Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

RawnsleyD - all messages by user

3/6/2011 4:16:26 PM
Topic:
LSU lands out-of-state infielder

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I've never seen Bregman play; I'm trusting that the guys in the PG office are working hard to get him to our National Showcase in June.

I've talked to some people who've seen him play and they say he's a very advanced hitter for his age and has the strength to hit at the upper levels. They characterized him as a middle of the road type athlete who will have to have his bat carry him, but then again, I haven't seen him play myself so I'll reserve judgment on that.

That being said, Bregman is a 5-11 right handed hitter who doesn't appear to have even average big league speed. That profile usually goes to college, although there are exceptions for exceptional hitters, of which Bregman might be one.

Any way, it's a great commitment for the Tigers
3/6/2011 4:27:14 PM
Topic:
Thoughts/analysis on Rice-A&M from HCC

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Kubitza pitched at PG's 2009 National Showcase and I wrote the following report.

Austin Kubitza is a 2010 RHP with a 6'5'', 185 lb. frame from Colleyville, TX who attends Heritage HS. Long slender body, projects. Cross body delivery with extended 3/4's release, hides ball well, occ trouble with balance/repeating delivery. Good arm speed, ball comes out of hand easily, FB 88-91 mph with more velo to come with strength, varies speed and break on SL, some up to 83 mph with sharpness, developing feel for change, demonstrates some pitchability. Very good student.

I also saw him at the 2009 Area Code Games, where scout/coaches who were there might remember his facing 2010 Rays 1st rounder Justin O'Conner.

Kubitza's brother, Kyle, is a junior 3B at Texas State who has a chance to be a top 5 round draft pick this June.
edited by RawnsleyD on 3/6/2011
3/8/2011 12:45:10 PM
Topic:
OSU Cowboys

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Hursh is an interesting story. He came to the 2009 Sunshine South showcase as a shortstop. Once we saw him throw from the infield we asked him if he wanted to throw an inning on the mound. Wow! He was at the National Showcase the next week as a primary pitcher and has kept improving ever since. You never know when the road might turn to your future.

Here's the report I wrote after the 2009 Sunshine South.

Jason Hursh is a 2010 RHP/SS with a 6'1'', 175 lb. frame from Carrollton, TX who attends Trinity Christian HS. Lean athletic build, projects. Primary SS prior to event, excellent IF arm strength, 6.96 runner. Some raw bat speed, lacks balance, sprays ball to all fields, best contact pulling. Future clearly on mound, long easy arm action, cross body release, ball comes out easy, works from stretch, FB 89-91 mph, good shape on CB, projects consistent low 90's velo. Outstanding student.
edited by RawnsleyD on 3/8/2011
3/8/2011 1:09:39 PM
Topic:
Scoop on Oregon State (3/8)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Kendall, I'm curious if coach Casey had anything to say about one of my favorites, Matt Boyd? Boyd was their most effective pitcher last year as a freshman (7-0, 1.90) and hit .264-3-19 in 70 or so AB's. But I see he has only 6 innings and 0 at bats this year.
3/8/2011 1:13:41 PM
Topic:
Wednesday note on Georgia (3/8)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Great news on Taylor. He and Arizona State outfielder Cory Hahn probably played in 40 Perfect Game/WWBA events combined over the years and we got to know both of them very well as players and as young men. Our thoughts go out to both of them and their families for successful recoveries.
3/8/2011 1:16:17 PM
Topic:
Quick note on A&M rotation change

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
It's worth pointing out that Mendoza is 2-0 with a 0.69 ERA in 13 IP. Hard to argue with that. Except perhaps to say that ranks third on the Aggie staff behind John Stilson (0.43 in 21 IP) and Michael Wacha (0.45 in 20 IP).
3/10/2011 5:06:38 AM
Topic:
Some scoop on CS Bakersfield (3/9)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I asked Kendall to follow up on Van Dam, who we saw alot of in high school (he was also a 6-7, 230 lb power hitting 1B) but who hadn't found much success thus far in college.

Coach Kernan's comments on Van Dam are a good lesson for you pitcher's. Yes, everyone loves radar gun readings, especially those that start with a "9". But sooner or later you have to learn how to get outs. Pitchers throw harder in AA than in the Major Leagues for just that reason. A pitch thrown at 88 mph with location and movement is a better pitch than a 92 mph straight fastball down the middle. Ask any hitter!
3/10/2011 5:13:32 AM
Topic:
Kent State P Andrew Chafin (update)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Scouts may be initially a bit wary of Chafin coming off off surgery but he had potential 1st round stuff beforehand and he doesn't seem to have missed a beat. The number of potential 1st round college pitchers in this draft class is pretty absurd, perhaps historical, and probably warrants an article in the next week or so.
3/15/2011 2:02:14 PM
Topic:
Update on Houston pitcher Codey Morehouse (3/15)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
The Cougars lost the last 2 games of that weekend set to Texas State 17-15 and 11-10, allowing 24 runs in the last 9 innings. You might say that they ran out of pitching.
3/15/2011 2:08:16 PM
Topic:
HD vids of UCONN's George Springer/Matt Barnes

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
The thing that really stood out for me on the Springer video was his aggressiveness; he attacks the ball like he wants to drive hit hard somewhere. Often times I see young hitters who have the strength and bat speed to do this but seem to be "thinking" too much. Springer looks like he's angry at the ball for getting near him.

A negative off-shoot of that which will probably have to be addressed is that Springer has alot of balance/drifting issues based on that admittedly short video look. He fouled off a couple of those pitches when he wasn't hitting from a good base and his eye level changed.

I love the look on his face, caught just at the end of Kendall's video, whenn the ump rang him up on a slider that looked well outside.
4/4/2011 1:44:18 PM
Topic:
Quick Cal reinstatement update (3/31) *UPDATE*

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
Baseball fans who follow the PG website or live in the Upper Midwest are familiar with this scenario. When Northern Iowa dropped their program two years ago, PG and Jerry Ford were very active in a similar attempt to raise the funds that were needed to save the program. Unfortunately in that case as well, it become obvious that the decision to eliminate the UNI program had already been made.
4/7/2011 3:08:34 PM
Topic:
Kevin Gausman

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
I talked to a scout who was at Gausman's last start. He said that Gausman's raw stuff was outstanding, solid plus fastball, a change up that keeps improving and a breaking ball that was inconsistent but flashed plus potential. His account was that in the second inning Gausman allowed a couple of ground ball base hits and starting trying to overpower hitters and subsequently got the ball up in the zone. Then he got ripped.

The lesson is that freshman pitchers are still 18 year olds (or 19 year old, as Gausman is) and that's why college coaches would rather play older, more mature players. A more experienced pitcher would have said "Hey, 2 cheap runs, I'll keep going here," while a youngster wants to pitch outside his envelope.

LSU is in a position where it has to throw a number of young pitchers this year. McCune is evidently the most mature, he "get's it" at an early stage. Gausman and Eades have had their moments but have also shown their youth. With coaches like LSU has, their chances of learning are very good.....with patience.
edited by RawnsleyD on 4/7/2011
8/22/2011 9:18:03 AM
Topic:
Thursday's college commitments (8.18)

RawnsleyD
RawnsleyD
J.T. Phillips and Zach Bowers were both standouts at the East Coast Pro Showcase in early August and are both legit top 150 players in the country. I didn't see Phillips pitch, I think he's a primary 3B who has also caught and played the middle infield. Bowers is one of the top 10 catchers in the country in my mind. Two potential impact players in my mind and both guys who for me sit on that fringe line of "Pro vs. College" and stand a good chance of making it to Athens.
pages: 1 2