Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

tater head - all messages by user

2/22/2011 8:32:38 AM
Topic:
25 other teams to watch feature ....

tater head
tater head
KR, hopefully Texas State shows you enough against Rice tomorrow to make your next list.

This could be another special season like '09. Smith will be a first rounder and they have a new power lefty (Turner) who looked sharp v. Air Force and throw in steady Pitts and they have a solid rotation.

On offense they have a good balance of speed/on-base with Sibley and Atwood and then power with Kubitza, Kalenkosky, Stumph and McVaney.

Of course I probably just cursed them by bragging on them.....
2/22/2011 12:44:04 PM
Topic:
25 other teams to watch feature ....

tater head
tater head
Kendall wrote:
tater head wrote:
KR, hopefully Texas State shows you enough against Rice tomorrow to make your next list.

This could be another special season like '09. Smith will be a first rounder and they have a new power lefty (Turner) who looked sharp v. Air Force and throw in steady Pitts and they have a solid rotation.

On offense they have a good balance of speed/on-base with Sibley and Atwood and then power with Kubitza, Kalenkosky, Stumph and McVaney.

Of course I probably just cursed them by bragging on them.....

Tater,
Definitely no disrespect for Texas State on my end. Just want to see them in person before I jump forward with them. I actually had the Bobcats and Southeastern Louisiana as my last two teams outside of our perceived Top 50, so they're not far behind what so ever.

I'm very excited to see Carson Smith throw against Rice, and especially one Mr. Anthony Rendon.

Will you be making the game?

Can't miss the Rice game. Harrington and the Texas State are on the verge of taking the program to the next level. Beautiful new park, new conference and a couple of good recruiters in Fikac and Matlock. Expect 2,500+ for the Rice game.

Also a couple of other good side notes to the Rice game besides Smith vs. Rendon and McDowell's first start as brothers Fuda (Joey-TXST, Michael-Rice) and Kubitza (Kyle-TXST, Austin-Rice) will be in opposing dugouts.

I expect to see Smith get the nod in more of these weekday games against the likes of Rice, Baylor, Texas and Rice as Texas State tries to improve on its record vs. the top 25. Schedule sets up fairly well.
2/23/2011 7:26:01 AM
Topic:
Texas College Baseball Power Poll

tater head
tater head
HuskerFan31 wrote:
catdaddy wrote:
Baylor and Texas are overrated and UH will do well to be .500 this year.

Texas loses at home to TX A&M CC to a pitcher who issues 8 walks and 1 hbp and Baylor gets shut out at home by two freshman....good call
2/24/2011 9:11:32 PM
Topic:
Texas standout commitment (P/3B)

tater head
tater head
Man, as a Longhorn fan I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was a UT recruit, but A&M...c'mon Hunter, don't you want to go to a 4 year school ? (sorry Kendall).
2/25/2011 7:38:01 AM
Topic:
Texas standout commitment (P/3B)

tater head
tater head
Kendall wrote:
tater head wrote:
Man, as a Longhorn fan I was excited when I saw this thread thinking it was a UT recruit, but A&M...c'mon Hunter, don't you want to go to a 4 year school ? (sorry Kendall).

Tater -- come on bro, go check out the thread about Josh Bell and John Curtiss ... and a smile will fill your face!

You know how Horn fans are...if we can't have 'em we don't want anybody to. Long for those days of unlimited football scholarships.
3/2/2011 7:30:08 PM
Topic:
25 teams outside Top 25 to watch...

tater head
tater head
Baylor...c'mon KR. Totaly shut down at home by two freshman in a loss to TCU and then rolled (again at home) by Texas State in a 13-2 drubbing. Don't see it.

Maybe you meant Mary Hardin Baylor
3/3/2011 12:34:06 PM
Topic:
25 teams outside Top 25 to watch...

tater head
tater head
Always thought Baylor had the potential to be a 40+ win team every season with what they have to offer with the beautiful ballpark, academics, athletic programs, etc. They recruit nationally but seems like they just can't quite consistently get to that next level consistently.

On the other hand, Texas State deserves to be in KR's next listing of others to watch outside the top 25.
3/3/2011 1:26:46 PM
Topic:
Great West Conference

tater head
tater head
Was bumping around the conference standing websites on D1baseball.com and the Great West Conference caught my eye for a couple of reasons. One is their record so far:

UT Pan Am 5-2
Utah Valley St 3-4
Chicago St 1-2
Houston Baptist 0-9
New Jersey Tech 0-3
New York Tech 0-0
North Dakota 0-3
Northern Colorado 0-4
Overall 9-27

Not exactly competitive which begs the question...why bother with D1? The travel alone just for conference games has to be a financial and logistical nightmare for these institutions. Nothing says Great West like New York or New Jersey!!

Houston Baptist is from my area but they have a roster of 25, plays on a field with no lights and has scheduled the likes of New Mexico State, TCU, Texas, Texas State, Dallas Baptist, etc. If a school like Cal can't make baseball work, how can these institutions? The conference still doesn't get an automatic bid but just found the whole conference situation interesting.
3/4/2011 9:00:51 AM
Topic:
Great West Conference

tater head
tater head
All true but just factor in the travel required by all sports (not just baseball) at these schools just for conference and it's hard to justify the burden it must put on the school but guess if you want to run with the big dogs...Just seems like those funds could be put to better use by 1) staying independent if your hell bent on being D1 and play closer to home, or 2) find your niche and be the best D2, D3 or NAIA program you can be.
3/7/2011 2:24:30 PM
Topic:
How Teams from Texas fare in the postseason

tater head
tater head
SFA had a pretty good season last year. Too bad they couldn't get that new stadium a few years ago. Cardenas does a fair job with what he has to work with. East Texas is a baseball hotbed.
3/14/2011 2:03:51 PM
Topic:
Purke's First Loss

tater head
tater head
A little ironic Purke's first college loss comes at the hand of an 0-14 (now 1-15) Houston Baptist team. Who had HBU in the office pool?
3/21/2011 12:45:46 PM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: Jackets, others make moves (3/21)

tater head
tater head
KR, this fatuation with Baylor has got to stop Whaaaaa?.. A 13-7 record with 8 of the wins coming against La Tech, ORU and Georgia and then lose a home series to Tech and don't even drop out of the top 25!! Not exactly worthy any votes let alone a top 25 ranking.
3/22/2011 8:49:29 AM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: Jackets, others make moves (3/21)

tater head
tater head
Kendall wrote:
tater head wrote:
KR, this fatuation with Baylor has got to stop Whaaaaa?.. A 13-7 record with 8 of the wins coming against La Tech, ORU and Georgia and then lose a home series to Tech and don't even drop out of the top 25!! Not exactly worthy any votes let alone a top 25 ranking.

The Bears have a solid offense and have captured some solid wins this year. They took two of three on the road from Georgia, who has some very solid wins. The Bears also went 2-1 at the Houston College Classic, including earning a win over Rice. If you're comparing the Bears to other teams vying for the No. 25 spot, the debates are very comparable and equally unimpressive, IMO.

KR, you consider the wins over a fading Rice and sub .500 UH and Georgia to be solid? Sorry, don't see it. Do see the home series loss to Tx Tech and a home thumping by Texas State though . Baylor is a middle of the pack Big 12 team but no doubt will get an invite like they did last year with a sub .500 conference record.
3/22/2011 8:54:41 AM
Topic:
Writers poll

tater head
tater head
Really love Bethune Cookman at 10-12, Louisiana Lafayette at 9-10 and Va Tech at 12-10 receiving a vote(s). Says about all you need to know about this poll.
3/25/2011 7:21:02 AM
Topic:
Postseason talk: Where do I stand?

tater head
tater head
Baylor hosting a regional is about the same odds the Branch Davidians had against the ATF and the FBI in 1993.

KR, hit the space bar twice if Baylor has you under a spell. We can help you break the curse but you have to send us a signal first
3/25/2011 8:22:25 AM
Topic:
Great West Conference

tater head
tater head
Know all of you are probably having anxiety attacks waiting on an update on how the Great West Conference has been faring since my last update so here goes nothing:

- the overall conference record before conference play starts is now 17-89
- the top team in the standings is UTPA at 5-6
- the rest of the pack has one team with 4 wins, two teams with 2 wins and four teams with 1 win
- Houston Baptist's one win is ironically against Matt Purke and TCU
- four teams are in the midst of a losing streak of 4+ games

One more weekend before conference play starts. Strap in, the conference race could be an exciting finish.
3/28/2011 3:52:35 PM
Topic:
PG TOP 25: Vandy tops latest rankings (3/28)

tater head
tater head
Same song, different week. Baylor squeeks out a couple of one run, come from behind victories at home over a mediocre K State (RPI=96, SOS = 132) and they jump 5 spots???

If they take 2/3 from a hapless Kansas next weekend will they crack the top 10?
3/29/2011 7:43:03 AM
Topic:

tater head
tater head
It's nothing against Baylor (although I'm not a fan), it's more the 9 lives the middle-of-the-pack major conference teams get over the more deserving mid majors.

College baseball is a lot like college basketball in that there is a lot more parity than people think and you see it in the NCAA tourney every year. I use Baylor as an example and I don't like seeing any team rewarded for being mediocre (i.e. 12-13 in conference in 2010 and an invite). I'd much rather see more representation and recognition given to mid major conferences who don't have the advantages of a big time budget, football team, facilities, etc). They (top level mids) have done more with what they were given than a school like Baylor who has access to every resource available and still can't win half their conference games.

Sic 'em Bears
3/30/2011 8:36:05 AM
Topic:

tater head
tater head
Kendall, you got the address for the baseball office at UTSA? I need to send them a 'thank you' card

Go Roadrunners...beep beep.

Edit: While you have your address book open will need an address for Lamar too. C'mon Kansas, no pressure. If the Southland can beat Baylor 3 times surely a Big 12 team can as well.
edited by tater head on 3/30/2011
4/2/2011 8:35:41 AM
Topic:
My national seeds/hosts as of right now (3/29)

tater head
tater head
Kendall, can Baylor still host if they don't make the tourney ??

Rock Chalk Baylor
pages: 1 2