Perfect Game Forum

rcw1126 - all messages by user

2/17/2011 4:22:31 AM
Topic:
North Carolina's wekeend rotation

rcw1126
rcw1126
TIM ROBERTSON wrote:
I love it. It means they're underestimating Mizzou. But then, just about everyone is.

I'm absolutely certain that no one on the UNC coaching staff is underestimating Missouri (or either of the 2 other teams, as well). It stands to reason that if you're playing a consensus pick for a post-season trip to Omaha (Fullerton) you pitch your Friday night guy.

Best of luck to Missouri this season.
2/19/2011 7:53:51 PM
Topic:
Feeling pretty good about my Heels thus far...

rcw1126
rcw1126
Heels2Omaha wrote:
2-0 against some pretty stout competition on the other side of the country. Cal Poly is very good and Fullerton is ....well, they're Fullerton. We've really pitched well and played great defense. The offense hasn't been great but has done just enough. Would sure be nice to get these two tomorrow against Southern Cal and Missouri to come home to Chapel Hill 4-0.

H2O:

Wish you could have been here!

I've seen a lot of Carolina baseball over the last 10 years; but, I don't know that I've had any better opinion of ANY of those past teams. The depth of the pitching staff is the best it's been at any time during that period (by far), and these guys are gritty fighters. To best CSF in extra innings in their own house...Well, let's just say that the statistics would be against the visitors.

Meanwhile, Fullerton is exactly as advertised. I kept thinking about the numerous good reports we've read from their pre-season, and they're completely deserved. If I were picking the 8 most likely for Omaha, they'd definitely be in my group.

It was a thing of beauty.
2/21/2011 1:49:58 AM
Topic:
Was anyone's week 1 more impressive than UNC's?

rcw1126
rcw1126
Just in from Los Angeles.

What's not too early to read into this weekend is that we played 4 games over the course of it and (1) kept running impressive arm after impressive arm out there and (2) answered virtually every half inning that our opponents scored with scoring of our own.

Yes, it's early and young teams can be expected to falter from time to time; but, this team has the capacity to be as good as any we've fielded over the past 10 years.
2/26/2011 4:48:03 PM
Topic:
Kendall: Beating My Friend H2O to the Punch...

rcw1126
rcw1126
Connecticut?!!!

1 - 4

3 losses to Big 10 teams.
3/1/2011 7:18:13 PM
Topic:
Interesting decision by Arizona...

rcw1126
rcw1126
It's no coincidence that the programs that recruit the elite arms year-in-and-year-out are known as ones that systematically protect their arms. You'd better believe that the recruited pitchers and their families know who over-pitches and who doesn't.
3/3/2011 3:42:38 PM
Topic:
Freshman Kent Emanuel - Fantastic Start for UNC

rcw1126
rcw1126
E-Dub wrote:
Any reports on Emanuel's stuff over ther course of the game, MClements?

89 - 91, topping out at 94.
3/9/2011 2:09:20 PM
Topic:
Freshman Kent Emanuel - Fantastic Start for UNC

rcw1126
rcw1126
He's improved a great deal. He's beating a lot better than the East Cobb Yankees at this point.
3/28/2011 1:38:29 PM
Topic:
National Player of the Week?

rcw1126
rcw1126
Carolina Mike wrote:
I don't believe anyone can hold a candle to Moran's stats this week.Those are extraordinary numbers with any bat for that matter.Slg % is off the charts,great job Colin!

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Freshman Colin Moran was named a National Player of the Week by the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper on Monday for his effort in Carolina's 5-0 week. Moran finished the five game stretch with four home runs and 13 RBI for the Tar Heels.
Moran started the week with the best single-game performance of his career going 3-for-4 with a run scored a six RBI in the 14-2 win over UNC Wilmington. The freshman third baseman connected on a triple and a two-run home run in the rout.
The Rye, N.Y., native blasted another two-run home run in the 4-0 win over High Point on Wednesday before scoring and driving in a run in Friday's 8-5 win over rival Duke.
Moran went deep again on Saturday when he drove in the game-winning run against Duke with a solo home run in the sixth inning. Moran finished Saturday's game with a season-high three runs scored.
Moran capped off the weekend in style on Sunday when he connected on a game-tying three-run home run with one out in the bottom of the ninth against the Blue Devils. The home run capped off a day that saw Moran tally a pair of doubles, score two runs and drive in three more.
For the week Moran hit .529 (9-17) with eight runs, 13 RBI, 25 total bases and slugged a remarkable 1.471. Moran also drew five walks, including two intentional free passes, and reached base at a .636 clip.
[/font]
3/31/2011 2:32:06 PM
Topic:
**Weekend Series Predictions: Your picks?**

rcw1126
rcw1126
[font=helvetica, arial]Vandy 3-0
ASU 2-1
Texas Tech 2-1
UNC 2-1
Bama 2-1
LSU 2-1
Arizona 2-1
Stanford 2-1
Southern Miss 2-1
UConn2-1
OSU 2-1
Coastal 2-1
MSU 2-1
Minn 2-1
A&M 3-0[/font]
4/3/2011 4:27:39 AM
Topic:
What was Saturday's biggest surprise?

rcw1126
rcw1126
It wasn't so much that Maryland won, but that they shut out Florida State.
4/3/2011 3:39:51 PM
Topic:
26-4, 3 sweeps in a row in the ACC for UNC

rcw1126
rcw1126
"Daddy, may we come out of the 'time out' corner now?!"

Having had its 2008 recruiting class decimated by the high school draft (Bumgarner, Porcello, et al) and lost Ackley/Seager, UNC struggled early last season; but, as the season progressed, they did, as well. They progressed enough to receive an at-large bid to the Oklahoma Regional and gave the host team all they wanted: two, one-run games.

To that improved team was added a deep and talented recruiting class at the beginning of this year.

It shouldn't have been so difficult to recognize.
edited by rcw1126 on 4/3/2011
4/3/2011 8:21:11 PM
Topic:
26-4, 3 sweeps in a row in the ACC for UNC

rcw1126
rcw1126
CDinSV wrote:
Now that UNC has the ACC figured out, if they could only take care of those pesky md-week games they would be the hottest team on the Planet right now...

UNC's played 8 mid-week games this season and lost 1; a 1-run loss at Charlotte. It's college baseball in the mid-week. It's a far cry from playing on the weekend.

Not a problem, Kendall. It's a motivator at this point.
edited by rcw1126 on 4/3/2011
4/5/2011 3:38:44 AM
Topic:
ACC Rankings Weeks 7

rcw1126
rcw1126
Check out Colin Moran's stats: 41 rbi's vs. 20 for Kyle Wren. Slugging percentage of .626 vs. Wren's .540. OBP of .481 vs. Wren's .486.

Still the same conclusion?

Coach of the Year: Who didn't expect Virginia to have this kind of year? How about a coach whose team achieved more than expected?
4/5/2011 3:45:06 AM
Topic:
ACC Rankings Weeks 7

rcw1126
rcw1126
Boston College "catches no breaks?"

First of all, they're in BOSTON. What else could have been expected in baseball when they were added to the conference?

Given how Miami walked all over them (in a season when Miami is struggling), how did Boston College come out on the short end of the stick when they refused to play on Friday or Saturday; thus limiting their series to two games? How is it that Tufts' and others' fields were playable on Saturday when Boston College deemed theirs unplayable? That seems to be creating their own breaks.
4/5/2011 8:41:01 AM
Topic:
ACC Rankings Weeks 7

rcw1126
rcw1126
Moran/Wren: The OBP is virtually even. TWICE as many rbi's for Moran. Wren gets the nod because GT's had the more successful season!? If that's an important criterion for you, your credibility on the POY topic went right out the window for me.

COY: Both Danny Hall and Mike Fox have gotten MUCH more out of their young teams this season. I think Brian O'Conner's a terrific coach; but, Hall and Fox have achieved more, so far this season, with what they came into the season with.
4/5/2011 10:24:11 PM
Topic:
ACC Rankings Weeks 7

rcw1126
rcw1126
ACC Fan wrote:
rcw1126 wrote:
Moran/Wren: The OBP is virtually even. TWICE as many rbi's for Moran. Wren gets the nod because GT's had the more successful season!? If that's an important criterion for you, your credibility on the POY topic went right out the window for me.

COY: Both Danny Hall and Mike Fox have gotten MUCH more out of their young teams this season. I think Brian O'Conner's a terrific coach; but, Hall and Fox have achieved more, so far this season, with what they came into the season with.

We'll have to agree, to disagree.

You've got that right, Brian.
4/6/2011 12:07:23 AM
Topic:
Dahn's story on Iowa/northern programs

rcw1126
rcw1126
“Dahm said the NCAA needs to tweak its ratings system to recognize that schools from cold-weather climates will play their entire non-conference schedules on the road."
What?! He's kidding, right?
So, the NCAA should come up with an adjustment to the RPI to compensate the disadvantaged northern schools? Should we come up with escalating degrees of adjustment that correspond with a school's latitude? With enough adjustment of that form, the University of Alaska - Anchorage can virtually count upon hosting a Super Regional!
...and who's going to determine the degree of adjustment? Perhaps, Jim Delaney and his Big 10 cronies?
The sad truth is that the NCAA is just the sort of institution that would be inclined to enact something as misguided as that which Coach Dahm is recommending. The northern schools have recently succeeded in creating a uniform start date that is sufficiently late that it threatens the vitality of the college summer leagues. They also had a major hand in the mandating of 11.7 scholarships divided among 27 players on a 35-man roster; a feature that emasculates the sport by making it more difficult to attract top players to the college game.
Sorry, Coach Dahm. I've got all the respect in the world for what you're trying to accomplish at Iowa; but, you need to recognize that you made the choice to coach at Iowa. It's a cold weather school in a warm weather sport; and "tweaking" the ratings is no answer for correcting the disparity.
edited by rcw1126 on 4/6/2011
edited by rcw1126 on 4/6/2011
4/10/2011 8:24:34 PM
Topic:
Well Kendall, that's 5-1....

rcw1126
rcw1126
GTbaseball wrote:
Calm down. FSU hasnt necessarily blown the doors down this year so far.

What a shame, then, that you don'have to play them. What a pushover they'd have been for you guys.

I don't see anyone here claiming that UNC is the number one team in the country. Rather, the contention is that the "experts" have been slow to recognize the improvement in this year's team.
5/23/2011 10:58:01 AM
Topic:
ACC Freshman of the Year

rcw1126
rcw1126
Congratulations to Colin Moran, the 2011 Freshman of the Year!

"Moran becomes the fifth Tar Heel to be named the ACC Freshman of the Year and first since Dustin Ackley in 2007. Moran currently leads the ACC with 67 RBI during the regular season, 10 more than his next closest competitor. The Rye, N.Y., native leads the Tar Heels with a .355 average on the year and owns a team-best .464 on base percentage."
5/23/2011 11:04:01 AM
Topic:
ACC Coach of the Year

rcw1126
rcw1126
Evidently, all one has to do is have his team win the conference; despite the fact that they were the hands-down favorite from the season's outset.

My only hope would be...and it'd be very little consolation...that the guy who took an unheralded squad from the point of exclusion from the prior season's conference tournament to the nation's #1 RPI and likely national seed might have finished a strong second in the balloting.

Congratulations to Coach Mike Fox, who deserved to be ACC Coach of the Year.
edited by rcw1126 on 5/23/2011
pages: 1 2 3