Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 6

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/25/2012 4:51:59 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Tough loss on a bad call today for the Beavs, though Oregon choking in the 9th and giving up 2 to lose to UTAH does soften the blow
0 permalink
3/25/2012 5:04:13 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Well winning the series is what matters.. Yeah Oregon blew the sweep. Poor coaching IMO.. Runner on third one out. Would have had a better chance with a squeeze. DP to end the game. Brutal. Thomas, Garlick, or Healy up in that situation, and we would have won/tied at least.
0 permalink
3/25/2012 9:12:09 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Listening to both Casey and Horton makes me think both Oregon teams played crappy this week. Casey is flat out intimidating. Hope both teams learn from their mistakes and get after it next week.
0 permalink
3/26/2012 2:45:34 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Beavs lose a series.. it is a ghost town in here. I would like to think that DM is waiting for UCLA and Stan to finish up.
0 permalink
3/26/2012 3:47:32 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Just waiting for DM. Been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to busy at work other than look at scores
0 permalink
3/26/2012 9:18:23 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sorry I didn’t provide day-by-day summaries. Here’s something a little different. Feedback is appreciated.
  • Arizona beats OSU 2-1. I picked this as a key series for both clubs at the beginning of the season, and I think the three games lived up to it. All three games were close and could have gone the other way easily. Oregon State’s bullpen was shaky, almost giving away the game on win and definitely losing game two. I have to give Arizona the credit I was reluctant to give at the beginning of the year. Their offense is very good, and pitching not bad either. They are clearly in the #2 spot in the conference. OSU is not that far behind, however, and with a bullpen different approach should have had the first two games. The Beavers’ offense is also impressive, because of what one typically expects from an OSU ballclub. Tyler Smith continues to amaze with his hitting, with an overall BA of .463 and a conference BA of .522 (12 for 23). Both are tops in the conference, and Smith also leads the Pac-12 in OBP (.538). Michael Conforto, who had a bit if a slump this weekend, still leads the conference with 29 RBIs. Arizona came into the series with a whopping 44 stolen bases, tops in the conference, compared to OSU’s 17, but the Beavers did not allow a single steal over the weekend, and grabbed 4 of 5 steal attempts themselves. Arizona only attempted one steal and was thrown out at second, but Robert Refsnyder, tied for first in the conference with 9 steals, was picked off at first by Matt Boyd TWICE in the same game. Arizona’s series next week at home against the Cardinal is the next big thing.
  • Arizona State beats Cal 2-1. Cal showed some heart, winning the second game and leading the third before ASU put a big 5-run hurt on them in the 5th. This is probably thee best 11th place Pac-12 team we’re likely to see this year. With a week off from conference play, Cal will be able to regroup against USC and UW the following two weeks, and they should begin a slow climb out of the conference cellar. ASU got an excellent 9-inning 1-run win from Brady Rodgers and another good performance (albeit on the losing end) by Trevor Williams who pitched all but the last out of the second game. That said, ASU is in a surprising spot right now at 3-3, tied with Utah and Oregon. Next up for the Devils is Oregon in Eugene then OSU in Tempe. The battle of 3-3 teams next week should be a good one.
  • UCLA beats Wazzu 2-1. Washington State is the most inconsistent team in the conference and scary because you never now which team will show up. After getting blown out in the first two games by equal scores of 12-3, the Cougs blasted UCLA starter Grant Watson with 9 earned run in the first 1.2 innings on Sunday and cruised to a 10-4 victory. They also shut out Arizona in their first game last week 6-0, and they have beaten CS Fullerton and Mississippi State, and lost to Northern Colorado and UNLV. UCLA has bounced back from a weak season start, and they look solidly in the top tier of the conference teams right now, with Stanford, Arizona, and Oregon State. I expect them to move up next week after playing Utah, especially since the other four teams at the top of the standings will be facing off against each other.
  • Stanford beats USC 2-1. USC lost two close games with their top two pitchers to both Utah and to Stanford, then came back to take both third games. I still think this Trojan team, like the Golden Bears, is far better than their 2-4 record indicates. Next week they travel to Pullman to take on Washington Schizophrenic University, then they host Cal in what could be a make or break series for both clubs. Stanford meanwhile looked good statwise against USC even in game three...except for those 6 errors! Next week they travel to Tucson to participate in a battle between two of the top teams in the conference. The Cardinal should have the edge, even as a road team, and should emerge from this series as the top team in the conference, to match their national credentials. Even if they don’t win the series, their next two opponents (UW and Oregon) will provide an easier path to improving their conference record.
  • Oregon beats Utah 2-1. Utah continues to amaze by upending conventional wisdom and playing like crap against OOC patsies then playing tough against solid middle tier Pac-12 teams. There’s no way they should have beaten USC’s ace and deuce last week, and there’s no way they should have been that close against Oregon in the first two games this week. Then they stole the third one in the 9th with a 2-run homer. I’m guessing UCLA will have difficulty handing the Utes their first conference sweep this weekend in the Beehive State. As for Oregon, it doesn’t get any easier with ASU coming to town next week. If they had difficulty scoring three runs against Utah’s ace, imagine how they’ll do against Brady Rodgers. And ASU’s potent offense will not wait until the 9th of game three to deliver punishing long balls. Then the Ducks travel to UCLA and Stanford. Can you say goodbye .500 record?
  • Washington sweeps Cal State Bakersfield 3-0. The first two games were close (4-2, 7-3) but that last one (13-1) looked brutal. poor Roadrunners. And this was supposed to be the conference’s worst team in the preseason prognostications. Yet here the Huskies sit at 5th with a 2-1 conference record, 15-7 overall. That standing is in jeopardy as they head to Corvallis this weekend then host Stanford. But don’t count the Huskies out, especially against a Pacific Northwest rival. OSU has a number of Evergreen State kids on the roster, and situations like that foster competition and enmity. This Husky team has already outperformed most pundits’ expectations this year.
0 permalink
3/26/2012 9:24:43 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 6 scores

First-timer Rowdy (with no declared Pac-12 team affiliation) tops the list this week, getting all six series correct.
  • 26.0 Rowdy
  • 24.0 ASU74
  • 23.0 borgguy
  • 23.0 WildCard85
  • 22.0 MostUnknown
  • 22.0 TempeJim
  • 21.0 BeaverBeliever20
  • 21.0 ConnorOSU
  • 21.0 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 20.0 Dodger Matt
  • 19.0 BeaverBob
  • 19.0 CaughtBySparky
  • 18.0 Florida Beaver
  • 18.0 OpihiMan
  • 17.0 RiverDuck
0 permalink
3/26/2012 11:51:12 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Aw hell.. maybe shooting for last place may be harder than finishing in the middle. So guess that might be my aim. lol
Yeah DM, day by day seems to be a little too much work. You should create your own pac 12 blog, and see how much traffic you could get. I think the Utes might be better than we all think, but only time will tell. Same with the Huskies..
0 permalink
3/27/2012 6:54:08 AM

ASU74
ASU74
Dodger Matt wrote:
Week 6 scores

First-timer Rowdy (with no declared Pac-12 team affiliation) tops the list this week, getting all six series correct.
  • 26.0 Rowdy
  • 24.0 ASU74
  • 23.0 borgguy
  • 23.0 WildCard85
  • 22.0 MostUnknown
  • 22.0 TempeJim
  • 21.0 BeaverBeliever20
  • 21.0 ConnorOSU
  • 21.0 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 20.0 Dodger Matt
  • 19.0 BeaverBob
  • 19.0 CaughtBySparky
  • 18.0 Florida Beaver
  • 18.0 OpihiMan
  • 17.0 RiverDuck

DM: Great synopsis. Many thanks for your time & thoughts.
Rowdy: Perfect Weekend!! Cograds. What a dubut.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 6