Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Red Shirt Rule

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/26/2011 7:13:02 PM

lamar
lamar
Could someone advise me of the rule regarding redshirting a D1 pitcher..
0 permalink
2/26/2011 9:22:27 PM

PalmettoBBFan
PalmettoBBFan
This is going to sound strange, but there really is not a redshirt rule per se. Players have 5 years to play 4. If they don't play one year they are deemed to have "redshirted." (That's an oversimplified explanation, but essentially correct.)

What exactly is it you want to know?
edited by PalmettoBBFan on 2/26/2011
0 permalink
2/28/2011 6:40:40 AM

trripleplay
trripleplay
1. The players who did not make the 35-man roster and were cut from the team cannot practice with the team and are not allowed to sit on the bench. They basically are no longer a part of the team under the NCAA rules - at least for this year.

2. The term "redshirt" simply means that a player did not use a year of his eligibility. So the players who were cut can use this as a "redshirt" year.

3. Even a general student who was not a part of the team at all this year, but would try out and make the team next year, could call this year their "redshirt" year because they didn't use any eligibility.

www.informedathlete.com

(I'm not in any way affiliated with informedathlete.com, but I highly recommend them as compliance and recruiting consultants)
edited by trripleplay on 2/28/2011
edited by trripleplay on 2/28/2011

--
http://www.simmonsfield.com
0 permalink
2/28/2011 7:27:15 AM

PalmettoBBFan
PalmettoBBFan
A TRUE redshirt (a player listed on the final squad list) can practice with team. Teams may announce that a certain player is redshirting, but they do not have to. There is no action by the team that turns someone into a redshirt. NOthing that they file or anything like that. It's the mere fact that he was on the squad list and did not play at all.

Personally, I don't think redshirt is the appropriate term for someone who was cut. But it is frequently used for that purpose.
0 permalink
2/28/2011 11:17:09 AM

trripleplay
trripleplay
If a player is on the final roster and does not play, he burns a year of eligibility. An example where this happens is with the newer transfer rules. The player takes up a "counter" and burns a year of eligibility.

--
http://www.simmonsfield.com
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Red Shirt Rule