RHP 6?€™6/180 Mandeville Mandeville, LA
Adam Kitchen RHP 6?€™0/180 Christian Savannah, GA
Sam Lecure RHP 6?€™0/175 Jeff City-Helias Centertown, MO
Chris Munn OF 6?€™4/175 St Thomas Aquinas Weston, FL
Kyle Patrick RHP 6?€™4/195 Apopka Apopka, FL
Gabriel Sanchez 3B 6?€™2/185 Brito Miami, FL
Sam Self OF 6?€™2/185 Madison Central Canton, MS
Glen Simon RHP 6?€™2/195 J I Leonard Lake Worth, FL
Charles Spann Inf 6?€™2/190 Southland Academy Buena Vista, GA
Craig Stinson C 6?€™2/180 Mosely Cranston, RI
Marcus Taylor Inf 6?€™0/185 Henry Clay Lexington, KY
Nick Tisone Inf/P 6?€™1/175 Mandeville Covington, LA
Blair Waggett OF 6?€™1/175 EA Laney Wilmington, NC
Kirby Wedekind RHP 6?€™3/205 Episcopal Jacksonville, FL
Andrew Wells LHP 6?€™4/195 St Stephens Alexandria, VA
Keywords in this article
Player Profile Page