ASU74
ARK 2-0
A & M 2-0
ARIZ 2-0
GT 2-0
PURDUE 2-0
3/26/2012 3:25:22 PM
Topic:
Pac 12 Player & Pitcher of the Week (Week 6)

ASU74
ASU74
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — UCLA junior center fielder Beau Amaral has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week and ARIZONA STATE junior right-handed pitcher Brady Rodgers has been named Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for March 19-25, Commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday.

Amaral went 7-for-10 (.700) with two doubles, one homer, six runs and three RBI in UCLA’s two wins versus Washington State over the weekend. He went 2-for-4 with one three-run homer and three runs in UCLA’s 12-3 victory on Friday. Amaral tallied a career-high five hits in a 5-for-6 effort with two doubles and three runs in the Bruins’ 12-3 win on Saturday. Amaral enters Monday’s contest against Washington State with a .322 batting average.

This is Amaral’s first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the 54th all-time selection for UCLA. It’s also the third Player of the Week selection for the Bruins this season, with Jeff Gelalich winning the honor on Feb. 28 and March 13.

Rodgers threw a one-run complete game in a 5-1 win over California on Friday night. Although he allowed eight hits through nine innings, he was able to continuously get out of innings unscathed. He recorded six strikeouts, giving him 39 on the season, and just one walk while improving to 4-0 on the season.

This is Rodgers’ third career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week selection and ASU’s 60th all-time selection. The junior has received the weekly honor all three years as a Sun Devil.

Also Nominated (Player): Andrew Aplin, ASU; Aaron Jones, ORE; Parker Morin, UTAH.

Also Nominated (Pitcher): Alex Keudell, ORE; Adam Plutko, UCLA; Kesley Kondo, UTAH; Tyler Davis, WASH.
3/27/2012 6:54:08 AM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 6

ASU74
ASU74
Dodger Matt wrote:
Week 6 scores

First-timer Rowdy (with no declared Pac-12 team affiliation) tops the list this week, getting all six series correct.
  • 26.0 Rowdy
  • 24.0 ASU74
  • 23.0 borgguy
  • 23.0 WildCard85
  • 22.0 MostUnknown
  • 22.0 TempeJim
  • 21.0 BeaverBeliever20
  • 21.0 ConnorOSU
  • 21.0 FullertonBaseballFan
  • 20.0 Dodger Matt
  • 19.0 BeaverBob
  • 19.0 CaughtBySparky
  • 18.0 Florida Beaver
  • 18.0 OpihiMan
  • 17.0 RiverDuck

DM: Great synopsis. Many thanks for your time & thoughts.
Rowdy: Perfect Weekend!! Cograds. What a dubut.
3/28/2012 7:33:40 AM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 7

ASU74
ASU74
STAN 2-1
OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
WSU 2-1
UCLA 3-0
TEXAS 2-1
edited by ASU74 on 3/28/2012
edited by ASU74 on 3/29/2012
3/29/2012 1:49:49 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 7

ASU74
ASU74
FL 3-0
STAN 2-1
ARK 2-1
KENTUCKY 2-1
ASU 2-1

Visiting teams will prevail this weekboink
3/29/2012 3:21:06 PM
Topic:
No more Love at ASU for Lisa

ASU74
ASU74
Michael Crow finally admitted the mistake that was Lisa Love.

Not that the former athletic director didn't have her strengths. They just weren't in the areas her school needed the most. She didn't talk like a football fan. She didn't speak their language. She didn't seem comfortable in front of the media. She hired search firms to find coaching candidates. Fair or otherwise, it created a perception that she was a puppet hire for the school president.

Like most people who lose their job at ASU, Love will be targeted and blamed in the coming days. Some of it will be deserved. Her handling of Dennis Erickson's dismissal - staging interviews in small groups, in a small office - marked the end of her credibility with ASU fans. That was a moment that demanded strong leadership, someone to stand in front of the community, projecting strength and vision.

Then again, maybe she knew her days were numbered.

Either way, this is a good day for ASU. Steve Patterson is smooth, stylish and personable. He'll be part of the Todd Graham renaissance, a head coach who is wowing boosters and fans alike with breathtaking rhetoric. It will be interesting what the new athletic director thinks of Herb Sendek, and if the ASU head coach suddenly becomes more visible in the public.

And don't think for a moment that Greg Byrne's performance in Tucson didn't raise the stakes for everyone, showing Crow what a dynamic athletic director can accomplish with the two revenue-producing sports.

#############################################

ASU President Michael Crow appointed Steve Patterson, hired last summer as Chief Operating Officer of Sun Devil Athletics and Managing Director of the Sun Devil Sports Group, as Love's replacement. Once the Arizona Board of Regents approves the move, he will become ASU's fourth athletic director in the past 16 years.

"Both Lisa and I know this is a tough assignment," Crow said. "We've run this path about as hard as we can run it. She's going to move on to something else, and I'm going to be very supportive. We're moving forward with Steve."

Sources told The Republic that Crow met with Love on Tuesday and relieved her of her duties. The university announced Patterson, 54, as athletic director at a news conference Wednesday morning, issuing a release that Love is leaving ASU to pursue other opportunities.

"At the end of the day, the only person responsible for who sits in the athletics-director position on any given day of the week is me, so it's ultimately my decision,'' Crow said.

Love's dismissal simply is the latest step in what has become an overhaul of ASU's athletic department, most of the change stemming from the program's top revenue-producing sports. In 2009, baseball coach Pat Murphy was fired amid an NCAA investigation over rules violations, one that will keep the Sun Devils from competing in the postseason this year.

Four months ago, football coach Dennis Erickson was fired after failing to win the Pac-12 South Division, a goal Crow said the administration fully expected ASU to capture. Although the Sun Devils participated in a bowl game, they finished without a winning record for a fourth consecutive season.

No change has come in men's basketball, but the program has underachieved the past two seasons, finishing at or near the bottom of the conference standings. To help calm fans, coach Herb Sendek this week participated in a teleconference with approximately 1,000 season-ticket holders.

"Is there happiness about the performance of (the) football team over the last few years?" Crow said. "The answer is no. ... Is there happiness about men's basketball? It goes unanswered. How can you be happy about 20 losses in a single season? It is our expectation that none of our teams and none of our programs (should) be in the bottom tier of anything. Period. And that's not where we are."

Patterson's promotion saves ASU from an extended search and a transition of uncertainty, but it doesn't come without questions. Prior to his ASU arrival, Patterson did not have much experience at the college level. He spent nearly 25 years as an executive with the NFL's Houston Texans and with the NBA's Houston Rockets and Portland Trail Blazers. He also worked in pro hockey with the Houston Aeros.

Before coming to ASU, Patterson was president of Pro Sports Consulting. Moving forward, he will merge his duties with the Sun Devil Sports group into his new responsibilities. He said his first order of business is to meet with coaches of every ASU program, a process that began Wednesday. He doesn't expect to make immediate changes.

"To go forward from where we are here, we have to have a vision of where we want to go,'' Patterson said. "The key to that is Sun Devil athletics has to win, first and foremost. We have to be consistently competitive. We need to be top-ranked in the Director's Cup every year. We need to vie for national championships, and while we're doing it we need to have some fun."

In seven years under Love, ASU captured 15 conference championships and seven national titles, including three in women's track and field and two in softball. Crow also praised the Sun Devils' academic performance under her watch.

"(This) is an extremely challenging position,'' Crow said. " ... Lisa Love achieved what we asked her to achieve, and here we are seeking to achieve more, and wanting to achieve more. And Steve Patterson's appointment is the best pathway for us to achieve more."

Love did not attend the news conference. Contacted by a Republic reporter, she said she was not ready to comment. Under contract through June 30, 2014, she had a base salary of around $341,000. According to her contract, Love is due 100 percent of her salary for up to two years if she is fired without cause. She was due a $50,000 retention bonus June 30.

Patterson, who said the terms of his new job have not been finalized, said college success starts with healthy football and basketball programs. And he's convinced ASU has the resources to make it happen.

"This is a great canvas to paint on,'' Patterson said. "If you can't figure out how to come here and be successful, it's not ASU's fault. It's the person that's coaching. If you can't convince the best athletes to come and play here ... there's something wrong. We ought to be competitive every single week, day-in and day-out in every single sport."

Steve Patterson bio

Hometown:
Beaver Dam, Wis.

Education:
The University of Texas, Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration in 1980. He graduated from Texas' law school in 1984.

Key background:
As general manager of the Houston Rockets, Patterson helped mold the 1994 NBA champions. Later, he helped bring the Houston Texans and Super Bowl XXXVIII to Houston. In Portland, Patterson served as president of the Trail Blazers, the Rose Garden and Rose City Radio. He also was the team's general manager.

Quote:
"When I first interviewed Steve for the role that he had until today, what I found was a person deeply committed to education. He comes from a family of educators. Deeply committed to what universities stand for and what we're about. ... Now I've seen him operate for nine months, and I have complete confidence that the culture shift from professional sports and university sports can be accomplished well by Steve." -- ASU President Michael Crow
3/29/2012 5:03:01 PM
Topic:
PGPR: The latest power rankings (3.28)

ASU74
ASU74
Kendall:
How about adding the DH to the power rankings. The DH's ARE an important part of the game & should be recognized don'tcha think?
3/30/2012 6:47:51 AM
Topic:
No more Love at ASU for Lisa

ASU74
ASU74
Dodger Matt wrote:
"Hometown: Beaver Dam, Wis."

Ah, he's a Beaver fan. Cool beans!

Nice headline. About time somebody at ASU ate some Crow.

Now that is punny. On point, but punny.Applause
4/2/2012 3:39:18 PM
Topic:
Pac 12 Player & Pitcher of the Week (Week 7)

ASU74
ASU74
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — WASHINGTON STATE senior outfielder Derek Jones has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week and ARIZONA sophomore right-handed pitcher Konner Wade has been named Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for March 26-April 1, Commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday.

Jones helped WSU along to a 3-1 week, going 9-for-16 (.563) while racking up two doubles, two home runs, six RBI, two stolen bases and seven runs over four contests. He went 4-for-9 in a day-night doubleheader as the Cougars defeated No. 6 UCLA (10-4) and Long Beach State (11-1) on the road last Monday, marking the first time since 1988 that WSU won two road games at two different venues in the same day. At home over the weekend, the senior went 5-for-7 (.714) with two doubles, two home runs and five RBI as WSU split a two-game series with USC.

This is Jones’ third career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the 65th all-time selection for WSU.

Wade threw a complete game three-hitter against then-No. 2 Stanford on Saturday night, carrying a no-hitter into the sixth inning. The sophomore retired the final seven hitters he faced, finishing the game with seven K’s and one walk, and allowing one earned run. Wade improved to 4-0 on the season as he secured the series victory over the Cardinal with a 4-2 win at home.

This is Wade’s first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week selection and Arizona’s 48th all-time selection. He is the second Wildcat to be selected for the honor this season, with Kurt Heyer receiving the accolade on March 6.

Also Nominated (Player): Joey DeMichele, ASU; Aaron Jones, ORE; Tyler Smith, OSU; Tyler Heineman, UCLA; Tyler Relf, UTAH.

Also Nominated (Pitcher): Robert Ravago, ASU; Alex Keudell, ORE; Jace Fry, OSU; Kesley Kondo, UTAH; Tanner Chleborad, WSU.
4/3/2012 2:43:36 PM
Topic:
Stanford meltdown?

ASU74
ASU74
If ya look back historically; the frontrunners of the Pac do very well in "preseason" non-conference play. Once they start conference play they begin a downhill slide.

Now, is this due to the teams beginning to fall apart OR due to the fact that the Pac is a VERY good baseball conference and we are just beating each other up?

My theory is the latter. Comments?

I know the gods of the Devils are going to stick a fork in me for this, but...

IMO you guys are throwing stones at Stanford for getting swept by UA, but I'll tell ya & I've stated this in a previous thread. UA is a very good, scrappy, competitive team and ya'll are not giving them enough credit. It is difficult to evaluate teams as we do in our weekly picks without seeing (all of) them on the field in person. I saw UA split a mid week series with Rice & I was impressed with what I saw on the field in addition to the leadership & enthusiasm in the dugout.

ASU & Stanford play in a couple of weeks & I plan to go there and support my Devils. It is not often that the Devils get swept in conference play, but I think the Cards may do it. Not for sure, but I do not think ASU has ever been swept twice in the same season in conference play.
edited by ASU74 on 4/3/2012
4/3/2012 8:31:25 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 8

ASU74
ASU74
FYI
I just realized we have an early start this week due to the Easter Holiday. The weekend series start on Thur 4/5/12, so get your crystal balls out early.

RD:
It is bad luck to be superstitious. Educated
4/4/2012 9:39:23 AM
Topic:

ASU74
ASU74
UCLA 2-1
ASU 2-1
STAN 2-1
USC 3-0
UA 3-0
WSU 2-1
4/4/2012 10:40:20 AM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 8

ASU74
ASU74
FSU 2-1
MIA 2-1
Kentucky 2-1
ARK 2-1
NCS 2-1
edited by ASU74 on 4/4/2012
4/4/2012 2:25:55 PM
Topic:
Some Interesting Pac BB Stuff

ASU74
ASU74
• Six Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: Arizona (4), UCLA (5), Stanford (6), Oregon State (20), Oregon (22) and Arizona State (24).

• No. 4 Arizona has been named College Baseball Insider.com’s Team of the Week after sweeping then-No. 2 Stanford over the weekend. On Friday, the Wildcats scored four runs in the bottom of the ninth to come back from a 7-4 deficit and defeat the Cardinal, 8-7. Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week Konner Wade carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning of game two of the series on Saturday. The Arizona sophomore allowed three hits, one walk and one earned run in his first career complete game as the ‘Cats clinched the series victory, 4-2.

• Three Conference series resulted in sweeps last weekend: Arizona over Stanford in Tucson, where the Wildcats handed Stanford its first series loss of the season; Oregon over Arizona State in Eugene, where Ducks RHP Alex Keudell pitched the first complete-game shutout of the senior’s career on Saturday; and UCLA over Utah in Salt Lake City, where Sunday’s 16-0 victory gave the Bruins their largest margin of victory in a conference shutout since May 7, 1983, when they dropped Arizona, 20-0. UCLA junior outfielder Beau Amaral led off that game with a home run, becoming the first Bruin to do so since Brandon Crawford in 2006.

• Arizona’s Wade, Oregon’s Keudell and California junior third baseman Mitch Delfino have been named to College Baseball 360’s Primetime Performers Honor Roll for Week Seven. Delfino provided three RBI in a 7-6 win at Fresno State last Tuesday and contributed a home run and an RBI single to secure a 6-5 series clincher against then-No. 18 Texas on Sunday.

• Oregon sophomore RHP Jimmie Sherfy leads the nation in strikeouts per nine innings with 13.66 (46 strikeouts over 30.3 innings pitched). Stanford junior LHP Brett Mooneyham comes in at 14th nationally with 11.55 (53 strikeouts over 41.3 innings pitched).

• The No. 4 Wildcats rank fifth among Division I schools in batting average at .327. Indiana State ranks first at .332. Four of the Conference’s top 10 hitters belong to Arizona: Seth Mejias-Brean (.393, 6th), Alex Mejia (.386, 7th), Robert Refsnyder (.382, 8th) and Joey Rickard (.361, 10th).
4/7/2012 2:40:06 PM
Topic:

ASU74
ASU74
BeaverBob wrote:
Ophiman, I had to use FireFox. I couldn't open it with Explorer.

OpihiMan wrote:
Am I the only one having problems with the streaming link...the video will not load on any of my computers

&^%%^*()^
Even after downloading FireFox the game "Is not available at this time"
(^%**(()^$#$
wtf
4/8/2012 9:59:47 AM
Topic:
Predict who will win the Pac

ASU74
ASU74
We are almost half way through Pac Play. The next couple of weeks pair some of the current "top tier" teams and things will get VERY interesting. This is where we are now:

Arizona 9-3
UCLA 8-4
Oregon 8-4
Oregon State 6-6
ASU 6-6
Stanford 4-5
USC 5-6 (PPD game with Washington in May)
Washington 4-5 (PPD game with USC in May)
Washington State 3-5
Utah 4-8
Cal 2-7

The Wildcats have scratched their way to the top. Are their claws strong enough to hang on? Will the defending Pac Champs-UCLA go back to back? How about them Ducks. Are they really that good or will they get shot down? ASU has only one thing to play for this season...the Pac Crown. Will they be like the Phoenix and come back and burn everyone? Will Stanford live up to the pre-season hype? Will the Beavers bite everyone in the butt & come out smiling? How about the current bottom dweller Cal who last year was a #3 regional seed and was the only Pac team to Pac their bags for a trip to Omaha? Will Utah be a spoiler for the Pac Elite? They have only been swept once in Pac play, won their series with USC, and are sending a message to the Pac that they are not to be taken for granted. Will the two Washingtom teams be the dark horses no one saw coming?

Make your picks with your mind, not your hearts.

My Pick: UA. I think they are for real.
edited by ASU74 on 4/8/2012
edited by ASU74 on 4/8/2012
4/8/2012 10:29:53 AM
Topic:

ASU74
ASU74
RD:
Congrads. Told ya it was bad luck to be superstitious!
Kneel!
4/9/2012 2:51:34 PM
Topic:
Pac 12 Player & Pitcher of the Week (Week 8)

ASU74
ASU74
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. — OREGON sophomore outfielder Brett Thomas has been named Pac-12 Player of the Week and OREGON senior right-handed pitcher Alex Keudell has been named Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for April 2-8, Commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday.

Thomas batted .636 (7-for-11) in three games against then-No. 5 UCLA last week, racking up two doubles, three runs scored, two RBI and two stolen bases as the then-No. 22 Ducks took two of three games from the Bruins in Los Angeles. The Poway, Calif., native posted a .692 on-base percentage and .818 slugging percentage, and also was perfect in the outfield, adding an assist on Saturday. Tacking on Oregon’s series sweep of Arizona State from two weekends ago, Oregon won five consecutive conference games for the first time since 1976.

This is Thomas’ first career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor and the fifth all-time selection for Oregon.

Keudell threw seven shutout innings in the first game of the Oregon-UCLA series on Thursday, when the Ducks upset the then-No. 5 Bruins, 6-2. The senior allowed eight hits, struck out two, walked one and didn't allow any extra-base hits as he improved to 4-3 on the season. Keudell now has pitched 22 consecutive shutout innings and is 3-0 in his last three starts.

This is Keudell’s first career Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week selection and Oregon’s fourth all-time selection. Oregon sophomore Jimmie Sherfy claimed the first Pitcher of the Week award of the 2012 season on Feb. 21.

Also Nominated (Player): Bobby Brown, ARIZ; Deven Marrero, ASU; Eric Smith, STAN; Parker Morin, UTAH.

Also Nominated (Pitcher): Kurt Heyer, ARIZ; Matt Dunbar, ASU; Mark Appel, STAN; David Berg, UCLA; Andrew Triggs, USC; Mitch Watrous, UTAH.
4/9/2012 2:55:17 PM
Topic:
Pac 12 Player & Pitcher of the Week (Week 8)

ASU74
ASU74
RD
I can just picture you jumping up and down on your couch..... cuz the Ducks Sweep Pac 12 Weekly Baseball Honors.

Congrads
4/9/2012 6:41:11 PM
Topic:
National Predictions: Week 9

ASU74
ASU74
Ark 2-1
CSF 2-1
Stan 2-1
Ariz 2-1
Nebraska 2-1
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52