Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » New to the board

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
2/23/2011 6:50:43 PM

Nuke LaLoosh
Nuke LaLoosh
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been lurking for a few years over at Rivals, but just decided to jump on board over here. I'm a huge college baseball fan, and more specifically a huge "Mid-Major" fan, with very close family and friend ties to the D1 community and usually watch 60 plus games a year in person, either at the beach or here in Virginia.

I'm very closely tied to the Coastal Carolina program, and can hopefully add some insight that isn't reported or otherwise available.

So far this board appears to have fewer "little kids" posting in it, so hopefully I'm not disappointed. Look forward to some quality discussions on college baseball.

GO CHANTS!
0 permalink
2/23/2011 7:54:46 PM

Spur-n-Omaha
Spur-n-Omaha
I too was a rivals lurker but decided to join the conversation over here. I am a student at USC and rarely do I miss games. What a great series we had last year with you guys. I still believe that Coastal was one of the better teams we faced last year. Quick question. Besides Meo, how does coastal's pitching staff compare to last years. Good luck this upcoming year and maybe we can meet again.
edited by Spur-n-Omaha on 2/23/2011
0 permalink
2/23/2011 10:10:08 PM

HuskerFan31
HuskerFan31
Nuke LaLoosh wrote:
GO CHANTS!

Good luck to you guys this season, I'm a big fan of the way Coastal plays.
0 permalink
2/24/2011 7:20:21 AM

tcu_lusch
tcu_lusch
Welcome to the board!
0 permalink
2/24/2011 12:46:42 PM

Nuke LaLoosh
Nuke LaLoosh
Thanks guys.

Omaha, I thought that the Super Regionals were amazing, I've seen a lot of college baseball and that atmosphere was amazing. I talked to a lot of USC and Coastal fans, and we were all in agreement that it is a series that should be played every year. Hopefully if both schools can get some new blood in the adminstrations, some new blood that do not have sticks stuck firmly up their rectums, we can get a 3 game or at least a home-and home.

Our pitching staff this year, from a pure stuff standpoint, should be better in my opinion. Our three weekend guys have better overall stuff than our guys did last year. Losing Wheeler means losing a lot of wins and a lot of experience, but anyone who has watched him the last several years knows that his velocity was way down and his control were off last year. Fortunately for us, he's a gamer and he battled the whole year to give us some quality wins.

This year, from what I'm hearing the coaching staff is very high on Tyler Herb. Coach Thomas believes he has better stuff than Meo had as a freshman. I think as the year goes on you will see Stefan del Pino move into the Sunday roll, while Jim Birmingham moves to the midweek slot. I think this is a good move, but you never know with freshmen.

Our bullpen is the strongest that I have ever seen it with more quality arms, and more specifically more quality lefties than I have ever seen us have. Losing Austin Fleet will hurt, but I firmly believe that this is one of the best bullpens in the country. Although, they did look a little shaky in my opinion last weekend (too many control issues).

The big key to our pitching staff this year though is going to be our catchers. Again, we have more quality arms and better stuff than we have ever had, but our coaching staff believes in empowering our catchers to run the staff and the game. With Tucker going down for at least four weeks, it will be interesting to see how John Fidanza handles this staff. Being a successful catcher depends a lot on talent, but also how confident the pitchers are throwing to you, and how big your marbles are when you have to go "straighten" that guy out on the mound. Also, Tucker has one of the best arms I've seen behind the dish in a long long time, and that can go a long way to relaxing your pitchers when they have a guy on first.

We will see what happens when Gilly sends the kid out to give a Junior All American a talking to. So basically, talent wise, we're better. We'll see how maturity factors into the equation over the next couple of weeks.
0 permalink
2/24/2011 6:20:57 PM

Spur-n-Omaha
Spur-n-Omaha
Appreciate the rundown Nuke. I knew that yall lost Wheeler so I was curious to who you had going this year. It definately sounds like yall are set up to have another great year. I agree 100% with trying to get a series going between us again. Its time for the two admins to get it together and put the past behind them. The state of baseball in the state of South Carolina is very good right now and I expect it to remain that way for years to come.
0 permalink
2/24/2011 9:31:49 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Spur-n-Omaha wrote:
Appreciate the rundown Nuke. I knew that yall lost Wheeler so I was curious to who you had going this year. It definately sounds like yall are set up to have another great year. I agree 100% with trying to get a series going between us again. Its time for the two admins to get it together and put the past behind them. The state of baseball in the state of South Carolina is very good right now and I expect it to remain that way for years to come.

Welcome to the board, all. We're very glad to have you, and please spread the word.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » New to the board