Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Question to Kendall

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/17/2011 7:59:41 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Kendall,

You said yesterday in the chat that LSU still has little chance to make a regional. I agree that if LSU doesn't win this weekend series that they should be home for the postseason. While I am an LSU fan I don't consider myself a total homer, but I don't understand why in your opinion they have virtually no shot at regional, while compared to Arkansas, a team competing for a host spot.

I chose Arkansas b/c they are an SEC west team whom compares similarly to LSU and is in the mix for a host spot. In your chat you said LSU(33-19) has a horrid conference record at 11-16, this is true but they are still only 2 games back of four 1st place teams at 13-14 including Arkansas(33-17). LSU's SOS (26)and RPI (22) are both somewhat close to Arkansas's SOS(15) RPI (12). Figures are from Warren Nolan.com.

While LSU has played extremely poor ball midway through the season they are 8-2 in the last 10 games, and should they win this weekend I believe will earn a regional berth. This is no bash on Arkansas or any other team, I am just curious as to what else you think goes into the selection process and why LSU is considered to be a long shot.

Thanks for the response and all the great coverage you provide for college baseball.
0 permalink
5/17/2011 8:12:55 PM

FLFinest
FLFinest
Does Jacksonvilles win over #4 Florida help in a little or huge way with their possibilities of earning an at large berth?
0 permalink
5/17/2011 9:20:13 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Hedegoba88 wrote:
Kendall,

You said yesterday in the chat that LSU still has little chance to make a regional. I agree that if LSU doesn't win this weekend series that they should be home for the postseason. While I am an LSU fan I don't consider myself a total homer, but I don't understand why in your opinion they have virtually no shot at regional, while compared to Arkansas, a team competing for a host spot.

I chose Arkansas b/c they are an SEC west team whom compares similarly to LSU and is in the mix for a host spot. In your chat you said LSU(33-19) has a horrid conference record at 11-16, this is true but they are still only 2 games back of four 1st place teams at 13-14 including Arkansas(33-17). LSU's SOS (26)and RPI (22) are both somewhat close to Arkansas's SOS(15) RPI (12). Figures are from Warren Nolan.com.

While LSU has played extremely poor ball midway through the season they are 8-2 in the last 10 games, and should they win this weekend I believe will earn a regional berth. This is no bash on Arkansas or any other team, I am just curious as to what else you think goes into the selection process and why LSU is considered to be a long shot.

Thanks for the response and all the great coverage you provide for college baseball.

Good questions. Someone asked me on Twitter if I thought LSU was in if it won the weekend series at Mississippi State this weekend. I said, yes, I thought LSU would squeak in. Basically, the Tigers' postseason chances are in their own hands. Lose this weekend and I'm almost positive you're done. Win this weekend and you've put yourself in position to have a chance at it. That's what it boils down to.

You wanted to compare Arkansas and LSU?

Arkansas: 9-6 vs. RPI Top 25, 13-12 vs. RPI Top 50, 20-12 vs. RPI Top 100
LSU: 4-9 vs. RPI Top 25, 9-16 vs. RPI Top 50, 15-17 vs. RPI Top 100

That's not even in the same wavelength, IMO.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
5/17/2011 9:20:52 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
dolphin4life wrote:
Does Jacksonvilles win over #4 Florida help in a little or huge way with their possibilities of earning an at large berth?

Definitely helps, though I had JU in there this week before the Florida game to start with. Really helps solidify things.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Question to Kendall