Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 12

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 6 .. 8 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/4/2012 9:25:33 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
Riverduck, congrats on another Duck win. Your pitching is tremendous. The difference between the Beavs and Ducks right now is the pitching coach. Horton might be the best in the Country. Yeskie, well, I think I have already said enough.

Thanks BB.. Ever since the last weekend of the season.. I knew Keudell was going to go off. I am blown away at what this rag tag team has done thus far.
0 permalink
5/4/2012 9:29:32 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I wonder if Brocker is Yeski'se designated driver.
After Brocker gave up back to back HRs against Arizona, I'd never let him pitch again.Then, he gave up 4 runs the following night.

Okay, no more venting. Got to get ready for class tomorrow.

Riverduck wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:
Now he cycles through 4 pitchers and settles on Brocker?!?!? Maybe he really does want to get fired...he really is an idiot

Brocker Baby! Yeah!!!

edited by BeaverBob on 5/4/2012
0 permalink
5/4/2012 10:07:53 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yuck. What a horrible end to an awesome Ben Wetzler performance. I must be missing something in Yeskie's pitching choices and his philosophy. Why Ryan Gorton in such a close game? Of course he gives up a double and a triple. Why let Scott Schultz throw only one pitch (a popup out)? Why pitch Matt Boyd to only one batter (a strikeout)? Why bring in Brocker with a runner on third? Okay, he struck the last guy out. Good. But then to send him out there again in the 9th? Everyone knows he has trouble, especially in close games, especially late in close games. Why Schultz and Boyd, two guys with great results, only pitch to two batters? And Brocker faces seven, four of whom reach safely? Where was Bryant? Where was Starr? Why only one batter for Boyd?

Credit Stanford. They have a record of doing this to a lot of teams: Do nothing, do nothing, do nothing...then BAM! Four or five runs in the 8th or 9th to win it. But this could have been won with better pitching management. I am not going to jump on the fire Yeskie bandwagon, but his decisions have me scratching my head all the time. And I have to wonder if it is only he making the horrible decisions. Would not Casey, watching the game, react the way the rest of us Beaver fans do? "Nate, what? You're bringing Brocker in again in a close game in the late innings? Let's keep Boyd in there a few more batters until Bryant is warm." Would Casey be sitting there saying, "Yeah, okay, whatever you want to do. I'm just watching the game. I don't have any say on the pitching"?

There's more going on than we are getting from GameTracker.

WildCard, nice relief pitching there tonight. Stanford's pen did a hell of a lot better than Oregon State's. Congrats.
0 permalink
5/4/2012 10:16:37 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wetzler outpitched Appel. Both faced 31 batters over 7.0 IP. Wetzler allowed 2 runs (thanks to poor bullpen relief) on 7 hits and struck out 5. Appel allowed 2 runs on 9 hits and struck 4. It's a shame to think that the Wetzler and the Beavers could have won this game if Yeskie had brought in Scott Schultz instead of Gorton and left Matt Boyd in there longer and brought in Bryant for the 9th. I was not sure Benny was going to go as far as he did, after showing the control problems early, but this was a game he should have had in his W column.

Tomorrow is the big game. I want Fry to go as long as possible because I just don't trust the pitching coach's decisions in late close games. We need the win tomorrow because Sunday's game is not going to be easy and today's loss hurts.
0 permalink
5/4/2012 10:53:25 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one
  • Oregon 6, Arizona 1.
    Oregon leads series 1-0.
  • Stanford 8, Oregon State 2.
    Stanford leads series 1-0.
  • Washington 7, USC 0.
    Washington leads series 1-0.
  • Wazzu 10, Cal 4.
    Wazzu leads series 1-0.
  • Arizona State 5, Utah 3.
    ASU leads series 1-0.
  • UCLA, Purdue: Double-header tomorrow.
0 permalink
5/4/2012 10:53:48 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
Thanks DM...quite pleased with the pitching effort tonight. Looking for a good outing from Mooneyham Sat., he's due for one ! If OSU doesn't get to him early, the Beavs are in big trouble.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 12:44:53 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Not sure if it is a "Fire Yeskie" bandwagon yet, But I am going to be in Oregon next weekend and I might just have to find Nate and whack some sense into him. Either that or take away his bottle. Maybe that's it.....he's too dam drunk during the games to make good decisions. But....DM, I think you are right. There is more to this than just Yeskie making bad moves. I can't see Casey just sitting back and letting Yeskie let everything to to hell in a handbasket and not say anything.

Dam frustrating.

Tomorrow. It's gotta get better cuz' it sure as hell can't get much worse. Well, it can, but not by a whole lot.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 8:12:48 AM

Duckfan127
Duckfan127
You can't ignore the great pitching this year at UO , but the hitting has been suprising I remember the last home game I saw this year beore I left and it was a loss veruses Utah and I thought the hitting was going us back again , despite all of the injuries and losing a ton of pitching this team just knows how to win . As for Alex being a first round pick not sure he's pitching well , but I remember Tyler Anderson pitch many times and I knew he was a first round pick.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 8:38:32 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Duckfan127 wrote:
You can't ignore the great pitching this year at UO , but the hitting has been suprising I remember the last home game I saw this year beore I left and it was a loss veruses Utah and I thought the hitting was going us back again , despite all of the injuries and losing a ton of pitching this team just knows how to win . As for Alex being a first round pick not sure he's pitching well , but I remember Tyler Anderson pitch many times and I knew he was a first round pick.

Yeah, Anderson was really good, but I think Keudell has found something and coupled with our defense he is really tough to beat. 33 wins is crazy.
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]his last seven starts, Keudell is 7-0 with a 0.95 ERA. He has tossed three completes games and in 57 innings has allowed just six runs while holding opposing batters to a .205 clip. that is just sick numbers. Not sure if Anderson ever had numbers like that. When he shut the beavs out last year.. I knew he would go off this year. I guess, put it this way he is improving his draft stock nicely.[/font]
edited by Riverduck on 5/5/2012
edited by Riverduck on 5/5/2012
0 permalink
5/5/2012 10:13:51 AM

Duckfan127
Duckfan127
I haven't seen him pitch in a while so I wonder what adjustments he's made in his mechanics or how he goes after hitters at the plate
0 permalink
5/5/2012 11:00:48 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Duckfan127 wrote:
I haven't seen him pitch in a while so I wonder what adjustments he's made in his mechanics or how he goes after hitters at the plate
Pinpoint control, nasty off speed, all pitches have dirt on them. If you get behind on him, you will not get anything good to hit. Ground out and DP are his bread and butter.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 11:03:42 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Duckfan127 wrote:

With our defense being top in the league, he just lets them do their stuff.. Really good head on his shoulders as well. Does not have heat, but the movement on his ball is incredible. Mechanics are sound.. no tipping off of anything. Reed is very similiar. Gold is hit or miss, but is getting better every outing. Really liked how Brando pitched as well.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 11:05:34 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
Not sure if it is a "Fire Yeskie" bandwagon yet, But I am going to be in Oregon next weekend and I might just have to find Nate and whack some sense into him. Either that or take away his bottle. Maybe that's it.....he's too dam drunk during the games to make good decisions. But....DM, I think you are right. There is more to this than just Yeskie making bad moves. I can't see Casey just sitting back and letting Yeskie let everything to to hell in a handbasket and not say anything.

Dam frustrating.

Tomorrow. It's gotta get better cuz' it sure as hell can't get much worse. Well, it can, but not by a whole lot.

You know it is a good weekend when the beavs start breaking out the "fire yeskie" statement. And I always love it when it is Brocker time.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 11:13:24 AM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM and FB, good points about the fact that these really bad pitching decisions are not being made in a vacuum. However, Casey has threatened to retire at least three times since 2008. Perhaps he has already checked out is just letting Yeskie and Lees make these decisions. According to Parker, Lees is calling all of the offensive plays.

The rumor abut Casey retiring and Lees taking over next year has popped up several times. When he does retire, I’d rather see someone like Scott Brosius who is currently coaching at Linfield come in. What better recruiting draw than a coach who played for the Yankees, won a World Series Championship, and was also the MVP in the World Series. He has also been very successful in his 5 years at Linfield College.

Florida Beaver wrote:

Dam frustrating.

0 permalink
5/5/2012 11:44:04 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
DM and FB, good points about the fact that these really bad pitching decisions are not being made in a vacuum. However, Casey has threatened to retire at least three times since 2008. Perhaps he has already checked out is just letting Yeskie and Lees make these decisions. According to Parker, Lees is calling all of the offensive plays.

The rumor abut Casey retiring and Lees taking over next year has popped up several times. When he does retire, I’d rather see someone like Scott Brosius who is currently coaching at Linfield come in. What better recruiting draw than a coach who played for the Yankees, won a World Series Championship, and was also the MVP in the World Series. He has also been very successful in his 5 years at Linfield College.

Florida Beaver wrote:

Dam frustrating.

If the Ducks continue to do what they do, and make it far into post season... the Ducks might be looking for a new Head Coach.. Brosius sounds like a good choice as well.
I just think Horton wants to get back to the warm weather. I think his contract might be up. He wants to prove he can build a team from scratch, and take them all the way. Looks like this year might be his chance.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 1:38:08 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Mooneyham is sick. JR RHP Dean McArdle, from Sioux City, Iowa, starts for the Cardinal today. McArdle has numbers similar to Mooneyham's: 3-1 record, 4.06 ERA, .298 OBA. In conference games only, McArdle has done much better than Mooneyham: 1-0 vs. 1-4 record, 2.35 vs. 5.39 ERA, 2.50 vs. 2.87 OBA. But those 6 games were all relief appearances (7.2 IP) compared to Mooneyham's 6 starts (34.0 IP). McArdle has two starts this season, but none in conference.

My take: McArdle should do well the first two times through the Beaver lineup. Things might get interesting around inning 6 or 7.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 1:45:37 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
In his interview with Parker, Casey did take some blame when he said Yeskie should have only left Brocker in the game for one out. However, most of the blame was placed on the ptiching staff. I always thought leadership started at the top. I'd love to be able to blame my employees when bad decisions are made and peformance is not met.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 1:59:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:

Brosius hasn't done as well at Sinfield as the former head coach at George Fox did. That guy only managed to win a national championship at GFU. Plus he has been recognized by his coaching peers as an exemplary coach with high standards in "sportsmanship, integrity, character, and ethics."

Nothing against Brosius, but when Pat Casey calls it quits, Oregon State would do better hiring this guy as head coach, IMHO.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 2:01:54 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt wrote:
My take: McArdle should do well the first two times through the Beaver lineup. Things might get interesting around inning 6 or 7.

Ryan Barnes leads off with a 2-0 homer to left field. Maybe I spoke too soon about McArdle gioing 6 innings.
0 permalink
5/5/2012 2:18:37 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Brosius hasn't done as well at Sinfield as the former head coach at George Fox did. That guy only managed to win a national championship at GFU. Plus he has been recognized by his coaching peers as an exemplary coach with high standards in "sportsmanship, integrity, character, and ethics."

Nothing against Brosius, but when Pat Casey calls it quits, Oregon State would do better hiring this guy as head coach, IMHO.

Okay. Bailey sounds like a sound choice. Already know the system and players and he can go ahead and FIRE Yeskie as his first order of business
0 permalink
pages: 1.. 3 4 5 6 .. 8 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 12