3/10/2011 3:47:17 PM
Topic:
South Carolina's Ray Tanner addresses Clemson

mcrooster
mcrooster
Heels2Omaha wrote:
Yardcock96 wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:
I find it interesting that Coach Tanner doesn't like to be "called out" yet he found it necessary to release in the media this week that UNC had "refused a challenge" by South Carolina to play a game in 2013. It's pretty hypocritical to do that when they knew full-well that Mike Fox is not going to play any team where one of his former assistant coaches is now coaching. What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander in Columbia.

Hardly the same thing. Where did you see Ray or Chad or Eric Hyman say that UNC "refused a challenge"? Sure, word leaked out this week that UNC declined to play us in 2013 and we would probably be playing NCSU instead. The beat writers that reported it sauced it up and added the refused the challenge stuff and all of that because that is how the majority our fanbase perceives the declining of the invitation. Writers have to make their stories sell. If Ray had gone on record and called out Mike Fox and said he was scared to play us or something like that you would be comparing apples to apples. Jack accused our team of cheating by challenging the bat then refused to comment on why he did it. Then one of Jack's players publicly called out one our of our players by name and said he was soft.

On a side note, I don't believe your explanation on Fox not wanting to play a team with one of his former assistants. For the record, I don't think UNC is scared to play us either. It's politics. The same reason SC for many years refused to play any sports against Coastal after they left the USC system. There is bad blood lingering from the whole ACC era and it's much higher up than Mike Fox. You can't tell me that 2 schools this close together with as much history as they have playing each other have only scheduled a handful of games in all the sports combined since we left UNC's conference and there isn't a larger reason. We played UNC in basketball countless times and how many home and homes have their been since we left the ACC? ZERO. If Dean and Eddie Fogler hadn't had their relationship, we wouldn't have had the neutral site matchups we had in the 90's. I will say that the politics stopping play seem to be more on the UNC end because we do make public the refusals to play us like this one and the one in football, etc. Politics and bad blood on our end I'm sure drive that PR train as well.

I agree that it's not going as far, but the beat writers never would have known unless someone on the South Carolina coaching staff let it be known. They did so knowing full well how it would be interpreted and intended it as a call-out. Was it of the same magnitude? Not even close. It was a call-out though.

I don't think Tanner would say something like that because it would put Chad Holbrook is a tough position. I never saw that quote anywhere. Furthermore, there is no way around the fact that the UNC athletic dept. has basically blackballed USC for decades. It's been near impossible to get games in any major sports - maybe 6-8 regular season football games, 1 regular season game in baseball that I can remember, and none in basketball.
edited by mcrooster on 3/10/2011
3/13/2011 5:29:07 PM
Topic:
Tough day for the Gamecocks...

mcrooster
mcrooster
Tyler Webb has struggled two outings in a row with command and control. His walks scored today and ended up being the difference in the loss to Cal State - Bakersfield. My guess is that Roth, Neff, and Westmoreland start against Georgia next week. Georgia looked horrible until this weekend but they has a great trip to the west coast. I don't think beating SoCal and St. Mary's is any great feat, but beating UCLA is great and it's all on the road, which is key.
3/14/2011 1:53:58 PM
Topic:
What's the story on Gardner-Webb and St. Johns?

mcrooster
mcrooster
I saw that they canceled Sunday's game because of some brawling that went into the stands on Saturday. Does anyone have any details? Kendall?
3/21/2011 2:10:57 PM
Topic:
South Carolina @ Florida this weekend...

mcrooster
mcrooster
What does everybody think about this series? Florida's pitching is filthy good but I like the Gamecocks chances to win a game or two. I expect a 2-1 series. It's tough enough to sweep anyone, let alone a team as good as Florida or South Carolina. The Gamecocks pitchers only allowed 9 hits in the two wins over Georgia on Saturday and Sunday. Jackie Bradley Jr. went hitless for the entire weekend. That's either a really bad sign for the Gamecocks or the Gators. I guess we'll find out this weekend.
3/21/2011 2:12:32 PM
Topic:
What was the weekend's biggest surprise?

mcrooster
mcrooster
I was also very disappointed in C of C this weekend. Hopefully they won't wake up in Columbia tomorrow night against the Gamecocks.
3/25/2011 9:49:33 PM
Topic:

mcrooster
mcrooster
Great night for the Gamecocks tonight. Michael Roth was outstanding again and the Gamecocks played errorless ball and picked up 9 runs. Split the next two and win the series, Gamecocks.
3/26/2011 8:21:55 AM
Topic:

mcrooster
mcrooster
If Neff comes out like he did last Saturday against Georgia, it should be a tight one tonight in Gainesville. He's around 90 with nasty stuff but he's had command issues during his career. Last week he was awesome and he'll need to be again tonight if we're going to clinch the series.
3/26/2011 8:23:34 AM
Topic:
What was Friday's big surprise?

mcrooster
mcrooster
I thought Clemson was going to be very good this season but so far they seem firmly entrenched in the middle of the pack -whipping the bottom feeders and losing to good teams and good pitchers.
3/26/2011 8:31:46 AM
Topic:
UGA Baseball Program

mcrooster
mcrooster
I watched UGA last weekend in Columbia and I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt they get an A++ on the eye test but they just don't produce. Davidson, Hester, and Cone are beasts and I'd take Cone on my team right now, but they just don't produce much. They look like big leaguers but they sure don't play like them. That being said, I was very impressed with Palazzone on Saturday. He pounded the zone all day and could've easily thrown a shutout. Carolina got the equalizer with 2 outs in the 8th. Wood was awesome last weekend as well. Davidson looks like a 20 year old Adam Dunn but let's just say he's got a ways to go. The Gamecocks won that series without playing good defense or swinging the bats at all. I don't see a good season in Athens.
4/7/2011 9:20:33 PM
Topic:
Gamecocks shut out Vols...

mcrooster
mcrooster
Michael Roth was awesome again. Outstanding defense and some timely hitting. Nothing flashy but another win. I'll take it.
4/8/2011 1:45:46 PM
Topic:
Gamecocks shut out Vols...

mcrooster
mcrooster
Let me add that i really enjoyed the ESPN HD telecast. I think Kyle Peterson is excellent at college baseball and Dave Neal does a good job as well. I was worried ESPN might stick their pro leftovers in the booth and the pro guys like Orel and Nomar were horrible in Omaha.
4/9/2011 10:04:04 PM
Topic:
Sweep

mcrooster
mcrooster
The Gamecocks finished off the sweep of the Vols today, giving up one run in 27 innings, and that was a guy who walked, was bunted to third, and scored on a ground out. Monumentally good pitching this weekend.
4/18/2011 12:24:50 PM
Topic:
Pitcher of the Year so far?

mcrooster
mcrooster
I posted these numbers over on the Gamecock rivals board this weekend but I'm curious what others think. I don't know if you can argue that anyone is better than Jungmann and Hultzen, in terms of talent and draft position, although Pope and Bauer might be right there with them. However, I would argue that Michael Roth would be the pitcher of the year at this point based on his overall numbers and the fact that he totally confounded two #1 teams in the last 3 weeks.

Who did I leave out that deserves to be on the list? What do you think?

Michael Roth - USC 8-1 1.25

Taylor Jungmann - Texas 8-0 1.10

Sonny Gray - Vandy 7-2 1.54
Grayson Garvin - Vandy 6-1 2.04

Houston Randall - FLA 6-1 1.56
Karsten Whitson - FLA 4-0 2.38

Gerrit Cole - UCLA 4-3 1.74
Trevor Bauer - UCLA 6-1 1.67
Adam Plutko - UCLA 2-3 1.87

Noe Ramirez - CSF 6-2 2.04

Danny Hultzen - UVA 8-0 1.33

Kyle Winkler - TCU 6-1 1.26
Matt Purke - TCU 4-1 1.47

John Stilson - A&M 3-1 1.46

Mark Pope - GT 8-1 1.16

Michael Rocha - Okla 7-1 1.02
4/22/2011 9:43:52 PM
Topic:
ANALYSIS: Our college baseball Dream Teams

mcrooster
mcrooster
Kendall I appreciate your choices but the other guys are reaching. Why would they decide to make Sonny Gray the closer on their dream teams? That just means they were too gutless to pick him as a starter.
4/28/2011 8:35:43 PM
Topic:
Who is having the best year with the stick?

mcrooster
mcrooster
I decided to ask because I think Christian Walker is perhaps the best overall hitter in the country. Coming into the year I think I would've argued that Jackie Bradley was as good as anyone, but he was having a tough time for much of the season. Anthony Rendon would've gotten some votes, and he's had a good year, but not great. Jeremy Baltz tore up the Big East as a freshman but he's suffered through a sophomore slump this year - again, good but not great.

I decided to look at the guys with the best numbers in major conferences to see if I could make my argument for Walker on the basis of the statistics.

Walker is hitting .374/58 H/12 doubles/9 HR/43 RBI/1.092 OBS

CJ Cron - Utah (not a power conference but you can't ignore these numbers) .463/62 H/9 HR/43 RBI/1.343 OBS
Brad Miller - Clemson .431/45 H/2 HR/ 31 RBI/1.13 OBS - but he has missed some games
Jarrod Parks - Miss State .409/54 H/11 doubles/2 HR/ 30 RBI/1.116 OBS
Joey Rikard - Arizona .404/65 H/10 doubles/2 HR/24 RBI (what?)/.966 OBS
Garrett Buechele - Oklahoma .395/68 H/7 HR/51 RBI/1.212 OBS
Andrew Rash - Va Tech .365/52 H/16 doubles/16 HR!!!/44 RBI/1.239 OBS
Colin Moran - UNC .348/56 H/12 doubles/7 HR/54 RBI/1.032 OBS
Anthony Rendon - Rice .350/50 H/13 doubles/4 HR/24 RBI(????)/1.104 OBS

Without going back and checking to see if each guy has faced the team with the best pitching in his conference, I can only guess that Walker, Parks, Beuchele, and Rikard have put up their numbers against the best arms. Cron has probably faced the weakest pitching but he's mashing the ball regardless. Rash's power numbers are even better than most sluggers is conferences with crap pitching. He is putting up Georgia Southern and College of Charleston power numbers in the ACC. That is sick.

I still like Walker, but that comes from the benefit of watching him play every night. He just destroys the ball when he hits it. He hits screamers all over the park and as the weather continues to warm up - watch out for his power.

Who do you think is the best? Somebody from this list or did I leave the best off the list?
4/28/2011 8:40:53 PM
Topic:
***WEEKEND SERIES PREDICTIONS (4/28)***

mcrooster
mcrooster
24 Auburn at 1 South Carolina -- SOUTH CAROLINA 3-0
16 Oklahoma at 6 Texas -- TEXAS 2-1
Mississippi at 4 Florida -- FLORIDA 3-0
22 Stanford at 10 Arizona State -- STANFORD 2-1
8 Florida State at 14 Miami -- MIAMI 2-1
7 Oregon State at 23 UCLA -- OREGON STATE 2-1
9 Georgia Tech at Clemson -- GA TECH 3-0
25 Arkansas at Georgia -- ARKANSAS 2-1
UC Irvine at Cal State Bakersfield -- BAKERSFIELD 2-1
18 Southern Miss at East Carolina -- SOUTHERN MISS 2-1
Kansas State at 20 Oklahoma State -- OKLAHOMA STATE 2-1
19 Troy at Florida Atlantic -- TROY 3-0
Hawaii at Fresno State -- HAWAII 2-1
UAB at Tulane -- TULANE 2-1
Houston at UCF -- UCF 2-1
4/28/2011 8:43:27 PM
Topic:
Gamecock's JBJ likely done for the year

mcrooster
mcrooster
JBJ is likely done. That being said, he has a remarkably fast recovery time in most cases. It wouldn't surprise me to see him make it all the way back if USC can extend it's season to Omaha. However, don't think for a minute there won't be messages getting to him from MLB teams telling him to slow it down and not do anything stupid.
5/1/2011 7:16:41 PM
Topic:
SEC big 3 continue to roll...

mcrooster
mcrooster
It's getting ridiculous. The Cocks need to win 2 or 3 in Oxford next weekend to hold serve until Vandy and Florida face off the following weekend.
5/4/2011 7:29:49 PM
Topic:
You need one pitcher, one hitter .......

mcrooster
mcrooster
I think I'll take Danny Hultzen and Christian Walker.
5/29/2011 12:15:56 PM
Topic:
SEC Tournament...

mcrooster
mcrooster
I really wish they would change things up. Attendance looked pretty weak to me on every game I saw on TV. I think Hoover is played out, especially in a year where the folks in northern Alabama have more important things on their mind and LSU didn't make the field.

I wish the SEC would scrap the tournament altogether and play a SEC World Series that matches up the #1 seed/winner from each division. You could rotate the host from East to West in alternate years.

Or...find a new location. I'm griped about this plenty but I think there are so many other interesting potential host sites. Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Memphis, Chattanooga, Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, New Orleans, Mobile, Pensacola, Atlanta, Jackson/Pearl, etc. Why not move things around. I understand the single-site plan in some cases, but Hoover ain't Omaha.
pages: 1 2