HSF
HSF
Why did Mike Taylor leave the program?
11/19/2012 8:27:43 AM
Topic:
****2013 College Schedules -- POST HERE!!!****

HSF
HSF
According to the Texas SID office they should be releasing schedule today or tomorrow
11/20/2012 11:25:52 AM
Topic:
Lance Berkman may retire, return to Rice

HSF
HSF
That still doesn’t explain Taylor’s departure.

The guy has had a 20+ year relationship with Graham and now all of the sudden he’s out.

Would love to know the details behind the falling out.

Have to wonder if it has something to do with Rice’s recruiting being down.
11/20/2012 11:37:27 AM
Topic:
Turkey Day

HSF
HSF
college baseballl can't get here fast enough.
11/27/2012 8:04:08 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
weg313 wrote:

1. This has nothing to do with Rice recruiting...whatsoever. And though this year's incoming class appears to be ranked just outside the Top 25, I think that by the time these guys graduate they will prove to be one of Rice's best recruiting classes; perhaps even matching the great 2005 incoming class (Savery, St.Clair, Henley, Friday, Dotson, Lehmann, Zornes, Bell, Bramhall, Tacker).

2. Understand your curiosity, but the circumstances behind Taylor's departure is NEVER going to be made public.

Actually Rice’s 2011 and 2012 classes were ranked outside of the Top 25, and the 2013 group isn’t looking too promising with Luna being the only Top 500 player signed so far.

Maybe the guys who have committed will be great and prove they should’ve been ranked higher, but that doesn’t change the fact that right now TCU, A&M, Texas, and now Tech (with Tadlock rolling) are getting the more highly regarded in-state talent.

And with Rice now not having been to Omaha since 2008, and choking away what was seemingly 2 fairly easy Home regionals the last two years, now top assistant leaving, being out recruited in-state…it appears it’s a program on the decline, hopefully Berkman can help reenergize it.
11/29/2012 1:30:01 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
Competing for Top 8 seeds or hosting home Regionals is not the end goal.

Omaha is.

A&M, TCU, Texas (twice)…and I’ll include CSF, LSU, & UNC (since you mentioned them) have all been to Omaha since the last time Rice has in 2008.

Not saying Texas is not in decline, they are – but they have had back to back top 10 recruiting classes (according to Baseball America)

But to say that Rice has outperformed Texas the “last several years” is an overstatement.

From 2009-2011 Texas was a Top-8 seed all three years, averaged 50 wins a year, went to Omaha twice, and won 3 Big 12 Titles, and was a National Runner-up in 2009…compared to Rice who was only a top 8 seed in 2011 and didn’t make it Omaha in any of those 3 years.

If you want to go back even further Texas has been to Omaha the exact same amount of times that Rice has going back to 1997, and has one more National Title.

Also, as terrible as Texas was last year, and they may not be much better this year, they still beat Rice last year.

But if you want to discount recruiting and say that Rice has always recruited poorly and that explains the 3 straight subpar classes, that is fine, and is legitimate because what you say about developing prospects is true, I hope I am wrong, I want Rice to do well, I root for all Texas teams.

The Purke story that you tell is misleading, he never considered Rice.
11/30/2012 9:00:39 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
That is a very good point and I certainly am aware of the obstacles that Rice has when it comes to recruiting to that extent.

And certainly speaks to the level at which Graham, Pierce, Taylor and Co. have been able to develop players over the years.

I do think that Pierce will take over that program one day, after he turns SHSU into a mid-major juggernaut which is very close to happening.
1/4/2013 7:35:26 AM
Topic:
Collegiate Baseball Top 40 Preseason Poll

HSF
HSF
Texas is a year removed from going to Omaha and would’ve been a contender last year had not been devastated by injuries. And brought in the 7th best recruiting class in the country according to BA, which includes the top offensive recruit in the country.

Rice is the one that is overrated after choking away another easy home regional last year.

Aaron Fitt has picked Texas to be get back to a Super this year – sorry walt, he knows much more than you.

If anything Texas is underrated in that poll.

Your crybaby agenda against Texas is an old stale bit. Who won the Texas/Rice game last year at MM? and when was the last time Rice went to Omaha?
1/4/2013 4:52:26 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
Oh please, your inferiority complex and butthurt over all things Texas has been long documented on message boards (the old yahoo board)

The fact that you point out only Texas as your “e.g. overrated team” out of a list of 40 teams on this thread proves it once again.

Yes, preseason rankings mean nothing…we will see who has the better team at the end of the season.

You also prove once again that you don’t have the slightest clue what you are talking about, Texas injuries did not start late in the year, before the season started the most devastating one occurred when they lost the Friday starter, who was an Preseason All-American – Sam Stafford….then two more pitchers went down later in the year and another had to be dismissed…no team in the country could overcome that type of pitcher exodus.

And I like how you won’t even acknowledge the fact that Texas, despite all of the injuries, still kicked Rice’s tail last year, and that “putrid” offense put up 11 runs – who started that game for Rice? Oh yeah Kubitza – your 1st round pick.

Still bitter?

By the way, your number 4 is incorrect, I’m sure that is what you are telling yourself and might be the line that Graham is spewing, but it is false; not even close to how it went down.

Plus Texas has absolutely owned the series all-time versus Rice, so no reason to be scared.
edited by HSF on 1/4/2013
1/4/2013 7:02:05 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
I love the Texas/Rice series too and wish it would continue. But to put that all on Augie is incorrect. Yes, Texas backed out to go to Hawaii (who could blame that) but it was Graham who then cut off any further talks for continuing the series, not Garrido,

Teams change scheduling plans late in the game all the time, Augie was wrong to do it last minute, but Graham was wrong to get so butthurt not to try and schedule in the future.

Both guys are at fault.
1/7/2013 8:40:13 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
I would love to go to a game in Corvallis myself.
Especially this year to see Conforto in person....he's a beast
1/11/2013 6:47:14 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
BeaverBob wrote:
HSF, what's your story? It looks like you are fairly new to this forum. What team do you suppport?

I’ve been around, I posted on the old yahoo board for years too.

I don’t have a specific team that I root for, I follow High School and College Baseball here in Texas very closely.

I follow players and thus I find myself pulling for all Texas teams at some point.

But if I had to be pegged down to one team it would be Texas, that is who I loved as a kid going back to the Brooks Kieschnick/Calvin Murray days. But I love College Baseball as a whole, easily the best sport in the world.

Again, I root for all teams in Texas, except for Rice, of course, LOL

I kid, Leon Byrd was one of my favorite Texas HS players last year, so I will be watching Rice this year to see how he progresses and rooting for him to succeed, great kid, great ballplayer.
1/14/2013 6:34:45 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
I like San Diego’s team a lot

Obviously Kris Bryant is a stud, but I also think that Covey will step and have huge year (live up to the 1st round status)
1/16/2013 10:25:56 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
GTbaseball wrote:
So, back to the rankings...

we have been talking about teams that are in the rankings the whole time.
1/21/2013 11:21:09 AM
Topic:
2013 Preseason College All-America teams

HSF
HSF
That pitching staff at UCLA with Plutko, Berg, Vander Tuig, Deeter, Virant is going to be almost unfair this year.
That is my preseason pick to win it all.
1/21/2013 11:25:58 AM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
airjeffdude wrote:
Not sure how you couldn't include any South Carolina players when the team is stacked and could make a run at the CWS again this year. Just curious why certain players got left off

Instead of the broad criticism of KR’s selections why not make a case for the South Carolina players that you believe should be on the team.

Gamecocks will be loaded again, but I don’t see one person on KR’s list that should be replaced.

Not having a preseason All-American can sometimes be compliment, it means that the overall team is rounded as a opposed to having one or two superstars. Or it could mean that you don’t have any good players at all.

In South Carolina’s case it is the former.
1/21/2013 3:34:26 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
Absolutely, a great case certainly could be made for Tyler Webb, dude is legit….but again you’re going to have to take someone off of the team then.

But Grayson Greiner, c’mon.

He hit .222 last year.

He certainly has the skill set for a breakout offensive year in 2013, but if you are going to start electing All-American catchers simply based on arm strength then that would be re-writing how All-American teams are selected in general.

Not to mention that Garver and Ty Ross both had better seasons than Griener did last year.
edited by HSF on 1/21/2013
1/21/2013 6:36:40 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
Um....Beavers are Oregon State, Ducks are Oregon

Don't start a civil war now...hehe

I'm glad a Vandy fan is here though. I'm like their team a lot this year.
1/22/2013 3:33:23 PM
Topic:

HSF
HSF
Absolutely, I agree

Griener will have a great year, but you can't take Garver or Ross off of that list right now for him.
1/22/2013 6:25:06 PM
Topic:
BREAKDOWN: Analyzing the Top 25 teams (CBT)

HSF
HSF
Here we go....Of course, your obsession with Texas continues.

This is where Walt screams at the rafters about how Texas is ranked only on reputation.

I don't know where you get this idea that Texas is so void of talent.

Texas had the #7 recruiting class this past season, and the #2 class the year before that. That is Baseball America's rankings, are you familiar with those guys?

Look at the roster, the Texas staff will be loaded this year, French, Peters, Boardman, Duke, Helmink, Culbreth, Cox, Hollingworth....look those guys up Wally, read what the scouts say, see how many were drafted....and then remember, I haven't even mentioned Knebel, Weiss, or Hinojosa yet.

Southern Miss is good,

But there is a reason Kendall has Texas ahead of Southern Miss...Texas will flat out be better

Please try to go 10 or 12 posts without mentioning something about Texas, $100 says you can't.
pages: 1