Perfect Game Forum

Heels2Omaha - all messages by user

2/19/2011 4:03:27 PM
Topic:
#22 UNC 4, #8 Fullerton 3 Final in 11 innings

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Pretty hard fought game thus far.

Fullerton ties it with 2 down in the 9th.

Heels get a 2 out RBI from Ben Bunting in the 11th to take the lead.

I'm thinking that Carolina is liking rainy SoCal so far on this trip.
edited by Heels2Omaha on 2/19/2011
edited by Heels2Omaha on 2/19/2011
2/19/2011 4:57:31 PM
Topic:
#22 UNC 4, #8 Fullerton 3 Final in 11 innings

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Absolutely. Will be out there with my usual tailgating setup on Saturday.
2/19/2011 6:01:55 PM
Topic:
Feeling pretty good about my Heels thus far...

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
2-0 against some pretty stout competition on the other side of the country. Cal Poly is very good and Fullerton is ....well, they're Fullerton. We've really pitched well and played great defense. The offense hasn't been great but has done just enough. Would sure be nice to get these two tomorrow against Southern Cal and Missouri to come home to Chapel Hill 4-0.
2/19/2011 7:41:46 PM
Topic:

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Hopefully others will as well...pretty dead right now.
2/20/2011 3:22:19 PM
Topic:

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
FV, you need to make sure to come to the tailgate party on Saturday.

Heels are now 3-0 after beating Mizzou 11-3 earlier today...and up 2-0 on Southern Cal in the 2nd.

Man, going 4-0 in this trip would sure be sweet and would be a pretty clear statement about the abilities of this UNC squad.
2/20/2011 4:32:53 PM
Topic:
#22 UNC 11, USC 7, Bottom 9

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
UNC's 4th and last game in Cali.

Looks like it's gonna take a bucket full of runs to win this one. UNC is on it's 4th game in 3 days and 3rd in the last 24 hours.

3 big insurance runs in the top of the 9th for UNC.
edited by Heels2Omaha on 2/20/2011
2/20/2011 6:45:44 PM
Topic:
Was anyone's week 1 more impressive than UNC's?

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Obviously, I'm quite biased, but..... 2500 miles from home with a BUNCH of freshmen and sophomores on the field, and we go 4-0 against some pretty danged solid competition.

I knew we were going to surprise people, but even I am over top thrilled with 4-0.
2/21/2011 4:42:20 AM
Topic:

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
You would have to go back to 2000 when the Heels opened up at the Disney tournament to find as demanding an opening weekend for UNC. That year they beat Central Florida, Miami, and Rice to open. Traditionally, we open at home versus a less-than-desirable opponent. That fact makes a lot of those hot starts a bit questionable. This time though, you're talking about 3 of the 4 being VERY quality opponents (I still think USC is a team that's a year away from being really competitive) and 1 of them being a premium team (CSF). Also, 2 of the 4 were true road games and all of them were played nearly 3000 miles from Chapel Hill.

All things considered, you'd be hard pressed to find a more impressive start by a UNC squad.

mojaveheel wrote:
the Heels are on the young side, including much of the pitching...

there are going to be ups and downs but for now I'm going to enjoy this terrific start...

Mike Fox teams tend to do well early (4-0 start or better 10 of his 13 seasons) although I can't remember another start quite this impressive...
2/22/2011 10:23:48 AM
Topic:
PG Top 25 Rankings (2/21)

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Connecticut......wtf
2/23/2011 2:21:08 PM
Topic:
FV4Heels, check your messages

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I responded to you...not sure if you got it.
2/28/2011 12:51:05 PM
Topic:
What was the weekend's biggest surprise?

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I remember one pretty bad weekend for the Chants. It wasn't in the regular season though.

Nuke LaLoosh wrote:
I think its a combination of both. Some of it, to be honest is just baseball. Their run last year was unprecedented, and going undefeated and winning 55 games is hard to do regardless of the conference. This program has won over 200 games in the last four years and hasn't really had what I would call bad weekend in that time, so we would have to assume that a bad weekend would show itself at some point.

The young guys have been doing just fine IMO, and are right where we would expect them to be. Our veterans need to step up right now and take the reins, I love when freshmen are given the opportunity to contribute, but relying on them is a dangerous game, and one that usually does not result in success in the post season.

One thing to consider, that I think a lot of people outside of the state of South Carolina do not realize, is that when Coastal plays a team from a Major conference in a tournament or in a midweek, they do not throw their 1, 2, or 3. They typically will either throw their midweek guy, or a seldom worked guy.

Now that certainly doesn't excuse all of these losses, especially not the Cal loss. However, it's just something to consider that when these matchups happen, it's not always Coastal "A" roster and not always a weekend guy throwing.

All that being said, has horrible as this weekend was, it is just that...a weekend. Look for them to get things on track.
3/9/2011 6:59:04 AM
Topic:
South Carolina's Ray Tanner addresses Clemson

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Kendall wrote:
Pretty interesting video to say the least.... Tanner is not real happy.

http://youtu.be/TpGyQl3P3lg

I find it interesting that Coach Tanner doesn't like to be "called out" yet he found it necessary to release in the media this week that UNC had "refused a challenge" by South Carolina to play a game in 2013. It's pretty hypocritical to do that when they knew full-well that Mike Fox is not going to play any team where one of his former assistant coaches is now coaching. What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander in Columbia.
3/9/2011 7:23:06 AM
Topic:
Freshman Kent Emanuel - Fantastic Start for UNC

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
The kid looks like a stud so far. It will be interesting to see how he fares against weekend competition, but he's been nothing short of dominant in two starts.
3/9/2011 8:13:50 AM
Topic:
South Carolina's Ray Tanner addresses Clemson

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Yardcock96 wrote:
Heels2Omaha wrote:
I find it interesting that Coach Tanner doesn't like to be "called out" yet he found it necessary to release in the media this week that UNC had "refused a challenge" by South Carolina to play a game in 2013. It's pretty hypocritical to do that when they knew full-well that Mike Fox is not going to play any team where one of his former assistant coaches is now coaching. What's good for the goose is apparently not good for the gander in Columbia.

Hardly the same thing. Where did you see Ray or Chad or Eric Hyman say that UNC "refused a challenge"? Sure, word leaked out this week that UNC declined to play us in 2013 and we would probably be playing NCSU instead. The beat writers that reported it sauced it up and added the refused the challenge stuff and all of that because that is how the majority our fanbase perceives the declining of the invitation. Writers have to make their stories sell. If Ray had gone on record and called out Mike Fox and said he was scared to play us or something like that you would be comparing apples to apples. Jack accused our team of cheating by challenging the bat then refused to comment on why he did it. Then one of Jack's players publicly called out one our of our players by name and said he was soft.

On a side note, I don't believe your explanation on Fox not wanting to play a team with one of his former assistants. For the record, I don't think UNC is scared to play us either. It's politics. The same reason SC for many years refused to play any sports against Coastal after they left the USC system. There is bad blood lingering from the whole ACC era and it's much higher up than Mike Fox. You can't tell me that 2 schools this close together with as much history as they have playing each other have only scheduled a handful of games in all the sports combined since we left UNC's conference and there isn't a larger reason. We played UNC in basketball countless times and how many home and homes have their been since we left the ACC? ZERO. If Dean and Eddie Fogler hadn't had their relationship, we wouldn't have had the neutral site matchups we had in the 90's. I will say that the politics stopping play seem to be more on the UNC end because we do make public the refusals to play us like this one and the one in football, etc. Politics and bad blood on our end I'm sure drive that PR train as well.

I agree that it's not going as far, but the beat writers never would have known unless someone on the South Carolina coaching staff let it be known. They did so knowing full well how it would be interpreted and intended it as a call-out. Was it of the same magnitude? Not even close. It was a call-out though.
3/10/2011 7:58:51 AM
Topic:
Who would take Kendall's job...

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
It's a really good question. I think though that you'd be surprised just how quickly you can get into "coverage" mode. For me, when I've covered things, it's a pretty easy transition even though I'm obviously a huge fan.

fsugeo wrote:
knowing that you would always be on the road and essentially would have to give up being a true fan of your current team?

I say no. I enjoy watching and following FSU to much to give it up.

Not that his job isn't great and he gets to see some tremendous stuff, but I want to be a fan.

What does everyone else think?
3/24/2011 8:51:26 AM
Topic:
Look at the ACC in the computers!

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
I know it's very early, but the ACC in the RPI and the ISR is just incredible right now. 4 of the top 7 RPI and 4 of the top 6 ISR....

Those numbers will certainly change, but the host situation will look awfully rosy for the league if those numbers are even remotely close at the end of the year.
3/25/2011 5:06:46 AM
Topic:
Postseason talk: Where do I stand?

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Kendall wrote:
ACC Fan wrote:
Kendall wrote:
I will have this stuff more in-depth in the weekend breakdown, but as of right now:

NATIONAL SEEDS (IF season ended today)

1. Florida
2. Virginia
3. Vanderbilt
4. Florida State
5. Fresno State
6. Georgia Tech
7. South Carolina
8. Texas A&M

OTHER HOST SITES

Stanford
North Carolina
Auburn
Texas
Baylor
LSU
Rice
East Carolina

Kendall, of all the teams in the top 8...who is the biggest suprise at this stage of the season? I would say either Virginia or Ga. Tech...with the amount of players both teams lost from last years teams, neither was suppost to be as good as they have been thus far in 2011.

I'd say Georgia Tech. Just how good Virginia has been certainly is a surprise, but if you would've told me this time three months ago that the Yellow Jackets would be in national seed contention with the offense they brought back, I would've thought you were crazy. Again, as much flack as GT coach Danny Hall gets for not winning enough in the postseason, he is doing a marvelous coaching job this season, IMO.

I definitely agree that GT has been surprising in a very good way thus far. However, to your point about Hall, I still fully expect them to be shocking in an entirely ugly way come May. It's just happened too many times to ignore.
3/26/2011 5:26:23 AM
Topic:
What was Friday's big surprise?

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
NC State cruising over Clemson 6-0 surprised the heck out of me. The Atlantic Division of the ACC is just a train wreck this year.
3/27/2011 5:06:10 AM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Gotta go with NC State here again. I'm betting there are some angry Clemson fans this morning.
3/27/2011 3:43:54 PM
Topic:
Question for poll buffs...

Heels2Omaha
Heels2Omaha
Has any team from one of the major leagues ever been 23-3 and not found themselves in the top 10?

I doubt Kendall and others move UNC that far tomorrow, but if you're ranking the season to this point and not what your expectations were going in, there's no way to keep them out.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5