Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

EaglehasLanded - all messages by user

3/18/2011 2:04:33 PM
Topic:
CHAT TRANSCRIPT: My weekly chat wrap (3/14)

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall, at this point in the season I would say Tulane has looked the best of any team in the conf. outside of their first weekend. I would put Rice 2nd based on their brutal schedule. I would probably put ECU and Southern Miss as a tie for 3rd with UCF just a bit behind them. UCF looks to have improved this year, but their SOS is not so great (I know it's early and that will change) and until they prove to be better than ECU and Southern Miss, I would have to put them slightly back in the pack.
3/18/2011 2:43:16 PM
Topic:
CHAT TRANSCRIPT: My weekly chat wrap (3/14)

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Good points Kendall. I will be interested to see if C-USA's rpi will be able to hold down the 3-spot throughout the season or if we will drift back to our usual spot at #5.
3/20/2011 3:48:55 PM
Topic:
Hey Kendall...College of Charleston Tournament

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall wrote:
eagleboy415 wrote:
And Southern Miss gets the sweep early this morning. What's your opinion Kendall on where we'll be tomorrow in the rankings and if you see these as solid wins or as overrated teams wins?

Really nice weekend for the Golden Eagles, but if you're a rankings person, you still should have Troy ahead of the Eagles in the pecking order based on what it has done, including a series win over the Eagles. Still, that doesn't diminish what was a fantastic weekend. A big step forward.

Kendall, based on that logic Wake Forest should be ranked ahead of North Carolina, and Toledo and Xavier should be ranked ahead of Louisville. Personally, I have no problem with Troy being ranked or being ranked ahead of Southern Miss. I do believe at some point teams need to be judged (and ranked) based on their performance this season, not their reputation or preseason hype. I do believe that at this point, Troy and Southern Miss should be ranked. Now, they may lose a majority of their games next week and they could drop out, but based on the results so far, they are just as good or better than College of Charleston or UConn and both of those teams are/have been ranked. I'm sure this argument could be made for plenty of teams (East Carolina and Central Florida come to mind). Anyway, that's just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.
3/21/2011 8:17:54 AM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Kendall, that still doesn't explain why both Troy and Southern Miss shouldn't be ranked. What criteria do you use when making your rankings. I realize it is still a few weeks early to use the rpi, but at this point both of those teams are in the Top 15 in rpi, both are in the Top 12 in W-L record and both have SOS inside the Top 70. I'm not saying there aren't teams that may end the season better, but the rankings are a week to week snap shot of who is currently playing the best, not a prediction of how teams will finish the season or how much potential they have.
I really don't understand why C-USA teams get so little respect (yes I know Troy is in the Sunbelt) when C-USA is year in and year out one of the Top 5 baseball conferences, and currently is rated the 3rd best conference. Give any Big 12, Pac 10 or even Big East team(since the media is dead set on them being a contender in baseball) Southern Miss' or Troy's or East Carolina's record and schedule and they would be in the Top 25.
Again, I realize it is early in the season and ranking have nothing to do with regional selections and in the grand scheme of NCAA baseball mean very little, but everyone wants their team to be respected, and I just feel we should have earned some respect over the past decade.
Now, I have been informed by a fellow Southern Miss fan that you laugh us off because we are "too sensitive" about our team. If that is the case, then so be it, but I'd rather state my opinion (and logic) than just sit by and let things go.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 3/21/2011
3/21/2011 9:05:33 AM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
So, what do you use to determine your rankings? And I didn't base that solely on rpi, as I know it is not settle at this poinit in the season, but it does have "some" relevance. I just don't see how one could justify UConn, C of C, Louisville, UCLA, Cal, Coastal Carolina and/or Clemson being ranked over Troy, Southern Miss, or East Carolina. I also realize you don't have all those teams ranked, but all of them show up in one poll or another.
3/28/2011 7:53:07 AM
Topic:
National Player of the Week?

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Southern Miss' Adam Doleac could make a run, although he didn't have the hrs like Moran did this week. I don't have his OB% or Slugging %.
resume:

Tue. vs. ULM - 0-4
Wed. vs. USA - 3-5, 5 RBI, 1 run
Fri. vs. TUL - 2-4, 3 RBI, 1 run
Sat. vs. TUL - 5-6, 2 RBI
Sun. vs. TUL - 2-4, 1 run

Total Week - .521 on 12-23, 10 RBI, 3 runs
3/29/2011 8:37:18 AM
Topic:
Kendall,

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Will you be giving your break down of who you think the 8 national seed and 16 hosts would be as of this week?
4/11/2011 9:54:11 AM
Topic:
Look for this team to win the NCAA Baseball Champi

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
I'm not sure how you can say Stanford has been ignored when many media outlets have or had them in their Top10/15 even when they had a .500 record. I believe they have gotten their due thus far this year.
4/13/2011 12:54:45 PM
Topic:
Lets have some fun! Kendall and whoever else.

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Overrated- definitely Arkansas
4/13/2011 3:18:52 PM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Southern Miss, like most teams, would struggle in the SEC East, but would be a contender in the West this year. Teams have slumps and we had one this past week. Memphis is a dangerous team because they can hit and they run well. Troy is a solid team. At this point you could pull losses out of just about anyone's schedule (outside of a few teams) and find some less than stellar losses. But honestly, Southern Miss only has one bad loss, a mid-week loss to UL-Monroe. The other 7 losses were to teams in the rpi Top 100.
Now, if we don't clean up our fielding then we will lose plenty of games this season.
4/14/2011 8:52:15 AM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Well, Southern Miss isn't a mid-major team so we aren't pulling any cards. Besides Rice has also won the National Championship and they are a member of C-USA.
I can't bellieve you brought up UCONN after saying we were overrated. Talking about an overrated, overhpyed team...
4/14/2011 10:37:06 AM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
We will probably just have to agree to disagree on this thread. On the upside, Kendall's new board has quite a Southern Miss following now.
4/14/2011 1:36:52 PM
Topic:
PG64: NCAA Postseason Projections (4/14) -HAVE Qs?

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Just a few thoughts Kendall:
1) I thought teams were given bids, not conferences. If C-USA has 6 deserving teams, then they should receive 6 bids.

2) You can't use one standard for one team and another standard for another team. You say Wichita St. is better than their rpi, well I would argue that Memphis is also better than their rpi. I would say the Memphis series win for ECU is better than the Wichita St. series win for Tulane.

3) not sure how you can justify Baylor and UCLA in the regional field and not ECU. UCLA has an rpi of 67 and is 8-9 vs. the Top 100 rpi. Baylor has an rpi of 36, and as you stated are 13-12 vs. the Top 100. ECU has an rpi of 26 and is 11-12 vs. the Top 100. Of those I would take ECU and Baylor. UCLA may have some elite pitchers, but they haven't won the games at this point to be included. We will see how they do once they hit the tougher part of their schedule with Arizona, Stanford and Oregon St. coming up.
4/14/2011 1:46:22 PM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
To the poster who used current conf. records to do an analysis: That method makes little sense. It will make more sense at the end of the year. I've already said I don't think Rice, Southern Miss, ECU, etc...would win a weekend series against Vandy, S. Carolina or UF. But neither would most teams in the country. That doesn't make us or C-USA overrated. We aren't claiming to be world beaters, we leave that to you SEC guys. That stat is merely a fact entered as evidence that thus far this season we have held our own against SEC opponents. And gues what, we used our mid-week guys too.

Also, didn't S. Carolina lose a series to Kentucky last year, not exactly the type of loss you would expect from a national champ. caliber team, but it didn't hold them back from taking the title last year.
4/14/2011 2:55:56 PM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
But claiming a Top 6 in the conference at this point is also moot. Besides, it usually the SEC fans who claim their teams are so much better than everyone else's and how their bottom teams could win most other conferences. That's obviously not so.
4/18/2011 9:14:54 AM
Topic:

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
So, our fans aren't allowed to have opinions or disagree with the opinions of others...
4/20/2011 9:11:50 AM
Topic:
Regional Host - Super Regional Host

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
I believe the higher seeded team would host. There may be some exceptions such in cases where the higher seeded team doesn't have the facilities to host.
edited by EaglehasLanded on 4/20/2011
4/20/2011 9:15:38 AM
Topic:
Sunbelt Conference

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
I think Troy takes 2/3. Hope UL-Lafayette finishes strong also.
5/9/2011 11:20:21 AM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: The latest college baseball ranks (5/9)

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
UConn in front of Rice?
5/9/2011 11:28:43 AM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: The latest college baseball ranks (5/9)

EaglehasLanded
EaglehasLanded
Not seeing that. What's your thought process there?
pages: 1 2 3