National Predictions: Week 7

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
FLA 3-0
Stan 2-1
Ark 2-1
UK 2-1
ASU 2-1

So this is the Pac-12/SEC prediction thread this week?
3/30/2012 5:43:10 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 7

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
WHERE'S RIVERDUCK?
3/30/2012 9:39:24 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Stanford up 7-4 in the bottom of the 9th load the bases with free passes to Wildcats, then with one out give up two singles, the second one scoring three because of an error on the center fielder, and end up losing 8-7. Ouch.

That's exactly how the Cats came back on the Beavers all three games last weekend.
3/30/2012 9:41:33 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Also, EIGHT errors in that Stanford-UA game, 5 by the Cats. In 8 innings, Kurt Heyer allowed 7 runs, only 2 earned.
3/30/2012 10:33:11 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
UCLA blasts Utah with 16 hits, blanking them 16-0. They scored in every inning but the 2nd and 9th, including a 4-run 3rd and a 5-run 8th.

Almost a bad a beating was what Cal took from the Longhorns, 13-3. After four innings, Texas led 10-0. Juston Jones only lasted 2.2 IP, giving up 8 runs (6 earned).

USC and Wazzu traded 5-run frames in the 6th in another sloppy game (4 Trojan errors, 2 Cougar errors) full of runs and more reminiscent of a Sunday game than a Friday night pairing of aces. Down 10-7 in the 9th, USC scored 8. USC doubled Wazzu in hits (20-10).
3/31/2012 6:38:52 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Bob, I don't want to jump on Yeskie, but the Brocker episodes last week were horrible. After he gave away the lead in game one (that we barely got back), I was horrified to see him come back in game two. But he got out of the inning, and I thought, "Okay, he got his second chance and has rebuilt his confidence." But they sent him back out the next inning! And he got blasted and we lost. I don't know what is up with Tony Bryant lately. He's let a couple saves get away from him.
3/31/2012 8:09:17 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Konner Wade is pitching a gem against the Cardinal. He's only allowed one runner, a hit batsman in the 2nd. Oh-- spoke too soon. I was going to say a no hitter through 5-plus innings, and Lonnie Kauppila got the Cardinal's first hit, a single to pitcher, according to GameTracker. I hope that wasn't a cheapass bunt. If it was a swinging bunt or a nubber that barely made it to the mound, then okay. But it's moot. Jake Stewart followed that with a double. Still, AZ clinging to a 1-0 lead.
3/31/2012 8:12:32 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Beavs up 7-0. I'm okay if Yeskie wants to bring Brocker in.
4/1/2012 12:28:21 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Saturday’s games
  • Arizona 4, Stanford 2. Arizona scored an unearned run in the 1st on a two-out single followed by a double and an error. Konner Wade had a no-hitter going through five innings, but Stanford knocked three hits in the 6th, grabbing a 2-1 lead. Arizona got those two runs back, both unearned, in the bottom of the frame. Then they tacked on a run (finally earned) in the 8th on a bases-loaded HBP RBI. Brett Mooneyham went 7.1 IP and allowed all four runs, though only the last one was earned. Konner Wade pitched the full nine and allowed only 3 hits and 2 runs (1 earned).
    Arizona leads series 2-0.
  • Game one: Washington 3, OSU 1 (10 innings). Entering the 10th tied 1-1, the Huskies led off with two singles against Tony Bryant. With runners at the corners and one out, they scored one on a suicide squeeze, then another on a dropped flyball. The Beavers scored one in the bottom of the 10th and left the tying run on third when Michael Conforto flied out to center.
  • Game two: OSU 9, Washington 0. All nine starters for OSU got at least one hit, and six of those nine got two hits, as the Beavers avenged an extra-inning loss in game one by slapping 15 hits and shutting out the Dawgs. Dan Child pitched 8.0 shutout innings, scattering 6 hits. Michael Conforto and Ryan Dunne hit homers, a two-run bomb and solo shot respectively.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Game one: Oregon 1, ASU 0. Both starting pitchers--Brady Rodgers and Alex Keudell--pitched the entire games, but Keudell proved slightly better, even though their stats are virtually identical. Rodgers’s only mistake was a 1-0 solo homer to Aaron Jones. Both pitchers faced 30 batters and allowed 4 hits. Keudell struck out 2 and walked 2; Rodgers struck out 3 and walked none.
  • Game two: Oregon 3, ASU 1. The Ducks used the long ball again in game two, with two solo shots coming off Kyle Garlick’s bat. Oregon had another shutout until Joey DeMichele’s one-out solo blast off Jimmie Sherfy in the 9th.
    Oregon leads series 2-0.
  • UCLA 9, Utah 6. The Utes would not go away, inching back to within one or two runs every time UCLA put some distance between them. They actually outhit the Bruins 14-9. Tyler Heineman went 3 for 3 with 2 RBIs for UCLA. Trey Nielsen and Australian James Brooks were 3 for 5 for Utah.
    UCLA leads series 2-0.
  • Wazzu 9, USC 7. For a second day, Wazzu wrecked USC’s starter, scoring 4 runs on Ben Mount in the 1st and sending him packing after two innings, leading USC 5-0. But the Trojans scored a couple 3-run innings to take the lead after four, 6-5. Wazzu evened the score 6-6 in the 7th then jumped ahead 9-7 in the 8th. Wazzu had 17 hits to USC’s 13. With so much offense in the first two games using the top two pitchers for both teams, one has to wonder whether tomorrow’s game will break 30 combined runs.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Cal 12, Texas 2. The Golden Bears returned the 10-run butt-whuppin’ favor to Texas today, jumping on freshman Parker French for four runs in the 1st, and led 7-0 after four innings. They outhit the Longhorns 17-8. Darrel Matthews was 4 for 4 with 2 RBIs.
    Series tied 1-1.
4/1/2012 12:37:05 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
BeaverBob wrote:
Speaking of game tracker, my wife and daughter caught me watching gametracker of the Standford/Arizona game, listening to the Ducks game, watching and listening to the Beavers game online, and doing some work. My daughter just looked at me and asked me if I was retarded and then said I needed to get a life.

I'm almost in the same place, so I'm guessing I am probably not the only one here who is tired of seeing Jim Rome's cockeyed grill zoom in every ten seconds in GT's footer ad. Sheesh.
4/1/2012 5:42:39 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Florida Beaver wrote:
Congrats for your sweep RD. Too bad you didn't make your picks. You probably would have picked yer ducks to sweep

I was thinking the same thing. We won't have scores final until tomorrow's Wazzu-USC game, but I already know the Duck sweep of ASU is now the lowest average score ever. And RD didn't pick this week. So sad....
4/1/2012 9:53:22 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Sunday’s games
  • Arizona 6, Stanford 2. First time Arizona has swept Stanford since 1993. James Farris (4-1) pitched the full nine innings for the win, limiting the Cardinal to 6 hits and 2 (earned) runs. Arizona’s Joey Rickard was 3 for 5 with 1 RBI, and Robert Refsnyder was 2 for 3 with 3 RBIs, all on a 3-run homer in the 5th.
    Arizona sweeps series 3-0.
  • OSU 5, Washington 3. The Huskies scored three unearned runs in the first two innings on three Beaver errors. But Jace Frye (2-1) was solid, allowing only 2 hits over 7 IP, and the defense held the rest of the way. The Huskies loaded the bases in the 9th with one out, getting a single off Matt Boyd and two more off Tony Bryant, but BRyant struck out Caleb Brown and induced a ground out to end it for his fifth save. Michael Conforto got his second 2-run homer in as many days, in the 1st inning. Tyler Smith, the conference’s top hitter, improved his batting average, going 2 for 4, with 2 RBIs. Smith extended his hit streak to a season-long seven games, during which he is 15-for-26 (.577) with 8 RBIs.
    Oregon State wins series 2-1.
  • Oregon 4, ASU 3. The Ducks tally a rare conference sweep against Arizona State. Duck pitching once again blanked the Devils until late in the game, leading 3-0 after six. In the 7th, ASU got on the board. Oregon got it back in the 8th, which was good for them since ASU plated two in the 9th for a late, failed comeback bid.
    Oregon sweeps series 3-0.
  • UCLA 5, Utah 1. UCLA gave Utah the pac-12 greeting everyone thought they should have received two weeks ago. The sad thing for the Utes is, they did not win a Pac-12 home game this weekend and next week host Arizona, the new dominant team in the league, so their prospects of logging their first home conference victory may very well have to wait until Washington visits SLC on April 27. Grant Watson pitched 6 innings for the win.
    UCLA sweeps series 3-0.
  • Wazzu-USC: Rained out. Will play final game tomorrow.
    Series tied 1-1.
  • Cal 6, Texas 5. Turning around a horrible first game, the Cal Golden Bears evened the series yesterday with a thrashing of the Longhorns and took the series finale on a close one. Texas tied the game at 2 and at 4, and, behind 6-4 after six innings, inched closer with a run in the 8th, but that was all. Joey Donofrio pitched 2.1 IP, facing 8 batters and allowing only one hit, for the win. Mitch Delfino was 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs. (For some reason, they canceled the DH yesterday and settled on three games instead of four.)
    Cal wins series 2-1.
4/2/2012 7:47:24 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Summary

You probably thought Week 5 scores were bad (and they were), when USC was picked to sweep Utah by 14 of 15 then lost the series 2-1 (average score of 1.07). But this week’s were even worse, lowlighted by the new all-time lowest average score of 0.75 for the Oregon sweep of ASU, and two scores below 2.00: Arizona 3-0 over Stanford (1.17) and Cal 2-1 over Texas (1.92).

That does not take into account the fact that the postponed rubber match between USC and Wazzu has now been postponed until Tuesday, May 15. So I can’t add that series to this week’s scores...yet. It will have to wait until that final game is played. In the meantime, here are your temporary scores for Week 7.

14.0 ASU74
14.0 cswanson2k7
13.0 ConnorOSU
13.0 Dodger Matt
13.0 Florida Beaver
12.0 Rowdy
12.0 WCC1
11.0 BeaverBob
11.0 FullertonBaseballFan
11.0 OpihiMan
10.0 borgguy
10.0 MostUnknown
9.0 WildCard85

FYI, everyone’s score will be 2 or 4 points higher than what you see above, when that final game is played. Another way to look at it is this: You already have two more points than what is listed. If the team you picked (USC or Wazzu) wins, you get an extra two points. In any case, the “winner” this week will be either ASU74 (if Wazzu wins) or cswanson2k7 (if USC wins), one of whom will have a total of 18 points.
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/2/2012
4/2/2012 9:25:54 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 8

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 8

The ISRs are firming up. Two (at the time I wrote this)--Oregon State and Oregon--are exactly the same as the NCBWA poll rankings and three others--UCLA, Stanford, Arizona--are within three spots of the poll. So this week’s listings are again sorted by NCBWA and ISR (in parentheses).

This week's games
  • #19 (19) Oregon at #5 (3) UCLA
  • #17 (17) Oregon State at #23 (37) Arizona State
  • #6 (4) Stanford at (31) Washington
  • (50) California at (30) USC
  • #10 (7) Arizona at (186) Utah
  • (146) Seattle at (59) Wazzu
Week 8 Series
  • This week’s top series matches two top-20 teams, Oregon, a team tied for 3rd, with UCLA, a team tied for 1st. Oregon jumped in most polls and in the ISRs after sweeping ASU last week and sits at #19 in the NCBWA poll, even with their ISR. UCLA, after 3 embarrassing losses in their first five games (to Maryland twice and Baylor), went on a twelve-game win streak after that and have lost only two of their last 20 games. Both teams need to do well to stay close to Arizona, which will have an easier path this week.

• The other team tied for 3rd, Oregon State, visits Tempe to take on a frustrated Arizona State, currently in unfamiliar territory for Sun Devil fans--tied with Utah for 9th place. At 37, ASU has an uncommonly low (for them) ISR right now too, making it seem OSU, at 17 in the NCBWA poll and ISR, will have the upper hand. But they’ll be playing in ASU’s “crib” and facing a Sun Devil team currently on a four-game losing streak and not used to getting abused. This will be a hard-fought series.

• It seems strange that Stanford, ranked #2 nationally last week, would be sitting alone in 6th place after two weeks of conference play with a 2-4 record. They are still in the top ten in most polls and in the ISRs, but they play in Seattle against a resourceful 5th place Washington team with an ISR of 31. And Seattle’s weather this time of year does not favor teams that aren’t used to playing there.

• Cal may be on a rebound after coming back from a ten-run defeat in the opener with Texas to beat the Longhorns twice. They face a higher-ranked USC team at Rod Dedeaux Field. Both teams have a lot of potential and could still play an important role in the conference championship, even if neither will challenge for the honors. The next few weeks will be the springboard stretch of the schedule for both teams. A series win this week will be a big boost going forward.

• The blowout series this week, not surprisingly, will also take place in SLC, as the new kids to beat, the Arizona Wildcats, take on Utah. I don’t think Utah will overtake (undertake?) Cal for last place after this week, but it should get closer.

• Week 8’s nonconference series has Seattle at Wazzu. The Redhawks (14-10) have an ISR higher than Utah’s and some wins over UW, UC Davis (who beat Utah), BYU, and San Jose State. Not stellar, but certainly within the realm of possibility that they could steal one or two from the Cougs.
4/3/2012 7:43:42 PM
Topic:
PG 64: Projecting the NCAA field (4.3)

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Kendall, not that I'm complaining...matched with Kentucky--that's a ticket to Omaha for the Beavers. If I recollect correctly, you place the national seeds then match regional hosts up with them irrespective of their rankings 9 through 16. So I'll take that pairing.

But my question is this: If you're using the Rat's Patootie Index, why is Oregon State in the 9 to 16 range? Boyd's pseudorat's patootie has OSU at 21. No hosting for Fullerton, NMSU, SoCar, Miami, who have RPIs above OSU? There must be a criterion (or more) that you are using beyond the rat's patootie. Is it just Kendall's gut feeling? Or something else?
4/3/2012 8:03:30 PM
Topic:
Stanford meltdown?

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
I know the gods of the Devils....

Like Asmodeus, Beelzebub, Satan, Belphegor, Pelosi, Leviathan....
4/4/2012 10:11:34 PM
Topic:
PG 64: Projecting the NCAA field (4.3)

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
If things play out- and both Oregon and OSU deserve a regional host would it, could it happen, or would they play with a different venue and spread it out. Would it ever happen?
edited by Riverduck on 4/4/2012

Would/could it ever happen? Absolutely. Clemson and SoCar have hosted regionals the same year. CSF, UCI, UCLA...there are often cases where multiple sites within a short distance of each other, even in the same metropolis, occur.

This year? Unlikely but not impossible. Both teams would have to be at the top of the Pac-12. Yes, both currently are in the upper half of the conference, but I mean UCLA would have to drop considerably (a good Duck showing this weekend in Westwood might begin the process), and Stanford would have to continue their poor conference play. Will that happen? And it would also require other west coast teams (not in the Pac-12) to NOT be in the top 16-plus nationally. The NCAA likes to have regional representation for "regionals". (Seems like a duh statement, huh?) As Kendall noted in his explanation above, if one of the two Beaver State schools is only a little better than the top LA school for consideration of the last regional site, LA will get the nod. But if both Oregon and OSU are so good by year's end that there is discussion of both being national seeds, it would be nearly impossible to prevent both from hosting, even if only one gets one of the top eight seeds.

But do you think either is national seed material at this point in the season? Keep your eye on the teams in Kendall's regional hosting projections that are ahead of the Ducks and watch how they do. And compare to the Ducks' performance here on out.
4/4/2012 10:14:54 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 8

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
FS 2-1
UNC 2-1
UK 2-1
Ark 2-1
NC State 2-1
4/4/2012 10:22:29 PM
Topic:
Some Interesting Pac BB Stuff

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Good stuff!
4/4/2012 10:29:18 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 8

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Looks like we're only going to have 11 votes again this week. We've really lost a lot of ASU fans as their team has dropped off. Unfortunately, we have not made that deficit up with gains of fans from teams that have improved (Arizona, UW, USC, etc.) Despite Oregon's success, all they can muster is a single measly RiverDuck fan on this board. And I've only seen one Cal fan ever. And what is a Utah fan? Does it exist? Maybe Bigfoot could tell us if he has ever seen such a creature.

Anyway, here are my picks.

ucla 2-1
osu 2-1
stan 2-1
usc 2-1
ariz 3-0
wsu 3-0
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103