Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kevin Gausman

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/7/2011 2:55:53 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
KG started off great but his last two starts have been downright brutal. Mainieri has been pretty blunt about the inability to establish secondaries but can you resident Tiger fans give some details about what you see going wrong right now? I think the sky is the limit with this kid, but apparently he needs more polish than his early season exploits indicated.
0 permalink
4/7/2011 3:08:34 PM

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I talked to a scout who was at Gausman's last start. He said that Gausman's raw stuff was outstanding, solid plus fastball, a change up that keeps improving and a breaking ball that was inconsistent but flashed plus potential. His account was that in the second inning Gausman allowed a couple of ground ball base hits and starting trying to overpower hitters and subsequently got the ball up in the zone. Then he got ripped.

The lesson is that freshman pitchers are still 18 year olds (or 19 year old, as Gausman is) and that's why college coaches would rather play older, more mature players. A more experienced pitcher would have said "Hey, 2 cheap runs, I'll keep going here," while a youngster wants to pitch outside his envelope.

LSU is in a position where it has to throw a number of young pitchers this year. McCune is evidently the most mature, he "get's it" at an early stage. Gausman and Eades have had their moments but have also shown their youth. With coaches like LSU has, their chances of learning are very good.....with patience.
edited by RawnsleyD on 4/7/2011
0 permalink
4/9/2011 6:53:41 PM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Thanks, Dave. That's sort of what I figured from Mainieri's comments, which were very pointed and read as a little bit of tough love. I've watched highlights of Gausman's starts before that and what I saw jibed exactly with what you write. The first couple of starts he was mostly FB (thrown downhill and at the knees for the most part), then he started to gain some confidence in the secondaries and seemed to be taking off. In some ways it seems like he's relearning the same lessons he had to learn in his summer collegiate league. I think the failure will do him some good. He has absolutely unimpeachable raw stuff and sometimes guys like that need a reminder that it's about pitching. Thanks again for such a detailed response. Much appreciated.
0 permalink
4/11/2011 8:22:21 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
Nice return to form for KG: 8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K
0 permalink
4/12/2011 8:02:19 AM

theskipper
theskipper
Somebody will have to teach Gausman what to do with all that money he is going to end up getting. He is on a short list of the best prospects (with highest ceiling) in college baseball. He is going to get stronger and even better yet, before he becomes draft eligible again.
0 permalink
4/12/2011 8:34:20 AM

E-Dub
E-Dub
theskipper wrote:
Somebody will have to teach Gausman what to do with all that money he is going to end up getting. He is on a short list of the best prospects (with highest ceiling) in college baseball. He is going to get stronger and even better yet, before he becomes draft eligible again.

Ha! I know. I was watching Mat Latos last night, and while they aren't similar in terms of delivery, I did find myself wondering if Gaus might end up with Latos' build and similar stuff.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Kevin Gausman