Perfect Game Forum

tgold - all messages by user

3/12/2011 3:07:34 PM
Topic:
Lucas Giolito vs. Trey Williams

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Ooh good catch. Yes, he is a 2012, I went in and updated it. Thanks!
3/14/2011 9:40:52 PM
Topic:
Scouts in New Mexico?

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Cody,

The best time to get looks from colleges is probably during the summer. A lot of college recruiting coordinators spend the entire summer on the road evaluating and recruiting but during the spring they're focused on their season. Travel ball is a great way to get exposure.

Another good way to be seen is to go to a showcase. I believe PG will be running a West Uncommitted Showcase for unsigned seniors in early June.

Additionally, I recommend being proactive with the recruiting process. Its tough to find players you don't know about. I would recommend filling out the recruiting questionnaire (most programs post one on their website) for schools that are at a level that you realistically believe you can be successful at. If you've got video clips or a published scouting report from a reputable source it would be a good idea to send those to the recruiting coordinator of programs you are interested in.

Remember, even if you don't have every D1 powerhouse is beating down your door, you can go on to have a long and successful career after high school...if you're willing to put in the work to make it happen.

The 16th overall pick of the 2010 draft, Hayden Simpson, came from Division II Southern Arkansas. Dodgers prospect Jerry Sands came out of Division III Catawba, and after dominating the Midwest League last year he homered in his 5th AB in big league spring training a couple of weeks ago. Kurt Suzuki was a walk-on at Cal State Fullerton who went on to win the Johnny Bench Award as the Nation's best catcher and has been a productive regular with the Oakland A's for several years now.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
3/18/2011 12:31:41 PM
Topic:
March 8 Top 50 Rankings

tgold
tgold
Administrator
You can certainly make a very strong case that they belong in the rankings and they got serious consideration this week.

The Lobos were not initially on the radar heading into the season after going 11-17 last year. We initially took a wait and see approach with them when they got off to a good start, and this past week they just missed. If they keep it up they will crack the top 50 very soon and could climb quite high.

The matchup with CyRanch next weekend should be a good indication of how things will shake out in the district.
4/18/2011 11:44:22 AM
Topic:
March 8 Top 50 Rankings

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Sorry for the delayed response asadf, just got back from a great road trip where we were crazy busy with driving across the country, watching great teams and players and writing about them. We actually caught Franklin's 10-0 win over Bel Air on Tuesday, we have them ranked 11th in the Texahoma Region (9th in Texas).

The goal of the national top 50 isn't to get a lot of teams in, its to put the 50 best ones in. A lot of really good teams (including half of the top 100) don't get in. That is the reason for the Regional Top 25 rankings that we do. A&M, Southlake Carroll and Franklin are all in the regional top 25.
4/18/2011 11:47:57 AM
Topic:
March 8 Top 50 Rankings

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Correction: 11-0 win for Franklin.
4/21/2011 3:21:40 PM
Topic:
Who Are The Top 2012/2013 Power Hitters???

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Whole lot of power in that Pride lineup! They've been playing real well of late, huge win over Hamilton last night. Going to be moving up the Regional Rankings tomorrow.

Possible National Top 50 next week? Check back Tuesday to find out.
4/24/2011 6:30:20 PM
Topic:
March 8 Top 50 Rankings

tgold
tgold
Administrator
There are four Tucson area teams that got consideration this week: Canyon del Oro, Ironwood Ridge, Sabino and Salpointe Catholic. CDO was in the top 25 last week but fell out following a loss.

Coming into the year it looked as though CDO and Salpointe were the top teams, Salpointe had a midseason slump but has played better of late. Sabino played well most of the season before losing 2 of the past 3 to quality opponents. Ironwood Ridge doesn't have a very pretty record at 19-7 but they've played arguably the toughest schedule of anyone in their area and have a lot of quality wins.

At the moment CDO has put together the strongest body of work throughout the season, though the most important part of the season has not yet begun and a lot can change.
4/24/2011 6:41:26 PM
Topic:
" Georgia on my Mind " --17U or 18U WWBA East Cobb

tgold
tgold
Administrator
The 17u gets the largest scouting turnout and if everything else is equal (playing time, travel costs, schedule conflicts, etc) I recommend the 17u.
5/17/2011 3:28:51 PM
Topic:
dominant hitters

tgold
tgold
Administrator
By also being a dominant basestealer?
5/18/2011 6:00:53 PM
Topic:
2011 Arizona 5A-I, 5A-II State Playoffs

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Excellent stuff, thank you for the updates. Awesome video as well!
6/14/2011 1:09:47 PM
Topic:
Sunbelt Classic, MLB Tournament of Stars

tgold
tgold
Administrator
We will be covering the Tournament of Stars as well as the USA Baseball 16u championships (both east and west) this month.

We will also be covering the Area Code Games and the East Coast Pro Showcase later this season.
6/14/2011 1:38:11 PM
Topic:
West Coast Events

tgold
tgold
Administrator
BleacherCreature and Lancer22,

That is VERY disappointing to hear.

I was at the east coast events myself (Memorial Day, Sunshine East, PG-EC Invitational) so I can't speak to the content from the west coast events but thank you for bringing this to our attention, I will pass along the feedback to our staff that was there. I am hoping that it is a technical error that is causing the content to not show up or show up in the wrong place for some reason, which can happen during the busy times of the year.

What may have caused the problems with gamechanger is that there was a server crash at one point because we had so many games going on at once (east and west events at same time) that it overloaded their system and several sets of games had to be scored manually (pen and paper). It will take a while before we are able to enter those games. That may have been the cause of some of the gamechanger issues, though you'd have to contact gamechanger with any questions or concerns as we can't address any of them directly.

Obviously, we are still trying to iron out a lot of kinks with the huge transition to the new system, I personally thought that it had gone smoother than expected from my experience. Though it sounds like that was not the case across the board, while I'm disappointed to hear the bad news I'm glad you let us know so that we can address the issues.

Thanks to both of you,

-Todd
8/9/2011 5:05:02 PM
Topic:
Dylan Creech Does It Again

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Sounds like a good ballplayer, hope we get a chance to see him at a tournament or showcase at some point.
8/17/2011 10:12:38 AM
Topic:
PG Rating Grades

tgold
tgold
Administrator
All reports and grades from showcases are posted within 4 weeks of the events. Possibly sooner.

There will be a post on the What's Happening section of the front page letting everyone know when new reports are posted.
8/17/2011 10:32:04 AM
Topic:
Perfect Game Top Prospect Showcase Criteria

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Sorry for the delayed response, it's a busy time of year for us. Top Prospect events are not open to everyone, we try to reserve spots for players that have a shot at playing at the next level (anything from Junior College up to Division I/Pro Ball and everything in between).

This is not to say that we only take potential first rounders, as the goal is to allow potential college/pro players to showcase themselves to prospective schools. On occasion, high level underclass players are invited to play up in a TP event, these are very talented players who are looking for an opportunity to show that they can compete and succeed against higher level competition.

If a player is interested in a Top Prospect showcase that we haven't seen it helps to send a reference contact of a coach or scout that is familiar with his ability level. Often we're able to find information about a player from contacts in their area, but we're always interested in finding reliable information about players.

The criteria is not extremely strict but with limited roster space we try to reserve spots for players that will be able to get the most out of the opportunity. Hope that helps.
10/14/2011 8:52:43 AM
Topic:
Pool A WWBA World Championship

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Pool A has been been released! Check out the pool preview here, and feel free to discuss below.
10/14/2011 10:15:37 AM
Topic:
Pool B WWBA World Championship

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Pool B has been been released! Check out the pool preview here, and feel free to discuss below.
10/14/2011 10:37:10 AM
Topic:
Pool C WWBA World Championship

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Pool C has been been released! Check out the pool preview here, and feel free to discuss below.
10/14/2011 11:53:11 AM
Topic:
Pool C WWBA World Championship

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Top to bottom this is a very strong pool. Texas PG Teal has Wyatt Matthisen, who one veteran scout called the best Catching prospect in the 2012 class. I have only seen him pitch and was impressed, he primarily plays SS for his HS team (Calallen).

I'm looking forward to seeing the Chicago Scouts Association. Several players I have been hearing about but haven't had a chance to watch yet. Got to see Kevin Ross on the espn3.com broadcast of the Area Code Games and am excited to see him in person as well.

The Orioles Scout Team always has good pitching. Bobby Wahl was the pitcher who stands out to me from the 2009 team, he just had a great season in the Cape Cod League this summer after a solid freshman season at Ole Miss. The arm to watch coming in is Jack Wynkoop, a 6' 6" lefty committed to South Carlina who has shown rapid development over the past year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the other guys on the roster that I haven't seen yet were to have an impressive showing.
10/14/2011 12:24:42 PM
Topic:
Pool D WWBA World Championship

tgold
tgold
Administrator
Pool D has been been released! Check out the pool preview here, and feel free to discuss below.
pages: 1 2 3 4