Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Cal dropping bsb, UCSD going D-1

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/18/2011 10:42:43 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
I had this discussion with the coaches over at San Diego State last weekend, and UC San Diego is planning to go Division I in college baseball by 2012, though, a student fee referendum must first be passed.

I find it interesting that Cal doesn't have the money to run a college baseball program at the D-1 level, but apparently little ole UC San Diego does.

Just another sign that Cal is simply a pathetic institution from an athletic standpoint.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
3/18/2011 10:47:09 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
FYI -- UCSD hopes to join the Big West.

--
0 permalink
3/18/2011 12:11:35 PM

eagleboy415
eagleboy415
They need to learn to manage their money better. Southern Miss has one of the worst athletic budgets in the nation, but we are required by state law to be in the black at the end of the fiscal year.

I think it has more to do with the athletic people just not wanting it. If they really wanted it, they'd find a way to keep it. Also, fans of Cal baseball should support it in full force.
0 permalink
3/18/2011 5:08:20 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
From what I heard from someone fighting the Cal movement to drop Baseball (my source is a major role player in the donations and effort to save Cal baseball) was that the persistence from the University to drop the sport has little to do with money (I heard on the donation side that pledges have more than surpassed the threshold). One of the University's main reasons is the need for more parking and they plan on leveling the baseball facilities to make room for more parking on campus where parking supposedly is a big issue. This would explain why despite the money raised they have reinstated other sports (including RUGBY) but not baseball.
0 permalink
3/18/2011 8:57:35 PM

paintitblack
paintitblack
Kendall,

You may want to check back in with sources you have at Cal to get an update where things stand now concerning reinstatement.
0 permalink
3/19/2011 11:21:29 AM

CWSOmahaGators
CWSOmahaGators
Kendall,

I am in no way defending Cal in the way they run their athletic department. There is definitely something to be desired and if they had stronger leadership and approached things more proactively.

However, comparing UCSD and Cal is unfair as far as fielding a baseball team. Considering Cal has a football team and UCSD does not and the fact Title IX exists. It is actually easier for a non-football school to field a baseball team than a football school too.

While I believe Cal, being in the PAC 10 and having a prominent football, could definitely keep baseball if they wanted to and were a little bit smarter and strategic with money. However, I am actually surprised more athletic departments with lesser football teams do not cut their baseball programs. Generally, baseball programs are expensive to run in, considering the low revenue they bring in. Football is the highest revenue sport and to compete these days you have to put money into the program, however to put more money into the football program, you have to put equitable money into women's sports. This money to enhance a school's football program could easily be acquired from cutting baseball.

My point being, UCSD does not have a football program, therefore it is easier financially to support a baseball team. Furthermore comparing a non-football school and a school with football in regards to supporting a baseball program is unfair. For Cal, they are obviously looking for a way to increase revenues and their approach is to cut baseball and without that expense, they will either have extra money to spend or be more stable financially. I understand their approach, it makes sense for some programs that would be inclined to do this.

For UCSD, they are looking for ways to improve their athletic programs and their baseball team is a solid team and making by making that move they hope to advance their athletics program as a whole. It's a fallacy to compare the two schools in terms of their baseball programs.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 2:50:03 PM

Irvinebaseballfan
Irvinebaseballfan
Your OP is an interesting choice of words that I have to admit surprised me a bit, Kendall. I don't know that I would indict the entire athletic department so scathingly. And as CWSOmahaGators said, comparing UCSD to Cal is apples and oranges.
0 permalink
3/20/2011 2:54:08 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Irvinebaseballfan wrote:
Your OP is an interesting choice of words that I have to admit surprised me a bit, Kendall. I don't know that I would indict the entire athletic department so scathingly. And as CWSOmahaGators said, comparing UCSD to Cal is apples and oranges.

Irvine,
I'll refer to the Cal athletic department that scathingly as long as it continues to be run like a high school fundraiser. When your athletic department is in THAT big of a budget hole because of poor management and other issues, you've got some major issues. That's not even debatable, IMO.

--
0 permalink
3/20/2011 7:45:23 PM

RoundingThirdStaff
RoundingThirdStaff
i have to agree with Kendall on this one. The athletic department has done nothing to fund raise for it's non-revenue generating sports. Those Non-revenue sports have to raise funds on their own as is evident by the Save Cal baseball effort to do it on their own...There's no leadership at the top...outside of football, the other sports are run like high school programs.
0 permalink
3/26/2011 5:36:24 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall wrote:
Just another sign that Cal is simply a pathetic institution from an athletic standpoint.

They're rather pathetic on the pro-America standpoint too, but that's another topic.

Would UCSD go the independent route initially like CS Bakersfield?
0 permalink
3/26/2011 9:21:57 PM

GoDores2005
GoDores2005
Dodger Matt wrote:

No, they have to be sponsored by a conference to move up. Their plans to move up are contingent on the Big West's sponsorship.
0 permalink
3/27/2011 1:35:09 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
GoDores2005 wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

No, they have to be sponsored by a conference to move up. Their plans to move up are contingent on the Big West's sponsorship.

Gunna be interesting in 2012 when the Big West also receives Hawaii...I wonder how big the are planning to expand?
0 permalink
3/29/2011 2:49:57 AM

CDinSV
CDinSV
OpihiMan wrote:
GoDores2005 wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

Gunna be interesting in 2012 when the Big West also receives Hawaii...I wonder how big the are planning to expand?

I would really like to see CSUB be the 12th team to make it an even number for the BWC. The 'Runners have been competing with the current 9 schools over the last two seasons (with the exception of LBSU & CSF) and have just as good of a record (15-25) as LBSU (18-30) during the two seasons that the program has been in existence.
0 permalink
3/29/2011 1:11:56 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
CDinSV wrote:
OpihiMan wrote:
GoDores2005 wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

I would really like to see CSUB be the 12th team to make it an even number for the BWC. The 'Runners have been competing with the current 9 schools over the last two seasons (with the exception of LBSU & CSF) and have just as good of a record (15-25) as LBSU (18-30) during the two seasons that the program has been in existence.

Have to believe Bakersfield's 2011 campaign is helping its case to be admitted to the Big West.

--
0 permalink
3/29/2011 2:38:58 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
There's a lot more to this decision with the Big West than just baseball.

The conference doesn't want an odd number of teams, which is why it's doubtful that only one school will be added.

The Big West is tired of taking in D2 teams making the transition to D1.

The Big West doesn't want to have to divide up the slim pickings 12 ways that they get from March Madness.

The Big West isn't too keen on Bakersfield's academics (poor in the academic standings) and the size of the school (smaller school population by far than any of the other public schools in the conf).

The Big West had a chance to add both UCSD and Bakersfield and chose not to and doesn't have any set plans at this time to bring the matter up for discussion again. Could that change in the future? Sure.
edited by FullertonBaseballFan on 3/30/2011
0 permalink
3/30/2011 2:28:16 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
FullertonBaseballFan wrote:
There's a lot more to this decision with the Big West than just baseball.

The conference doesn't want an odd number of teams, which is why it's doubtful that only one school will be added.

The Big West is tired of taking in D2 teams making the transition to D1.

The Big West doesn't want to have to divide up the slim pickings 12 ways that they get from March Madness.

The Big West isn't took keen on Bakersfield's academics (poor in the academic standings) and the size of the school (smaller school population by far than any of the other public schools in the conf).

The Big West had a chance to add both UCSD and Bakersfield and chose not to and doesn't have any set plans at this time to bring the matter up for discussion again. Could that change in the future? Sure.

Then I'd figure the Big West has to be stoked to get Hawai'i
0 permalink
3/30/2011 9:17:54 AM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
The Big West was thrilled to add Hawaii once things were worked out with 1) their football program being a football only member of the MWC and 2) travel subsidies for Big West teams traveling to Hawaii.
0 permalink
4/8/2011 11:20:48 AM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
Cal Baseball is officially back in business.

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/04/08/baseball-to-continue-at-cal/
Baseball program will continue at UC Berkeley
By Herb Benenson, Intercollegiate Athletics | April 8, 2011

BERKELEY — The University of California, Berkeley, baseball program will continue to represent the campus as an Intercollegiate Athletics sport, now and into the future, as the result of a successful and ongoing fundraising effort on the part of alumni, former players, parents of current players and other team supporters, campus officials said today (Friday, April 8).

After a significant increase in philanthropic pledges in the last few days, commitments totaling $9 million were presented to Chancellor Robert Birgeneau yesterday by Stu Gordon, a former Golden Bear pitcher and leader of the fundraising effort. In light of the fact that the funds raised remain about 10 percent short of the previously identified $10 million goal, donors and the campus administration have agreed that the team’s formal reinstatement will be announced once the $10 million target is met through continued fundraising. Birgeneau said he is encouraged by and appreciative of the tremendous outpouring of support for the continuation of varsity baseball at UC Berkeley.

“The baseball team’s preservation is yet another example of how our alumni are stepping up to support their alma mater during a time of unprecedented financial challenges,” he said. “I am grateful, on behalf of the campus community, for what our alumni and supporters have accomplished, and pleased that Cal baseball will continue to represent the university in intercollegiate competition. Most especially, I want to thank Stu Gordon for his inspired leadership of this fundraising effort. It would not have happened without him. I have faith in the community’s ability not only to meet, but to exceed, the $10 million target in the near future.”

UC Berkeley officials announced that the team’s supporters have not only raised significant one-time funding, but are also working closely with the university to develop a strategic plan to raise significant additional annual resources, beginning with the 2011-12 season. This strategic plan will focus on improved game-day revenues, as well as additional annual gift and special event revenue. The plan being developed also calls for a substantial increase in the sport’s permanent endowment, seeded by some of the gifts already raised.
edited by FullertonBaseballFan on 4/8/2011
0 permalink
4/14/2011 6:21:44 AM

boydnation
boydnation
GoDores2005 wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:

Is this a UC system rule or just an internal requirement that UCSD is making?
0 permalink
4/14/2011 11:27:22 AM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
Boyd, that is UCSD's call. They want their teams to play in a conference (and the collection of teams from coast to coast in the Great West isn't what they have in mind) when they make the move up to D-1.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Cal dropping bsb, UCSD going D-1