Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

NolesFanJosh - all messages by user

2/19/2011 9:21:15 PM
Topic:
Feeling pretty good about my Heels thus far...

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
H2O...good to see you sir...as always, much respect to the Heels, from what I'm reading your pitching appears to (once again) be quite solid from the outset. Look fwd to seeing ya over here now.
2/19/2011 9:23:52 PM
Topic:
Pitt 3, Iowa 2 (11 Inn)

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Great game, part of Big East/Big 10 Challenge.
2/19/2011 9:26:32 PM
Topic:
VMI 2, #7 Florida State 9

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
nm
2/19/2011 9:29:18 PM
Topic:
PING!!! No More

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I don't necessarily mind the new bats or the 'click' sound. Seems more like pure baseball and a lot closer to the crack at the big league level. Leave the 'PING' to the Little League World Series and the kids.
2/20/2011 6:07:26 AM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Obv Clemson losing and Green getting touched up by Maryland are quite shocking, as well as UConn and UGA both falling to 0-2 with UConn being the more surprising of those two.

But on a different level, I'd say Oregon falling to 0-2 and dropping the series to Hawaii is a bit of a surprise as well.
2/24/2011 3:47:41 PM
Topic:
Ivy League

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I think the Ivy League is prone to being able to 'make noise' much the same as Dartmouth did last year, that is, win a game or 2 at Regionals. While that is great for the game, especially the growth and exposure in the North (and I'm from Pittsburgh so I'm well-versed in the NE aspect of College Baseball) teams like Dartmouth or Harvard will put a bit of a scare into some teams from the South, but giving Dartmouth's now recent history from Coral Gables Regional last year, I don't think anyone would take Dartmouth extremely lightly. That said, they'll STILL get a #4 Seed whoever wins that conference, and still face a #2 or possibly depending on who the #1 IS and where they're sent to, maybe even the Sunday starter from some of the better rotations.

The only conference(s) from the North/NorthEast region that could REALLY make noise is the Big East with St.Johns, Louisville, UConn, and Pitt with their improved facilities/ballclub. And POSSIBLY the Big 10 if Minnesota can have a solid season.
2/26/2011 10:17:02 AM
Topic:
What was your biggest surprise Friday?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
As far as THE single biggest surprise, it's EASILY Delaware beating Arizona State.

But with that said, and I KNOW ASU is currently appealing it but given the current status of the postseason ban on Arizona State, I think some will kinda sweep them under the rug, which I think takes away from a HUGE win by Delaware against one of College Baseball's storied and traditional powers.

Also tips of the cap go to App State for beating Miami, Cal for obliterating Coastal, St Mary's beating Oregon, and Toledo for beating Louisville.
edited by NolesFanJosh on 2/26/2011
2/26/2011 7:59:37 PM
Topic:
Kendall: Beating My Friend H2O to the Punch...

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
While I wouldn't say the Big East is great at baseball, they're not entirely BAD as a whole either, sure they are more prone to having bad weekends and such, because the depth simply isn't there in comparision with the South and the Western teams, but I think the Top 4 (St Johns, L'Ville, UConn and Pitt) could all potentially compete for multiple bids and the Big East is a rising conference that OF COURSE will get better when TCU joins. And to say they're not good 'PERIOD' is just wrong. They wouldn't have recieved multiple bids AND a reg. host last year (admittedly as a Nole fan, wasn't TOO thrilled they had to travel north) but also speaking as a native Northerner and Pittsburgher, I can say, the Big East from what I've seen and noticed IS putting more resources into sports like baseball (Pitt's brand new facility is a MAJOR upgrade over Trees Field.) It will take time, but the Big East isn't exactly as bad off as other conferences such as Big 10 and others.
2/26/2011 8:21:39 PM
Topic:
Best starting pitcher in the country?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
You really can't go wrong with any of the Top 5, (Purke, Cole, Bauer, Gray or Jungmann) but I think someone who may get overlooked BECAUSE of the 'Purke factor' is Kyle Winkler, watched the streaming of the Fullerton/TCU game from Friday and he is quite nasty in his own right. I'm not saying he's #1 by any stretch but he deserves to have his name thrown into the large hat that seems to have been put out there.
edited by NolesFanJosh on 2/26/2011
2/27/2011 2:57:36 AM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
SJ State beating Bauer and UCLA is surprise of day hands down. But I must remind CDin that Delaware going across country and beating Arizona State just a day prior would be right up there on level terms with surprise of week/month.

Also well done by Toledo to take first 2 games of series vs. Louisville.
2/27/2011 3:04:33 AM
Topic:
Kendall: Beating My Friend H2O to the Punch...

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Kendall,

I'm actually more of a Big East supporter than a basher lol. I do think UConn has to pick it up in next week or 2 or could bury themselves into a situation where they would almost have to run through the conference tournament in order to make the tournament. Because if they continue this horrid slide and lose next cpl non-conference weekends, I can't see how they would be able to produce a good enough resume to be in running for At-Large.

Louisville and St. John's I think will be and ARE currently in far better shape. It's unfortunate that due to the snowstorm back home in Pittsburgh, that the Panthers were unable to open up play in their new ballpark but I do think Coach Jordano and the Panthers will be on the 'upswing' this year.

Thoughts on Pitt Kendall?
2/27/2011 4:30:05 PM
Topic:
Suprise - UCLA lost again 8 -3 vs. San Jose State

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Yeah that 6th inning they roughed him up pretty good. We've seen it now two weekends in a row, 'Top 5' pitcher, gets drilled. Well done San Jose State anyone who picks up a series over UCLA by taking first 2 over Cole and Bauer deserves a ton of praise. But also, UCLA's bat have continued to be silenced. Even the great pitchers need run support in case they run into days like Cole had today.
2/27/2011 8:17:51 PM
Topic:
What was the weekend's biggest surprise?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
As I said in a previous post, it's San Jose State in a landslide.

Fullerton can't be considered TOO much of a surprise given that they ARE a Top 15 team and didn't face Purke.

I am desperately pulling for Cal to actually win the Pac-10/get to Omaha. It'd be a big ol' 'eff you' to the AD and the rest of the idiots who were a part of this decision.
3/1/2011 3:37:58 AM
Topic:
Midweek games to watch...

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
It's pretty much a slam-dunk that FSU/Fla is THE game on Tuesday night, Noles are throwing Sitz in that game *Held him out against Hofstra, he's the Noles #3 starter* Always close, fun games, and it's against a rival and was a matchup that was an elimination game just a year ago in the CWS.
3/1/2011 10:11:48 AM
Topic:
Is there a bigger rivalry today than SC\Clemson?

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Today? Nope...FSU/Miami has been pretty intense...but I'd put it a notch below SCar/Clem. And with Florida fast becoming a baseball 'power' on a more consistent basis, both the FSU/UF and UF/Miami rivalries could very well heat up. But for now, the stage is SCar and Clemson's.

Weird...I guess I somehow wasn't logged in despite actually being shown as logged in?!?? Strange.
3/1/2011 8:54:02 PM
Topic:
Interesting decision by Arizona...

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
If either throw over 75 pitches, white flags should probably go up.

FSU threw Gilmartin for an inning tonight against UF because it would've been his normal 'throwing session' today. So maybe they're thinking something similar and trying to get 5 innings out of their top 2 against a quality opponent and give the younger guys weekend experience.
3/1/2011 9:07:04 PM
Topic:
(#7) Florida State 5, (#1) Florida 3

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Well played game. Especially by both bullpens.

WP- Sitz 2-0
LP- Toledo 0-1 (I thought they would've given it to Alex Panteliodis giving up last 2 earned runs?!??)
SV- McGee (1)
3/1/2011 10:19:18 PM
Topic:
Miami

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
They are extremely young, but the last few years, it's always felt (to me at least) they get off to kinda a slow start collectively and then a month or so into it, they're solid in Regional host spot. A win or 2 this weekend would go a LONG way for them this season.
3/2/2011 9:01:51 AM
Topic:
Miami

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
As usual Geo, I stand corrected with you around lol. But just in listening to w/e streams I can watch or listen to the last cpl yrs, this isn't old POWERHOUSE Miami that we're used to seeing like did in 90's and early 2000's.
3/2/2011 11:25:35 PM
Topic:
Some quick thoughts on Tuesday's results

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
I have no problem with him throwing an inning, a normal bullpen 'throwing day' you'd throw a simulated game, here it just so happens it wasn't sim'd. Now had 11 left Gilmartin in there for the 7th, THEN we're talking about a lot of ppl having problems with it. But I think had the game been on Wed, he wouldn't have had Gilmartin throw, it would've been someone coming else coming in, or maybe he leaves Sitz in for the 6th.

And as for Florida, they haven't won anything either and the mindset of Florida is very much the same as FSU's. Go get the best players, play them, win games, contend and go after the CWS Title. Of COURSE they want to win, what would you prefer, throw Sitz against Hofstra and go Johnny Bullpen against Florida JUST because it's a midweek game?!?? If these midweek games don't mean as much, then WHY schedule them at all in the first place?!?? As was pointed out earlier, rotations have been moved around in other places, it's not just a 'Florida State thing'.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7