Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

RawnsleyD - all messages by user

2/17/2011 10:09:12 AM
Topic:
Texas outfielder out 4-6 weeks

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Kjerstad is a very nice young hitter who alot of people around the country don't know much about, as he's from North Texas and didn't hit the showcase/WWBA circut much. With UT's need for offense I think people will be hearing about him the future, though.
2/19/2011 6:53:50 AM
Topic:
Prospect Video: Stanford RHP Mark Appel

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
To me that video of Appel looks exactly like Mark Prior throwing at the same age (actually, I saw Prior in person when he was a sophomore). Same build, same arm action (same low elbow I had some worries with about Prior) and same filthy stuff. Great video, Kendall.
2/20/2011 12:44:44 PM
Topic:
Inside tidbits on two LSU pitchers

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Gausman, of course, was an Aflac All-American and acknowledged as one of the top high school pitchers in the 2010 draft. He slid to the 6th round (Los Angeles Dodgers), however, based on the strength of his commitment to LSU, buoyed in part by the fact he'll be a draft eligible sophomore in 2012.

Eades, on the other hand, is far less nationally known. He only DH'd his senior high school season after undergoing labrum surgery but was still drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 19th round. He was also still ranked as the 176th best high school prospect in the 2010 class by PG.
2/20/2011 12:51:34 PM
Topic:
Interesting North Carolina note

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Penny and Carnigan seem like 2 different pitchers to me. Carnigan was a sub 6-0 ex-catcher who threw from a typical catcher's tight 3/4's release, for starters, Penny is 6-3 and throws from a short striding mid to low 3/4's release point, at least according to all PG's notes when he was in high school. In 2008 Penny topped out at 88-89 and had a nice curveball and very nice change; he's obviously improved his velocity significantly in the past few years.
2/20/2011 12:56:18 PM
Topic:
Prospect Video: Rice FR RHP John Simms

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I've absolutely loved John Simms since the first time I saw him (although I'll ignore the time I saw him allow 11 runs to The Woodlands....and get the win against Jamison Taillon....last year).

Here are my notes from the 2009 Area Code Games on Simms. See how that comps with the video that Kendall posted from his first college start.

"Long loose arm, extended 3/4's, looks mid 3/4's at times, bit cross body, throws with miminal effort, pitches under control, SL was nasty at times, potential plus pitch, CB pretty good, too, everything projects, has plus idea how to pitch, abused hitters for 3 IP. Chance to be surprise guy for 2010, big time prospect."
2/20/2011 1:09:58 PM
Topic:
Mahtook

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I personally don't know why Matook isn't mentioned more as a potential 1st round pick. I'm guilty too, I just did a first round mock, considered putting him on and didn't. Scouts don't love his swing mechanics but there isn't a more athletic player in the country and you can't argue with the performance or makeup.
2/21/2011 8:47:17 AM
Topic:
TD Ameritrade Park

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I was out last night and happened to drive through downtown Omaha about 10 pm. For some reason they had all the lights on. Wow, talk about lighting up a skyline! It looked spectacular. Very fitting for the opening of college baseball season, although the first game at what I call "New Rosenblatt" (and I'm sure other Omaha residents do also) isn't until April 19.
2/24/2011 5:40:47 AM
Topic:
Prospect Video: Texas State RHP Carson Smith

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I wouldn't expect scouts to be in 100% agreement about Smith's delivery and arm action, at least as a starter. One has likened it to "someone slinging a rock". Of course, that rock travels fast and can be made to move both down and in and down and away to a right handed hitter. Some scouts will naturally question his ability to get left handed hitters out from the lower release point as well.
2/24/2011 5:50:06 AM
Topic:
Scoop time for Wednesday (2/23)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
A scout who saw all four of the Florida games told me that Florida ran out 13 pitchers over the course of those 4 games and that all but three at least touched 92 mph. Not many big league staffs can say that....in fact I wonder how many can.

Louisville RHP Matt Koch is an Iowa product who you just knew during high school that he had a bright future ahead of him. Here's a report I wrote on him during the spring of his senior year.

Matt Koch is a 2009 RHP with a 6'3'', 185 lb. frame from Cherokee, IA who attends Cherokee Washington HS. Projectable pitcher's frame, loose actions. Back turn/leg raise delivery, keeps it simple, good direction, 3/4's release with some effort. FB tails arm side, consistent 87-88 mph, CB shows hard spin, sharp 2 plane, occ very big and sweeping. SL was late/sharp at times. Developing change up. Tends to get on side of FB but stays over top of two quality breaking balls. Will see more velo as it warms up. Good student, signed with Louisville.
2/24/2011 1:02:30 PM
Topic:
Our Top 100 freshman prospects to watch .....

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
There is absolutely no requirement to attend a Perfect Game, World Wood Bat Association (WWBA) or Baseball Championship Series (BCS) event in order to ranked on any PG list.

However, the reality is that the vast, vast majority of the most talented players in the country do attend some type of PG sponsored showcase or tournament at some point and that remains the best way for a player to be evaluated and recognized.

But PG scouts also attend almost all of the other major events for high school age players (East Coast Pro, Area Code Games, Tournament of Stars, Junior Olympics, etc) and are constantly networking with professional scouts and college coaches to make sure we know about everyone possible. In fact, many of those coaches/scouts are the ones telling players they need to get to a PG event!
2/24/2011 1:09:08 PM
Topic:

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I couldn't remember having seen Radziewski pitch but lo and behold I'd written a report on him from the 2009 PG National.

Bryan Radziewski is a 2010 LHP with a 6'0'', 190 lb. frame from Miami, FL who attends Florida Christian HS. Solid build, good strength. Directional leg raise delivery, hard front side to lever off of, FB steady at 87-88 mph, with occ life, will cut FB occ, throws FB to outside corner, CB best pitch, big downer action, commands CB well, hard bite, only threw a couple change ups. Looked promising. Close to MLB ave. velocity and CB is a big pitch. Good lefty, should be high level college pitcher, Good student, verbal to Miami.
2/24/2011 1:20:51 PM
Topic:

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Lively was actually ranked about 140 spots ahead of Radziewski on the 2010 PG high school rankings. He improved from 85 mph to 91 on his fastball from his junior to senior year. Here are his notes from his performance in Jupiter in October, 2009.

quick arm, high leg kick, gets closed at balance point, max effort, drop and drive, some extention, projects some, live arm, 11-5 CB-tight spin, nice bite, CB for Ks, head jerk, finishes to plate, adds and subtracts well, some ASR, velo dropped in 3rd to 84-87, pitchability.
2/24/2011 4:56:28 PM
Topic:
Couple of Georgia Tech tidbits

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Kyle Wren obviously has the baseball genes, which is not an unimportant thing. More importantly, he has some serious tools. I saw him late in 2009 and wrote the report below. The only thing that was really lacking at that point was the strength to drive the ball (I gave him 7 power on the PG scale). I'm sure he's much stronger now, and he can fly (6.47 60).

Kyle Wren is a 2010 OF with a 6'0'', 165 lb. frame from Peachtree City, GA who attends Landmark Christian HS. Slender athletic build. Outstanding runner, 6.47 in the 60, outfield throws have carry, loose arm that projects, centerfield type speed. Busy body load, quick hands to the ball, contact approach, best contact pulling, stays on ball well, line drive plane, speed/approach will mean lots of extra hits. Good student. Verbal commitment to Georgia Tech.
2/25/2011 4:00:42 PM
Topic:
Stanford's Mooneyham

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I wouldn't be surprised if some teams still considered making a strong run at Mooneyham this June/Summer. He's been a high profile talent for a long time and definitely showed improvement in his command this past summer from what I understand.
2/26/2011 7:03:17 AM
Topic:
Interesting stuff on Memphis P Dan Langfield

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Langfield is originally from Massachusetts and pitched in a number of PG events, including the 2008 National Showcase. He was eventually ranked #444 in the 2009 class. He's a stocky, strong kid and was very consistently 90-91 most times we saw him in high school.

Here's his report from the 2008 National Showcase.

Daniel Langfield is a 2009 RHP with a 6'1'', 205 lb. frame from Somerset, MA who attends Somerset HS. Langfield has strong stocky build and very good arm strength. He uses a Hi 3/4 arm angle and his fastball sat 88-90 at the Metrodome. He showed a good curveball with hard late bite. He has a pretty good command and uses his legs well in his delivery. His arm action appears to be a bit stiff, but there is no question about his arm strength. He has an intriguing arm and is one that all top college programs should follow.
2/26/2011 7:13:25 AM
Topic:
Tidbits on a premier pitching matchup

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Stilson is really impressing me thus far. I saw him as a reliever last year and he had filthy, filthy stuff, up to 97 with a couple of pitches (don't for get the change up!) that changed directions quickly. He's obviously comfortable in the starting role and with the idea of pitching to contact more and extending his pitch count.
2/26/2011 7:21:24 AM
Topic:
Thoughts on Fullerton/TCU -- Game 1

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Winkler has always been a guy that scouts shy away from. He was 5-11, 175 in high school and is now listed at 5-11, 205. Maybe he should list himself at 6-0 like everyone else. His delivery makes scouts go "oh my goodness, what do you do with that?!" But that same delivery makes hitter's go "Where the !?%@# is the ball coming from."

The bottom line is that Winkler has a) been enormously successful at every level, b) never even hinted at being hurt, c) has very high quality stuff that he commands well.

In my opinion he'll pitch in the ML's for a long time and shouldn't get out of the 2nd round. Really, if you're Tampa Bay and have 11 picks in the first 2 rounds, you don't want a guy who has probably a 75% chance of at least being a solid ML middle reliever?
edited by RawnsleyD on 2/26/2011
2/26/2011 7:30:36 AM
Topic:
RHP Taylor Jungmann, University of Texas

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Kendall, could you tap into your hometown sources and tell us about what type of stuff Jungmann is offering up there? His pitching line speaks for itself: 2 games, 2 shutouts, 18 IP, 9 H, 1 BB, 18 K's. He might belong on that short list of player's considered for the #1 overall pick at this point.

Along the UT lines, I'd like to tip my cap to Longhorn freshman Erich Weiss. I saw Weiss play a couple of times last year and he didn't strike me as the type of player who could compete at that level, especially without adding a significant amount of strength. I was evidently dead wrong. The Brenham native is 11-16 (.688) after 6 games with a couple of triples and a team leading 8 Rbi's and has already laid claim to the cleanup spot in the Longhorn lineup. Sometimes it feels good to be wrong!
3/1/2011 11:49:39 AM
Topic:
SE Louisiana has some impressive prospects

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Two things about Southeastern that stand out for me.

First, they are 6-1 and have played a difficult early season schedule and that's before playing LSU today. Their wins include FIU (twice), Alabama, Tulane and Central Florida.

Second, Lopez sounds like an interesting prospect for the 2012 draft. He worked in relief as a freshman (2-1, 5.23 in 32 innings) and is a closer now but it sounds like he has a starter's assortment of pitches. He was better known as a hitter/3B in high school so he should be athletic enough to work as a starter. As SE LA has 2 senior starters in Efferson and Watkins, I wonder if Lopez becomes a starter next year.
3/2/2011 8:30:53 AM
Topic:
Lucas Giolito vs. Trey Williams

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Thanks for posting the link.

I was able to see Giolito at the Area Code Games last August and took the following notes:

++ build for age, could be a 2013 with his B/D, slow paced delivery, hand drop set, long loose arm, warms up at 91-93, + fast arm, limited feel for off speed, CB spin not tight, not wild but not throwing to spots, very young but very, very good. FB 92-94 (T96), CB 78, Chg 85.

Interesting side note about Giolito. His father, Rick, is one of the major players in the video game industry and currently the President of Trilogy Studios and former VP for EA.

http://trilogystudios.com/about-us/leadership/rick-giolito
edited by RawnsleyD on 3/2/2011
pages: 1 2