Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Dodger Matt - all messages by user

2/20/2012 8:18:20 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 1 (plus overview BONUS!)

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day four

Last two (bonus) games.

Oregon 12, Hawaii 6. Caught the ducktail end of this game (thanks, Opihiman!), and I have to say, the Ducks' offense looks pretty decent. After a slow start on Friday, the Ducks fought their way to an overtime victory Saturday and double-digit blasts the next two games. JJ Alltobelli again highlighted the offensive attack today going 5 for 6 with 2 RBIs, 2 runs, and 2 bags. DH Shaun Chase blasted a triple and a homer (not easy to do in that park, I understand), then took to the mound to pitch for part of an inning (not very successfully). Overall a very good series for the Ducks.

BTW, I totally skipped over SO Jimmie Sherfy's pitching performance yesterday scanning for relevant stats. Dude came on in relief in the 7th with the game tied 2-2 and pitched 5.2 innings, striking out 13 of the 25 batters he faced. He allowed two hits and no runs. That is a quality start. Don't know how long before he finds his way into the starting rotation.

Oregon wins series 3-1. (2-1, +1)

UC Davis 9, Utah 8 (10 innings). Props to the Utes to come back in the 9th and tie it up. But it's gonna be a long season for these boys. They might even make the 2009 Ducks (4-23 in conference) look good. Okay, that might be hitting a little bit low (I think that's called hypobole), but you get my drift. Both teams committed 3 errors, and that's about as much as I want to report about this game.

Utah loses series 1-3. (1-2, -1)
2/20/2012 8:24:46 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 2

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Connor, that exact same thing happened to me (again) moments ago. (I somehow managed to retrieve my post, though.) It's why I started writing my summaries in another program and pasting them here. Only gonna suffer that a couple times before I learn. The bulletin board software doesn't like it when you leave a topic open for too long.
2/20/2012 8:29:45 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wait. How in the heck is Indiana at Tulane better than Dallas Baptist at Rice Krispies?
2/21/2012 8:55:31 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 2

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 2

This week’s opponents include two from the SEC, two from the Big XII, three Big West foes, a couple of tournaments, and a couple of bottom quintile teams. Much to look forward to.
(The astute among you will recognize that a few of these “series” are four-game affairs, even though I have not noted them as such. Because we got so many errors in last week’s picks, I am hiding that information. If you want to vote on the secret fourth games and you remember how to notate them, go for it. Otherwise, just vote on these as if they were regular three-game series.)

This week's games
    Texas at Stanford
    Oregon at Vanderbilt
    Auburn at Arizona
    Baylor at UCLA
    Oregon State vs. San Diego State, San Diego, Kansas State
    Cal at Long Beach State
    Washington at UC Irvine
    UC Riverside at Arizona State
    Utah vs. Nebraska, Nebraska, UNLV
    Akron at USC
    Nebraska-Omaha at Wazzu

Week 2 Series

• Stanford stays at the top of the list with another home series against a nationally ranked team, this time Texas. The Longhorns are 2-2 after beating a pedestrian Duke squad by a combined total of 11-8 runs. In contrast, Stanford beat Vanderbilt by a combined score of 35-13 over three games. Plus Texas lost a midweek game to UT Arlington. Of the Southland conference. Bevo beware: Stanford feasts on top sirloin.

• It will be interesting to see how the Commodores fare, as Oregon visits Vanderbilt, after the Cardinal spanked Vandy last week. It’s possible that Vanderbilt is not as good as the experts have led us to believe, but I’m leaning toward the idea that Stanford is just all that much better than I had thought. I expect the Commodores will make a comeback. But I’m also thinking the Ducks look a lot better than I would have guessed after their strong offensive showing against Hawaii. Even if Vandy gets beaten again, that would not necessarily mean they are a bad team; it could just mean that both Stanford and Oregon are pretty good.

• Auburn at Arizona is an unknown for me. Auburn dropped two of three to Missouri at home, and Arizona lost to North Dakota State and struggled against a 1-2 Utah Valley. This is supposed to be a top 20 team? Still, one plays up (or down) to one’s competition. Here’s hoping the Wildcats improve.

• Baylor takes on a confused UCLA. After dropping two of three to ACC bottom-dweller Maryland, the Bruins bounced back and bashed CSUN 19-7 Tuesday. But Baylor comes in with a 4-0 record including a sweep of Oral Roberts and a Tuesday win over #14 TCU.

• Oregon State stays in SoCal to play a tournament against San Diego State, San Diego, and Kansas State. (Warmup game versus Pacific on Thursday does not count in this prediction thread.) All three teams look vulnerable, but anything can happen in a tournament, especially if you are the team that the others are looking to knock off.

• Cal visits Long Beach in the first of three Pac-12/BWC matchups. The Dirtbags came back from a season opening loss to take the next two from visiting Virginia Commonwealth, a sub-200 ISR team. Expect Cal to practically duplicate last week’s performance against Pacific.

• Surprise 2-1 team Washington takes on nationally ranked UC Irvine. The Anteaters have three uninspiring wins against three bottom quintile teams (really, really low quality opponents) and one loss at the hands of UNLV. I think UW has a good chance to make a statement.

• UC Riverside travels to Tempe to be ASU’s next, albeit higher profile, sacrificial victim. The Highlanders suffered 2 losses to the WCC’s newest member, BYU, then dispatched SDSU Tuesday. They are much better than WMU, but I think ASU still scores 30 runs.

• Utah plays in the Kleberg Bank College Classic in Corpus Christi, Texas, taking on Nebraska twice (led by new coach and former Angel shortstop, Nebraska alum and North Dakota native Darrin Erstad), and UNLV. Nebraska lost three straight in Peoria, AZ last week to WCC stalwart Gonzaga. UNLV is 2-2 after going 1-2 against WCC’s LMU, but upset victors in a midweek contest against UC Irvine. (Side note: The WCC did pretty well opening weekend, with every team except San Diego winning their series.)

• The way USC swept Jacksonville last week, you have to think Akron (0-3 after losing to Elon and App State twice) is going to look like Western Michigan did against ASU. Trojans 7-0 to start the season?

• If you’re Washington State and you want to get a team to come to Pullman in February, you probably have to ask some cold-weather school looking for a relatively warm place to thaw out, which explains Nebraska-Omaha visiting the Palouse this weekend. UNO is making its transition to Division I and is participating as an independent in baseball this year before becoming a full member of the Summit League next academic year. After a very good showing against nationally ranked Miss State last week, Wazzu is a strong favorite to sweep the Mavericks.

The reminders:
  • Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations whenever possible. (Again, helps me. ;-)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
  • Points are awarded in the following manner:
    Pick . . Result . . Pts.
    3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . 6
    . . . . . 2-1 . . . . 3
    . . . . . 1-2 . . . . 1
    . . . . . 0-3 . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . 3
    . . . . . 2-1 . . . . 4
    . . . . . 1-2 . . . . 2
    . . . . . 0-3 . . . . 1

edited by Dodger Matt on 2/22/2012
2/22/2012 8:10:50 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
paintitblack wrote:
For those of you who take the home field into consideration, a correction-----Cal visits LBSU.

Oops. Fixtit.
2/23/2012 6:46:20 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:

UTAH 1-2 (DM..How are ya gonna score a [losing] multi opponent prediction?)

I figured I wouldn't bother providing details on how to make predictions using abbreviations for noncon foes because it would be too confusing and people would just botch it terribly, so I have left everyone to his own devices, and it has worked pretty well. The inside scoop, however, is that I have to run these in alphanumeric order for Excel's VLOOKUP function to work properly, so for all of our nonconference opponents, their names have to start with something after "WSU". So Texas becomes "XT", UCI becomes "YUCI, Akron becomes "Zak", etc.

Aren't ya glad I didn't bother?

BeaverBob wrote:

[font=Helvetica, arial]OSU 3-1[/font]

Bob, I need a 2-1 or 3-0 score; today's Pacific victory doesn't count.
2/23/2012 7:00:10 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
My picks:

Stan 2-1
Ore 2-1
Ariz 2-1
XB (Baylor) 2-1
OSU 3-0
Cal 3-0
UW 2-1
ASU 3-0
ZN (Nebraska/Nebraska/UNLV) 2-1
USC 3-0
WSU 3-0

Still a couple voters from last week who haven't posted yet (nobody new), so I'll probably do pick analysis tomorrow when I get home from work.
2/23/2012 7:32:17 PM
Topic:
WCC

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
This one has me scratching my head. St. Mary and BYU played a conference game today. They've opened up conference play on the second week of the season. There's not another WCC game scheduled until the fourth weekend of March. ONly thing I can think of is they had too many scheduling issues with BYU coming into the conference so suddenly and this was the only time they could pair these two teams. Still it is odd to see.

BTW, the WCC has four undefeated teams, and, not counting today's SMC/BYU matchup, the conference is 25-7 (.781). In terms of other western conferences, the Pac-12 is 31-12 (.721), and the Big West is 17-18 (.486).
2/23/2012 8:28:31 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Tul 2-1
Stan 2-1
Cal 3-0
CSF 2-1
Bay 2-1
2/23/2012 11:32:41 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pick analysis

6 of 11 Pac-12 teams get unanimous nods to win their series this weekend. And 7 overall are picked to win.
  • Arizona State and USC are the top picks: 13/0 with 11 sweeps each.
  • Wazzu comes third with a 13/0 vote with 9 sweeps.
  • Oregon State is fourth with a 13/0 vote and 6 sweeps.
  • Stanford and Cal are next with equal 13/0 votes and 5 sweeps.
  • Arizona is the last team to get the thumbs-up for the series: 10/3 with one sweep.
The rest of the teams are picked to lose their series.
  • Despite being at home and being nationally ranked, UCLA is our ironic underdog against Baylor, 5/8 with no sweeps.
  • Oregon and Washington are true underdogs who have a chance. Voters picked them 4/9, favoring Vanderbilt and UC Irvine respectively.
  • After a poor performance against a subpar team last week, Utah garners the least confidence, getting a 3/10 vote.
2/24/2012 5:19:28 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Islander, that's pretty good. Maybe I will post the abbrevs next week. And you made your picks under the wire. Do you have a team? Or are you an unaffiliated fan?

Bob, thanks for the link. I came home expecting to find the Duck game on 1360, but no.
2/24/2012 10:09:02 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Bruins and Beavers are trying to see who can do worse tonight. I give the edge in that category to Oregon State. At least UCLA is playing a good team.

Oh, we just surrendered run 15 to the Aztecs, We beat you, MostUnknown.
2/25/2012 12:19:51 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

Three impressive wins at the top of the list followed by two embarrassing blowouts. Also a good win by the Huskies.
  • Stanford 7, Texas 2: Stanford almost tripped against Pacific in a midweek game, but they saved some fuel to start today’s game by burning the Longhorns for five runs in the first two innnings. In the 8th, Appel gave up a leadoff single and a wild pitch and was lifted for AJ Vanegas, who let that runner plus another to score after giving up a single, HBP, double, and two walks before being substituted by FR David Schmidt, who induced a ground out to get out of the bases loaded jam. Appel finished with 7 IP, 10 Ks, 3 hits, and 1 run (earned). Stanford had 12 hits, led by Brian Ragira: 3 for 5, 3 RBIs.
    Stanford leads series 1-0.

• Oregon 4, Vanderbilt 2: Vanderbilt got on the board first, scoring twice in the 3rd on three singles, a double, and a wild pitch. But the Ducks scratched single runs over the next four innings to take game one 4-2. Oregon got a strong 7-inning performance from RHP Alex Keudell, who scattered 5 hits and allowed two earned runs for his second win of the season. Jimmie Sherfy, last week’s Pac-12 pitcher of the week, pitched the final 2 innings for his second save, facing six batters and striking out two. Vanderbilt’s starter, Kevin Ziomek, though he allowed no earned runs, lasted only 4.2 innings and did not figure in the decision. Brian Miller, who relieved Ziomek and pitched 2.1 innings, took the loss. Aaron Jones, one of five Ducks with a hit, had 2 RBIs, a double, and a sac fly. Brett Thomas was 1 for 1, an RBI pinch hit. #16 Vanderbilt is 1-4 so far, with all four defeats at the hands of Pac-12 foes and their lone win against Oakland (Michigan) of the Summit League.
    Oregon leads series 1-0.

• Arizona 8, Auburn 1: Arizona jumped on Auburn starter Derek Varnadore for 5 runs in the 2nd on three singles, a balk, a sac fly, a 2-run homer by Alex Mejia, and a Robert Refsnyder triple. The Wildcats stamped Varnadore with 7 runs (all earned) over 6 innings. Kurt Heyer pitched 7 for the Cats and gave up one run (unearned). Mejia finished 3 for 5 with a homer and 4 RBIs.
    Arizona leads series 1-0.

• Baylor 15, UCLA 2. Adam Plutko allowed three earned runs in the 3rd and 2 more in the 4th, lasting only 3.1 innings, and took the loss. Baylor took a 6-2 lead and added 8 runs to it in the 7th on a double, walk, single, walk, 2-run double, single, another 2-run double, walk, and a third 2-run double. The Bears outhit the Bruins 18 to 7.
    Baylor leads series 1-0.

• San Diego State 18, Oregon State 2: The game did not start well for OSU’s Cole Baylis. He hit the first batter, then surrendered two singles and a double, and was down 4-0 before the Beavers recorded an out. In the 2nd, Baylis loaded the bases with three walks, but was able to get a called strike three for the third out to avoid further damage. The Beavs got one in the 3rd, and SDSU starting pitcher Travis Pitcher (It’s the eponymy, stupid!) loaded the bases in the 4th with one out, but the Beavs couldn’t capitalize. They loaded the bags with one out again in the 5th and again came up empty. In the bottom of the 5th, Baylis loaded the bags with two singles and a hit batsman, then a bases-clearing one-out, 3-run double by Jomel Torres, and the Aztecs took an 8-1 lead and sent Baylis to the showers. The Aztecs blew it open with 7 in the 7th and tacked on 2 in the 8th.
    Oregon State trails series 0-1.

• Long Beach State 7, California 4: Justin Jones only lasted 3 innings tonight, walking 3 and giving up 4 earned runs, and the Dirtbags led 5-2 after five. Danny Oh hit a two-out two-run homer in the 6th to make it 5-4. But Lng Beach erased that with two single runs in the 6th and 7th. Tony Renda and Vince Bruno went 2 for 3 with an RBI apiece for the Bears.
    Long Beach leads series 1-0.

• Washington 3, UC Irvine 0: JR RHP Aaron West pitched shutout baseball for 6 innings, giving up 3 hits, and the UW bullpen held the Anteaters in check for the remaining three innings as the Huskies shut out #21 UC Overrated in the series opener. FR SS Erik Forgione was 3 for 4 with 1 RBI for the Huskies. UW outhit UCI 11 to 4.
    Washington leads series 1-0.

• Arizona State 11, UC Riverside 3: The Devils banged out four runs in the 1st as the first five batter hit safely: a single, double, single, Joey DeMichele 2-run triple, and a single. Brady Rodgers pitched 7.0, scattering 5 hits and striking out 9 while allowing no runs. The Highlanders got on the board in the 8th with 2, but it was too little too late. ASU had 14 hits, led by Abe Ruiz, who was 3 for 4 with a homer and 4 RBIs.
    Arizona State leads series 1-0.

• Nebraska 5, Utah 2: The Cornhuskers broke a scoreless tie in the 4th, scoring 4 on Utah starter Zach Adams, who couldn’t get an out in the inning. Thanks to the Utes, Nebraska is no longer winless. They play UNLV and the Huskers again tomorrow in a double-header, then a fourth game (not counted in this series) against host Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
    Utah trails series 0-1.

• USC 12, Akron 1: SR RHP Andrew Triggs scattered 4 hits over 8.0 innings and allowed one run (earned) to beat the Akron Zips by a lopsided 12-1 score. Matt Foat was 2 for 4 with 4 RBIs a homer, and 3 runs for the Trojans.
    USC leads series 1-0.

• Game 1: Washington State 13, Nebraska-Omaha 4: Wazzu had two 5-run innings, opening the 1st with five and adding to an 8-1 lead with 5 in the 7th. UNO starter Matt Lew could not get the third out in the 1st and was gone. JD Leckenby pitched 5 innings for the win.
  • Game 2: Washington State 12, Nebraska-Omaha 6: In the nightcap, the Cougs edged the Mavericks in hits, 12 to 11, but managed to beat UNO by 6 runs anyway. Wazzu starter and winning pitcher Scott Simon went 6.2 IP, allowing 8 hits and 6 earned runs. For the Cougs, Kyle Johnson went 2 for 5 with a triple, 4 RBIs, and a stolen base. PJ Jones was 2 for 3 with a double and 3 RBIs. The Cougars finished the day with both 25 hits and 25 runs in the two games.
    Washington State leads series 2-0.
2/25/2012 2:09:03 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Didn't we see this game yesterday?
2/25/2012 2:13:55 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
That San Diego announcer has already reached the annoying stage. Could someone please get him a peanut butter sandwich?
2/25/2012 9:40:47 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two

Great performances by Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, and Cal. Arizona did well in the first of their two games, and Washington played very well, though came up short. An expected blowout by USC, and a totally unexpected second-day-in-a-row embarrassment by Oregon State. Oh yeah. Almost forgot Utah. Actually, I did.

• Stanford 6, Texas 2: Stanford scored 2 in the 2nd on two doubles and a sac fly against Texas starter JR LHP Hoby Milner. They scored 3 more in the 5th on a leadoff homer from Austin Wilson, and doubles by Jake Stewart and Kenny Diekroger, who led the Cardinal, going 3 for 3 with 2 RBIs. Brett Mooneyham pitched 8 full innings, allowing 3 hits and 1 earned run.
    Stanford leads series 2-0.

• Oregon 4, Vanderbilt 2: Vanderbilt scored one in the 1st on a couple of walks and a single, and it looked like a control game for the first three innings. In the top of the 4th, however, JR LHP Sam Selman lost the strike zone, walked four batters, threw a wild pitch, balked a run in, then gave up a double-steal, and an RBI single before being replaced, leaving behind a 4-1 Duck lead. Oregon added single runs in the 5th, 7th, and 8th. Starter Jake Reed pitched 6 innings for the win. FR Scott Heineman led the Ducks at the plate, going 1 for 3 with 2 RBIs.
    Oregon leads series 2-0.

• Game one: Arizona 15, Auburn 4: The Cats scored between 2 and 5 runs in four innings and led the Tigers 7-1 after three and 10-2 after four. They scored another 5 in the 8th to make it 15-2. Konnor Wade went 6.2 IP with 7 hits, 2 runs (1 earned) and 10 strikeouts to get the win. Riley Moore and Alex Mejia had 3 hits and 3 RBIs apiece for Arizona.

Game two: Auburn 8, Arizona 3: The nightcap was all Auburn. They scored twice in each of the first two innings and had an 8-0 lead before Arizona got on the board with a 3-run 7th. Not a particularly well played game, by the looks of the box score, with 5 Auburn errors and 3 by the Cats. Auburn outhit Arizona 14 to 7. James Farris,3.1 IP, 7 hits, 5 runs (all earned), took the loss for Arizona.
    Arizona wins series 2-1.

• UCLA 9, Baylor 3: The Bruins came out swinging today, leading off the 1st with a couple of singles and scoring three runs on a 2 RBI Jeff Gelalich homer. Baylor scored two in the 4th to tie it 3-3. In the 6th, UCLA plated 5 on a single, a couple of bunt singles, a double, sac fly, and a passed ball. The Bruins tacked on another run the next inning on a double by Beau Amaral, who finished 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs. Gelalich (2 for 3) and Cody Keefer (0 for 3) also had 2 RBIs. Rubber game tomorrow.
    Series tied 1-1.

• San Diego 13, Oregon State 2: SO RHP Dan Child almost matched Cole Baylis’s horrible start from yesterday’s game, but he only managed to give up 3 runs and a single, single, and double to open the game, then a strikeout and a 2-run single. Child lasted 3.1 IP, yielding 7 hits and 5 runs (4 earned). The Beavers improved on yesterday’s performance, only getting whacked, spanked, embarrassed, and beaten by 11 runs instead of 16 runs. Jake Rodriguez and Michael Conforto each had three hits for the bumbling Beavs.
    Oregon State trails series 0-2.

• Long Beach State 1, California 2 (10 innings): In the Battle of the Matts, Cal’s Matt Flemer traded zeros on the scoreboard with Long Beach’s Matt Anderson for five and half innings, until Long Beach scratched an unearned run in the bottom of the 6th. Cal evened it with a double and a single in the top of the 7th. Vince Bruno led off the 10th for Cal with a truple and was sac flied home by Chad Bunting for the winning score. Bruno also had a double. A great performance by Flemer--7.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 run (unearned)--who did not figure in the decision.
    Series tied 1-1.

• UC Irvine 8, Washington 7: The Huskies scored three in the 4th to jump ahead 3-2, but the Anteaters tied it in the 6th 4-4 and added four runs in the 7th for an 8-4 lead. FR first baseman Trevor Mitsui blasted a three-run homer in the 8th off closer Philip Ferragamo to make it 8-7, but Ferragamo got the Huskies in order in the top of the 9th to seal the victory for UC Irvine. Mitsui and Caleb Brown both had 2 hits and 3 RBIs for the Huskies.
    Series tied 1-1.

• Arizona State 11, UC Riverside 3: Riverside never trailed in this game, leading 2-0 from the 3rd and 3-1 after 6. FR RHP Darin Gillies, who started the game and only pitched 2.1 IP and gave up only 2 runs, took the loss. Deven Marrero was 2 for 4, and Joey DeMichele was 1 for 3 with 1 RBI for ASU.
    Series tied 1-1.

• Game one: UNLV 9, Utah 2: The Rebels outhit the Utes 19 to 9. Utah’s Joe Pond lasted 3.2 innings, yielding 10 hits and 6 runs (5 earned).

Game two: Nebraska 15, Utah 0: The Huskers outhit the Utes 18 to 2. Utah’s Ben Mordini lasted 3.0 innings, yielding 4 hits, 3 walks, 3 hit batsmen, and 8 runs (all earned).
    Utah is swept 0-3.

• USC 10, Akron 2: SR RHP Ben Mount scattered 7 hits and allowed 2 ERs as the Trojans once again outmuscled the Zips. FR CF Garrett Stubbs had the most RBIs for the Trojans (2) but no hits. Kevin Swick was 3 for 4 with 1 RBI.
    USC leads series 2-0.

• Washington State, Nebraska-Omaha: Postponed due to inclement weather. That means it’s around 34°F right now and they’re predicting snow. Tomorrow could be a degree warmer, but still there might be snow. In contrast, Omaha today also has 34°F, but it’s totally sunny and tomorrow should be 52°F.
2/26/2012 8:44:55 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three

Undeniably good weekends for Stanford, Oregon, Washington, USC, and Wazzu; decent weekends for UCLA, ASU, and Arizona; and disappointing results for OSU, Cal, and that red-capped stepchild that nobody follows.
  • Stanford 15, Texas 1: This looked like a close game when the Longhorns toed it 1-1 in the top of the 4th. Then Stanford scored 13 runs in the bottom of the 4th. Texas starter John Curtiss loaded the bases with no outs and was relieved. Rickey Jacquez hit a batter to score the first run of the inning then gave up a 2-run single and reloaded the bags without registering a single out. parker French came in and was rudely greeted with a 2-run double then, finally, got the ninth batter of the inning to ground out. Kenny Diekroeger, who led off the inning, then grounded out, knocking in the 6th run of the inning and registering the second out. French then yielded a double, triple, single, HBP, and a walk before being replaced by Dillon Peters, the fourth Texas pitcher of the inning, to face a bases loaded situation again. Peters hit his first batter, to bring in the tenth run of the inning, then gave up a 2-run single to Stephen Piscotty. Brian Ragira then came up and made his second out in the same inning. In that inning, eighteen batters came to the plate; there were nine hits; Piscotty had a single, a double, and 4 RBIs; Brian Ragira was the only one on the Cardinal lineup not to reach base safely; two batters got RBIs for being hit by a pitch. In the game, Piscotty was 2 for 5 wit 4 RBIs, Eric Smith 2 for 4 with 3 RBIs, and Diekroeger 3 for 5 with 2 RBIs.
    Stanford sweeps series 3-0.

• Oregon 7, Vanderbilt 6: Oregon jumped on Vanderbilt starter Drew VerHagen for 2 runs in the 1st and another in the 2nd and chased him after 1.2 IP. The Commodores edged ahead of the Ducks 4-3 in the 4th and led 5-3 heading into the 6th. That’s when Oregon unleashed a 4-run rally on two singles, HBP, wild pitch, single, and Aaron Jones’s 2-run double. But the Commodores would not go quietly. In the bottom of the 9th, down by 2, Mike Yastrzemski (the great Carl’s grandson) led off with a double. Yaz advanced to third and scored on a wild pitch. And with runners at the corners and two outs, Jimmie Sherfy struck out Tony Kemp to seal the Pac-12’s second consecutive weekend sweep of Vanderbilt. Aaron Payne led the Ducks at the plate: 3 for 4, 2 runs, 1 RBI, 1 SB.
    Oregon sweeps series 3-0.

• UCLA 8, Baylor 6: This game went back and for the for the first four innings, with Baylor scoring 2 in the odd frame and UCLA matching them in the even frames.Baylor scored one in the 5th that UCLA did not answer, then tacked on another in 8th to lead 6-4. Faced with losing a second home series in as many weeks, the Bruins unleashed their inner bear and scored four runs on three singles and back-to-back doubles. SO SS Pat Valaika led the Bruins, going 3 for 4 with 4 RBIs.
    UCLA wins series 2-1.

• Oregon State 13, Kansas State 5: The Beavers avoid a sweep, but even a great day like this doesn’t take the bitter taste of two consecutive blowout losses to lesser teams. Nonetheless, some good things to be happy about today. The Beavers pulled their bats out of the equipment bag today, starting with Jake Rodriguez’s one-out solo homer in the top of the 2nd. OSU scored three more in the inning, on a walk, single, sac bunt, and two more singles. OSU added two in the 3rd on a 2-run homer by Michael Conforto, who has shown good consistency at the plate. FR RHP Riley Wilkerson had a much better start than his last two teammates did, keeping Kansas State off the board the first two innings. But as soon as he got into trouble, in the 3rd, Coach Yeskie wasted no time pulling him. Matt Boyd replaced him for 4.2 innings and got the win. Leading 7-4 after five, the Beavers broke out with 6 runs in the 6th, highlighted by a grand slam by Danny Hayes, OSU’s third quad of the day. Tyler Smith was 3 for 5 with 1 RBI; Danny Hayes was 1 for 3 with 4 RBIs.
    Oregon State loses series 1-2.

• Long Beach State 2, California 1: Ryan Strufing pitched 8 full innings of five-hit ball, giving up 1 earned run to earn the win. SO LHP Michael Theofanopoulos pitched 7 innings for Cal and took the loss, though he allowed only two hits and two earned runs.
    Long Beach wins series 2-1.

• Washington 4, UC Irvine 3: What a great series for the Huskies. Not only did they take two of three from SDSU last week, they take two of three from nationally ranked UC Irvine on the road with today’s victory. This team has turned the corner in many ways. Austin Voth gave up all three runs on 6 hits over 5 innings and earned the win. The Huskies scored all four of their runs in the 4th, highlighted by a 2-run homer by FR 2b Robert Pehl. Then they held on to win. The Anteaters outhit UW 10 to 6, and no Husky had more than one hit.
    Washington wins series 2-1.

• Arizona State 11, UC Riverside 2: The Sun Devils avenged their loss yesterday with a continuation of the thumpin’. They scored 11 runs on 15 hits. Joey DeMichele led the Devils with a 3 for 4, 4 RBI effort.
    Arizona State wins series 2-1.

• Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 7, Utah 5: The Utes fell behind 5-0 after two and came as close as 5-3 after scoring three in the 5th. They even had a late rally, scoring 2 in the 9th. But they go 0-4 this weekend and fall to 1-7 on the year, with the lone win against a terrible UC Davis team.
    Utah is swept 0-3 (-1).

• USC 9, Akron 5: The Zips had the Trojans against the ropes after 1 and a half with a 3-0 lead. But that didn’t stop USC from scoring 6 in the bottom of the 2nd, highlighted by Alex Sherrod’s (2 for 5, 4 RBIs) two-out grand slam. USC is one of two undefeated Pac-12 teams: Both the Trojans and Stanford are 7-0.
    USC sweeps series 3-0.

• Washington State, Nebraska-Omaha: Suspended until tomorrow due to snow. (Wha’d I tell ya?) Wazzu up 5-0 in the 5th. Supposed to play a double-header. We’ll see if one is shortened or canceled.
    Wazzu wins series 3-0, +1.
2/26/2012 9:06:54 PM
Topic:
Oregon may cut baseball? Your thoughts

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
My thoughts? I think you should put down the bong. Baseball isn't even mentioned in that article, and the university would hardly cut the program after the investment they've just made, reinstating it, hiring an expensive championship-winning coach, building a multimillion dollar stadium. Hoops is sucking for the Ducks, not baseball. Few colleges make money on the diamond, but it is not a huge vacuum for Oregon. And guess what? We're in the middle of an Obama recession that won't improve until after he is kicked out of office. My guess is next year around this time, when more people start working and they can afford a few overpriced tickets to basketball games in Eugene, there will be no more talk about dropping baseball at U of O.
2/26/2012 9:19:20 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I don’t usually post scores before all the games are finished, but I’m fairly confident Wazzu will finish that snow-delayed game with a W, and it won’t change the order of the participants, only the scores, if they don’t. (BTW, not that series summary under Wazzu is premature, but I won't change it until tomorrow, and then only if I have to.) So here goes:
  • 42.0 CaughtBySparky
  • 37.0 BeaverBeliever20
  • 37.0 OpihiMan
  • 36.0 Dodger Matt
  • 35.0 Florida Beaver
  • 34.0 ConnorOSU
  • 34.0 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 33.0 borgguy
  • 33.0 MostUnknown
  • 31.0 ASU74
  • 31.0 BeaverBob
  • 31.0 WildCard85
  • 30.0 RiverDuck
  • 27.0 Islander
The first two weeks are won by Devil fans.
One note on CaughtBySparky's win: That Utah sweep was huge. He was the only one to predict it, and he won 6 pts from it. Still would have won nit without that, but his score this week was quite a bit above the next person's. Good job, CBS.
2/27/2012 6:53:48 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day four
No change to yesterday’s prediction.
  • Washington State 7-5, Nebraska-Omaha 1-3: Wazzu now 5-2.
    Wazzu wins series 3-0, +1.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121