Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall time to eat crow!

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/30/2011 7:21:39 PM

Eagles1270
Eagles1270
USM dominating ECU so far this weekend. you had the Eagles losing the series time to face the music. ha but no do you think this helps the Eagles chances with a national seed with Texas A&M falling apart this weekend?
0 permalink
4/30/2011 8:42:12 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
No, because Oregon State has dominated UCLA. Whatever national seed aTm was going to get is now OSU's. If SMiss is going to get one, y'all will have to beat someone else. I recommend Flardy State.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 1:44:09 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Dodger Matt wrote:
No, because Oregon State has dominated UCLA. Whatever national seed aTm was going to get is now OSU's. If SMiss is going to get one, y'all will have to beat someone else. I recommend Flardy State.

Currently, there are many similarities in record, RPI and SOS between OSU and Southern Miss. Down the stretch Southern Miss has a tougher schedule, as opposed to OSU, that could help them out tremendously.

Here are the remaining schedules for boths teams with RPI in quotations courtesy of warrennolan.com. Southern Miss has series against UAB (54), Houston (59), Rice (23) and a midweek game against South Alabama (102). OSU's has series against Cal (38), Washington (217), USC (125), Oregon (105), and a midweek game against Portland (222).

If we can get to 40 wins with that remaining schedule I believe we deserve a national seed. I am not saying OSU doesn't deserve one but I would think we would definitely have priority over some teams. However, OSU does have more remaining games on their schedule which could definitely leave ya'll with a better overall record.

Kendall, what are your thoughts on Southern Miss' remaining schedule and our chances for a national seed?
0 permalink
5/1/2011 4:29:43 AM

Kenny Powers
Kenny Powers
People still use the term 'eat crow' ? What a stupid thing to say much less dated

I still didn't get the national love fest for A&M, all the projections had them as a Top 8, they were 9-9 in the month of April, that's top 8 material?

Southern Miss is not a top 8 today and won't be at the end of the season, just be happy to gain a host site.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 4:35:24 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Kenny Powers wrote:
People still use the term 'eat crow' ? What a stupid thing to say much less dated

I still didn't get the national love fest for A&M, all the projections had them as a Top 8, they were 9-9 in the month of April, that's top 8 material?

Southern Miss is not a top 8 today and won't be at the end of the season, just be happy to gain a host site.

Why do you think Southern Miss will not be awarded a National Seed?
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:00:43 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
How about because they're behind in the 'pecking order' of teams such as Florida State, Texas, Ga Tech among others.

And here's why: RPI: FSU #7, Texas #10, Southern Miss #13. SOS: FSU #13, Texas #48, Southern Miss #61. When you have same record, numbers like that will be deciding factors. And FWIW, Ga Tech's #'s are as follows, RPI: 8, SOS: 10. All with similar records. Southern Miss will more than likely host (barring late season collapse of sorts).
edited by NolesFanJosh on 5/1/2011
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:16:14 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:
How about because they're behind in the 'pecking order' of teams such as Florida State, Texas, Ga Tech among others.

If you look at the remaining schedule of Ga Tech, Southern Miss has a tougher schedule and has the opportunity to finish with a higher RPI and SOS. It may be hard to bridge the gap in SOS of schedule terms but GTech has series left with Illinois-Chicago (213), VTech (93), UNC (6), and midweek games with Savannah State (282) and E Tenn State (39).

In comparison to Texas, we are both close in the RPI and SOS and it will come down to how both teams finish the season.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2011/schedule/Georgia-Tech
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2011/schedule/Texas
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:18:20 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:

And here's why: RPI: FSU #7, Texas #10, Southern Miss #13. SOS: FSU #13, Texas #48, Southern Miss #61. When you have same record, numbers like that will be deciding factors. And FWIW, Ga Tech's #'s are as follows, RPI: 8, SOS: 10. All with similar records. Southern Miss will more than likely host (barring late season collapse of sorts).
edited by NolesFanJosh on 5/1/2011

We will definitely host but I think we have a decent shot of gaining a national seed as opposed to a few teams that are currently ahead of us, I base this on remaining schedules. However, we need to win 40+ in the regular season to even dream about being a national seed.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:23:41 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
That series vs. Rice is pivotal to Southern Miss getting a National Seed, that and winning the Conf Tournament as well.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:26:35 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:
That series vs. Rice is pivotal to Southern Miss getting a National Seed, that and winning the Conf Tournament as well.

I definitely agree and thanks for the input. I'm hopeful we can take care of Rice and am extremely impressed how we've played against ECU this weekend.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:28:30 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
It's The Talons wrote:
Kenny Powers wrote:

Let's compare the "similarities" for just RPI between Southern Miss and Oregon State to date (in conference)

UCF 26 (SoMiss swept)
Memphis 92 (SoMiss lost series)
Marshal 215 (SoMiss swept)
Tulane 53 (SoMiss won 2-1)
East Carolina 25 (SoMiss leading 2-0)

ASU 3 (OSU swept)
Ariz 37 (OSU won 2-1)
Stan 17 (OSU swept)
WSU 33 (OSU won 2-1)
UCLA 49 (OSU leading 2-0)

I would say that a 11-3 conference record like SoMiss with the RPI of opponents has no similarities to OSU's 12-2 conference record with all 5 opponents under 50 RPI. Maybe SoMiss has a tougher road left (according to RPI's) but I would say Oregon State's conference is (with exception of 1 evergreen state teams and Oregon) is much tougher overall.

Unless SoMiss sweeps all their remaining opponents (unlikely) and Florida, FSU, Texas, ASU, CFS and Ga Tech all choke all of their remaining games (extremely unlikely) then no, SoMiss will not get a national seed.

Or at least that's my honest opinion
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:33:33 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
Florida Beaver wrote:
It's The Talons wrote:
Kenny Powers wrote:

Let's compare the "similarities" for just RPI between Southern Miss and Oregon State to date (in conference)

UCF 26 (SoMiss swept)
Memphis 92 (SoMiss lost series)
Marshal 215 (SoMiss swept)
Tulane 53 (SoMiss won 2-1)
East Carolina 25 (SoMiss leading 2-0)

ASU 3 (OSU swept)
Ariz 37 (OSU won 2-1)
Stan 17 (OSU swept)
WSU 33 (OSU won 2-1)
UCLA 49 (OSU leading 2-0)

I would say that a 11-3 conference record like SoMiss with the RPI of opponents has no similarities to OSU's 12-2 conference record with all 5 opponents under 50 RPI. Maybe SoMiss has a tougher road left (according to RPI's) but I would say Oregon State's conference is (with exception of 1 evergreen state teams and Oregon) is much tougher overall.

Unless SoMiss sweeps all their remaining opponents (unlikely) and Florida, FSU, Texas, ASU, CFS and Ga Tech all choke all of their remaining games (extremely unlikely) then no, SoMiss will not get a national seed.

Or at least that's my honest opinion

I posted above the remaining schedules for both OSU and Southern Miss and our schedule is tougher and could benefit us, assuming we win, down the stretch. I'd also venture to say that there is not much difference between the PAC-10 and C-USA.
edited by It's The Talons on 5/1/2011
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:35:38 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I really don't think there's any question that Oregon State has done WAY more than enough to garner a National Seed. Downright impressive from Beavers.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:39:56 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
And Georgia Tech's overall SOS is NOT gonna drop below the 20's, certainly not gonna be enough ground to pick up on Ga Tech there, and there is at least a chance to vault past Texas, although with the series win (and potentially a Sweep over A&M) makes it more difficult now that Texas is leader of Big XII.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:44:15 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:
And Georgia Tech's overall SOS is NOT gonna drop below the 20's, certainly not gonna be enough ground to pick up on Ga Tech there, and there is at least a chance to vault past Texas, although with the series win (and potentially a Sweep over A&M) makes it more difficult now that Texas is leader of Big XII.

It may not but it will take a hit, as will their RPI.

Texas has a tough road with Nebraska and A&M but they have a few games that will cause their RPI to take a hit, how much I don't know because I'm not sure how all of the formulas work.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:52:54 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I think there are 5 LOCKS for National Seeds, with Arizona State being extremely close to locking one up. (Pending NCAA as well but I doubt they'll rule before CWS starts)
0 permalink
5/1/2011 5:55:17 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:
I think there are 5 LOCKS for National Seeds, with Arizona State being extremely close to locking one up. (Pending NCAA as well but I doubt they'll rule before CWS starts)

Florida, Virginia, Vandy and South Carolina? Who would be your 5th, UNC?
edited by It's The Talons on 5/1/2011
0 permalink
5/1/2011 6:00:18 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I put Oregon State as lock, Arizona State is close...and FSU is in catbird seat (esp if they can finish off Miami with a sweep) for a Seed, so long as they don't get swept by Clemson or NC State prior to ACC Tournament. The 7th and 8th will come down to FSU, Tex, A&M, Ga Tech, UNC, Southern Miss, Fullerton.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 6:02:33 AM

It's The Talons
It's The Talons
NolesFanJosh wrote:
I put Oregon State as lock, Arizona State is close...and FSU is in catbird seat (esp if they can finish off Miami with a sweep) for a Seed, so long as they don't get swept by Clemson or NC State prior to ACC Tournament. The 7th and 8th will come down to FSU, Tex, A&M, Ga Tech, UNC, Southern Miss, Fullerton.

Heck, should be an exciting finish to the season. I'm just hoping we host a regional, which I think we will barring a collapse, because it's been a while since we have.
0 permalink
5/1/2011 6:03:57 AM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I think the only way Southern doesn't host, is, they drop series to Rice and have quick exit in Conf USA Tournament.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kendall time to eat crow!