Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Colonel33 - all messages by user

7/5/2011 9:54:58 AM
Topic:
Western Kentucky makes hire (as expected) - (7/11)

Colonel33
Colonel33
You might be right but I think the fact that they kept Holliday around this long in the interview process makes me think he has the leg up.
7/5/2011 3:59:51 PM
Topic:

Colonel33
Colonel33
I personally hope Holliday gets it. I'm an alum of the program. While I didn't play for Coach Finwood, I'm very appreciative of what he and Coach Myers accomplished and did for the program. But Finwood leaving to go to Old Dominion was a horrible kept secret. It came out during the season. It was probably about right time for a regime change. It gets ugly once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't really get it back in there. Thus the mass exodus of 20 something players from the program at the end of the season. I think most people associated with the program/players are ready to go in a different direction with a new regime.
7/5/2011 10:12:27 PM
Topic:
Update on Miami hitting coach search (7/9)

Colonel33
Colonel33
Did Lawson get another job? Its hard to pull your name out for hitting coach at Miami unless you have a better backup plan.
7/6/2011 11:52:18 AM
Topic:

Colonel33
Colonel33
Let's don't make it seem that this past coaching staff invented baseball at WKU. While they made it relevant again and more consistent, WKU has won 40 games before as have they won the Sun Belt. In the early 80s they were a win from Omaha. That was back when the postseason field was 48. As a former player, I appreciate what they've done. The fact is Coach Finwood got the university to invest millions in the facilities and program. Coach Murrie tried for several years to get the same support from the university, however it fell on deaf ears. As far as having a finger on the pulse of the team, just this morning I talked with a player and he said he and most of the team was very excited about the possibility of having "Matt Holiday's Dad" as head coach. Only time will tell.
7/6/2011 7:49:11 PM
Topic:

Colonel33
Colonel33
Last time WKU hosted, they brought in Finwood (his first season) and they didn't make the tournament. I think the program will be fine with either one of the two as head coach. I would assume if Holliday got the job, his son at Vandy would come up to be his assistant and possibly take over a few years down the road. The last few times that WKU has hired player favorites to coach, it didn't go over so well. That's usually the case anywhere.
7/6/2011 9:48:38 PM
Topic:

Colonel33
Colonel33
I don't know that he would be taking a pay cut. He's the 2nd assistant at Vandy. Derek Johnson will be getting an ACC or SEC gig before him. Father and son have bounced around alot. For them to move somewhere for less or more money is not an issue.
7/7/2011 8:28:07 PM
Topic:

Colonel33
Colonel33
Guest-
You might be right. They might have been 0 and que in Finwood's first season. I know they were horrible. The fact is I know the inner workings of it all from the President down to the assistant coaches so when someone that scrubbed jocks or hung out with the baseball team comes on here and acts like they know what is going on with WKU, they usually don't have a clue. It was Holliday's if he wanted it, they probably couldn't match up $$ and packages for coaches. That would be the reason Myers would get it. The rest withdrew their name because of the timeline and recruiting. While they have a small but good recruiting class coming in, there was a mass exodus in returning players. Thus the reason for Finwood leaving. Many were tired of the antics and chose to sign vs come back for another year. ( I won't go into it anymore because I've probably said more than I should). I will send my donation to the program and go support them no matter who the coach is.
7/7/2011 8:36:23 PM
Topic:
High School Baseball Dynasties

Colonel33
Colonel33
In Kentucky, we have Louisville PRP and Lexington Catholic. We don't have a class system so your definition of a dynasty and my definition might be different. Everyone competes against one another. I believe us and Delaware are the only 2 states that have high school baseball but no class system.
7/14/2011 9:21:32 PM
Topic:
COACHES: Our in-depth look at 20 best jobs done

Colonel33
Colonel33
Weg I agree. Come one Kendall get off those guys n----. O'Sullivan, Garrido, and Corbin were suppose to get there. Florida and Vandy were freaking loaded. I think Esquer, Cohen and Heefner did the best. Tanner also did an awesome job.
pages: 1