Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

unc70 - all messages by user

6/6/2011 3:58:28 AM
Topic:
Great start tonight PJ!

unc70
unc70
It looks even better when compared with the rematch on Sunday. The Heels did a good job today containing the team leading the nation in scoring. But somehow, limiting them to 3 runs felt like a poor performance, with 3 runs on 7 hits in the first 5 innings seeming like the Heels were in terrible shape. A lot of that was because the two prior regional games had been shutouts, helped along by just how spoiled the Diamond Heels have made us this season.

The initial run scored by JMU on Sunday was the first against the Heels in over 20 innings. The first two regional games UNC had allowed no runs, no errors, on 4 and 8 hits respectively. UNC allowed only 4 total walks in the three regional games, committed only three errors, all in Sunday's second game against JMU. And the UNC bullpen allowed no runs on 4 hits in seven innings of relief during the three regional games this weekend.

Neither Johnson, his teammates, nor the UNC team as a whole have received the attention and accolades of previous UNC teams or of several other current ACC teams. Glad they took care of business in the regional and justified having the #3 national seed; now just win out in the SR and complete the task.

Congrats to the Tar Heel players and coaches, and condolences to Coach Fox on the death of his mother. She was still attending UNC baseball games until 6-8 weeks ago.
6/8/2011 4:51:03 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: SUPER REGIONAL PREDICTIONS

unc70
unc70
Thanks Borgguy. Good job.

Obviously I am biased regarding the Heels. You have done a good job showing the challenge Stanford faces coming into the Bosh. But I think there are two points deserving more emphasis. First is the home field advantage. Just three loses all season, two of them to Miami. UNC is undefeated at home in regional play since 2006.

Second, Patrick Johnson is pitching better than his 12-1 record. In his last three outings, 23 scoreless innings on just 6 hits: a CG 3H shutout of UVA, 6 no hit innings against Wake, and 8 innings allowing 3H in 14-0 win over James Madison. Freshman pitcher Kent Emmanuel isn't too far behind, though he gave up two runs to UVA in the ACCT in a game marred by UNC's 2 errors; he last went 8 innings, 7 hits, in 4-0 win over Maine.
6/8/2011 11:57:27 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: SUPER REGIONAL PREDICTIONS

unc70
unc70
borgguy,

As happy as I usually am to see beavers, and as much as I have been helped by those here in leaning to appreciate the regional and individual differences among beavers, my experience when coming up against beavers in Omaha has been less than satisfying.

You guys have a tough assignment in Nashville. If we meet up next week, hope this will be our turn. Except for the outcomes, those were a couple of great championship series we had.
6/11/2011 7:22:03 PM
Topic:
Great start tonight PJ!

unc70
unc70
Probably resume the game around 10:15 or so, following the Texas-ASU game.

Edit: Apparently sooner than we had expected.
edited by unc70 on 6/11/2011
6/13/2011 11:48:44 PM
Topic:
CWS Champ picks

unc70
unc70
This is a really tough call. I think my Heels have as good a chance as Vandy. Against our only common opponent, Stanford, UNC went 2-0, Vandy 2-1. But all that really means very little once they get to Omaha.

Kendall earlier tweeted that he thought UNC and Texas would each lose their first game, so one of those two would be the first to leave Omaha. UNC and Vandy seem rather closely matched to me. In the computer rankings, it's 1&4 versus 4&1.
6/14/2011 9:21:44 AM
Topic:
CWS Champ picks

unc70
unc70
I see those four teams as being very, very evenly matched. Think almost any combination of W/Ls is about equally likely.

UNC is a rather young team, but most of the Jr/Sr players have been to Omaha at least once. Just as happy for the Heels to be an underdog.

EDIT: Just checked Boydsworld. The rankings are now more like 1&3(tie) and 3(tie)&1, with UVA #2 and FL tied for #3 in each ranking. UNC & Vandy just swap places.
edited by unc70 on 6/14/2011
pages: 1