Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ACC Rankings Weeks 7

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/4/2011 8:43:47 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
Here is where things stand in the ACC at the midpoint of the season, with mid-season awards as they stand to date.

1. Virginia - Could be the best team in America right now
2. Georgia Tech - Will have a chance to take the top spot, just need 2 wins on the weekend
3. N. Carolina - Should finally start to get some respect, but still needs to win, the season is only half over
4. Florida State - Overall a good week. Maryland is no pushover and beating UF was big
5. Miami - Leapfrogs Clemson after the most impressive offensive display of the year
6. Clemson - What is going on in Tiger town? Leggett needs to shake things up
7. NC State - A team on the rise. Nothing spectacular, but they are winning the games they should win
8. Maryland - Clemson is not a lock to win this weekend series, especially given the play of David Carroll, he is a stud on the mound
9. Boston College - A tough weekend, this team just catches no breaks at all when it comes to scheduling
10. Wake Forest - A decent week for the Deac's, they should get a series win this week
11. Duke - The bottom has fallen out of a season that at one time had some promise
12. Virginia Tech - a bad team that hits a lot of Home Runs (tied for 6th in the Nation)

Coach of the Year - Brian O'Conner
Player of the Year - Danny Hultzen
Rookie of the Year - Kyle Wren

Virginia's pitching staff has just been dominant, they are 2nd Nationally in Strikeouts per 9 innings (10.9) and 5th Nationally in Walks per 9 innings (2.18), they are also 5th Nationally in ERA (2.00).

Georgia Tech is getting it done with the bats, 6th nationally with a .333 BA.

4 ACC teams rank in the top 20 in the nation in Runs Scored: N. Carolina (4), Georgia Tech (T12), Florida State (17) and Virginia (18).

Overall the ACC is having a terrific season, with at least 4 teams looking to secure regionals and an outside possibility at 4 of the Top 8 seeds.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 3:38:44 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Check out Colin Moran's stats: 41 rbi's vs. 20 for Kyle Wren. Slugging percentage of .626 vs. Wren's .540. OBP of .481 vs. Wren's .486.

Still the same conclusion?

Coach of the Year: Who didn't expect Virginia to have this kind of year? How about a coach whose team achieved more than expected?
0 permalink
4/5/2011 3:45:06 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Boston College "catches no breaks?"

First of all, they're in BOSTON. What else could have been expected in baseball when they were added to the conference?

Given how Miami walked all over them (in a season when Miami is struggling), how did Boston College come out on the short end of the stick when they refused to play on Friday or Saturday; thus limiting their series to two games? How is it that Tufts' and others' fields were playable on Saturday when Boston College deemed theirs unplayable? That seems to be creating their own breaks.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 6:09:06 AM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
1. You can certainly make the case for Moran, without much argument, he has meant a lot to his team. I think Wren has been very good too. Wren has a better BA, .419 to .361 and 13 more hits than Moran. Also, Wren has a better OBP than Moran. The thing for me that puts it over the top is that Georgia Tech has just been a better baseball team against better competition, so far...

2. As for Brian O'Conner, you can't tell me there is another coach in the country in 2011 that has gotten more out of his team than BOC. Virginia was the team that lost more talent than anyone, according to most media outlets prior to the season. They had to replace a weekend starter, the centerifleder who was the best hitter, a 4 year player at SS who went pro, they have had injuries at SS, and all they have done is lead the nation in Victories and winning percentagte while beating FSU, ECU, Clemson, plus the Aurburn Tourney. You can say there are other coaches who may deserve to be in the conversation, but Brian O'Conner is hands down the best coach in the ACC right now.

3. I never said that Bc would be a top 20 team if there schedule was a bit easier. I have them in the bottom 3rd of the rankings, but I do feel for their guys when it comes to scheduling. Here it is April and they can barely get the weather to cooperate for their first home series of the year. Miami may be struggling, but they are still well within reach of making a regional and should always be the winning team when they play BC, no matter where the series is played. I just would like to see BC get some decent weather for for a weekend series, it has to demoralizing to go 7-8 weeks without ever having a good opportunity to play a home series.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 6:11:29 AM

GTbaseball
GTbaseball
Coach of the Year = Danny Hall and its not even close.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 8:41:01 AM

rcw1126
rcw1126
Moran/Wren: The OBP is virtually even. TWICE as many rbi's for Moran. Wren gets the nod because GT's had the more successful season!? If that's an important criterion for you, your credibility on the POY topic went right out the window for me.

COY: Both Danny Hall and Mike Fox have gotten MUCH more out of their young teams this season. I think Brian O'Conner's a terrific coach; but, Hall and Fox have achieved more, so far this season, with what they came into the season with.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 12:59:33 PM

ACC Fan
ACC Fan
rcw1126 wrote:
Moran/Wren: The OBP is virtually even. TWICE as many rbi's for Moran. Wren gets the nod because GT's had the more successful season!? If that's an important criterion for you, your credibility on the POY topic went right out the window for me.

COY: Both Danny Hall and Mike Fox have gotten MUCH more out of their young teams this season. I think Brian O'Conner's a terrific coach; but, Hall and Fox have achieved more, so far this season, with what they came into the season with.

We'll have to agree, to disagree.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 6:26:26 PM

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I just can't go along with crowning O'Connor the best coach in the ACC. He had arguably the best team in the nation last year all year long and he watched Omaha at home. The best coaches turn it on in late May and June.
0 permalink
4/5/2011 10:24:11 PM

rcw1126
rcw1126
ACC Fan wrote:
rcw1126 wrote:

We'll have to agree, to disagree.

You've got that right, Brian.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » ACC Rankings Weeks 7