Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Dodger Matt - all messages by user

2/12/2012 6:32:04 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 1 (plus overview BONUS!)

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
2012 Season Preview and Week 1 Preview

Since I am coming at this a little late, I’m streamlining. Here’s a brief conference preview followed by a look at this week’s games. For more detailed conference reviews, see Kendall’s topic on this site or Stitchhead’s preview (http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegebaseballtoday/2012/02/06/2012-preview-the-pac-12).

Preseason Quick Preview
I wasn’t going to do a top-to-bottom prediction, but what the heck, here goes:
  • 1 Stanford
  • 2 Oregon State
  • 3 Arizona State
  • 4 Arizona
  • 5 UCLA
  • 6 Oregon
  • 7 Cal
  • 8 USC
  • 9 Wazzu
  • 10 Utah
  • 11 Washington
  • 12 Colorado

I'd say the top tier will be OSU, ASU, and Stanford. Stanford starts with a beastly OOC schedule that will test them early, but all the experts say they look to be the Pac-12’s best team. I think the Pac-12 crown could be decided when the Cardinal come to Corvallis the first weekend of May. OSU lost some key battery players, but also have some quality replacements, especially on the mound. Look for Adam Duke, Jace Fry, and Dylan Davis to make a big impact this year. Forget sanctions. USC had them in football, and they still beat the Ducks and should have played for the Pac-12 title. ASU baseball will be the same.

In the second tier, I'd place Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal. The Bruins have a decent team returning, but I think Cole and Bauer were far more responsible for last season's overall success that their absence this year will be noticeable. Cal's dream postseason exceeded even their expectations. They could contend, but I don't think it will be obvious what their potential will be out of the gate. I've been predicting good results from Arizona for the last three years, and this year looks like more of the same. Eric Sorenson locks them in at #2 this year (and OSU at #6), but he also predicted an 8th place finish for the Beavers last year, and they were #1 going into the last game of the regular season. Arizona visits Corvallis on the second week of conference play. If they win that series, then Sorenson may have it right; if the Beavers win it, the Wildcats are going to be in the 4th to 6th range.

Oregon had a disappointing 2011, but the humility I heard in Horton's voice at the end of the season greatly impressed me in a way that led me to believe he is settling in in the Pacific Northwest and will improve this year. When they restarted their baseball program, I said it would take them four or five years to get good, and when they experienced second season success, that it was a premature aberration that could harm the team and the fans with unrealistic expectations. Well, year 3 of the Horton Ducks was a downer (Q: How do you get downer from a duck?), but I think they are ready to turn the corner. (It doesn't hurt that there are also lesser teams in the league...

And that brings us to the third tier: USC, Wazzu, Utah, and UW. I like what USC's Frank Cruz did last year, and I only see them improving, albeit in baby steps. Wazzu severely disappointed last year, and they lost most of their best players. Utah will have some success, but I think they will be overwhelmed by the competition in their new league. The Huskies, although they will continue to improve under Coach Meggs, will fight to stay out of the cellar.

Week 1 Series
Stanford opens the season with four brutal OOC series, against Vanderbilt, Texas, @Fresno State, and Rice. Vandy at Sunken Diamond highlights this week’s series (as Stanford’s next three series probably will as well). Vandy hosts Oregon next week, so we should have a pretty good feel for how Pac-12 and SEC compare later in the season through the Commodores’ games against the Cardinal and Ducks.

Oregon makes another visit to Oahu to take on the Warriors in another four-game set. This should be an evenly matched series, as the two teams finished with nearly identical records last year (UO’s 33 wins to Hawaii’s 34).

OSU takes on UCSB and the Gauchos’ new head coach, former Beaver pitcher and Duck pitching coach Andrew Checketts. Expect the Beavers to take advantage of a .500 team (2011) under a new coach, but also look for some unpredictability as Coach Casey throws some of those young untested arms out there.

Maryland looks like an upset over UCLA waiting to happen. Granted the Terrapins are not a good team; but UCLA has some question marks in my mind and could overlook their opening weekend opponent. Even with the loss of their dual aces from last year, the Bruins should manhandle Maryland. But....

In any of the last four years, a Wazzu trip to SEC land would be a major series to look forward to, but the Cougars this year look weaker than any Wazzu team over that period, even last year’s disappointing 26-28 squad. Mississippi State has not been as good the last couple years either, but at a preseason #34, they’ll still have quite an edge over the Cougars. Plus they’ll be playing in front of a home crowd that might look like double the entire population of Pullman to the Coug squad. Wazzu should be content with a single win or a couple of close games.

The Atlantic Sun’s Jacksonville had a better record (37-24) last year than the Trojans (25-31), but their SOS (124) was quite a bit lower than USC’s (4), so they were ranked a dozen ISR slots lower than USC. That said, this should be a pretty good series. Expect continued improvement from the Trojans up until their signature series against the Tar Heels in week 3.

If you look at last year’s ISRs for Washington and SD State (SDSU four spots higher than UW), this looks like another close matchup on paper. Despite the fact that UW had the poorer record (17-37 vs. 22-36), this series could set the tone for the Huskies. A surprising series win might signal that UW’s recent changes have moved the program in the right direction. A series loss could mean another long season for the Huskies, or at least the need to still rebuild.

Cal gets to practice on the Pacific Tigers to open the season. I know they went to Omaha last year and everyone is predicting great things this year for them. I’m not on that bandwagon. If they don’t make Pacific look like last year’s 17-37 team by sweeping them at home, let’s hold off on claiming top-tier status for the Bears.

UC Davis was a pretty good team not too long ago, but they finished 18 games under .500 last year (18-36) and will probably get spanked by Pac-12 newcomer Utah.

That brings us to the two slaughter series. The desert boys of Arizona State and Arizona invite the near-Canadians of Western Michigan and North Dakota State to thaw for a few days before they get barbecued and devoured. WMU finished 2011 with an ISR of #192; NDSU finished #241. (Side note: NDSU won last year’s Division 1 FCS national championship.)

Eleven series, wow. This illustrates the difficulty of tracking and scoring these nonconference weeks. Note that three of these series are four-game affairs; for scoring purposes, the fourth game does not count. Although you are welcome to speculate on the fourth game, be sure to call your three-game predictions for scoring purposes.

Also note that these preseason affairs will be for “fun” as I am not entirely sure I will even be tabulating scores. It takes some time doing all the setup, and, well...we’ll see....

The reminders:
  • Vote for the team you expect to win and whether the results will be 3-0 or 2-1.
  • Pick teams in the exact order posted. This makes it easier for me to tabulate.
  • Use the team abbreviations whenever possible. (Again, helps me. ;-)
  • You can change your picks up until first pitch of the first game.
  • There are no prizes. We play for glory.
  • Points are awarded in the following manner:

Pick . . Result . . Pts.
3-0 . . . 3-0 . . . . 6
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . 3
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . 1
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . 0

2-1 . . . 3-0 . . . . 3
. . . . . . 2-1 . . . . 4
. . . . . . 1-2 . . . . 2
. . . . . . 0-3 . . . . 1

This week's games
  • #11 Vanderbilt at #4 Stanford
  • Oregon at Hawaii (4)
  • #22 Oregon State at UC Santa Barbara (4)
  • Maryland at #20 UCLA
  • Washington State at #34 Mississippi State
  • Jacksonville at Southern California
  • Washington at San Diego State
  • Pacific at California
  • Utah at UC Davis (4)
  • Western Michigan at #15 Arizona State
  • North Dakota State at #18 Arizona
2/14/2012 10:51:16 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
OpihiMan wrote:
FYI...Utah, Oregon, Oregon State are all 4 game series...may want to adjust some of your picks (some of you)

Opihi, you are right, of course, but unfortunately, you are wrong too. My instruction (as I feared) got a little hidden in that dissertation. But tracking and scoring 4-game series doesn't work for my system, so I only count the FIRST THREE GAMES.

This is how we should probably do them henceforth:
  • OSU 2-1 +1
  • OSU 2-1 -1
  • OSU 3-0 +1
  • OSU 3-0 -1
It doesn't matter if you pick a team to go 4-0, but that is the only scenario. If you think a team playing a 4-game series is going to lose one game, you need to specify whether it is (or isn't) the fourth game. Otherwise, I have to assume you got it WRONG.
2/14/2012 11:03:09 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 1

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Good luck, Connor.
  • Stan 2-1
  • OU 3-0
  • FLA 3-0
  • TCU 2-1
  • UCLA 2-1
2/16/2012 7:52:12 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wha-ppened to thorgreen's picks? Did he morph into RiverDuck?

I have everyone entered. Only TWO problems: BeaverBeliever20 and FullertonBaseballFan, you need to give me 2-1 or 3-0 picks for the four-game series.
2/16/2012 8:02:19 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 1

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
weg313 wrote:
How the heck is Maryland vs. UCLA and Oklahoma vs. Pepperdine better opening series than #36 Florida Internation (FIU) vs. #4 Rice?

Just like Walt. Doesn't bother to participate; just scans for disses of Rice and makes a curmudgeonly Andy Rooney comment. I can see his response now to a topic on favorite cereals and crackers: "How the heck can you guys think Frosted Flakes and saltines are better than Rice Krispies and Graham crackers?"
2/16/2012 8:37:40 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
You picked differently too. I'll kill the thorgreen picks. (Hmm, and I thought there were two Duck baseball fans. Oh well....)
2/17/2012 11:21:41 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
My picks (Pac-12 heavy):

Stan 2-1
Ore 2-1 -1
OSU 3-0 -1
UCLA 3-0
MSU 2-1
USC 2-1
UW 2-1
Cal 3-0
Utah 2-1 +1
ASU 3-0
Ariz 3-0

I'll wait a bit for FullertonBaseballFan and BeaverBeliever20 to fix their 4-game picks before giving a prediction analysis.
2/17/2012 1:36:45 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Omaha, give me these red ones as your picks for the FIRST THREE GAMES ONLY.

omaharocks wrote:
Vandy 1-2
Hawaii 2-2
Oregon st 3-1
ucla 2-1
m State 2-1
Jacksonville 2-1
sd state 2-1
cal 2-1
uc davis 3-1
asu 3-0
ariz 3-0
2/17/2012 2:25:07 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pick analysis

The Copper State schools top the list week, and the Evergreen State schools mirror them at the bottom.
  • Arizona and Arizona State are the easy favorites, sharing 14/0 votes to win their series and 13 sweeps.
  • Next is Cal, also a 14/0 pick to win with 9 sweeps.
  • UCLA and (probably) Oregon State come next, also both picked to win 14/0. UCLA has 7 sweeps and OSU has 6 (perhaps 7 or 8).
  • Stanford is the sixth team all voters think will win their series (3 sweeps).
  • USC is a 13/1 pick to win, with 5 sweeps.
  • Utah was picked 9/4 to win with 2 sweeps. One 2-1 voter thinks they will lose their fourth game, and a couple uncounted votes bring the split total to three.
Only three Pac-12 teams were predicted to be on the losing end this weekend:
  • Oregon was voted 3/8 on the losing end, with one of those three “wins” and three ambiguous/uncounted votes predicting a 2-2 split with Hawaii.
  • Washington and Washington State were picked equal 2/12 losers.
2/17/2012 2:45:19 PM
Topic:
PG Opening Day Blog

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Top 25 upsets (ACC)

Kent State upends Georgia Tech in a 5-0 4-hit shutout. And as Kendall blogged, Virginia loses to BC 5-3.
2/17/2012 5:39:27 PM
Topic:
PG Opening Day Blog

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
What's up with the ACC already? Three top 25 upsets on opening day. And UNC is down 2-0 to Xavier in the 4th in their second game today.
2/17/2012 10:23:49 PM
Topic:
PG Opening Day Blog

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
pebert wrote:
Conrad Gregor is a breast....

Although I enjoyed your analysis, you shouldn't be calling players boobs. What would your mother say?
2/18/2012 12:48:22 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

• Stanford 8, Vanderbilt 3: Nobody should have been surprised by Mark Appel’s performance: 7 IP, 2 hits, 1 ER. But Stanford’s bats seemed to rip whatever arm Vandy put on the mound. Eight players had a hit, five had multiple hits, and the team notched 14 hits overall and scored in all but two innings. Brian Ragira led the Cardinal, going 3 for 4 with 2 RBIs and a stolen base.
    Stanford leads series 1-0.

• Hawaii 4, Oregon 1: Senior hurler Matt Sisto kept the Ducks off the board for seven innings, limiting Oregon batters to 2 hits and 2 walks. Oregon’s Alex Keudell only gave up one (unearned) run over 4 IP, but that was enough to suffer the loss. Down 4-0 in the 9th, the Ducks rapped four consecutive singles, two by pinch hitters, to erase the shutout. FR Thomas Walker had 2 hits for the Ducks while Billy Flamion had a pinch hit and Oregon’s sole RBI.
    Hawaii leads series 1-0.

• Oregon State 7, UCSB 3: Ben Wetzler went 5.1 IP, yielding 6 hits and 3 earned runs. The Beavers scored all seven runs on Gaucho starter Matt Vedo, but only two of the runs were earned. Redshirt Senior John Tommasini, who sat out all of last year with an injury, led the Beavs at the plate, despite batting in the 9 hole. Tommasini went 2 for 5 with a double and 2 RBIs. Also of note on the injury rehab trail: Taylor Starr made his first appearance in almost three seasons, throwing 12 pitches and allowing one hit while recording one out. Starr's last appearance saw him strike out two in one inning at Tennessee in 2009.
    Oregon State leads series 1-0.

• Maryland 2, UCLA 1: It looks like I jinxed the Bruins with my talk of an upset. Sophomore Brady Kirkpatrick, Maryland’s starting pitcher (from Marist High School in Eugene, Oregon), went toe to toe with UCLA’s Adam Plutko, allowing only one (unearned) run and 6 hits over 5.1 IP. Plutko went 7 innings and yielded 5 hits and no runs. Neither starter figured in the decision. Down 1-0, the Terps loaded the bases off Bruin closer Scott Griggs with an HBP, E5 on a sac bunt attempt, and a walk. With one out, Griggs hit another batter to tie the game. Griggs threw out a runner at home on a comebacker, then walked in the go-ahead run. Jimmy Reed pitched the bottom of the 9th for the save.
    Maryland leads series 1-0.

• Mississippi State 6, Washington State 2: JD Leckenby last four innings for the Cougs, giving up 5 earned runs. MSU pounded out 13 hits, and five Bulldogs had at least two, led by 3B Daryl Norris, who went 3 for 4 with 1 RBI.
    Mississippi State leads series 1-0.

• USC 8, Jacksonville 2: The first half of this game was fairly even, with a couple lead changes and USC leading 4-2 after six. Then the Trojans broke out for four runs in the 7th to take an 8-2 lead. Andrew Triggs gave up 5 hits and 2 ERs over 6 IP. Adam Landecker led the Trojans, going 3 for 3 with a walk and 2 runs. (Interesting name: Reliever Nigel Nootbaar of the Trojans. I think nootbaar is Afrikaans for almond joy.)
    USC leads series 1-0.

• Washington 7, San Diego State 4: The Aztecs scored two in the 4th and led 3-1 after seven innings. But the Huskies scored four runs in the top of the 8th to take a 5-3 lead. SDSU got one back in the bottom half, but UW scored twice again the 9th, the first when Jayce Ray scored from third on an errant throw during a rundown after a missed squeeze bunt attempt. Freshman 1B Branden Berry, who is from San Diego, led the Huskies in his first collegiate game, going 4 for 4. Mac Acker faced one batter for the Huskies and got the W.
    Washington leads series 1-0.

California 9, Pacific 1: Justin Jones pitched 5.0 innings, striking out 6 of the 21 batters he faced. Eight of the Bears had at least one hit, including Chad Bunting, who had two doubles and scored both times.
    California leads series 1-0.

• UC Davis 3, Utah 0: Senior Dayne Quist pitched 6 innings of 3-hit ball and the Aggies blanked the Utes in their Pac-12 season debut. Zach Adams gave up one run over 5 IP for the loss. Senior SS James Brooks, an Australian, led the Utes at the plate, going 3 for 4. But he got no help as only two other teammates got a single hit.
    UC Davis leads series 1-0.

• Arizona State 10, Western Michigan 0: Brady Rogers allowed 4 hits over 6 IP and struck out 7 as the Devils trounced the Western Michigan Broncos. Abe Ruiz had a monster night at the plate for ASU: 3 for 4, 2 HRs, 6 RBIs, 3 runs. WMU’s Zach Thoma went 3 for 3.
    Arizona State leads series 1-0.

• Arizona 3, North Dakota State 1: The Wildcats scored 3 runs in the first on NDSU RHP John Straka, and the rout looked like it was on. But Straka settled down and allowed only two more hits and no runs in the remaining 4 innings he pitched. The Bison scratched a run in the 6th on a walk, single, and sac fly, and made a respectable game of it. NDSU had 6 hits, led by SS Max Casper, who went 2 for 4 with a triple. Arizona had 7 hits, four of them from Johnny Field (4 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 run, 1 triple, 2 doubles). Kurt Heyer pitched 7 innings for the win.
    Arizona leads series 1-0.
2/19/2012 12:59:33 AM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day two
  • Stanford 9, Vanderbilt 5: Brett Mooneyham pitched 6 innings, yielding 5 hits (including a two-run homer by Connor Harrell), 4 walks, and 3 ERs. And the Cardinal batters ripped another Vanderbilt starter, saddling Tyler Beede with 9 hits and 9 ERs over 4.1 innings. Catcher Eric Smith led Stanford, going 2 for 5 with 2 RBIs. Connor Harell had a 2 for 4, 4 RBI, 2-homer day for the Dores.
    Stanford leads series 2-0.

• Oregon 3, Hawaii 2 (12 innings): Hawaii struck first, scoring 2 in the bottom of the 3rd on two singles and three infield errors. Oregon tied it in the 6th on two singles and Brett Hambright’s 2 RBI double. And that’s where the score stayed for the next 5-plus innings. In the top of the 12th, Aaron Payne took matters into his own hands by hitting a one-out double off RHP Patrick O’Rourke, stealing third, and scoring on a wild pitch. In the bottom of the 12th, Duck pitcher Jimmie Sherfy struck out the first and third batters he faced, but he also walked two and gave up a single. With a full count, two out, and the bases loaded, Sherfy got Kaeo Aliviado to strike out and preserve the win for the Ducks. Oregon outhit Hawaii, 13 to 7. Aaron Payne led the Ducks with a 4 for 5 performance. Game ended at 11:57pm PT.
    Series tied 1-1.

• Game 1: Oregon State 3, UCSB 2 (8 innings): In what was supposed to be a 7-inning opener of a double-header, the Beavers and Gauchos found themselves tied at two after seven and had to go an “extra” inning. In truth, the Gauchos outplayed the Beavers in this game, rapping out 9 hits to OSU’s 4, including a solo homer by DH Joe Wallace to tie the game in the 5th, and striking out 11 compared to OSU’s 4--to use a couple of stats. OSU had one run taken off the board in the 6th after runners at the corners were advanced by a balk that was then reversed. Tony Bryant pitched 1.1 innings for the win.

Game 2: Oregon State 12, UCSB 12: Not a particularly well-played game by either team, but entertaining. The teams combined for 23 runs, 24 hits, and 7 errors. SO RHP Dan Child pitched 6 innings and surrendered 9 hits and 8 runs, though only one was earned as the Beavers, uncharacteristically, committed 4 errors. (UCSB committed 3.) Down 8-3 after five innings, Oregon State scored four in the 7th and 3 in the 8th to take a 10-8 lead. Santa Barbara came back and scored three of their own, highlighted by a 2 RBI triple by Brett Vertigan, to retake the lead at 11-10. In the top of the 9th, the Beavers got a single, a walk, and a 2-run double by Danny Hayes to swap the lead again, 12-11 Beavers. Tony Bryant was two strikes away from his second win of the day, but Ryan Palermo blasted an 0-1 pitch over the left field wall to tie it again at 12. Called on account of darkness, this game will be finished tomorrow morning, followed by the bonus fourth game.
    Oregon State leads series 2-0.

• UCLA 6, Maryland 5: The Bruins held off Maryland today, though it was close again. Leading 5-1 after four, Nick Vander Tuig, UCLA’s late reliever/closer last year, surrendered 4 runs in the 5th on two singles, a walk, a sac fly, and a 3-run homer by 1B Tim Kiene. But the Bruins scratched one back in the bottom of the 5th and held on for the win. Burned last night, the UCLA bullpen allowed no hits and only one runner (a walk) over the final four innings. Cody Keefer went 3 for 4 with one RBI for the Bruins.
    Series tied 1-1.

• Washington State/Mississippi State: Postponed due to rain. The teams will play a DH Sunday. First game starts at 11:30am PT.
    Mississippi State leads series 1-0.

• USC 11, Jacksonville 3: Ben Mount pitched 6 innings, allowing one earned run and three hits, and left the game with a 3-1 lead. The Dolphins tied it in the 7th to erase Mount from a decision, but the Trojans sent 12 men to the plate and tacked on 8 runs in the bottom of the 7th to retake the lead in a big way, with 4 walks, a hit batsman, 4 singles, and a double. Brandon Garcia led the Trojans, going 2 for 4 with 3 RBIs, one walk, one run, and one homer.
    USC leads series 2-0.

• Washington 12, San Diego State 9: The Aztecs were down 5-1 heading into their half of the 6th when they scored 4 to even it up. Down again 8-5 in the 8th, they again tied it with 3 runs. But they couldn’t overcome a third deficit as the Huskies scored four in the top of the 9th. Freshman and San Diego native Branden Berry, who went 4 for 4 yesterday in his college debut, hit his first homer in the 9th, a two-run shot, to cap the Dawgs’ scoring. SDSU scored a run in their half of the frame on back-to-back doubles, but their comeback magic had run dry. For the Huskies, Joe Meggs finished 3 for 6 with 1 RBI and Berry was 2 for 6 with 2 RBIs.
    Washington leads series 2-0.

• California 6, Pacific 3: Matt Flemer went a full 8 innings for Cal, scattering 8 hits and 3 ERs to earn the win. Cal’s Tony Renda finished 3 for 5. This game was played in Stockton; the final game will return to Evans Diamond.
    California leads series 2-0.

• Utah 7, UC Davis 1: Utah RHP Joe Pond pitched 6 full innings and gave up one ER, scattering 7 hits. Utah 1B Ethan Leiter was 1 for 4 with a 3-run homer in the 2nd.
    Series tied 1-1.

• Arizona State 13, Western Michigan 0: After burning through their aces and losing the first two games 10-0 and 13-0, WMU will probably not have the pitching left on Sunday to keep ASU from scoring 20 runs. Michael Benjamin led ASU at the plate, going 2 for 4 with 4 RBIs and one homer. Close behind him were Beau Maggi (3 for 5, 2 RBIs) and Andrew Aplin (2 for 2, 2 RBIs, 1 HR).
    Arizona State leads series 2-0.

• North Dakota State 8, Arizona 2: Upset of the day! North Dakota State’s Luke Anderson held the Wildcats to two hits and two runs over 7 full innings and gave the Bison a chance. That chance came up big in the 8th when the Arizona bullpen wasted Konner Wade’s strong effort (7.1 IP, 2 ER, 13 K, 2 H) by surrendering 6 earned runs, and the Bison upended the Wildcats for their first-ever win over a ranked Division I team. Kyle Kleinendorst led the Bison, going 1 for 3 with 2 runs, 3 RBIs, a homer (his first at the collegiate level), and a walk.
    Series tied 1-1.

edited by Dodger Matt on 2/19/2012
2/19/2012 6:31:35 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Oops! Yes, fixed that AZ score. Sorry.

Opihi, where are you streaming it free? I was going to ask you too about the Ducks. Actually the Rainbow fans. Sounds like they are rocking the place, though their team is down by double digits. Are they usually that raucous and supportive?
2/19/2012 7:19:31 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Just waiting for the finale to the Wazzu Miss State to post summaries and scores.

Anyone interested in providing a week one assessment of the Pac? Or of your favorite team?
2/19/2012 8:08:43 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day three
  • Stanford 18, Vanderbilt 4: “Finally!” the Commodores probably thought to themselves, after scoring 4 runs in the 2nd against Stanford starter AJ Vanegas, who lasted only 1.2 innings. Then Stanford came to the plate and doubled Vanderbilt’s score, painting an 8 on the scoreboard. Granted, only two of those runs were earned, as the Commodores committed three errors in the inning. But the Cardinal had another huge inning the 6th, adding 7 runs and making this look like an ASU/Western Michigan game. In that inning, Stephen Piscotty hit a no-out grand slam, then the Cardinal started a two-out rally with a walk, HBP, 2-run double, and RBI single. Piscotty had a huge day: 2 for 5, 2 runs, 7 RBIs, 1 HR. Christian Griffiths was not bad either: 3 for 4, 3 runs, 4 RBIs.
    Stanford sweeps series 3-0.

• Oregon 14, Hawaii 5: The Ducks swung the bats today, taking a 2-0 lead in the 1st then a 10-0 lead after 14 batters scored 8 in the 4th on seven hits, capped by a two-out home run by Kyle Garlick. JJ Altobelli and Aaron Jones led the Ducks going 3 for 6 with 2 RBIs apiece.
    Oregon wins series 2-1.Bonus game tomorrow.

• Game 1: UCSB 13, Oregon State 12 (12 innings): Completion of yesterday’s suspended game. In the top of the 12th, the Beavers got back-to-back two-out singles, but they couldn’t push one across the plate. In the bottom half, Taylor Starr induced a ground out, then hit a batter and gave up back-to-back singles, the second by Brett Vertigan to knock in the winning run. Vertigan finished 5 for 7 with 4 RBIs; Ryan Palermo was 4 for 6 with 1 RBI a 4 runs for the Gauchos. Dylan Davis was 4 for 6 and Ryan Barnes 3 for 6 for the Beavers.

• Game 2: Oregon State 8, UCSB 6. The Gauchos jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the 3rd on Brett Vertigan’s RBI triple. Vertigan scored a few pitches later on a wild pitch. The Beavers added a crooked number of their own with a five-run 6th, capped by FR Michael Conforto’s 3-run blast. There were some more interesting calls by the umpire crew, including a Gaucho flyout to center that was called back because somebody (not one of the umps, apparently) had called time out. With a second shot, the Gaucho batter was able to drive a run in. Matt Boyd pitched 1.1 IP for the win. Conforto finished 2 for 4 with 1 run and 4 RBIs.
    Oregon State wins series 2-1 (+1).

• Maryland 5, UCLA 1 (8 innings): Maryland scored an unearned run in each of the first three innings, on two dropped fly balls by 2B and CF, and a E4 throwing error. So much for UCLA’s strength up the middle. Not that it would have changed the outcome if they had made those plays. But this series--a substandard ACC team taking two from a ranked Pac-12 team in their own “crib”--should give UCLA backers pause. Maryland’s Brett Harman got the win, going 5.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 8 strikeouts. Game shortened because of a travel curfew.
    Maryland wins series 2-1.

• Game 1: Washington State 6, Mississippi State 5 (13 innings): The Cougars scored in three of the first four innings and led 4-11 until MSU inched back and evened the game at 4 in the 6th. And that’s where the score remained until, the 13th inning. In the 13th, Wazzu loaded the bases with two walks and a single. Then SR Tommy Richards, from Bend, Oregon, singled down the LF line, driving in two. The Bulldogs started off the bottom half with a single and a double, and scored one with a groundout, but Wazzu’s redshirt freshman Scott Simon was able to induce two more groundouts to seal the victory. Tommy Richards finished 3 for 5 with 2 runs, 2 RBIs, a walk, and a stolen base.

• Game 2: Mississippi State 5, Washington State 4: The Cougs took a 2-0 lead in the 3rd on SO Nate Blackham’s two-run double. MSU got one back in the bottom half on a walk, wild pitch (two bases!), and passed ball. And they tied it in the 6th on a two-out solo shot by DH Trey Porter. Wazzu jumped ahead again in the 8th scoring twice, but they left thee bases loaded with one out when Tommy Richards grounded into a double play. That proved fatal because the Bulldogs scored three in the bottom frame, one of them unearned due to a throwing error. Any hit by Richards or even a ground out that he could have beaten the double-up throw to first on would have netted the Cougs aanother run and they might have pulled off the upset series win. All in all, a surprisingly good showing for a Wazzu club that lost some serious pitching from last year’s team.
    Mississippi State wins series 2-1.

• USC 4, Jacksonville 3: This game was tied 1-1 after two innings, 2-2 after six, and 3-3 after seven. The Trojans scored in the 8th on two errors--which allowed Brandon Garcia to reach third without a hit--and a single. SO 3B Kevin Swick was 2 for 2 with 1 RBI for the Trojans.
    USC sweeps series 3-0.

• San Diego State 10, Washington 9: The Aztecs salvage a win by coming from behind in the bottom of the 9th. They led 6-2 until UW scored six in the 7th on three singles, three walks, a hit batsman, sac fly, and error. SDSU tied it 8-8 with 2 runs in thee bottom half of the 6th. After the Huskies tripled and scored on a sac fly in the 9th to take a 9-8 lead, the Aztecs opened the bottom half of the 9th with three singles to load the bases, then CF Cody Smith ripped a 2-run double to win it. Jayce Ray went 3 for 5 with an RBI and a run for the Huskies.
    Washington wins series 2-1.

• California 9, Pacific 3: With a run in the top of thee 8th, Pacific tied this game at 3. But Cal scored 6 in the bottom frame to complete the sweep. Catcher Chadd Krist went 3 for 5 with 3 RBIs and aa run for the Bears
    California sweeps series 3-0.

• UC Davis 6, Utah 2: Utah shows that they will be a pretty good series win, perhaps a rare conference sweep, for the rest of the teams in the Pac-12 this year. Go ahead and reverse my preseason picks for Utah and UW finishing 10th and 11th respectively this year.
    UC Davis wins series 2-1. Bonus game tomorrow...if anyone is interested.

• Arizona State 17, Western Michigan 2: Three surprises in this game: WMU actually led for a half-inning, 1-0 after the top of the 2nd; ASU did NOT score 20; and WMU scored again, an EARNED run, in the 8th. ASU’s Max Rossiter finished 4 for 4, with 4 runs, 1 RBI; James McDonald went 3 for 4 with 3 runs and 4 RBIs.
    Arizona State sweeps series 3-0.

• Arizona 8, North Dakota State 0: No series upset for the Bison, but they can hold their heads high after competing with--and sometimes outplaying--the #18 team in the nation for 24 innings. Arizona led today’s game for the first five innings 1-0, then turned on the jets over their final three to tack on 7 more runs, their biggest offensive run of the weekend. It appears NDSU’s bullpen finally ran out of gas. Robert Refsnyder led the Cats, going 4 for 5 with 3 RBIs and 2 runs. Arizona RHP James Farris pitched a complete game 5-hit shutout.
    Arizona wins series 2-1.
2/19/2012 8:17:25 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Scores
  • 40.0 ASU74
  • 40.0 RiverDuck
  • 39.0 Dodger Matt
  • 39.0 Florida Beaver
  • 38.0 BeaverBeliever20
  • 38.0 CaughtBySparky
  • 37.0 WildCard85
  • 36.0 MostUnknown
  • 35.0 BeaverBob
  • 35.0 borgguy
  • 35.0 ConnorOSU
  • 35.0 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 35.0 OpihiMan
  • 34.0 omaharocks
2/19/2012 8:43:55 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Score analysis

These are the picks that most voters got right:
  • The top score was ASU over WMU. 13/14 picked ASU 3-0 for an average score of 5.79. The highest average score we've ever had.
  • 10/14 correctly picked MSU 2-1 over Wazzu for an avg of 3.57.
  • 9/14 picked Cal 3-0 for an avg of 4.93. (Score was higher than MSU pick because it was a sweep...means more points.)
  • Fourth top pick was OSU 2-1 over UCSB: 7/14, avg = 3.50.
The remaining picks were not predicted by a majority:
  • Only 5/14 picked USC to sweep Jacksonville; avg = 3.93.
  • 3/14 picked Stan 3-0 (3.64), Ore 2-1 (2.36), and UC Davis 2-1 (2.29).
These would have to be described as surprises/outliers:
  • 2/14 picked UW 2-1; avg score: 2.29.
  • BeaverBob is the only person to pick Ariz 2-1; avg = 3.07.
  • Nobody picked Maryland 2-1. Lowest score too: 1.50.
2/20/2012 6:41:44 PM
Topic:

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
DM:
GREAT job. When is PG going to put ya on the payroll?

Ha. Kendall's the man; I'm just a fan. My pay is that little thumbs-up icon.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121