Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 10

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/22/2012 2:05:11 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Ooh. Taylor Ard, three-run homer in the 1st. Wazzu 3-0. Don't know how long Jeff Gold will be on the mound for Oregon. Maybe I missed something: What happened to Tessar?
Like I said.. we lost tessar, altobelli, jones, Not good..
0 permalink
4/22/2012 2:19:04 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
RD,
Sorry about your ducks, kinda. Just when it looks like things are great........

I am still not sold on Child as a starter. He has some of the worst hot/cold flashes. In the same innings. Not good. We'll see what happens though. Onlt the 2nd inning.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 5:37:08 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
I am still not sold on Child as a starter. He has some of the worst hot/cold flashes. In the same innings. Not good. We'll see what happens though. Onlt the 2nd inning.

I think he's done pretty well. He certainly isn't very flappable.

Recently, I'm becoming less sold on Bryant as a closer. Five singles in the final inning? And they were talking about bringing in Cole Brocker to stop the bleeding? This had the chance to be a much uglier game.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 5:43:33 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Beavers take the series from UCLA, ducks lose their series to the COUGS! What more can a beaver fan ask for? Oh yeah, I know what I still want...Yeskie fired!
0 permalink
4/22/2012 5:46:05 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I thought Boyd was supposed to be our ace closer. What happened with that?

Anyways, taking the series from the Bruins made for an excellent weekend. Now we got the duckies mid-week and then the condoms for the weekend. I am thinking the rest of the regular season favors us from home/away opponents standpoint. Ain't counting my beavers before they get laid, but after the last 2 weeks, I feel much better.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 6:26:23 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Florida Beaver wrote:
I thought Boyd was supposed to be our ace closer. What happened with that?

Anyways, taking the series from the Bruins made for an excellent weekend. Now we got the duckies mid-week and then the condoms for the weekend. I am thinking the rest of the regular season favors us from home/away opponents standpoint. Ain't counting my beavers before they get laid, but after the last 2 weeks, I feel much better.

Can't agree more, 8-1 the past 2 weeks including a series win against a national seed contender in UCLA...not bad, hope we can keep it up
0 permalink
4/22/2012 8:01:32 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three

Things got a little tighter in the championship race as the top four teams all lost today while the next five all won. Arizona maintains a one-game lead over second place UCLA and Oregon.

• Oregon State 7, UCLA 6. The Beavers scored two unearned runs in the 1st (thanks to starting pitcher Zack Weiss’s errant throw on a sacrifice bunt), and UCLA evened it at two in the top of the 2nd on a 2-out 2-run homer by Cody Regis. Weiss repeated the walk, sac bunt, and throwing error sequence in the 4th. One out, one single, and one unearned run later, Weiss misfielded another bunt to load the bases, and Savage sent him packing. David Berg hit Max Gordon to force in the Beavers’ 4th unearned run. UCLA tied it again in the 7th on a Cody Regis single and a bases-loaded wild pitch by closer Tony Bryant. In the bottom of the 7th, Tyler Smith walked and Conforto, who failed to get a bunt down on the first two pitches, belted a 1-2 double to right. Ryan Gorton was hit by the first pitch but the plate umpire ruled he leaned into it, so Gorton instead hit a 2-run single. With runners at second and third, UCLA called in closer Scott Griggs, whose first pitch went as a passed ball to the backstop, allowing the Beavers to score their third run of the inning. In the 9th, Bryant gave up singles to the first three batters, but a baserunning error put two of them on third at the same time, so the Beavers had one out with Bruins at the corners and Beau Amaral, the tying run, at the plate. Amaral hit a sac fly for an RBI, but his 21-game hit streak came to an end as he went 0 for 3 today. With two out, Pat Valaika hit the fourth single of the inning against Bryant. With the tying runs at the corners and the go-ahead at the plate, Cody Keefer rapped the fifth single, scoring another run. With the tying run in scoring position, Jeff Gelalich, who finished 3 for 5, hit a flyout to left. Tyler Heineman did not play today. Tyler Smith was 0 for 3, and Michael Conforto was 1 for 3 with 1 RBI. Cody Regis led the Bruins going 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs.
    Oregon State wins series 2-1.
  • Stanford 9, ASU 5. Stanford completes the sweep, coming from behind twice to break the .500 mark in conference play with an 8-7 record. FR 3B Alex Blandino was 9 for 16 (.563 average) for the week, including four homers, a double, and 11 RBIs. James McDonald was 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs for ASU. ASU outhit Stanford 10-8...and outerred them 4-3.
    Stanford sweeps series 3-0.
  • Washington 6, Arizona 5 (12 innings). The Wildcats scored one in the 1st and the Huskies answered with two in the bottom half. Arizona hung a 3 on the board in the 4th to take a 4-2 lead. UW scored three of their own in the 8th to inch ahead 5-4. In the 9th, Seth Mejias-Brean hit a two-out double, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored the tying run on a fielding error by FR 1B Trevor Mitsui. In the 10th, UW loaded the bases with one out for freshman phenom Branden Berry, but he and Ty Afenir struck out to end the frame. In the bottom of the 12th, the Huskies got a leadoff double from Michael Camporeale and an IBB. With two outs and runners at second and third, Berry got his second chance and came through with a game-winning single.
    Arizona wins series 2-1.
  • Wazzu 10, Oregon 6. the Cougars jumped to a 3-0 lead in the 1st on Taylor Ard’s 3-run homer. The Ducks shortened the lead with 2 runs of their own in the bottom of the 1st, but Wazzu scored four more against starter Jeff gold in the 5th to take a 7-2 lead and send Gold to the showers. The Cougs added a run in the 6th and two more in the 8th on Ard’s second homer of the day to run away with it. The Ducks struggled, scoring one in the 8th on Andrew Mendenhall’s solo homer and three more in the bottom of the 9th, but they left the bases loaded with the tying run at the plate as Shaun Chase grounded out to 2B. Taylor Ard led the offensive onslaught for Wazzu, going 3 for 5 with two homers and 5 RBIs. Patrick Claussen was 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs. Brett Thomas led the Ducks with a 2 for 3, 2-RBI effort.
    Wazzu wins series 2-1.
  • Cal 5, Utah 2. Chris Paul went 1 for 4 with 2 RBIs for the Bears. Tony Renda, Mitch Delfino, and Vince Bruno each had two hits. Cal now sits alone in 8th place.
    Cal sweeps series 3-0.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 8:09:05 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 10 scores

Our lone Stanford fan, on the strength of that Cardinal sweep, gets his first top weekly score of the season. BeaverBob correctly picked the most series (three), only missing Cal and Stanford--the two that would have given him the most points.
  • 20.4 WildCard85
  • 19.2 BeaverBob
  • 19.2 cswanson2k7
  • 19.2 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 16.8 Dodger Matt
  • 16.8 Florida Beaver
  • 16.8 MostUnknown
  • 15.6 borgguy
  • 15.6 OpihiMan
  • 14.4 Rowdy
  • 13.2 ASU74
  • 13.2 ConnorOSU
  • 12.0 RiverDuck
0 permalink
4/22/2012 8:21:20 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pac-12 conference game prediction averages so far

I hate to point this out, but the top seven guys are not Beaver fans, and the six guys on the bottom are.

WKS . .TTL . . . AVG . . NAME
4 . . 75.4 . . 18.85 . . Rowdy
6 . .109.0 . . 18.17 . . FullertonBaseballFan
5 . . 90.2 . . 18.04 . . RiverDuck
6 . .106.8 . . 17.80 . . WildCard85
6 . .106.2 . . 17.70 . . MostUnknown
4 . . 69.8 . . 17.45 . . cswanson2k7
6 . .104.4 . . 17.40 . . ASU74
6 . .102.6 . . 17.10 . . Dodger Matt
6 . .101.6 . . 16.93 . . ConnorOSU
6 . .101.4 . . 16.90 . . Florida Beaver
5 . . 83.0 . . 16.60 . . borgguy
6 . . 98.6 . . 16.43 . . BeaverBob
6 . . 93.2 . . 15.53 . . OpihiMan
0 permalink
4/22/2012 8:34:30 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
Thanks DM !! I'm speechless
0 permalink
4/22/2012 9:07:31 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Things feel normal again. RD fills the bottom weekly slot.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 9:12:42 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:

How many guys have finished the top two in a row.. I would think me being at the bottom is not normal. Still in 3rd place, and not complaining. Half our team and a starting pitcher are GONE.. due to injuries. Thomas was one of our best hitters. Really hurts.. and really, did I not predict it.. I said we had a 70% chance of losing.. so at least I understand my team unlike some beavos up north.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 10:56:50 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Riverduck wrote:
Half our team and a starting pitcher are GONE.. due to injuries. Thomas was one of our best hitters. Really hurts.. and really, did I not predict it.. I said we had a 70% chance of losing.. so at least I understand my team unlike some beavos up north.

Ahh, there are those excuses I was expecting...someone seems a little salty after 1 weekend didn't go his way
0 permalink
4/22/2012 11:06:11 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Riverduck wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:

How many guys have finished the top two in a row.. I would think me being at the bottom is not normal. Still in 3rd place, and not complaining. Half our team and a starting pitcher are GONE.. due to injuries. Thomas was one of our best hitters. Really hurts.. and really, did I not predict it.. I said we had a 70% chance of losing.. so at least I understand my team unlike some beavos up north.

RD,

You did predict that. It really has to suck, being in top form, kicking the bricks outta every team you play and then the injury bug bites ya. For real, I feel for you. There is always next week against Cal.
0 permalink
4/23/2012 7:53:01 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:

We need Alto, Thomas, Tessar, and Jones.. like yesterday.

RD,

You did predict that. It really has to suck, being in top form, kicking the bricks outta every team you play and then the injury bug bites ya. For real, I feel for you. There is always next week against Cal.
Well, this is the part of the schedule I really dread.. I am thinking we may not win a series from here on out. With our club decimated, I am not sure they can turn it around. Been a good ride though.
Oh, and yeah, really good job getting UCLA at home. You guys are starting to make a move. Here is to a good Tuesday game.
edited by Riverduck on 4/23/2012
0 permalink
4/23/2012 3:10:05 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
OpihiMan wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
Half our team and a starting pitcher are GONE.. due to injuries. Thomas was one of our best hitters. Really hurts.. and really, did I not predict it.. I said we had a 70% chance of losing.. so at least I understand my team unlike some beavos up north.

Ahh, there are those excuses I was expecting...someone seems a little salty after 1 weekend didn't go his way

well you win one series and you declare things are back to normal? The other teams you beat only count if you are a beaver.. If my memory serves me right you won 6 games in a row, and you lost like 15 rpi points..
0 permalink
4/23/2012 4:32:56 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I never said things are back to normal, just that the Beavs went 8-1 and had a good couple of weeks...doesn't matter who you play baseball is the one sport where pretty much anyone can win in a given day. Looks like I'm going to pick another duck sweep this week ;-)
0 permalink
4/23/2012 6:52:42 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Riverduck wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:
Riverduck wrote:

well you win one series and you declare things are back to normal? The other teams you beat only count if you are a beaver.. If my memory serves me right you won 6 games in a row, and you lost like 15 rpi points..

1 Series? Really? What about Cal and Washington. Pretty sure we won those series too.

However,

Scratching my head on that one. We win a series over a top 10 team (depending on which poll) and we don't even get ranked (BA), don't move up (USA/ESPN). or barely get a spot higher (PG). I mean fer goodness sakes, we lost conference series to Arizona and ASU then beat UCLA!!!!!!

I think someone is confusing the two Oregon teams and are thinking the Beavs got whooped by a less than .500 WSU team last weekend.

What you think Opihi?
0 permalink
4/23/2012 8:26:03 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I too am perplexed...makes me wonder how many voters just look at the RPI when casting their votes, or do they actually watch the games, see the full boxscores.

I personally don't see the ducks being ranked as high as they are in some polls especially considering that they are 22 in the current RPI Boyd has.

I'm interested to see how a worthless midweek bout in Eugene turns out...
0 permalink
4/23/2012 9:01:40 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:
I'm interested to see how a worthless midweek bout in Eugene turns out...

Not entirely worthless. These are the games coaches like to say don't matter much because they're noncon affairs, but this is a pretty big game. We will get our first personal look at the Ducks before the games really do count. (This one and the next noncon Civil War game will "count" because this time of year every game counts, especially against ranked opponents--just not toward conference series.)

I'm guessing Taylor Starr gets the start. I wonder if the Ducks throw their freshman phenom with the no-hitter.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 10