Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

jdh008 - all messages by user

2/19/2011 11:10:40 PM
Topic:
Houston 9 UT-Arlington 0

jdh008
jdh008
The Houston Cougars get another convincing win under new head coach Todd Whitting. As Kendall mentioned in his Friday wrap-up, you have to consider who they are playing, but these first two wins have been impressive nonetheless.
2/19/2011 11:12:07 PM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

jdh008
jdh008
I think EMU over Clemson was the biggest surprise.

Maryland taking it to Cole Green of Texas was another. Speaking of that series, someone tell Augie that it isn't a Super Regional. He used Keifer Nuncio is both games of the doubleheader. Seems odd given that it's the opening weekend.
2/19/2011 11:15:22 PM
Topic:
PING!!! No More

jdh008
jdh008
I guess I'll play Devil's advocate and say that I miss the ping. To me, there are few better sounds that when a ball is squared up on an aluminum bat. I go back to watching guys like Gordon Beckham and Pedro Alvarez. The ping off their bats was like nothing I had ever heard.

All that being said, the new bats don't really bother me all that much.
2/19/2011 11:17:31 PM
Topic:
Maine 14, UNLV 15 (Final)

jdh008
jdh008
Did these two teams move the second half of their doubleheader to tomorrow? I saw earlier that they were going to play two, but with a game like this I certainly can't blame them if they postponed it.
3/28/2011 8:11:53 PM
Topic:
ESPNU - College Softball...

jdh008
jdh008
Unfortunately, college softball probably gets nearly as many viewers as college baseball does. This topic comes up every year during the Women's College World Series when ESPN seems to do wall to wall college softball coverage.

It's times like this when I'm thankful I have the Fox College Sports package. Fox College Sports Atlantic and Central do a good job of televising a ton of ACC and SEC games on the weekends.
4/14/2011 9:45:29 PM
Topic:
PG64: NCAA Postseason Projections (4/14) -HAVE Qs?

jdh008
jdh008
Obviously I understand you not having them in at this point, but just how many wins do the UH Cougars need to get in? Their computer numbers will help them, but right now it's all about piling up wins for them. Boyd's needs report has the Cougars only needing to be a couple games over .500 to be in the top 32 in the RPI, but that likely won't be enough to get in. Do they need 33 wins? 34? 35 even?
4/19/2011 8:00:01 AM
Topic:
Miss State suspends player for flipping off....

jdh008
jdh008
This story made Deadspin. National exposure for college baseball!!! I keed, I keed. About the exposure part. It actually did make Deadspin, though.
edited by jdh008 on 4/19/2011
4/19/2011 8:02:18 AM
Topic:
Reds' Leake arrested, accused of theft

jdh008
jdh008
Wow. Talk about jumping to conclusions. By that logic, we should not be surprised when any member of the Texas Rangers gets arrested for possession of a controlled substance because Ron Washington is an admitted cocaine user.
4/19/2011 8:04:41 AM
Topic:
Pitcher of the Year so far?

jdh008
jdh008
Moral of the story....there are a ton of pitchers having HUGE seasons. I'm glad I'm not trying to make a decision on which one of those guys had the best season.
4/19/2011 4:23:21 PM
Topic:
Nebraska vs Creighton (TD Ameritrade Opener)

jdh008
jdh008
Looking forward to it. Can't wait to get a sneak peek at the new park.
4/22/2011 6:23:18 PM
Topic:
C'mon ESPNU

jdh008
jdh008
I will preface this by saying that I'm thankful that ESPNU had college baseball on today.

That being said, their choice of a day game between Bethune-Cookman and Coppin State is a head-scratcher.

I certainly don't mind Bethune-Cookman being on TV. They are a really solid team and their unbelievable dominance of the MEAC is a story that needs to be talked about more. It's just that I would have liked to see them play someone other than Coppin State. CSU is now 4-30 with their loss today.

Beyond their record, their team ERA was 8.89 coming into the game and they had four players in their starting lineup with averages below .200. As if that's not enough, they only carry 13 players on their roster total. It resembled some summer ball teams I played on in high school. They were bringing pitchers in from right field, shortstop, and seemingly everywhere else just to piece it together.

Of course I'm not blaming Coppin State or anything, but if there's a worse team in D-I, I'm not sure who it is.
4/23/2011 1:06:31 PM
Topic:
What was Friday's biggest surprise?

jdh008
jdh008
I was a little surprised at the relatively small crowd at MSU as well. I tuned into the game thinking that it was going to be a raucous atmosphere. The atmosphere was still good. Better than 95% of crowds in the nation. But it just wasn't an MSU crowd like it used to be.
4/24/2011 2:36:09 PM
Topic:
Saturday's biggeset surprise was ....

jdh008
jdh008
I'm with you, Kendall. The biggest surprise for me was Miami sweeping the DH from UNC, particularly the way UNC lost the first game of the DH. They rallied back to tie in the 9th and then their bullpen absolutely imploded in the 10th.
4/24/2011 5:29:59 PM
Topic:
How crazy is C-USA this year?

jdh008
jdh008
I'd argue that Conference USA has been as crazy a conference as any so far. I'm really struggling to figure out how things are going to shake out.

Rice is obviously the biggest name, but injuries and inconsistency have plagued them a bit this season. They are still having a decent season, but nothing like they are used to having.

It looked like Southern Miss was going to run away with things, but they stumbled with a series loss to Memphis to pull them back to the pack a little. Memphis really hasn't been able to keep that momentum going as they are sitting at 7-5 in the conference.

As much as it pains me to say it, UH has probably overachieved by going 7-5 so far, but they have won enough to play a part in how the conference will be decided.

I'll admit that UAB is much better than I thought they'd be. They won a series with my UH Cougars a couple weeks ago and they just polished off a series win against Rice yesterday. Their 8-7 record has them sitting tied with ECU, a team that probably feels they have underachieved. Unlike some of their previous teams, ECU is struggling a little with the bat, but can pitch with anyone in the nation. That team is really built for postseason play, particularly with the new bats.

UCF has tailed off as they seem to always do after a hot start and Tulane is talented in spite of their 4-8 conference record.

Marshall seems to be the only "bad" team. I'm also not sure there is a great team in this bunch. The conference might get four or five bids into the NCAA Tournament, but I'm not sure any of them are Omaha contenders at this point.
4/24/2011 6:36:20 PM
Topic:
What stood out most over the weekend?

jdh008
jdh008
Miami winning the series from UNC is my first runner up. I was impressed, but I was also confident that Miami is just now hitting their stride and turning it on while UNC is cooling off considerably.

For me, the thing that stood out the most was A&M not only sweeping OK St., but doing it in dominating fashion. For me, UT and Texas A&M are easily the class of the Big 12.
edited by jdh008 on 4/24/2011
4/26/2011 9:18:24 PM
Topic:
ANALYSIS: National title contenders (as of now)

jdh008
jdh008
The Texas A&M/SHSU game was also of note because it was Mark Johnson's last game at Olsen before his retirement. I heard the pregame ceremony honoring him was very classy.
5/2/2011 5:00:06 PM
Topic:
Only Player Ranked in Top 100 in 10 Categories

jdh008
jdh008
Adam Brett Walker. What do I win?
5/4/2011 6:07:39 PM
Topic:
You need one pitcher, one hitter .......

jdh008
jdh008
My pitcher is Trevor Bauer without a doubt.

For hitters, I'll work under the assumption that we're getting the 100% healthy version of the hitter. With that in mind, I'll go with Anthony Rendon.
5/10/2011 6:53:38 PM
Topic:
Biggest gripe about ESPN college baseball coverage

jdh008
jdh008
I'll preface this post (like I did another about college baseball coverage) by saying that I'm thankful that ESPN increased their coverage a little bit. The SEC Thursday Night stuff has been great.

I just wish they'd cater their presentation to college baseball fans instead of casual sports fans that may stumble upon the game. The treat a lot of their games (for example the CU/Neb. game I'm watching now) like they would cricket. They feel the need to explain every little nuance every single time they broadcast a game.

I swear they show the Sports Science clip about the new bats and the accompanying stats vs. last season during every game. I've heard Kyle Peterson's spiel about how the game is more true now, but he fears they may have gone too far at least a dozen times already.

I guess I just feel that by appealing to the most ignorant of casual fans in the presentations, they are ultimately appealing to no one.
edited by jdh008 on 5/10/2011
5/22/2011 11:42:39 AM
Topic:
Kendall - FL Regionals?

jdh008
jdh008
I feel like Stetson falling apart hurt the Hurricanes almost as much as it hurt themselves. For the last few weeks, Miami has been locked in as the 2 seed at Stetson, which would be a very winnable regional for the Canes.

Now, with Stetson out of the hosting picture, Miami will either end up at Florida or traveling a decent distance.
pages: 1 2 3