Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Polls?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/25/2011 12:50:34 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Okay. Homerism time. USA/ESPN stupidity poll. Oregon State won their 4th straight consecutive conference series and sit at 10-2 in conference, 1/2 game ahead of ASU. And DROP a spot from #8 to 9!!!!!! ASU, who was swept by the Beavs, beat a suddenly anemic 24-12 Cal , who has also lost 2 straight series, jumped from 9 to 7. FSU, 14-7 in conference, sweeps a home series over 20-23 conference powerhouse Duke, and jumps 3 spots to #8?

While Baseball America has Oregon State ranked at #3 (a bit high in my estimation), Collegiate Baseball has OSU ranked at #6 (about right) and PG has the Beavers coming up from 10 to 9, behind a #7 CSF (which lost their weekend series to a red hot 18-17 Cal Poly) and one behind a surprising 2 loss week Fresno who lost to who else but , Cal Poly and Sac State.

I can't wait to see what NCBWA does. Probably drop them from their current ranked 15 to 18 for winnning yet another conference series. HOW DARE Oregon State lead in total wins in their conference at 29-8 and sit atop their conference. Shame on them and Pat Casey for playing at a higher standard than ANY non-Beaver fan believed they could or would. They should be penalized at least 5 more spots for that.

How far does this assinine "poll" ranking go? Or will $$$$ once again be a determining factor for about half of the national seeds?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.Cursing
0 permalink
4/25/2011 1:07:33 PM

jkag89
jkag89
The last time I checked all the polls mean absolutely NOTHING. They don't determine a dang thing. Get slighted in a season end poll, OK. During the season who cares.
0 permalink
4/25/2011 1:20:28 PM

The USA/ESPN poll is a joke. They also moved Vandy up to number 2 past SC after Vandy swept an LSU team at home who is playing horrible baseball and a dismal 4-12 in the SEC, while SC went on the road and took a series from a tough Miss st team, keeping in mind that Vandy also dropped a game to Miss st and that was at Vandy. Oh and of course that just two weekends ago SC just took 2 out of 3 from Vandy. Notice they are the only poll that did this. I wouldnt take any stock in that poll.
+1 permalink
4/25/2011 7:58:53 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Florida Beaver wrote:
Okay. Homerism time. USA/ESPN stupidity poll. Oregon State won their 4th straight consecutive conference series and sit at 10-2 in conference, 1/2 game ahead of ASU. And DROP a spot from #8 to 9!!!!!! ASU, who was swept by the Beavs, beat a suddenly anemic 24-12 Cal , who has also lost 2 straight series, jumped from 9 to 7. FSU, 14-7 in conference, sweeps a home series over 20-23 conference powerhouse Duke, and jumps 3 spots to #8?

While Baseball America has Oregon State ranked at #3 (a bit high in my estimation), Collegiate Baseball has OSU ranked at #6 (about right) and PG has the Beavers coming up from 10 to 9, behind a #7 CSF (which lost their weekend series to a red hot 18-17 Cal Poly) and one behind a surprising 2 loss week Fresno who lost to who else but , Cal Poly and Sac State.

I can't wait to see what NCBWA does. Probably drop them from their current ranked 15 to 18 for winnning yet another conference series. HOW DARE Oregon State lead in total wins in their conference at 29-8 and sit atop their conference. Shame on them and Pat Casey for playing at a higher standard than ANY non-Beaver fan believed they could or would. They should be penalized at least 5 more spots for that.

How far does this assinine "poll" ranking go? Or will $$$$ once again be a determining factor for about half of the national seeds?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.Cursing

FB, how do you really feel? I'm concerned about you. Too much time in the sunshine and hanging around all of those old folks in Floreeeda Actually, I love your post. I can't agree more.
0 permalink
4/25/2011 9:04:13 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Yeah, well, I had just got home from getting a tooth pulled at the dentists and so wasn't in the best of moods anyway. Plus I had went outside this morning, so maybe the sun did give me , what..........clarity?
jkag89,
Maybe in the first 4 or 5 weeks, okay I agree, the polls are useless. But the post season posturing for national seeds, regionals and the rest IS starting now. There are really only 4 to 5 weeks left and where teams are sitting NOW and what those positions mean with regard to RPIs (or as DM puts it Rat's Patootie Index) and ISRs really do matter. So being slighted in the polls NOW does make a difference in post season and does matter (or at least to this Beaver fan).
0 permalink
4/25/2011 11:09:08 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Yeah fb, I hear your pain. I had a cranky day at work, and my ducks are still wallowing in obscurity. But looking at boyds, and your rpi, and the needs thingy.. looks like a national seed is not attainable. I would think it would be considering the continued success. The ducks could go 17-5, and the beavers 10-11 or something like that and end up in the same spot. Be happy that post season is going your way. Not looking so good for us. At least most of the teams we play will boost our RPI, and most of yours will drop your RPI if you lose. I guess that is what happens when you are top dog. Enjoy it. Our FB team made it look so easy, to stay on top. Baseball seems much harder. More luck and timing involved imo.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 11:52:24 AM

jkag89
jkag89
Florida Beaver wrote:

jkag89,
Maybe in the first 4 or 5 weeks, okay I agree, the polls are useless. But the post season posturing for national seeds, regionals and the rest IS starting now. There are really only 4 to 5 weeks left and where teams are sitting NOW and what those positions mean with regard to RPIs (or as DM puts it Rat's Patootie Index) and ISRs really do matter. So being slighted in the polls NOW does make a difference in post season and does matter (or at least to this Beaver fan).

Show me where the committee uses the various polls as I guide for protected seeds then I'll agree. From what I gathered it is the RPI and ISR in which they rely upon.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 4:46:01 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
It might not be in print, but you betcha they have some bias going into their war room for seeding. If two teams are about even, the seeders bias from reading the polls will make a difference no matter how much they pride themselves in being unbiased.
0 permalink
4/26/2011 11:26:14 PM

jkag89
jkag89
If they are about even, then I don't think you have much to complain about. There is still a month of ball yet to play, plenty of time for teams to solidify positions. If the Beavers win the Pac-10 that will carry far more weight than April polls. The only way I can see the polls having any significant influence is if all were in some sort of agreement on a team, ranking them consistently above their RPI/ISR. The polls right now are widely varied, don't see how the jumble helps one team over an other unless one poll carries more weight than another.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post