Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

paintitblack - all messages by user

3/8/2011 8:09:15 PM
Topic:
Cal 20 Santa Clara 5

paintitblack
paintitblack
Cal scored 17 runs in the 5th and 6th innings. Could've used some of that firepower this past weekend.
3/18/2011 8:57:35 PM
Topic:
Cal dropping bsb, UCSD going D-1

paintitblack
paintitblack
Kendall,

You may want to check back in with sources you have at Cal to get an update where things stand now concerning reinstatement.
3/28/2011 3:56:09 PM
Topic:
Some brief bits on Cal's starters

paintitblack
paintitblack
@Kendall,

"LHP Justin Jones, who will be going to Oregon next season if Cal doesn't keep baseball (which I'm very sure it won't, at least for 2012)"

What makes you "very sure" baseball won't be played in Berkeley in 2012?
3/28/2011 4:17:32 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
@Kendall,

Are you familiar with this?

CAL BASEBALLNew hope for sport as money pours inJohn Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, March 26, 2011
[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]A recent surge in fundraising has Cal baseball in position to be considered for reinstatement in 2012 with no interruption in the 119-year-old program.
After San Francisco attorney and Cal baseball alum Stu Gordon took the point in the Save Cal Baseball campaign in February, donations and pledges jumped from $2.5 million to more than $9 million in little more than a month.
The amount and rapidity of the fundraising got the attention of UC Berkeley administrators, and a meeting between Gordon and Chancellor Robert Birgeneau is expected next week.
An announcement on reinstatement could come soon after.
The university established $10 million as the goal to sustain Cal baseball over the next seven to 10 years; the fact that $9 million has been pledged in such a short time has administrators reconsidering their stated position that the sport will not be played at Berkeley in 2012.
"We're hoping to have a positive announcement before the end of the month," said Gordon, a 1962 Berkeley graduate whose firm, Gordon & Rees, handles litigation. "We could never be sure until the announcement comes. We're hoping it will be favorable as a result of our efforts."
Gordon is no mere mouthpiece in the efforts to save Cal baseball. He donated $500,000 to the cause and swayed others to step up as well.
"You need credibility when you're asking people for money," he said. "I feel like I have a lot of credibility asking people for money. We're showing that baseball can be self-sufficient for a long time in the future. That's what we've been raising money for, so we don't have to (face) these issues again."
University spokesman Dan Mogulof confirmed that under Gordon's leadership, donation pledges have soared, but stopped short of saying baseball's reinstatement is imminent.
"That'll be up to the chancellor," Mogulof said. "He's scheduled to have a conversation with Stu. (Birgeneau) believes that the developments since the announcement in February warranted revisiting the decision as far as baseball's continuation is concerned."
Of the money pledged, Mogulof said, "As far as I know, ($9 million is) an accurate figure. The number is consistent with the numbers he has provided to the university."
Said former Cal baseball coach Bob Milano Sr., a college teammate of Gordon's, "We're all getting excited about that. I'm pumped. Whether that's enough when we go to see the chancellor, I don't know."
The Pac-10 Conference (expanding to the Pac-12 as of July 1) requires member institutions to declare their slate of intercollegiate sports by Aug. 1.
Milano said if the sport is reinstated by the end of March, it would mean the Bears would not see promising freshmen and sophomores transfer to other schools. To date, three players have left to play elsewhere.
"If we get a 'yes,' we're not going to lose the better freshmen and sophomores, and it gives the coaches time to go out and recruit players that people missed," he said.
If Cal does reinstate baseball, there will be no federal Title IX considerations in play, because the university previously brought back two women's sports, gymnastics and lacrosse.
Men's gymnastics, one of the five sports targeted for varsity elimination in September, might not be done, either. Approximately $1.5 million has been raised on behalf of that sport, about half of what the university said is required.

E-mail John Crumpacker at jcrumpacker@sfchronicle.com.

[/font]
3/28/2011 5:03:12 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
Agreed, politics is a huge factor, but $10M (a figure the University generated), or $9.8M for that matter, will be awfully hard to turn down, politics or not. We should know in the next few days.
edited by paintitblack on 3/28/2011
3/29/2011 7:33:17 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
Mentioning only Cal's weekend starters overlooks, arguably, their most effective starter this season. Senior RHP Kevin Miller is best compared to a young Greg Maddux. Physically, he is not blessed with the prototypical pitcher's body, but he has exceptional command of a 90-92 mph fastball that is difficult to pick up coming out of his hand and the ability to pitch a few relief innings, if needed, on the weekends. Cal shut out USF (San Francisco) today, with Miller throwing 8 innings of one hit ball with 15Ks, 11 swinging (he also had earlier outings of one hit in 7.3IP against Coastal Carolina and one hit in 7IP against Rice). For the game, his fastball generated 30 swing throughs. This season Miller's ERA is 0.48 and his BAA is .123 and he's been involved with 4 of Cal's 8 shutouts. He was a Freshman All-American, but he pitched through injuries in his sophomore and junior years. Back at full strength, he's having quite a year so far.
edited by paintitblack on 3/29/2011
edited by paintitblack on 3/29/2011
3/30/2011 8:48:13 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
That's true. The good thing about the March 31 Pac-12 deadline is that it focused fundraising efforts and established a clear and immediate timeline. Expect an announcement by Friday. Hopefully it will be positive.
4/1/2011 7:29:08 PM
Topic:
Quick Cal reinstatement update (3/31) *UPDATE*

paintitblack
paintitblack
I agree that the Administration has badly bungled this entire process from day one, but at this point in time, I disagree they are trying their hardest to keep reinstatement from happening. It's patently obvious that the fiscal and political climate at Berkeley requires that the full $10M is raised. When that happens reinstatement will occur. Hopefully, that's in time to prevent the program's interruption.
edited by paintitblack on 4/1/2011
4/8/2011 3:56:28 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
RawnsleyD wrote:
Baseball fans who follow the PG website or live in the Upper Midwest are familiar with this scenario. When Northern Iowa dropped their program two years ago, PG and Jerry Ford were very active in a similar attempt to raise the funds that were needed to save the program. Unfortunately in that case as well, it become obvious that the decision to eliminate the UNI program had already been made.

It may originally have been the case at Cal too, but $10M was too much to turn down.
4/8/2011 6:55:46 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
Kendall,

Thanks to you and everyone that kept this story out there. Fundraising efforts will continue, but more importantly this has been a huge wake up call to the Cal baseball community. Expect more alumni involvement in the future and a more professional and focused approach to enhancing the baseball experience at Cal. It won't happen overnight and it is Berkeley, but the days of apathy are over.
11/14/2011 6:13:30 PM
Topic:
More inside scoop on Arizona (11.14)

paintitblack
paintitblack
Kendall, is there a California Golden Bears profile in the future?
2/22/2012 2:37:22 PM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 2

paintitblack
paintitblack
For those of you who take the home field into consideration, a correction-----Cal visits LBSU.
3/19/2012 11:50:48 AM
Topic:
Pac-12 Predictions: Week 5

paintitblack
paintitblack
Dodger Matt wrote:
You know, I don't understand why the preseason polls always underestimate the Beavers. Granted this is one weekend. But last year they were projected to be 8th by the coaches and by experts like Sorenson, yet they were 1st up to the last weekend of play. This year, not just preseason polls, but there are people on the Rivals board still dissing OSU by placing them in or around the 8th spot, and here they are on top of the conference.

Either Pat Casey and company are excellent coaches who get more out of less than coaches like Savage, Esquer, or Lopez, or the Beavers are stealthy sandbaggers who mislead folks to lull them into a false sense of superiority then go for the jugular.

You're right, this is only one weekend. Not counting the Rivals "experts" whose opinion and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, almost every pre-season poll (PAC-12 Coaches, Baseball America, USA Today, etc) had Oregon State ahead of California and in most cases around fifth in the conference behind Stanford, the Arizona schools and UCLA. A road sweep is always impressive, but there are still 27 conference games to go.
3/19/2012 8:17:36 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
Dodger Matt-----no disrespect taken, but the "disrespect" card being played by several Beaver fans needed to be trumped with the facts, especially given my sour mood after this weekend's thumping. I have yet to see a preseason poll where OSU was picked 7th or lower in the PAC 12----again Rivals' "experts" (message board contributors) don't count.

FWIW, even though Sorenson had OSU 6th in his poll this is what he said in the analysis section:

"OSU may be placed down at No. 6, but I don’t think anyone really expects them NOT to play a part in who will win this conference title. Both the Beavers and their rival Oregon Ducks had outstanding recruiting classes and will have great upside."
3/19/2012 9:05:19 PM
Topic:

paintitblack
paintitblack
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yes, he did qualify his placement of the Beavs, not just with that statement. And he admitted that he underrated them severely last year. So no biggie. I don't mind creeping up on people. And I understand your grief over the weekend. Gonna be tough again this weekend, I think.

Hey, here's a question you can probably answer definitively for me. Mike Parker, the voice of the Beavers, is usually pretty good about name pronunciations, but he mentioned one this weekend that sounded wrong to me. His pronunciation was DAWN-oh-FREE-oh. I thought it was doe-NO-free-oh. Cool

According to the roster pronunciation guide, it's Don-o-frio.
edited by paintitblack on 3/19/2012
pages: 1