Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State vs San Diego

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 4 5 6 7 8 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/28/2013 10:24:02 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
Dude.. beating a #2 beav team is a quality team. these guys are drunk.
0 permalink
3/28/2013 10:52:55 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Teams change their rotations when they can all the time. But you're missing one point: The Beavers didn't change their rotation this weekend. Boyd still pitches Friday. They wanted to see if they could get a win tonight with "last year's best pitcher" and give Andrew Moore a week off to be fresh against the Bruins. It didn't work, but not because Child was wild (although he was at times), but because the infield was subpar. The pitching changes didn't cause six errors. I understand it is vogue to hate on Yeskie, but this was not his doing.
0 permalink
3/28/2013 10:59:24 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
DM, but they did change their rotation. It's not about who pitches Friday, but about who throws on the first night of the series. This series is as important, if not more impotant than a Pac 12 series if the Beavs want to get a top 8 seed and ultimately host a regional. The Beavs can afford to lose a Pac 12 series, but they can't afford to lose to a team that has a mediocre RPI.

Yes, there were several errors, but you have to wonder if the tone was set with the change of pitching rotation, then what seemed no real rationale to the changes in Beaver pitchers.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Teams change their rotations when they can all the time. But you're missing one point: The Beavers didn't change their rotation this weekend. Boyd still pitches Friday. They wanted to see if they could get a win tonight with "last year's best pitcher" and give Andrew Moore a week off to be fresh against the Bruins. It didn't work, but not because Child was wild (although he was at times), but because the infield was subpar. The pitching changes didn't cause six errors. I understand it is vogue to hate on Yeskie, but this was not his doing.
0 permalink
3/28/2013 11:00:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
BeaverBob wrote:
DM, but they did change their rotation. It's not about who pitches Friday, but about who throws on the first night of the series. This series is as important, if not more important than a Pac 12 series if the Beavs want to get a top 8 seed and ultimately host a super regional. The Beavs can afford to lose a Pac 12 series, but they can't afford to lose to a team that has a mediocre RPI.

Yes, there were several errors, but you have to wonder if the tone was set with the change of pitching rotation, then what seemed no real rationale to the changes in Beaver pitchers.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Teams change their rotations when they can all the time. But you're missing one point: The Beavers didn't change their rotation this weekend. Boyd still pitches Friday. They wanted to see if they could get a win tonight with "last year's best pitcher" and give Andrew Moore a week off to be fresh against the Bruins. It didn't work, but not because Child was wild (although he was at times), but because the infield was subpar. The pitching changes didn't cause six errors. I understand it is vogue to hate on Yeskie, but this was not his doing.

edited by BeaverBob on 3/28/2013
0 permalink
3/28/2013 11:39:04 PM

beaverstate69
beaverstate69
Posts: 23
I am not a fan of Yeskie either but our infield depth got exposed big-time tonight. Doesn't bode well if someone goes down long-term with an injury. Makes me nervous about next year too. Hopefully they flush this loss and get back on track.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 12:45:38 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 1111
I'm with Bob on this one, pitch Boyd Thursday, Moore Friday, and throw a dart on a wall for Saturday. Now we are in a huge hole and need to win the next 2 to salvage the weekend. Yeskie's over-management and poor decisions contributed in a major way to this loss mostly by setting a bad tempo from the beginning.

Call me jaded if you want, I still feel Yeskie is a schmuck and continues to be the biggest problem the Beavs have.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 1:11:08 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1216
Sorry Opihi and BB,

Going to side with DM on this one. Casper was one of the issues tonight. 2 of the 6 errors were on him resulting in plating at least 3 unearned runs for San Diego. Had Casper NOT had those errors, the outcome would have been different. Not having Tyler Smith in at 3rd base due to his injury, which I hope is a very short recovery time, and replacing him with Casper, a transfer from Bellevue was our downfall. Peterson was also having crap night on the left side of second base with 2 more errors. As much as I despise Yeskie, the error commited by our infield tonight cost the game. As for the pitchign rotation, if your body is used to a set amount of rest in between throwing a 100 pitches or so, to pull it out of the routine by even a day can have a bad outcome. Okay, we lost a game. On the road. We have Boyd and Moore the next two days. Keep Keyes at 3rd, Rodriguez at second and Esposito at catcher. See what happens.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 10:51:16 AM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 1111
I mentioned the infield woes and Smith being out earlier in this thread. The pitching last night set the tone for a letdown game. Yeskie was responsible for those choices.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 12:18:03 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Posts: 2290
Being a nice that I am.. I am giving all you beaver fans and lurkers a chance to interact and tell Mr. Hunt what is up about the team you guys know a bunch about. I think it might be enlightening for him. lol http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2013/03/live_chat_talk_oregon_state_ba.html#incart_m-rpt-2
+2 permalink
3/29/2013 6:39:05 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 1111
Alright, let's wipe the slate and start over.

Anyone know why it appears OSU is the home team?
0 permalink
3/29/2013 6:42:25 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Posts: 1111
Nevermind, just looks like the SD video feed is stupid. Listing OSU as Home and the first batter as a SD player.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:14:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
Mike Parker is among the best baseball play-by-play guys around, especially at the college level. And he certainly weaves history and pop culture into his broadcasts, much like the great Vin Scully. However (you knew there was a however coming), occasionally even the best will say something a little off.

Case in point: Parker referred to the last out in the top of the first inning as the "coup de gras". For those whose first language isn't French, a coup de grace is the "mercy strike" that puts a suffering creature out of his misery. It is pronounced COO duh GRAHSS. A lot of people think those consonants at the end of French words are silent, and many are, but not that "c" in grace. If you don't pronounce it, you are saying a much different word: gras (GRAH), which means fat, like the fat you cut off a steak. Same word we get in Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). So when you don't pronounce the "S" sound in grace and you say, "That was the coup de gras," it's like you are saying "That was a greasy fat punch."

Anyway, sorry for the long etymology lesson.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:22:02 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
What a night it is as I sit here on the banks of the Columbia River at the Hoodriver Hotel in Hoodriver, Oregon. I'm now on my second glass of wine. What a beautiful night. Clear skies, 70 degrees, and a beutiful view of the river, Columbia Gorge, and the surrounding scenery. With such an atmospher, I vow to be a positive Beaver tonight. In fact, tonight, I want to be known as Happy Beaver Bob, or HBB. Just to show you how positive I am, I think that the Beaver's Pitching Coach, Nate Yeskie, is by far the best pitching coach in the entire country.

What a night!
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:23:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
Matt, is your wife listening to the game tonight

Dodger Matt wrote:
Mike Parker is among the best baseball play-by-play guys around, especially at the college level. And he certainly weaves history and pop culture into his broadcasts, much like the great Vin Scully. However (you knew there was a however coming), occasionally even the best will say something a little off.

Case in point: Parker referred to the last out in the top of the first inning as the "coup de gras". For those whose first language isn't French, a coup de grace is the "mercy strike" that puts a suffering creature out of his misery. It is pronounced COO duh GRAHSS. A lot of people think those consonants at the end of French words are silent, and many are, but not that "c" in grace. If you don't pronounce it, you are saying a much different word: gras (GRAH), which means fat, like the fat you cut off a steak. Same word we get in Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). So when you don't pronounce the "S" sound in grace and you say, "That was the coup de gras," it's like you are saying "That was a greasy fat punch."

Anyway, sorry for the long etymology lesson.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:33:36 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
She's watching a Ben Carson interview on her laptop.


Wow, the Beaver infield SUCKS!
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:39:27 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Posts: 1216
The San diego video feed is HORRIBLE!
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:39:50 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
She has excellent taste. Ben Carson is one of my favorite political figures. I just thought you were getting a little help with your French.

Dodger Matt wrote:
She's watching a Ben Carson interview on her laptop.


Wow, the Beaver infield SUCKS!
0 permalink
3/29/2013 7:49:28 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Posts: 2423
I often do. But we've had that particular discussion before. I think Parker may have said strike of fat before when she was listening....
0 permalink
3/29/2013 8:25:25 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Posts: 1458
Mike Parker said it well: "It's been a bad inning of baseball for San Diego." After the Beavs have scored 7 runs, 3 wild pitches, and a myriad of mistakes by SD.
0 permalink
3/29/2013 8:43:06 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Posts: 1035
10-3 in the 4th....Beavers are looking to kick some SD tail.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
pages: 1.. 4 5 6 7 8 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State vs San Diego





Powered by AspNetForum 6.9.9.0 © 2006-2010 Jitbit Software