Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

BaylorGuy314 - all messages by user

2/21/2011 8:41:29 AM
Topic:
PING!!! No More

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
I like the new bats. Baseball was never meant to be a power-only game, IMO. It's a game of strategy and outslugging the other team was too common with the old bats (especially the late 90s bats). I'd love to switch to wood although that may be a little TOO much for this level and make it too pitching-dominated.
2/21/2011 8:50:24 AM
Topic:
ORU 4, Baylor 5 (Final) -- BU 2/3

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
Baylor played decently this weekend. Oral Roberts is a very solid club. Really surprised to see Verrett get rocked on Friday. I hope he rebounds well.

Trae Davis (freshman, Mexia, TX) will be a major contributor this season on the mound for the Bears. Was hitting 95 on the gun on his fball and then would follow it up with a 70 change.

A couple of Baylor's hitters struggled at the plate this weekend- guys that really pounded it last year. I am hopeful that a few of them will come around in the coming weeks.

Overall, Baylor looks to be a decent club, especially if Verrett gets back to form. Baylor has lots of pitching depth but could use another elite guy emerge on the mound if they want to go far. Blank performed well on Sunday in that role, but he was hot and cold all last year. Davis (mentioned above) could be it, although we likely won't know that until later in the season.

Looking forward to the TCU game. Wish it wasn't at 4pm though...I'll be late arriving.
2/23/2011 12:45:04 PM
Topic:
Texas College Baseball Power Poll

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
catdaddy wrote:
Baylor and Texas are overrated and UH will do well to be .500 this year.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you base this on what?

In my opinion, we can't tell much of anything right now. TCU ought to be very good but putting the remaining teams in any kind of order is a crapshoot. Texas, for example, has lost opening series many times over the last few years and still been a very good team. Likewise, I remember the Aggies splitting a series with Northern Colorado in 2008 and almost losing a series to a poor Rutgers team yet winning the Big 12 and playing Rice in a super.

In short, I don't think we'll know much until a few weekends from now at best.
2/24/2011 5:01:15 PM
Topic:
Texas College Baseball Power Poll

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
catdaddy wrote:
BaylorGuy314 wrote:
catdaddy wrote:
Baylor and Texas are overrated and UH will do well to be .500 this year.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you base this on what?

In my opinion, we can't tell much of anything right now. TCU ought to be very good but putting the remaining teams in any kind of order is a crapshoot. Texas, for example, has lost opening series many times over the last few years and still been a very good team. Likewise, I remember the Aggies splitting a series with Northern Colorado in 2008 and almost losing a series to a poor Rutgers team yet winning the Big 12 and playing Rice in a super.

In short, I don't think we'll know much until a few weekends from now at best.

Just my humble opinion but think Baylor is still living on past laurels a little. Their 12-13 conference record last year (36-24 overall) wasn't worthy of a NCAA bid and their recruiting class last year wasn't great either so don't see the preseason top 20 ranking.

As far as Texas I don't think they did enough to replace the offense lost and something is different about Cole Green from the back half of last year.

In the end, time will tell as you say.

That's a fair assessment. I'm always amazed at what some poor teams can become in one year though. For example, Baylor didn't even a winning record (29-31) in 2004, returned most of their guys, and won the Big 12 (and went to the CWS) the next year.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
3/8/2011 9:08:40 PM
Topic:
Baylor 6, Texas State 4 (final)

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
nm
3/12/2011 8:39:23 AM
Topic:
WEEKEND PREVIEW: Going very in-depth (3/10)

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
Quick comment on Verrett. Not only did he work the full game and get 14ks (1 BB) while giving up only 1 hit, but he only faced one over the minimum- the walk he gave up in the 8th.
3/12/2011 11:13:36 AM
Topic:
WEEKEND PREVIEW: Going very in-depth (3/10)

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
Blank and Turley have been hot/cold to date. I like Blank's approach but he has typically had one really bad inning in all of his starts where he gets in trouble and struggles to overcome. I agree though- if they can get a really reliable #2, they could be salty.
3/14/2011 8:14:27 AM
Topic:
What was the week's biggest surprise?

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
Georgia for me, no doubt. Also- LSU sweeping CSF. I kinda expected CSF to take one. Rice also struggled out in San Fran...although they salvaged the weekend with a 2-1 win yesterday.
3/14/2011 9:13:26 AM
Topic:
What was the week's biggest surprise?

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
Also, UCLA lost 2/3 once again, which was kind of a surprise considering they played UGA, St Mary's, and USC. Their team ERA is 1.80, but their team BA is less than .250. That just won't cut it.
edited by BaylorGuy314 on 3/14/2011
3/16/2011 7:54:59 AM
Topic:
Tuesday's action -- what stood out to you?

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
This really isn't much national news, but Trae Davis, the highly touted freshman for Baylor, looked great in his first few outings on the year but has blown up the last few. He only pitched the first inning against FIU last night, but gave up 4 ER on 3 hits and 3 BBs. He's got the stuff, but it sure doesn't seem like he's comfortable using it all at times. Nearly cost Baylor the game yesterday...

On the plus side, a couple of other pitchers (like Max Garner) are starting to throw well for the Bears. That could offset the inconsistency of Davis but I was really thinking at one point that Davis would make the weekend rotation by the end of the year.
3/16/2011 10:10:45 AM
Topic:
Tuesday's action -- what stood out to you?

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
You won't find any argument from me Kendall. Baylor's got a lot of "decent" depth in the pitching staff but lacks a true #2 or #3 guy. Right now, we are throwing Blank and Turley but both of those guys have had some good outingd this year and have had some bad. Need one of them to start throwing consistently well for Baylor to really do some damage. That being said, if Verrett can stay on the top of his game, he gives Baylor a chance to win a Friday night game against pretty much anyone and that can go a long way.
3/21/2011 7:48:49 AM
Topic:
What was the weekend's biggest surprise?

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
I was surprised to see A&M take 2/3 at Oklahoma. (I am starting to think OU may have been a bit overinflated or that their weak schedule was a bad decision.)

Very disappointed in Baylor this weekend. Had a 13-4 lead in the 9th inning on Saturday and let Texas Tech come back and tie it, although Baylor did win in the bottom of 9.

On Sunday, had a 6-3 lead in the 7th, let Tech tie it in the 9th, and then lost 10-6 after giving up four runs in the 10th on only one hit.

All of the mojo that the Bears carried after beating Rice completely evaporated this weekend. They seemed to have very little confidence. Just a strange turn of events. As a fan of the Bears, I hope Steve didn't lose his team in one weekend.

Oklahoma State lost 2/3 to Kansas as well. That was pretty surprising to me as well.
3/21/2011 2:32:59 PM
Topic:
The new bats make the college game much less fun

BaylorGuy314
BaylorGuy314
I like the new bats. Way game was meant to be played.
pages: 1