Perfect Game Forum

Dodger Matt - all messages by user

6/24/2012 8:36:15 PM
Topic:
SC vs UA

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
English can now use his speed to run back to the dugout & back out to the field.

This is a great sarcastic line, Fred. Nice job!

LAVENDER GEEZER: Can anyone beat Tanner English on his way back to the dugout after grounding out to second?

KYLE PETERSON: He's the fastest guy thrown out returning to the dugout.

LAVENDER GEEZER: I think Alex Mejia just decided to let him go. As soon as he saw English was called out at first, he decided to let him go grab some Gatorade and didn't even bother to throw to the dugout because he knew English would be there emptying his second cup of Gatorade before the ball even got there.
6/24/2012 8:39:30 PM
Topic:
SC vs UA

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sorry, Cock fans, but that's it. I had to see one game, but I'm convinced now. If Heyer pitches tomorrow, you're done. If not, then you might last another day.
6/24/2012 8:41:59 PM
Topic:
Woman Sues Little League Catcher for $500,000

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
It's called "competitive cheer".
6/24/2012 9:12:26 PM
Topic:
IMPORTANT: ESPN Test

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
No, just in a drunken stuper. Or is it stooper?
ASU74 wrote:
Test results....About even tonight....anyone passed out?

edited by BeaverBob on 6/24/2012

I think it's "stupider". You might have to ask the queen though.
6/24/2012 9:18:51 PM
Topic:
Thoughts and prayers for a deceased family member

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Tim, sorry. Way sadder stuff. But...we all have to deal with sad things. I found myself consoling a woman at church this morning who had lost her husband last week. It always comes around, the longer you've been around. But it still hurts.
6/24/2012 9:29:28 PM
Topic:
IMPORTANT: ESPN Test

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I WAS your friend. That was before the Queen--Her Majesty and Sole Proprietor of Infinite Ignorance--dubbed me Stupider Propaganda Minister of the Proletariat and Other Fools Temporarily Necessary for Faux Democratic Purposes Until the Great Revolution. Now my role is to sicken the normal with idiot thoughts and dumb down the masses to the point of complacency and/or apathy. I hope you will send a notice to the Queen that I have made a negative mark on your soul and have reduced you in mental capacity or at least reduced your desire to uphold the rights guaranteed in our Constitution.

Also, if you wet the bed, consider donating the proceeds to Queen Nancy's reelection campaign. She only need s a few more electoral victories before she can do away with elections altogether, and every ounce counts.
6/25/2012 7:08:17 PM
Topic:
Championship

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
I think Arizona wins with their batboy.. I just think this is their time. But I have been known to be wrong.

For those of you uninitiated with the rhetorical device RD just employed, it is called the "understatement". Nice job, RD.

And contrary to your claim, you might be right. Farris is looking as good as Roth so far, and he has a lead.
6/25/2012 7:27:54 PM
Topic:
Championship

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
1whoknows wrote:
West Coast Ball v. East Coast Ball

PAC12 wins again is my prediction. Goodbye SEC.

Mmm, not so sure about that. SoCar is built like the Oregon State teams of 2005 to 2007. Small ball, pitching, and defense are often associated with "west coast ball", and gorilla ball has long been an SEC thing. These teams are almost reversed in that regard.
6/25/2012 8:41:49 PM
Topic:
Dog Pile

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Not another dogpile thread!
6/25/2012 9:53:52 PM
Topic:
Oregon State Assistant Marty Lees Takes Job at OSU

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wow. Well, not knowing anything about it until now and just speculating, here are a few things to consider:
  • Casey's pending retirement has always seemed like smoke to me. I don't see the guy going off into the sunset all that soon, and not now especially with a great team set for the next two years. Plus now that Lees is gone? He will want to make sure things are settled before leaving. IMO, chances that Casey leave in the next three years are diminished (if they were ever really that high) by this announcement.
  • I have wondered who would replace Casey when the time comes. Although I have respected Marty Lees, I have long been in favor of Pat Bailey taking on that mantle, and it looks like he is the heir-apparent now that the long-timer is gone. Bailey is a great guy, and a national champion coach in his own right, having taken the Division III crown while at George Fox.
  • Nate Yeskie has only been a volunteer? Hmm. And Dan Spencer has lost his job as head coach at his alma mater Texas Tech? And one of my favorite former players, RHP Kevin Gunderson, was seen at Goss this year talking to Casey about helping with the pitching staff? How much better could the stars align? I don't see Casey throwing Yeskie under the bus...not directly; not his style. But if there is enough turmoil in the coaching staff that is not of his initiation, and he feels this is a way to create more stability and make some changes that a lot of fans have been clamoring for now for a few years, it could be the best thing for Beaver fans. I don't know that Spence will come back that easily, to be assistant coach again. Maybe. Unless he is given second-in-command status, which means no to Bailey. Maybe he comes in as a volunteer like Yeskie is now and eventually there is some other change. Don't know. Too many options here.
  • Is Pac-12 (someday-to-be 16) expansion out of the question for the next few years? The way the Big XII was cannibalized, it might not be that farfetched to think that the Oklahoma schools, Texas, and one other Lone Star school might make up the Southwest Division of the Pac-16, to go along with the Mountain Division (Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona) Golden Division (UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford) and Pacific Northwest Division (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State). With the SEC taking on schools 13 and 14, their eventual grab of two more seems inevitable, and the race for superconferences of 16 teams will be on. And if you slice them in half for playoff purposes, a division of eight teams (the Southwest and Mountain Divisions mentioned above) would be like an improved Big XII for those teams, with the advantage of playing the two western divisions' champion for a chance at the national title against the SEC champ in football. Texas and the OK schools get to play ASU and Arizona every year. I'm rambling here, sorry. Not sure there is even an indirect connection with Lees going to OkSt, but it seems like some great coincidences. We could see him in Corvallis every other year in the future anyway.
Perhaps just my imagination working overtime.
6/25/2012 10:00:07 PM
Topic:
Ideas to increase traffic on this forum

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
There is another LSU fan here, AstroTiger, I think? But I don't see him that often.

So, the consensus to increase traffic, based on the responses, is to start more nonbaseball puerile humor topics! I'll keep that in mind. Whaaaaa?
6/25/2012 11:31:35 PM
Topic:
BEAR DOWN Arizona 2012 CWS Champions!

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yes, but the SEC still owns best record for the last five, ten, twenty, and thirty years. Pac-12 is still tops all-time, and it could retake best in the last ten and thirty with a couple more titles, but the SEC is front-loaded with SoCar's run.
6/26/2012 6:16:53 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I'm more of a regionalist. Anything west coast. Graduated from a third-tier school that was Division II at the time, but I have friends and family who have affiliations with ASU, USC, UCLA, OSU, and I have always rooted for the Pac. That usually meant rooting for the Trojans on New Year's Day to kick Michigan's or Ohio State's ass in the Rose Bowl. When I moved to Oregon, I adopted one of the worst sports schools in the area because they were perpetual underdogs and that allowed me to go see a game whenever I wanted. Plus those stinking Ducks didn't even have baseball. I mean what kind of crap school doesn't have baseball?

Anyway, I will always root for a Pac-12 team (except for the communist schools...in the Gay Bay, Seattle, People's Republic of Eugene), then an Oregon or Cal team, or anything on the west coast, then anything west of the Continental Divide. After that, it devolves to who is the underdog (root for) or which school has jackasses as fans, famous alumni, or administrators (root against); which school belongs to a conference that seems to be winning it all lately (root against), which school seems to have decent kids and coaches (root for). But it really starts at tthe pacific coastline and move eastward.

I know you asked, but did you really care to hear all that?
6/26/2012 11:30:25 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
6611? Only 55 more posts until that guy (whoever he is) sprouts horns. Maybe he'll look like Sparky.

Well, that could take about a year....

Green Tongue
6/26/2012 11:51:48 PM
Topic:
World Series Notes-Wildcats' title the school's 18

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
And nowhere did you mention Tracie Ruiz-Conforto and her synchronized swimming AIAW championships for Arizona.
    "Ruiz-Conforto and fellow Arizona Wildcat Candy Costie won gold in the women’s synchronized duet at the 1984 games in Los Angeles. Ruiz-Conforto also earned gold for her solo performance. Ruiz-Conforto and Costie were instrumental in achieving AIAW Championships for Arizona in 1981 and 1984."
Also just found out this, while searching for details on Tracie's college career. Didn't realize Michael played in Williamsport. I'm betting this kid will also play in Omaha within the next two years. (Sorry...didn't mean to hijack your Arizona thread with Conforto stories. Things like that just happen around me, I guess.)
6/27/2012 7:29:27 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Seriously? The worst of the worst: the Calestine Golden Camels (aka UC Berserkley). The COW (Cal, Oregon, Washington) schools are the big lefties, although Stanford probably looks normal because of its proximity to the Calestinians. I have to say though that the kids on the Cal BASEBALL team look decent, and in that respect it's hard to root against them. But I know that institution. When you have a student body government that opposes flying an American flag on campus on 9/11 because they don't want to hurt the feelings of their students, there is something seriously wrong with the "thinking" going on there.

I worked with a Cal grad for a while. When the Beavers stomped them at their place in football one year (when Cal was ranked 2 in the nation, I think), I had great fun telling him I had seen video of Cal fans leaving the stadium who were so dejected they THREW AWAY their flammable US flags WITHOUT EVEN LIGHTING THEM ON FIRE! Hundreds of American flags in Berkeley trash cans, still in their protective plastic baggies, and not a single one singed. Big Grin
6/29/2012 8:07:11 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Hedegoba88 wrote:
No Christmas trees?!?! Damn, what is going on over there? Do ya'll at least have Santa?

Santa Barbara. But I understand under Governor Moonbeam's smiling visage, she just got gay-married to Santa Monica.
7/1/2012 6:05:38 PM
Topic:
Aaron Fitt of Baseball America - 2013 Forecast

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall Rogers . . . . . Aaron Fitt
---------------------------------------------
ARKANSAS . . . . . . . . ARKANSAS
MISSISSIPPI STATE. . . . MISSISSIPPI STATE
NORTH CAROLINA . . . . . NORTH CAROLINA
NORTH CAROLINA STATE . . NORTH CAROLINA STATE
OREGON STATE . . . . . . OREGON STATE
SOUTH CAROLINA . . . . . STANFORD
UCLA . . . . . . . . . . TEXAS CHRISTIAN
VANDERBILT . . . . . . . VANDERBILT
Heck, they both alphabetized their lists and ended up with the first five and eighth teams in the same sequence. The only difference between the two lists is the sixth and seventh teams.

Kendall's "Others to watch" teams include TCU, Oregon, Arizona, Florida, Louisiana State, Ole Miss, Cal State Fullerton, Pepperdine, Florida State, and Louisville.

Fitt lists Cal State Fullerton, Florida State, Louisville, Mississippi, Oregon, Rice, South Carolina, Texas as his next eight and Arizona, UCLA, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana State, Pepperdine, San Diego, Southern Mississippi as his "sleepers".

It looks like SoCar, TCU, and UCLA are in that 7 to 10 range for both guys. Why Stanford doesn't even appear on Kendall's "to watch" list is a mild surprise. All the green teams are those on both "next in line" lists, and you can see a lot overlap there as well. The only teams not on both lists are in red.

I can't say much about the nonwestern teams, but I feel certain Oregon State is an Omaha-bound team for 2013, and I think UCLA and Stanford are also likely candidates. Arizona, ASU, and Oregon would be my Pac-12 "sleepers".
7/1/2012 6:09:46 PM
Topic:
Aaron Fitt of Baseball America - 2013 Forecast

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Just cuz I don't like skipping from one page to the next to see relevant prognostications about the Beavers, here are both analysts' summaries of Oregon State (serial commas added for clarity):

Kendall Rogers: The Beavers were just a couple of wins away this season from reaching an NCAA Super Regional, but fell short against a very good LSU club. Well, the Beavers should return to Omaha next season with the personnel coming back in 2013. OSU only hit .281 this past season, but should be improved with a lot of returning players being more experienced. Sophomore Michael Conforto, one of the nation's premier hitters, once again will lead the charge. Meanwhile, the Beavers also welcome back Tyler Smith, Danny Hayes, Jake Rodriguez, Ryan Barnes, Dylan Davis, and Kavin Keyes. Pitching is what will carry this OSU team, though. The Beavers welcome back a very good pitching staff, led by starting pitchers Jace Fry, Dan Child, and Ben Wetzler. Meanwhile, the bullpen also is in good shape with the likely return of Matt Boyd, a 13th rounder to the Cincinnati Reds, and the return of Tony Bryant, Scott Schultz, and Cole Brocker. The sky will be limit for these Beavers.

Aaron Fitt: Oregon State's last recruiting class ranked No. 7 in the nation, but perhaps only N.C. State's class made more of an impact this spring. Outfielder Michael Conforto instantly became one of the premier power hitters on the West Coast—or anywhere else—and lefthander Jace Fry lived up to his billing, leading the Beavers in ERA. The Beavers lost a pair of drafted regulars in Ryan Dunn and Ryan Gorton, but their other key everyday players are back, including breakout shortstop Tyler Smith, rifle-armed catcher Jake Rodriguez, and undrafted juniors Danny Hayes and Ryan Barnes. Dylan Davis should continue to refine his massive raw tools—both on the mound and at the plate—as a sophomore, and Kavin Keyes should bounce back from his lackluster sophomore year. If 13th-rounder Matt Boyd doesn't sign, the Beavers will have all of the key pieces back in a very deep pitching staff, including starters Ben Wetzler and Dan Child plus relievers Scott Schultz, Tony Bryant, and Cole Brocker. Lefthander Carlos Rodriguez and righty Riley Wilkerson should find more innings as sophomores and could be difference-makers. The wild card is perennially injured righty Adam Duke, who has flashed premium raw ability but has yet to blossom into a star.
7/1/2012 6:15:51 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I see beavos88 has volunteered for bullet 3 on my list. Bong
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121