Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

ccox11 - all messages by user

2/22/2011 8:33:43 PM
Topic:
Kendall: LSU Pitching

ccox11
ccox11
I have seen you state a few times that LSU's pitching staff is the main question mark regarding the team. Given the way we pitched last year, that is more than reasonable.

I just wanted to let you know, however, that the question is very quickly turning into "is this the best pitching staff in LSU history?" down here in Tiger Town.

I'm not sure that LSU has ever had 5 starters the quality of Gausman, Eades, Alsup, McCune, and Tyler Jones. In addition, we have more power arms out of the pen than ever before and Matty Ott is back to shut things down on the back end.

I'll admit it, I am downright giddy about the prospects of this staff.

P.S. Mikie Mahtook is a beast.

That was more of a comment. Here is a question: Why is Gausman (a 7th round pick) the #1 freshman when there are several freshman who were drafted higher, especially the guy from Florida? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to see him so highly thought of-- I'm just curious...

Thanks. And thanks for your unparalled coverage of college baseball... The hell with Rivals. :-)
2/22/2011 8:35:57 PM
Topic:
Go on record...who is your national champ?

ccox11
ccox11
LSU. We don't play for anything else.

Florida is awfully loaded, however.
2/22/2011 8:42:42 PM
Topic:
Tulane 1, SE Louisiana 13 (Final)

ccox11
ccox11
Wow. Quite an impressive showing by the Lions.
2/23/2011 6:41:58 AM
Topic:

ccox11
ccox11
Kendall wrote:

Cox,
Gausman isn't the top freshman pitcher in the country. That distinction belongs to Florida right-handed pitcher Karsten Whitson, but Kevin isn't far behind and he has fantastic staff.

As for the LSU pitching staff, there's no question that based on velocities this is shaping up to be the most talented staff in a few years. But will it be the most productive against good teams? that's the question mark right now. The first weekend was extremely impressive, but I wouldn't throw my season's worth of takes into a single series against Wake Forest. These young arms are going to go through growing pains at some point, the question is whether it's an isolated event or a common event. I'm thinking it will be isolated.

Overall, I've been very impressed by LSU so far. I almost considered not ranking them at the beginning of the season, but thought a little better of it based on the talent it had.

Oh. I was just looking at the headline on the top 100 college freshman article which states "Kevin Gausman turned down significant money to attend college at LSU. Now, the right-handed pitcher is the top prospect in what is a very talented freshman class." That made me think Perfect Game was ranking him the #1 freshman.

And you are right, it will be interesting to see how the staff fares moving forward. I think LSU fans are going off more than just the first 4 games, however. Everyone involved with the program has been raving about this staff since the first week of fall practice. The first 4 games certainly did nothing to discredit that praise.
2/23/2011 6:46:56 AM
Topic:
SEC Week 1 Power Poll

ccox11
ccox11
florida
south carolina
vanderbilt
georgia
kentucky
tennessee

lsu
auburn
arkansas
ole miss
alabama
mississippi state
2/23/2011 8:03:04 AM
Topic:
SEC Week 1 Power Poll

ccox11
ccox11
bamzoo wrote:
ccox11 wrote:

lsu
auburn
arkansas
ole miss
alabama
mississippi state

This for the west ^

but ccox, really? in the East? I think UF will wind up best, but "power poll" inherently refers to who has been best so far, or who had the best week. Don't think UF can be #1 after what Vandy did this week.
East
Vanderbilt
Florida
South Caroilna
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
edited by bamzoo on 2/23/2011

I wouldn't say "power poll" "inherently" refers to anything... Based off of the criteria of what each team has done so far, I would agree with your order... Florida is clearly the best team, however...
2/23/2011 8:57:03 AM
Topic:
SEC Week 1 Power Poll

ccox11
ccox11
bamzoo wrote:
ccox11 wrote:

I wouldn't say "power poll" "inherently" refers to anything...

Yeah, you're probably right. Florida is the best team right now IMO. Austin Maddox and Preston Tucker give me nightmares.

That pitching staff gives me nightmares. How do you return an entire staff that was very good and add the #7 overall pick in the draft to that. That's unheard of in college baseball. UCLA's is close but Florida's offense is way better than their's.
2/23/2011 12:17:56 PM
Topic:

ccox11
ccox11
ntgreek00 wrote:
I don't think that we can take the Wake Forest series as the benchmark for our seasons success; however impressive it was. There are several really good teams in the SEC this year and we also have a date with Cal St. Fulerton which will show us exactly where we are. The bats will need to stay alive because these young pitchers will need help at some point and look what Auburn did last year with that lineup, and their meager pitching. I think the lineup is solid once Trey Watkins gets out of his slump.
I guess we will see. It is just great to be talking college baseball again.

Geaux Tigers

Amen.
2/23/2011 12:18:31 PM
Topic:

ccox11
ccox11
Kendall wrote:
ccox11 wrote:
Kendall wrote:

Cox,
Gausman isn't the top freshman pitcher in the country. That distinction belongs to Florida right-handed pitcher Karsten Whitson, but Kevin isn't far behind and he has fantastic staff.

As for the LSU pitching staff, there's no question that based on velocities this is shaping up to be the most talented staff in a few years. But will it be the most productive against good teams? that's the question mark right now. The first weekend was extremely impressive, but I wouldn't throw my season's worth of takes into a single series against Wake Forest. These young arms are going to go through growing pains at some point, the question is whether it's an isolated event or a common event. I'm thinking it will be isolated.

Overall, I've been very impressed by LSU so far. I almost considered not ranking them at the beginning of the season, but thought a little better of it based on the talent it had.

Oh. I was just looking at the headline on the top 100 college freshman article which states "Kevin Gausman turned down significant money to attend college at LSU. Now, the right-handed pitcher is the top prospect in what is a very talented freshman class." That made me think Perfect Game was ranking him the #1 freshman.

And you are right, it will be interesting to see how the staff fares moving forward. I think LSU fans are going off more than just the first 4 games, however. Everyone involved with the program has been raving about this staff since the first week of fall practice. The first 4 games certainly did nothing to discredit that praise.

that should say KG is a top prospect, not the.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clarifying.
2/23/2011 8:31:28 PM
Topic:
Best starting pitcher in the country?

ccox11
ccox11
Purke
2/24/2011 6:07:54 PM
Topic:
Florida's pitching staff ....

ccox11
ccox11
I know we don'thave the caliber of pitching staff that Florida and UCLA do but LSU has a team ERA of 1.50 with a WHIP under 1.00 and are averaging 10 K's per 9 innings through 4 games.
2/27/2011 5:19:22 PM
Topic:
South Alabama 4, Southeastern LA 6 (Final)

ccox11
ccox11
Extremely impressive start by Southeastern. Six quality wins to just one loss. I am excited for Tuesday night's matchup.
2/28/2011 6:28:59 AM
Topic:
SEC Team by Team Ace Comparisons

ccox11
ccox11
LSU's ace is most definitely Kevin Gausman. True freshman. 7th round draft pick. Has hit 98 already. One of the top college prospects for 2012 draft class.
3/1/2011 9:09:27 PM
Topic:
LSU/Southeastern

ccox11
ccox11
Actual attendance: 7,900+ (LSU Midweek Record)

Southeastern has a very good baseball team.
3/2/2011 6:48:39 PM
Topic:
LSU/Southeastern

ccox11
ccox11
I agree. I hope we don't see them in a regional though. I hate when the NCAA sends good Louisiana teams to LSU so the state can't have a chance to have multiple teams advance.
3/6/2011 10:19:52 AM
Topic:
Who is the hardest thrower in the country?

ccox11
ccox11
Kevin Gausman from LSU has hit 98 mph multiple times this season. I believe he even hit 100 mph three times during summer ball.

Who are some other hard throwers out there around the country?
3/11/2011 4:03:48 PM
Topic:
SEC Power Poll Week 3.5

ccox11
ccox11
I would like to know how Auburn is ahead of LSU.
5/4/2011 8:32:13 PM
Topic:
You need one pitcher, one hitter .......

ccox11
ccox11
Trevor Bauer and Mikie Mahtook
5/21/2011 9:38:48 PM
Topic:
Kendall/Anyone: Question related to Georgia

ccox11
ccox11
A) What does your record have to be to qualify for the postseason? .500 or better than .500? In other words, does Georgia have to go 2-2 or 3-2 to be eligible?

B) How much are LSU's chances tied to Georgia not becoming eligible?
5/23/2011 9:52:40 PM
Topic:
LSU NCAA Tournament chances

ccox11
ccox11
That is crazy. Mainieri did not recruit Louis Coleman, Blake Dean, Ryan Schimpf, Sean Ochinko, or Jared Mitchell. He did, however, recruit Matt Clark, Anthony Ranaudo, Austin Ross, Matty Ott, Micah Gibbs, Leon Landry, D.J. LeMahieu, Mikie Mahtook, Austin Nola, Tyler Hanover, Kevin Gausman, Kurt McCune, and JaCoby Jones. If anything, the national championship was won because of Terry Rooney's recruiting, certainly not because of Smoke Laval's.
pages: 1 2