Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CIVIL WAR CENTRAL

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
| you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/22/2012 6:29:06 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Y9our place for all discussion on the Civil War between Oregon State and Oregon.

To kick things off, here are some Pac-12 numbers in various stats for both teams. The parenthetcial number to the left is the team's place within the Pac-12. Highlighted numbers indicate an advantage. Looks like an offense (OSU) versus a defense (Oregon).

. . . . . . . . . . Oregon State . . . Oregon
Batting . . . . . . . 7) .285. . . . .10) .266
Slugging. . . . . . . 6) .407. . . . . 8) .379
OBP . . . . . . . . . 3) .384. . . . . 8) .359
Runs. . . . . . . . . 3) 336 . . . . . 8) 265
Hits. . . . . . . . . 7) 509 . . . . . 8) 481
RBIs. . . . . . . . . 4) 302 . . . . . 8) 231
Doubles . . . . . . . 4) 102 . . . . . 8) 84
Triples . . . . . . . 8) 9 . . . . . . 3) 19
Homers. . . . . . . . 3) 33. . . . . . 7) 27
Total bases . . . . . 5) 728 . . . . . 8) 684
Walks . . . . . . . . 1) 230 . . . . . 2) 209
HBP . . . . . . . . . 3) 72. . . . . . 6) 63
Strikeouts. . . . . . 8) 318 . . . . .10) 352
Sac bunts . . . . . . 1) 77. . . . . . 2) 73
Sac flies . . . . . . 6) 23. . . . . . 9) 18
Steal attempts. . . . 8) 55. . . . . . 2) 105
Stolen bases. . . . . 6) 38. . . . . . 3) 66
-----------------------------------------------
Caught opponents. . . 1) .561. . . . . 2) .521
ERA . . . . . . . . . 6) 3.62. . . . . 1) 2.93
OBA . . . . . . . . . 8) .265. . . . . 1) .227
Struck out. . . . . . 3) 352 . . . . . 1) 373
Struck out looking. . 2) 104 . . . . . 1) 109
Saves . . . . . . . . 3) 12. . . . . . 1) 19
Picked off. . . . . . 5) 6 . . . . . . 1) 15
Hits allowed. . . . . 9) 464 . . . . . 1) 399
Runs allowed. . . . . 7) 244 . . . . . 1) 187
Earned runs allowed . 7) 189 . . . . . 2) 162
Walks allowed . . . . 7) 183 . . . . . 11) 196
Doubles allowed . . . 7) 77. . . . . . 1) 52
Triples allowed . . . 8) 14. . . . . . 2) 8
Homers allowed. . . . 5) 18. . . . . . 2) 16
Wild pitches. . . . . 9) 38. . . . . . 5) 30
Balks . . . . . . . . 5) 4 . . . . . . 8) 8
Hit batters . . . . . 5) 49. . . . . .11) 71
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 11:05:58 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I am actually glad you defend your team-- I would have less respect for you if you were a wimp about it. I hate the ducks more than anything, and that hatred naturally extends towards those bandwagon fans who know next to nothing but pretend to know everything about "their team." Regarding actual fans, fans who would still root for them even in the low times, I may hate their team, but I respect them for being good fans, even if following the ducks makes them a lost cause!

And yeah, O-Live is worthless for fan banter, no matter who you follow.
+3 permalink
5/29/2012 10:09:44 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, I am the only duck fan on this board.. and for the most part the team deserves what comes there way good or bad. As for categorizing fans.. I am on the fence when it comes to dissing other teams. But from my experience.. beaver fans seem to get agitated and want to point fingers at personel, players for not getting the success/accolades they think they deserve. Don't get me wrong.. there is a reason I spend most of my time here. I can live with the beaver fans in this forum, but have been turned off on other modes like Oregon live, Oregon live forums.. I even frequent angrybeavs.. and find that place is pretty good. So I guess what I am saying is we all choose our battles, and I am not a wimp when it comes to defending the ducks. They have a solid record, they have proved themselves this year, and up until last week have shown resilency. I am not too worried about the outcome- this team may seem over-rated at times, but when push comes to shove- they have gotten it done. So for the over rated comment- I think that is a little childish. 42 wins in a tough conference, with legitimate contenders has proved this team and rewarded them with what they have right now. Will they take advantage of it? I hope so.. but if not- I am proud of this team. All teams are starting over and need to win from here on out. Good luck in the post season everyone!
+2 permalink
5/27/2012 4:48:49 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I really hope we end up in Gary, Ind. Purdue...not in their own stadium seems like the easiest of the host sites.
+2 permalink
5/28/2012 11:43:06 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
OK- SB I'll take your bait. It always seems like a gang tackle.. so yeah I get a little bent at times. But hey, if I'm not here.. who will take up the slack. Duck127 was a flash in the pan. I guess I have been hardened for a few years, and yeah.. total domination in the state is a good thing. Enjoy this beaver nation, but remember like you guys showed, that any team, can beat any other team, at any given time. Don't second guess the committe, don't insult a decent resume/player- based on one emotional week/performance. Most of the guys on our team have proven that one bad week does not define one person/player. You guys have shown it as well. Horton defined the game of baseball eloquently.. Baseball is like life. It is all about making adjustments from past failures, learning from mistakes to get better, and that with hard work, good things happen. Life is good- Enjoy what you have..
peace out
RD
+2 permalink
5/29/2012 1:39:11 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Nothin but luv for ya RD. Your duckies? Eh, not so much. You take a good ribbing and give back as good as you get. Musta been a little, no a lot, tough after the smack talk by you before last weekend then have to come back on here. You're a stand up guy, misguided, but stand up.

Good luck in your regional. Still not sure what the sweep may have done head-wise to your mud-puddle birds, but Friday and Saturday will tell. I just can't bring myself to root for the ducks unless y'all make it to Omaha and we don't then Oregon teams first, Pac-12 second and anyone playing a SEC team third in terms of who I'll root for after the Beavs.
+2 permalink
5/29/2012 2:47:59 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah- after cruising over to LSU's site and checking out what is stirring over there.. yeah I hope you guys rip them a new one. They seem to be way more cocky than me (LOL ophi) Guess you have a new battle. Good luck. Oh, AK-47 nominated for semis in golden spikes.. Although we all knew that was going to happen.. lol
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 2:50:13 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I was at the Eugene Airport the other day, and saw a picture of Alex Keudell on a Billboard. I thought that was pretty strange, Guess athletic department has to show who's boss for teams who come in for their regionals. Actually gave me goosebumps. People are flying into play us.. sick.
edited by Riverduck on 5/29/2012
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 10:29:36 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
So, RD, speaking of stupid and ignorant fans for both our teams... just read on PO a fan talking smack about Kendall for not loving the Beavs at all in his regional breakdown. Funniest part was when he ranted that Rivals improved so much after Kendall left. If I had a username at PO I would have pointed out that Rivals doesn't even HAVE a baseball section anymore except for a random smattering of obsolete headlines.
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 6:42:02 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
RD, who says you were the target? While hurting the ducks was more important to me than helping the Beavers, I don't particularly enjoy rubbing salt on the wound except on jerks who deserve it. From what I've observed, you're not a jerk, just a better-than-average duck fan.
+1 permalink
5/28/2012 8:17:53 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Dam. I go to Vegas for the weekend, and come home to find out that this board has been invaded by a colony of long lost Beavers. Rock Band
Welcome aboard!

Give RD a little just a little bit of a break. He is standing as a solitary Duck now that it seems duckling-Duckfan127 seems to have left. Did RD meet with you Bevs at the game & ya'll get to share a friendly adult beverage?Toast

I hope Kendall is wrong and you guys get sent to Rice instead of LSU. Since I have no dog in the fight this year, I'll go there & pull for ya (or any Pac team for that matter). Since BeaverQuist is in San Antonio it would be a just reward for his service to our country* to get the oportunity to see his Beavers without having to travel far.

* Thank you for your service!

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
5/28/2012 11:34:29 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
Personally I'm enjoying watching RD drive Beaver fans up a wall. Any more tears from Ophi and the Beaver fans and the place might flood.
edited by MostUnknown on 5/28/2012
+1 permalink
5/29/2012 11:24:02 AM

borgguy
borgguy
i second SB i have several friends who are on the "dark side" of the civil war but they are not bandwagon fans, and i can respect that, RD I always enjoy seeing your stabs at the beavs, and that you are willing to stand up for your team, even when you are frequently alone, that makes this thread so enjoyable. good luck in your regional as i posted in the prediction thread, i think you guys advance and will be rooting for you to make it to CWS, just as I am rooting for ALL pac-12 teams to make it to the CWS and have 5 of the 8 spots all but assuring another national title for the Conference of Champions. and as i have stated several times would love nothing more than a CW for the national title, where whoever wins gets to hold that up over the other team for a looooooong time.

--
GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
5/24/2012 12:22:33 PM

DesertBeav
DesertBeav
Used to follow Kendall on the old site and have been on PG in the shadows for a while before signing up. But I feel it's time to chime in before RiverDuck makes me have a rage stroke. Can't wait for this weekend's series. Was at last weeks OSU-WSU series and had a blast. I agree OpihiMan and Connor, I will not pay any money to the Duckies or will I ever lose another OSU-UO gear bet again. last one had me running down my street in my skivies with a green O painted on my chest at 1 am yelling that the ducks rule...........never again. Go Beavs!!!
+1 permalink
5/24/2012 4:54:41 PM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
I'll be there Sunday. And as long as Duck fans don't try to start any fights, they'll be fine. I'm all for rooting on your team and talking trash no matter if I'm in Corvallis, Seattle, or Eugene, but it doesn't go beyond talk. Hopefully Oregon's fans have the same polciy.
+1 permalink
5/24/2012 7:59:42 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Massey

For those unfamiliar with Ken Massey’s website, here are some interesting things I dredged up there.

Massey uses an iterative rating system like Boyd’s. If you look at the top 20 teams, you’ll recognize six Pac-12 teams, including the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. Oregon is #2 under Massey, and OSU is #16. In Massey’s computations for offense and defense, Oregon is ranked 34 OFF and 1 DEF; Oregon State is 11 OFF and 32 DEF.

In the upper left corner of the homepage, click the More button and select Predictions. You’ll find some (not all) games listed for each calendar day and an average score based on their season stats with the home field advantage variable included. You can click through the days. The Friday Civil War game is listed with a predicted 4-3 OSU victory. (All three games would have the same prediction numbers, at least until the recently played game’s results are factored in for the next one, but I doubt they’ll change that much. The two are pretty even foes according to massey, with OSU holding a slim 53 to 47% edge.

You can also create your own matchups. Back on the main page, click the More button and select Matchups. Here you can select two teams and see what an average score between them would be, based on their season stats. For Oregon HOSTING Oregon State, the Ducks’ chances improve to a 59% chance to win, and the 4-3 score flips to the Duck Side. You can also select a number of games played and click the random score generator to get a feel for how a three-game Civil War might play out.
+1 permalink
5/24/2012 11:08:33 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Great idea ASU74. So, I have a wager to RiverDuck and Duck 666 (can't remember your name, sorry). If the Beavers win the Series, I have a couple of OSU T-shirts I'll send you and expect that you wear them and post a picture of you wearing them. If the Ducks win, I have some underwear with green trim and yellow streaks (Duck Colors) that I will wear. I'm also happy to post a picture to attest to the fact that I followed through with my bet. What's you say?

ASU74 wrote:
It has really been fun this year being a fly on the wall listening to all the posturing between the Beaver fans and the Duck fan(s). Now may be the time for both sides to "man up".

A few years ago I made a wager with a Razorback friend of mine. The bet was simple. If ASU won the series she had to wear an ASU shirt & hat during a game at Baum. If Arkansas won, I had to do the same. ASU lost, and I had to wear the Razorback gear at the next game I went to in Packard, which was the Tempe Regional.

The proof that the wager was fulfilled was a photo.

I propose that if the Ducks win this series, that the OSU fans purchase a Duck hat & shirt and wear it at their next home game & the same goes for Duck fans(s). If you loose the series you have to purchase & wear Beaver gear and wear it at your next home game.

The proof that each sides wager is fulfilled are the photos to be posted here on Perfect Game.

If you wish to participate all you have to do is post on this thread that you accept!

Whatch say Oregonians?
+1 permalink
5/25/2012 1:02:11 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, I appreciate the lesson on the Desert Beaver. I knew I could count on your expertise and expert teaching abilitity. And thanks for the reminder about the article in the 1997 Oregon Beaver Quarterly.

I had to go up to my attic to find my Oregon Beaver Quarterly archives. As I skimmed through various editions and articles, I was overwhelmed with emotions. I ran across two of my favorite articles: " Eat a Beaver, Save a Tree." This was an article about the importance of protecting our forests. Another article that brought tears to my eyes was titled: " Shave Your Beaver to Protect from Desease." I have first-hand knowledege with shaved beavers, but I have found that not all Beavers have access to razors and that the government should either give out free razors or should open up "Clinics" for Beavers than can't afford razors or that need assistance with personal hygene.

Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Been way to busy this week with work and interviewing for a new job. Looks like I have missed some good Duck and Beaver ribbing. RD, you and your little brother, Duck 666, or whatever his name is are holding your own. I can't wait to get to Goss Stadium tomorrow to watch the game. It's also great to see another Beaver, Desert Beaver, in the forum. I tried to google and see what a Desert Beaver might look like, but had no luck. We had a lengthy discussion last year about Beaver Nation and all of the Beaver demographics out there - Florida Beavers, Southern Beavers, Oregon Beavers, Conner Beavers, Borg Beavers, Hawaii Beavers, Dodger Beavers, and more. However, I must defer to Florida Beaver (FB), who is the expert of all Beaver things.

May the best team win!
edited by BeaverBob on 5/24/2012

BB,

If I recall the information in the 1997 Oregon Beaver Quarterly report from the June issue correctly, a Desert Beaver is unusually dry and can often be found with a viperidae (look it up) under the tail. However, during times of heavy rains, the Desert Beaver can flood, causing erosion and in some instances, cause death to the unwary traveler. Caution should ALWAYS be used when playing with Desert Beavers.
+1 permalink
5/25/2012 4:11:46 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
RD, good article. I don't know about you, but Horton came into Eugene with some kind of attitude, displayed by comments that Oregon would be the recruiting juggernaut of the PNW and minimizing OSU's accomplishments. I am pleased he has started to show more respect of late, starting with the pregame to last year's Civil War, when the man looked truly humbled. In this article he is genuinely respectful, and that impresses me a lot. Props to George. Cool
+1 permalink
5/25/2012 4:48:41 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I need to get nominated as comeback member of the year. Need to have some awards at the end of this. MVP- DM for putting up and moderating this quack show/ beaver brawl..
+1 permalink
5/25/2012 11:54:21 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I had the privilege to watch tonight's game with Dodger Matt and OphiMan. Yes, I am planning to be at the game tomorrow. Can't wait to see the Beavs go 2-0. Also, go Cats, Cardinal, and Bruins.

borgguy wrote:
one down! gonna be present for #2 tomorrow. anyone else going tomorrow?

edited by BeaverBob on 5/26/2012
+1 permalink
5/26/2012 5:54:30 PM

BeaverQuist
BeaverQuist
Unfortunatley, I was unable to watch the game as ROOT sports does not air in Texas. Trust me, I called around to see, haha. Once again, I was watching the game on Gametracker. At first I thought Healy's fly ball was a sac fly, but then I immediatley saw that it was a catch him out, throw him out double play to end the game. To say the least, my other shipmates in the computer lounge looked at me foolishly. I simply responded, "Civil War".

Great to see the Beavers closing strong heading into the regional round and this will surely help where we end up going as a 2 seed.

And it gives me great pleasure to see what looked like a sure thing for the Ducks to at least share the Pac-12 Championship to be a less likely event now.

Looking forward to watching (on Gametracker) the series/regular season finale!

GO BEAVS!
+1 permalink
5/26/2012 8:36:41 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Could have gone either way? Yeah, I suppose so. It looks pretty close....

+1 permalink
5/27/2012 12:31:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Here's the YouTube link to that game-ending double-play.

I love that little victory skip Gorton did before spiking the baseball.
This is going to be one of my favorite video clips for some time.
+1 permalink
5/27/2012 2:48:46 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Lost a post here somehow. Confused

Oh well. Conforto hits a double for RBI #71 and the Beavers lead 2-0.

I'm really starting to like Gorton behind the dish. He's looking and playing more and more like Mitch Canham. I know he came in as a pitcher/outfielder, and moved to catcher with the Corvallis Knights. He has grown into the position.
+1 permalink
5/27/2012 4:30:58 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
If the Beavs get rewarded with a crappy placement like Florida or FSU I'm gunna be pissed...give us Purdue!
+1 permalink
5/27/2012 4:37:30 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Arizona walks off in the bottom of the 9th with the PAC-12 title, Duck failure lands them 2nd!

Congrats Wildcats 2012 PAC-12 Champs!

*enjoy your payback Ducks
+1 permalink
5/27/2012 4:41:07 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
YES!!!! Congrats to Arizona.

Well RD.....how's them apples feel? We of the Beaver Nation well remember that feeling from last year and I remember the hoots and hollers from the duck fan(s) about taking it away from us. Turn about sure feels good. See you in Nebraska...if you can manage to get out of Eugene.....
+1 permalink
| you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » CIVIL WAR CENTRAL