Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Carolina Mike - all messages by user

3/23/2011 8:28:16 PM
Topic:
The new bats make the college game much less fun

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I personally love the new bats and think that it gets us back to the original game.The "Gorilla Ball" played for so many years, while fun to watch, is not what the game is supposed to be in my opinion.Besides putting a premium on getting on, getting over, and getting in, the biggest change is that it lets the pitchers use the whole plate as a target.They couldn't do that with the old bats cause the price was too high to pay. I think now pitchers can show their stuff and really be a pitcher in the true sense.
3/23/2011 8:43:52 PM
Topic:
South Carolina @ Florida this weekend...

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I would be glad to win 1 of 3 from the Gators this weekend and would be surprised to win 2. When ya' go to war you gotta have bullets for your gun, right now I think Florida has more bullets than my Gamecocks.Baseball is a funny game though and I am looking forward to the series. Either way it will be a defining measuring stick as to where our strengths and weaknesses are at this point in the year.
3/23/2011 9:02:01 PM
Topic:
SEC Power Rankings Week 5

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
AU Tiger, just wanted to thank you for this weekly update that you have taken the time to do.
I agree with your assessments in both divisions this week with the exception of USC and Vandy for the overall.From what I can gather, I think Vandy's pitching may be stronger than Carolina's at this point simply because we haven't found a solid Sunday starter. Heck, there has even been talk of reliever Matt Price being pushed into a starter's role. It's real hard to keep a reliever in that relief roll when he has 3 solid pitches to pull from.
1. Florida
2.Vanderbilt
3.USC
4.LSU
5.Auburn
6.Georgia
7.Arkansas
8.Alabama
3/23/2011 9:43:10 PM
Topic:
Good job, fans! Spread the word ....

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Kendall wrote:
Not sure what made the light turn on, but the message boards have really really heated up with discussions over the past day ... not sure why it took everyone so long to get in the mix.

Anyway, spread the word to all of your friends ... unlike the former board, this thing is going to be strictly moderated.

Thanks for all the support, folks!

Maybe the weather changed and people started getting out to the games? Either way, I am glad to be here and have enjoyed your product for years Kendall, although a seldom poster on the old site. I like this forum and am looking forward to the rest of this college season. On to Omaha!
3/27/2011 11:00:48 PM
Topic:
What stood out to you the most this weekend?

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Georgia taking 2/3 from LSU
Miss. State sweeps Auburn 3/0
Texas dropping 2/3 to OSU
Clemson losing 2/3 to NC State...wow!
Rice losing 2 of 3 to UCF ?
Coastal losing 2 of 3 to UNC Asheville...WTH?
My Gamecocks taking 2 of 3 from the Gators...nice surprise there.
Cal sweeps WSU...while not a surprise, I love it. I hope Cal ends up in Omaha. Real hard to shut a quality program down when they would be in the Final Eight.
3/27/2011 11:08:02 PM
Topic:
National Player of the Week?

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I don't believe anyone can hold a candle to Moran's stats this week.Those are extraordinary numbers with any bat for that matter.Slg % is off the charts,great job Colin!
3/27/2011 11:32:32 PM
Topic:
SEC POWER RANKINGS-Week 6

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Ill wait on AU Green Monster
3/30/2011 9:32:07 PM
Topic:
SEC Week 6 Power Poll

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
AU I would post mine but I think you nailed it for this past week. I see the exact same at all positions 1-8.
Sorry your Tigers took it on the chin for the series, kinda surprised me to tell the truth.Maybe them guys in Starksville are getting their groove on.
LSU was another surprise as well, but the Jeckyl and Hyde of the SEC is alive and well (Georgia). I have the hindsight of a midweek game, but I thought they were gonna stick it to Clemson last night as well until the 6th. Then all hell broke loose.Sorry for Dave Perno's club in that one.
My Gamecocks could have easily have gone 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 last weekend.That's just how tight that series was.Great baseball none the less.
Vandy continues to pound it out though and I am looking forward to that series.
Great job again this week AU !
edited by Carolina Mike on 3/30/2011
3/30/2011 9:52:51 PM
Topic:
My national seeds/hosts as of right now (3/29)

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Kendall
I agree with everything in the national seeds except Fresno. Just not sure they're there yet. Couple nice wins at Oregon State and Nebraska each but their schedule is real soft imo.The other locations for the other 8 will be changing we all know as the season goes on. I think UNC is a lock at this point for a regional.They are playing really well.Love this conversation this early , it gets the blood flowing, ya' know??????????
3/30/2011 9:56:23 PM
Topic:
PERFECT GAME...

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
If my sources are correct, this was a complete game no hitter with 10 strikeouts? Great job by Will !!
3/30/2011 10:26:13 PM
Topic:
ACC Week 6 Rankings

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Gotta agree with just about everything you wrote above with 1 exception, that being Clemson. Maybe I haven't done my homework and if that is the case, please correct me.
They played 2 series with top 25 programs,Virginia and USC and came out 1-5. Other than that, have they played a top 50 program? With losses to Eastern Michigan and Presbyterian I am stunned with their ISR and RPI. They have a ton of talent on that team imo, and are capable of getting hot at any moment.
4/5/2011 12:32:03 PM
Topic:
PG Top 25: Cowboys, others make moves (4/4)

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
The teams ranked ahead of USM went 56-10 combined for the week. That just doesn't leave a lot of room for the Eagles to advance further in my opinion. If they keep playing like they have, they'll get bumped up in a few weeks I think
4/9/2011 10:57:02 PM
Topic:
Sweep

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Our pitching was pretty dang good this weekend Rooster, but let's hope we start hitting the ball soon. Vandy coming to town and we need to score some runs.
4/9/2011 11:06:05 PM
Topic:
Look for this team to win the NCAA Baseball Champi

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I think the Cardinal has the toughest schedule in the country. Opening with 3 series on the road with Rice, Texas, and Vandy. That's suicide. They still have series with UCLA, Oregon State, ASU ,and Arizona. WOW! That's cause to either look real good or real bad imo.
4/18/2011 6:11:34 AM
Topic:
Who's Next?

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
As far as the pre-season polls go, I thought they were very generous to Carolina.Considering we had to replace a couple of position players and most of our starting rotation, there was no way we should have been" given "a top 10 ranking. Should we be # 1 ? No way imo. To be da' man, you gotta beat da' man, and the man is UVA at this point. I am very pleased with how Carolina has played so far, but baseball is a funny game and has a way of biting you in the ass if you don't bring your very best every day.I'll reserve judgement as to the Gamecocks deserve a # 1 ranking when we have finished the conference schedule. There's way too much ball left to be played.
4/18/2011 6:45:34 PM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: The latest CBB rankings (4/18)

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I see very little difference between S.Carolina and UVA at this point in the season, and believe you could make a coin toss between the two.I have been a great fan of Brian O'Connor and his success in the last 6 or so years at Virginia.Their body of work the last 4 years is as good as any team in the country despite being sent out west several times undeservingly.Danny Hultzen is the best pitcher that I have seen since David Price at Vandy in recent years.Maybe this one is just too close to cal at this point.Congrats to the Virginia program and here's to hopefully meeting deep in the postseason.
edited by Carolina Mike on 4/18/2011
4/23/2011 11:21:04 PM
Topic:
Question about RPI

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
I am also a SEC fan, but absolutely hate the RPI system. The ISR's in my opinion are much more accurate in the long run and are much more rewarding for inter sectional play.While I am a Gamecock and SEC fan, I think the conference would be very lucky to get 8 teams to the show.7 would be more realistic. As long as you are in the top 40 "RPI", you usually have a great shot for the tourney.The rest gets filled in with the conference champs.
4/23/2011 11:31:05 PM
Topic:
What was Friday's biggest surprise?

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
3198 was the official att.I think for the USC-MS State game.What a great fan base and atmosphere the Bulldog fans normally have at Dudy Noble. It is one the top 5 venues normally in all for college baseball.Congrats to the Bulldogs for their win tonite over my Gamecocks. Hope we can get the series win on Sunday.There is some very good talent in Starkville and it showed out of the bullpen tonight.Hope that you guys are patient with the coaching staff as I think they are headed in the right direction.
4/24/2011 4:22:07 PM
Topic:
ANALYSIS: Our college baseball Dream Teams

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
David, you have exceptional foresight. Christian Walker of South Carolina just went 10 for 11 with the recent series with Miss. State. If that's my player and he's riding the bench, then I got one heck of a team.At this point of the season, there is a solid argument for every player that all 3 of you have picked in my opinion. Would loved to have seen Michael Roth of my Gamecocks mentioned for a pitching slot, but again, it's awfully hard to talk down anyone of the guys that you've each picked. Sorry for being a little homerish.
4/24/2011 8:46:02 PM
Topic:
What stood out most over the weekend?

Carolina Mike
Carolina Mike
Natty Champs wrote:
Christian Walker goes 10 for 11 over weekend against Miss St... Jackie Bradley Jr goes down, but Walker fills the void and then some...

Walker reached base safely 15 of 16 times for the weekend.
pages: 1 2 3