Perfect Game Forum

SouthernBeaver - all messages by user

4/11/2011 4:54:25 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 8 predictions

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
BeaverBob wrote:

I think that the Rivals Baseball Board was shut down, at least I am not able to access it anymore. Maybe some of the participants the last couple of years on Rivals will get involved with the Board. Regardless, I enjoy the friendly competition and your willingness to facilitate the discussion.

It is still up, but right now the only way I can find to access it is by a direct link.
(http://collegebaseball.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1169&fid=2308&style=2)

Honestly though, whether it is because yahoo stupidly shot its content in the foot by having no paid baseball commentary, or because needing the link makes the average fan decide not to bother looking for it, the board is on its last leg. I still check it, but I think I am going to migrate over here now since the Pac-10 predictions are not going to remain there. Pity that BeaverBlitz is part of Rivals... it is a great site, which means I still have to be in part of that network to get the OSU content I want besides the general info from the different sports.
4/12/2011 8:22:17 PM
Topic:
NCAA ruling on Rivals.com

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
And can you also give a snapshot idea of what this ruling is? This is the first I have heard about anything...
4/13/2011 9:55:06 PM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 9 predictions

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
OSU 2-1
Ariz 2-1
ASU 3-0
USC 2-1
Cal 3-0
4/17/2011 4:41:26 PM
Topic:
Oregon State vs. Stanford

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
First sweep ever for the Beavs at the Sunken Diamond. 8-1 in conference play, 8-1 against conference top-25 teams (not including the nonconference win vs. Oregon), and 6-0 against the projected top-two conference finishers.
4/17/2011 4:45:58 PM
Topic:
Who's Next?

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
#2 didn't lose this weekend, so, um.... one more? trick question?
4/17/2011 7:37:54 PM
Topic:
Oregon State vs. Stanford

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
I was going off Mike Parker on that last one. I think he was referring to the picks made by the conference coaches, though I could have misheard.
BeaverQuist wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
First sweep ever for the Beavs at the Sunken Diamond. 8-1 in conference play, 8-1 against conference top-25 teams (not including the nonconference win vs. Oregon), and 6-0 against the projected top-two conference finishers.

Hate to rain in on the last part, but I believe UCLA was picked to finish 1st in the Pac-10. ASU 2nd, not sure bout Stanford. Either 3rd or 4th.
4/18/2011 8:02:24 AM
Topic:
Miss State suspends player for flipping off....

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Depends... grass drills would be fitting for a lower level, but he is in the public's eye and needs a punishment that EVERYONE will see.
4/18/2011 5:24:38 PM
Topic:
ACC Standings

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Funny how a fan who's team just started in 2004 makes more sense than a fan of a team with long-standing baseball tradition.
4/18/2011 5:27:16 PM
Topic:

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
BeaverQuist wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:
Kendall wrote:
He was handed a one-game suspension, FYI.

While Oregon State's pitching coach received no penalty for receiving a DUII.

I was expecting something to happen with that... I don't think it's quite settled yet though.

I think you are right, but like it was said, it was an off-field incident so it is a different beast altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having some major in-house punishment until Casey decides whether or not to retain him... after the season is over.
4/18/2011 5:30:50 PM
Topic:
What poll do you put the least amount of stock in?

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
In any given week, I generally will just disregard any polls posting an outliers for my team. In this case, Baseball America and NCBWP. Normally though, I trust NCBWP the least anyways.
4/18/2011 11:30:48 PM
Topic:
What poll do you put the least amount of stock in?

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
not sure on the numbers since I am stealing it from a beaverblitz post that i only glanced at, but I believe only 17 voters are west of Texas, while 25 votes alone come from that state. I also have to wonder how many even check the box score before voting.
4/18/2011 11:33:58 PM
Topic:

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Florida Beaver wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the logic here. So, if a player gets drunk and beats up his girlfriend, as long as he does it off field, there should be no penalty or suspension? I can't think of a more serious offense that driving while drunk, especially for a coach. Coaches should be setting examples for their players.

I got to disagree with Bob on this one. If an off-field event reflects on the coaches, players and school and the effect is detrimental or brings negative issues to bear, then the offending party, be it coach or player, should have some type of restriction. However, our system is innocent until proven guilty. To issue a suspension or penalty before his judicial hearing is to presume guilt. If he is found guilty, then the penalty should be severe enough to send a message across the board that this will not be tolerated. If he is not guilty and a penalty had already been issued and enforced, how do you withdraw something that has already been done? The player that flipped off a fan is something that was seen and could be dealt with then and there (The Blout penalty system) The penalty for the alleged DUI, which is not a crime against a person as a Battery or domestic violence is, although a severe offense in my book, should have to wait until a jury of his peers decides his guilt or innocence.
edited by Florida Beaver on 4/18/2011

ie, the duke lacrosse rule is in the situation at OSU...
4/20/2011 7:58:36 AM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 10 predictions

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
ASU 2-1
UCLA 2-1
OSU 3-0
Ariz 2-1
USC 2-1
4/20/2011 1:30:02 PM
Topic:
Regional Host - Super Regional Host

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
They also have to apply to host the Super Regional BEFORE the Regional takes place. Case in point... in 2007 (maybe 06?) when Oregon State took on Michigan in the Super Regional, we got to host it because Michigan, knowing it was a crazy long-shot underdog in its Regional, never bothered to apply to host the next round. Had they bothered, they would have had priority over OSU.
4/20/2011 8:45:29 PM
Topic:

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
can't believe I'm jumping to the defense of a duck fan (one-time thing!), but I think if he doesn't see this in time, it would be fair to assume he means WSU will win the series 2-1 rather than give him a zero. He is, afterall, probably rooting for them heavily, and as you said, we tend to predict wins that we want sometimes, rather than what we think will happen.
4/20/2011 10:46:44 PM
Topic:

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
that is fair! Basically you are treating it like he predicted 1-1, with a no-vote on a 3rd game.
4/22/2011 10:06:53 AM
Topic:

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
With no inside info, guessing gaviglio waiting til Friday is to keep him in his timing rhythm. I mean... He is used to Fridays, so it makes sense to treat Thursday as a midweek game.
4/26/2011 4:46:01 PM
Topic:
Polls?

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
It might not be in print, but you betcha they have some bias going into their war room for seeding. If two teams are about even, the seeders bias from reading the polls will make a difference no matter how much they pride themselves in being unbiased.
4/28/2011 8:08:55 AM
Topic:
Pac-10: Week 11 predictions

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
This week I am less sure, so some safer bets with no sweeps...

OSU 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Ariz 2-1
WSU 2-1
5/5/2011 12:52:23 PM
Topic:
More Baseball Coverage in the PAC12

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Good news for EVERYONE! Pac-12 fans win big, schools win big, networks get a decent contract, and since there are two networks, not way too spendy since it is split up, and the other conferences benefit from a precedent being set, helping their future negotiations.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10