Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PREVIEW: Looking at the Atlanta Regional

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/2/2011 12:58:00 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Posts: 7536
Here's our inside look at the Atlanta Regional, which includes Georgia Tech, Southern Miss, Mississippi State and Austin Peay.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=5777

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
6/2/2011 8:52:47 AM


Guest
Kendall, I hope you are wrong about Tech having an easy go of it this weekend. It definitely would've helped if we hadn't lost Thomas and Thompson, or if Koelling and Doleac wouldn't have gotten hurt. But I do have a few thoughts:
I think Parks is a good hitter for MSU, but I would take Koelling as the better hitter. Koelling was selected over Parks for the Boo Ferriss Award, which goes to the top collegiate player in the State of Mississippi. Parks does have a the higher Batting Avg. .383 to .367 but what I think makes Koelling a better hitter is that he has only struck out 9 times this season in 229 At Bats. Whereas Parks has struck out 40 times in 188 At Bats.
The question marks for Southern Miss this weekend are will Koelling and Doleac be able to play and will the other pitchers on the staff step up.
I think Koelling will play, but I could only see Doleac DHing or possibly pinch hitting. We may see B.A. Vollmuth at 1st some this weekend.
Also, you (for good reason) continue to talk about Southern Miss pitching staff, but truthfully they held up fine in the C-USA tourney. It was our lack of hitting that let us down. The pitching staff had an ERA of about 3.09 during the C-USA tourney. Thomason and Scarbourough filled in okay in the starting roles, and Horn, Cargill, Day and King held their own out of the pen. Of course, whether we would be able to do anything past 3 games would be a HUGE question mark. The first game of the weekend will be big for both Southern Miss and MSU, but I think either team could get hot and take this regional.
0 permalink
6/2/2011 11:09:24 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Posts: 103
Im still gonig to wait and see with our young team this year buts there is abosolutely not a single excuse this year to blow the doors down and sweep this thing.

You will be facing MUCH better hitters at GT than you were in the conf USA tourney (for the most part). Plus our starters are VERY good. Pope, Bradley, and Farmer are a pretty nasty 1-2-3 punch.
0 permalink
6/2/2011 11:30:05 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
GTbaseball wrote:
Im still gonig to wait and see with our young team this year buts there is abosolutely not a single excuse this year to blow the doors down and sweep this thing.

You will be facing MUCH better hitters at GT than you were in the conf USA tourney (for the most part). Plus our starters are VERY good. Pope, Bradley, and Farmer are a pretty nasty 1-2-3 punch.



I'd be surprised if ya'll swept through the weekend but I think GaTech wins the regional. Although, I hope I'm wrong.
0 permalink
6/2/2011 12:59:12 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Posts: 61
GT....you act like C-USA is an average conference at best. It doesn't look like your offense is so great when on paper. And I heard this same build up about Deck last time we were in Atlanta...did he even last 3 innings? We destroyed him!
0 permalink
6/2/2011 4:37:38 PM

MoreCowbell23
MoreCowbell23
Posts: 19
I'll give some insight into State since I don't see much talk on here. Parks is a great hitter for average, but right now Vickerson and Shepherd are on fire. We field the ball extremely well in 8 of our 9 positions. Ogden can be erratic at short, but most of the time it's because he is trying to rush a throw or make an unbelievable play. He can still be flashy with a glove.

The only way we win the Regional is if we win Friday and Saturday. I like our matchup with Pollerena against USM, and if we win that one, Mitchell, who did awesome against UF and recently struck out 11 in relief, would go against GT. After that, I'm definitely biting my nails. Reed has been awesome as a closer, but the rest of our bullpen is fairly inconsistent.

MSU was a team that was SO close to winning 16-17 SEC games instead of 14. We had Florida on the ropes twice and beat them one other time. Even though we didn't play well in Hoover, we can do well in this Regional with some consistency on the mound.
0 permalink
6/3/2011 5:59:40 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Posts: 103
eagleboy415 wrote:
GT....you act like C-USA is an average conference at best. It doesn't look like your offense is so great when on paper. And I heard this same build up about Deck last time we were in Atlanta...did he even last 3 innings? We destroyed him!



On 2 days rest.. after he pitched 100+ on friday night. Whaaaaa? Congrats?

And yes, Conf USA is an average conference at best. You have Southern Miss and Rice.. toss in average East Carolina team and one year wonder UCF and boom. Yes, you are an average league.
edited by GTbaseball on 6/3/2011
+1 permalink
6/3/2011 10:18:42 AM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
Posts: 61
No! You didn't pitch Deck against Georgia Southern. You pitched Deck against USM the Saturday game. Get your facts straight. He got rocked, came back Monday on two days rest(even though he didn't go far on Saturday) and got rocked again. Vollmuth had two home runs in the same inning against him. So get your facts straight.
0 permalink
6/3/2011 11:27:44 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Posts: 50
GTbaseball wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:
GT....you act like C-USA is an average conference at best. It doesn't look like your offense is so great when on paper. And I heard this same build up about Deck last time we were in Atlanta...did he even last 3 innings? We destroyed him!



On 2 days rest.. after he pitched 100+ on friday night. Whaaaaa? Congrats?

And yes, Conf USA is an average conference at best. You have Southern Miss and Rice.. toss in average East Carolina team and one year wonder UCF and boom. Yes, you are an average league.
edited by GTbaseball on 6/3/2011



You are definitely entitled to your opinion but C-USA is not an average baseball conference.
0 permalink
6/3/2011 12:21:49 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Posts: 103
eagleboy415 wrote:
No! You didn't pitch Deck against Georgia Southern. You pitched Deck against USM the Saturday game. Get your facts straight. He got rocked, came back Monday on two days rest(even though he didn't go far on Saturday) and got rocked again. Vollmuth had two home runs in the same inning against him. So get your facts straight.


We didnt play Ga Southern! And we pitched Deck vs. Ga State in the Friday game!! Get your facts straight. I was sitting at every single one of those games.

Oh yea, he's the article.
http://beesball.com/box2009/box060109.html

"Tech All-American Deck McGuire (11-2), who went seven innings in a Friday win over Georgia State, could not hold the early Tech lead, giving up nine runs in the second on six hits."

Anyways, cant wait to smash that arse with the youngest team in the country.
0 permalink
6/3/2011 12:24:05 PM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Posts: 103
It's The Talons wrote:
GTbaseball wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:
GT....you act like C-USA is an average conference at best. It doesn't look like your offense is so great when on paper. And I heard this same build up about Deck last time we were in Atlanta...did he even last 3 innings? We destroyed him!



On 2 days rest.. after he pitched 100+ on friday night. Whaaaaa? Congrats?

And yes, Conf USA is an average conference at best. You have Southern Miss and Rice.. toss in average East Carolina team and one year wonder UCF and boom. Yes, you are an average league.
edited by GTbaseball on 6/3/2011



You are definitely entitled to your opinion but C-USA is not an average baseball conference.


Then what are your thoughts on the conference since its maybe "above average".
0 permalink
6/3/2011 4:37:38 PM

MoreCowbell23
MoreCowbell23
Posts: 19
MSU wins 3-0 over Southern Miss. Great pitching by McInnis, but Pollorena and Reed were just a little better for MSU. Hopefully Evan Mitchell will give us another strong performance tomorrow.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » PREVIEW: Looking at the Atlanta Regional





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software