Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 10

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/20/2012 11:07:52 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well, if the Ducks and the Bruins keep winning their series.. it could come down to the Ducks beating the Bruins.. that is pretty exciting if you ask me. Not saying that is going to happen, but the way both teams are playing right now, it could happen. The six wins for the beavs really did nothing for them if you ask me. Reality is now here, and they are fighting to stay in the top half. Stanford/Beavs game is going to be HUGE!! The Beavs could return the favor of last years loss to the ducks to cost them the title. If you were to say that the Ducks would be 27-10, and tied for first right now at this point of the season- I would even say that would be crazy. Just really love being the lone duck on this board.. I can handle it when they keep winning. Here is to a series win for Ucla and the Ducks.
0 permalink
4/20/2012 11:31:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
RD, Horton seems to have the Ducks riding high. So much of baseball is just confidence. Horton seems to get the most of his players, while Casey has been struggling this year. I wonder if he should of retired? Two out of the last three years he has played this sad story about how tired he is and alwasy threatens to retire. I wonder what impact this has on his team.
I know one of the Beaver's coaches very well from another University that I attended and worked. He said Casey is almost depressing to be around right now. He said that instead of guiding and coaching these young players, he is quick to chastise them and yank them out of games and their starting positions when they get into a slump. His constant
saying of "I don't make the lineup, the players do" actually puts more pressure on the players that are in slumps.

Where is the fat lady. I can hear her singing.

Riverduck wrote:
Well, if the Ducks and the Bruins keep winning their series.. it could come down to the Ducks beating the Bruins.. that is pretty exciting if you ask me. Not saying that is going to happen, but the way both teams are playing right now, it could happen. The six wins for the beavs really did nothing for them if you ask me. Reality is now here, and they are fighting to stay in the top half. Stanford/Beavs game is going to be HUGE!! The Beavs could return the favor of last years loss to the ducks to cost them the title. If you were to say that the Ducks would be 27-10, and tied for first right now at this point of the season- I would even say that would be crazy. Just really love being the lone duck on this board.. I can handle it when they keep winning. Here is to a series win for Ucla and the Ducks.

edited by BeaverBob on 4/21/2012
0 permalink
4/21/2012 12:50:18 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

After day one, our three-way tie for first is still a three-way tie.
  • UCLA 4, OSU 0. The conference’s top two hitters (UCLA’s Tyler Heineman and OSU’s Tyler Smith) went 0-3, and the other two offensive players to watch had a hit apiece--Michael Conforto a single (but no RBI) and Beau Amaral a solo homer. Adam Plutko outpitched Ben Wetzler, going 7.2 IP and giving up only two hits. OSU’s bullpen faced 7 batters over 2.1 innings and gave up no hits or runs. UCLA’s Cody Keefer was 2 for 3 with 2 RBIs.
    UCLA leads series 1-0.
  • Stanford 17, ASU 5. ASU led 3-2 after four innings, but the Cardinal scored 3 in the 5th then 4 in each of the last three innings in an explosion of hits and runs, 17 of each.
    Stanford leads series 1-0.
  • Arizona 10, Washington 2. Kurt Heyer tossed his third consecutive complete game and Arizona rapped out 11 base hits. A 6-run 7th inning gave Arizona a 10-0 lead. The Huskies scored their two runs, one earned, in the bottom of the 9th to avoid the shutout.
    Arizona leads series 1-0.
  • Oregon 6, Wazzu 2. Alex Keudell pitched 7 innings, allowing two runs on seven hits, and tying a season high with seven strikeouts. Kyle Garlick hit a solo home run in the bottom of the 4th. The Ducks barely outhit the Cougs, 9-8, the difference being 12 Cougs left on base versus only 4 for the Ducks.
    Oregon leads series 1-0.
  • Cal 9, Utah 2. Cal is officially out of the cellar and in a three-way tie with Stanford and UW for 7th place. Utah is in 11th and likely to remain there. Cal Senior CF Chad Bunting hit two home runs and finished with 5 RBIs. Cal’s Andrew Knapp and Utah’s Shaun Cooper also hit a homer each.
    Cal leads series 1-0.

edited by Dodger Matt on 4/21/2012
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/21/2012
0 permalink
4/21/2012 2:53:45 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
So DM,

Is this a precursor or a mistake?

After day one, our three-way tie for first is still a three-way tie.
  • UCLA 4, OSU 0. The conference’s top two hitters (UCLA’s Tyler Heineman and OSU’s Tyler Smith) went 0-3, and the other two offensive players to watch had a hit apiece--Michael Conforto a single (but no RBI) and Beau Amaral a solo homer. Adam Plutko outpitched Ben Wetzler, going 7.2 IP and giving up only two hits. OSU’s bullpen faced 7 batters over 2.1 innings and gave up no hits or runs. UCLA’s Cody Keefer was 2 for 3 with 2 RBIs.
    UCLA leads series 2-1.

Dam.
    Only one game played so far and we're behind 2-1? Well I think I'll just go home then.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 9:27:42 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
So DM,

Is this a precursor or a mistake?
UCLA leads series 2-1.
Dam.
Only one game played so far and we're behind 2-1? Well I think I'll just go home then.

Oops. Dat happens when you do a lot of copying and pasting. At least somebody is reading these things. ;-)
0 permalink
4/21/2012 10:18:59 AM

borgguy
borgguy
Dodger Matt wrote:
Pick analysis
  • A little difficult deciding which was the most lopsided this week, but I have to go with Cal over Utah 12/1 with 2 sweeps.
  • The close second is Oregon over Wazzu 11/2 with 4 sweeps.
  • Arizona over UW is third, 10/3 with 2 sweeps.
  • Still in the “decided favorite” category (but not overwhelmingly so), UCLA gets an 8/5 edge over OSU with 1 sweep.
  • And the closest series--by your votes—should be Stanford 7/6 over ASU, with both teams getting 1 sweep vote.
Borg, I cannot but feel somewhat responsible. If only I had kept my Pac-12 baseball interest to myself, Borg would still be paying taxes to support all those government employees sucking at the Beaver State's teat! Alas!

Seriously, though, sorry to hear that. Not a good time to be outa work. (Not that any time is good.) But it should get better as soon as the November election is over.

lol, (without geting TOO much into politics and my opinions of the current prez and the media appointed "front runner") unlike those who you are chastising i blame only myself, you didnt put a gun to my head and MAKE me come to PG every day

i appreciate the concern from everyone. and if any of you beaver fans happen to live in cornvalley and know anyone who is hiring, feel free to let me know!

also so far every team i predicted to win their series has one their first game, so good start for me!

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/21/2012 1:43:54 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
borgguy wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Pick analysis
  • A little difficult deciding which was the most lopsided this week, but I have to go with Cal over Utah 12/1 with 2 sweeps.
  • The close second is Oregon over Wazzu 11/2 with 4 sweeps.
  • Arizona over UW is third, 10/3 with 2 sweeps.
  • Still in the “decided favorite” category (but not overwhelmingly so), UCLA gets an 8/5 edge over OSU with 1 sweep.
  • And the closest series--by your votes—should be Stanford 7/6 over ASU, with both teams getting 1 sweep vote.
Borg, I cannot but feel somewhat responsible. If only I had kept my Pac-12 baseball interest to myself, Borg would still be paying taxes to support all those govern Going for the sweep in predictions. Now everyone is voting for my ace in the hole.. Well, I did vote against the Beavs, so maybe I will make up some ground there.
edited by Riverduck on 4/21/2012
0 permalink
4/21/2012 3:41:05 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Nicest day I've seen on the free Husky video stream.

http://www.gohuskies.com/allaccess/?media=299589
0 permalink
4/21/2012 5:02:19 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
tit-for-tat. Bruins pitched a shutout yesterday, Beavs pitch one today. Fry pitches a full 9 and has his best day out to date. Beavs still have a good chance to take the series. So is Child or Starr starting tomorrow? Or maybe Schultz? Anyone know?
0 permalink
4/21/2012 5:55:53 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
And they day is getting better and better. Looks like the duckies are going to drop one today.

RD, What happened in the 8th? (I'm at work and only glance at scores from time to time. Plus I hate that NeuLion format.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 6:23:40 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two
  • OSU 3, UCLA 0. Awesome complete game shutout by FR LHP Jace Fry, who limited the Bruins to 6 hits and struck out 6. In the offensive matchups, UCLA’s Tyler Heineman went 0-3 and Beau Amaral was 1 for 3. OSU’s Tyler Smith was 3 for 4, and Michael Conforto was 1 for 3, but again with no RBIs. Ryan Dunn was the offensive star of the day, going 3 for 3 with 2 RBIs, a walk a homer , and an OBP of 1.000.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Stanford 8, ASU 7. In a much closer game than yesterday’s 12-run shellacking of the Devils, ASU tied this game 2-2 and 3-3 before the Cardinal tacked on 4 runs in the 6th to take a 7-3 lead. ASU came back with 3 in the top of the 7th then tied it for a third time in the 9th, 7-7. .In the bottom of the 9th, the Cardinal got runners at the corners with two out, then Alex Blandino knocked his third hit of the day to score the winning run. Blandino was 3 for 5 with a homer and four RBIs. Stanford again had 17 hits.
    Stanford leads series 2-0.
  • Arizona 4, Washington 1. Washington led for the first four innings 1-0, then Arizona strung together single runs in the 5th and 6th, then two in the 7th to lead UW 4-1. Konner Wade went the distance for Arizona, the second complete game victory for the Cats in a row. Seth Mejias-Brean and Robert Refsnyder both went 2 for 4 for Arizona.
    Arizona leads series 2-0.
  • Wazzu 8, Oregon 3. Wazzu had a 2-0 lead after two innings, highlighted by Jason Monda’s solo two-out homer in the 2nd. But the Ducks took a 3-2 lead in the 3rd on a 2 RBI double by Kyle Garlick. Down by one, the Cougs struck for 6 runs in the top of the 8th, 4 of them on closer Jimmie Sherfy, to take the 8-3 victory and set up the rubber game tomorrow.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Cal 9, Utah 0. The Golden Bears broke open a 3-0 game with four runs in the bottom of the 6th en route to a 9-0 shutout of the inutile Utes. FR SS Chris Paul led the Bears at the plate, going 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs.
    Cal leads series 2-0.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 6:28:05 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
Plus I hate that NeuLion format.

I don't like to discourage innovation, which usually comes from trying something different, but the NeuLion and Sidearm apps are nowehere near as good as GameTracker today. I forget what the default app was four or five years ago, but it actually showed pitch placement over the plate with the batter on the correct side of the plate and whatnot. There is definitely room for improvement, but NeuLion and Sidearm are not it yet.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 6:40:28 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
And they day is getting better and better. Looks like the duckies are going to drop one today.

RD, What happened in the 8th? (I'm at work and only glance at scores from time to time. Plus I hate that NeuLion format.
We are not going to win any games if the other team scores more than 3 or 4. Wild thing is just that. He got put on the stopper watch list, and now he is tanking. LOL. Well, when you get behind, and hit batters, any good hitting team will t off on you. Sherfy has always made me nervous, even with his 9 saves. If I was JR, I would be a little upset. Second time thiss has happened
0 permalink
4/21/2012 7:07:43 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
My reverse psycology strategy worked today. Bash the Beavers, praise the Ducks.

What a beautiful day in Corvallis today. I should have put on sun screen today. Going to look like a lobster tomorrow.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Day two
  • OSU 3, UCLA 0. Awesome complete game shutout by FR LHP Jace Fry, who limited the Bruins to 6 hits and struck out 6. In the offensive matchups, UCLA’s Tyler Heineman went 0-3 and Beau Amaral was 1 for 3. OSU’s Tyler Smith was 3 for 4, and Michael Conforto was 1 for 3, but again with no RBIs. Ryan Dunn was the offensive star of the day, going 3 for 3 with 2 RBIs, a walk a homer , and an OBP of 1.000.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Stanford 8, ASU 7. In a much closer game than yesterday’s 12-run shellacking of the Devils, ASU tied this game 2-2 and 3-3 before the Cardinal tacked on 4 runs in the 6th to take a 7-3 lead. ASU came back with 3 in the top of the 7th then tied it for a third time in the 9th, 7-7. .In the bottom of the 9th, the Cardinal got runners at the corners with two out, then Alex Blandino knocked his third hit of the day to score the winning run. Blandino was 3 for 5 with a homer and four RBIs. Stanford again had 17 hits.
    Stanford leads series 2-0.
  • Arizona 4, Washington 1. Washington led for the first four innings 1-0, then Arizona strung together single runs in the 5th and 6th, then two in the 7th to lead UW 4-1. Konner Wade went the distance for Arizona, the second complete game victory for the Cats in a row. Seth Mejias-Brean and Robert Refsnyder both went 2 for 4 for Arizona.
    Arizona leads series 2-0.
  • Wazzu 8, Oregon 3. Wazzu had a 2-0 lead after two innings, highlighted by Jason Monda’s solo two-out homer in the 2nd. But the Ducks took a 3-2 lead in the 3rd on a 2 RBI double by Kyle Garlick. Down by one, the Cougs struck for 6 runs in the top of the 8th, 4 of them on closer Jimmie Sherfy, to take the 8-3 victory and set up the rubber game tomorrow.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Cal 9, Utah 0. The Golden Bears broke open a 3-0 game with four runs in the bottom of the 6th en route to a 9-0 shutout of the inutile Utes. FR SS Chris Paul led the Bears at the plate, going 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs.
    Cal leads series 2-0.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 7:22:19 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post, and I'm sure at least Riverduck will agree with me -- The Beavers will probably lose every game the rest of the year. The Ducks will win out, all the way to the World Series.

BeaverBob wrote:

What a beautiful day in Corvallis today. I should have put on sun screen today. Going to look like a lobster tomorrow.
0 permalink
4/21/2012 8:03:40 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
BeaverBob wrote:
Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post, and I'm sure at least Riverduck will agree with me -- The Beavers will probably lose every game the rest of the year. The Ducks will win out, all the way to the World Series.

BeaverBob wrote:

BB, you're funny.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 10:07:44 AM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
"Player of the Day" Beaver Jace Fry's dominant performance against UCLA, Wazzu's upset of Oregon, and Stanford's impressive wins over ASU highlight Kendall's Saturday review.

BTW, in the postgame interviews yesterday, the interviewers gave Fry multiple chances to admit how awesome he was, and he never took the bait, which I enjoyed. I expect humility from baseball players, especially young ones. Good to see. He did admit that yesterday was probably his best performance ever--based on the quality of his competition, an acknowledgment of UCLA's prowess.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 11:27:02 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
"Player of the Day" Beaver Jace Fry's dominant performance against UCLA, Wazzu's upset of Oregon, and Stanford's impressive wins over ASU highlight Kendall's Saturday review.

BTW, in the postgame interviews yesterday, the interviewers gave Fry multiple chances to admit how awesome he was, and he never took the bait, which I enjoyed. I expect humility from baseball players, especially young ones. Good to see. He did admit that yesterday was probably his best performance ever--based on the quality of his competition, an acknowledgment of UCLA's prowess.
Ha- it is always to easier to surprise, than be expected. Just ask the ducks closer.. I am so wishing we had Madison Boer in our bullpen right now. All hitters have to do vs Sherfy is wait till they have a full count. Wait for the slider that is big as a melon, and go the opposite way.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 1:10:26 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
RD or anyone in the Portland area, where do you listen to Duck baseball when 1360 is playing NASCAR? I can't even find that game on an out-of-area internet stream.
0 permalink
4/22/2012 1:18:48 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Ooh. Taylor Ard, three-run homer in the 1st. Wazzu 3-0. Don't know how long Jeff Gold will be on the mound for Oregon. Maybe I missed something: What happened to Tessar?
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 10