Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Sun Devils

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 4 5 6 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/24/2013 3:03:35 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Wetlzer was horrible. Childs should have started this game. Yeskie brings him in for one batter and then takes him out, but leaves Wetlzer in the game for 5 innings while he was struggling and getting smacked all over the field. Childs was the best pitcher the Beavs had last year and now he is resigned to coming in and pitching to one batter?

What a horrible pitching coach. I have never seen anybody overcoach as badly as he has done the last two days. It's amazing this pitching staff has any confidence. I say fire the guy and bring somebody else in. In addition to being a poor coach, the guy is arrogant and a poor example.

I thought I could keep from my rant about Yeskie, but just had to get it out of my system. The guys sitting next to me at the game are even more disgusted - one of the guys has a son on the team.

Unfortuately or perhaps fortunately, I have to leave after this inning. Maybe the game will sound better just listening to Mike Parker.

Dodger Matt wrote:
I don't think so, Fred.

Wetzler still does not have it yet. I can't see him going more than four innings if he continues to walk people.

edited by BeaverBob on 3/24/2013
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:11:42 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
Clutch catch and throw to the plate by Dylan Davis, 9-2 double play to maintain the lead.

That was an amazing play at the plate! Karma for Gordon running into Conforto in the OF, allowing a free run. I'll just chalk it up to Gordon being from Ashland... the ducks of High School where I grew up!
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:14:30 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
SB, I ran to get some peanuts when Conforto and Gordon collided. What happened?

SouthernBeaver wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
Clutch catch and throw to the plate by Dylan Davis, 9-2 double play to maintain the lead.

That was an amazing play at the plate! Karma for Gordon running into Conforto in the OF, allowing a free run. I'll just chalk it up to Gordon being from Ashland... the ducks of High School where I grew up!
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:20:55 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Conforto called for it... Gordon might have called for it too, but it was 100% Conforto's ball. Conforto got under it, Gordon collided with him, and the ball hit the ground. Runner might have scored anyways, but it was just a very bad situation that allowed some base advances.
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:21:44 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Of course, there might be more to the story between the two of them... maybe Conforto lost the ball and called him in, but without that inside knowledge, it looked bad. Almost like an early scene from Angels in the Outfield.
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:41:09 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Runner would have scored regardless. Ball was on the warning track. Nobody else scored beyond that, so no harm.

Bob, I know you have some animus wrt to Wetzler, but regardless of his not pitching as well as he did last year, he got out of most of the jams he found himself in today and did not do that badly. And Dan Child walked a runner in with bases loaded on four pitches. That equals yank in my book, I don't care who you are.

Wetzler had 3 ERs officially, but that leadoff batter apparently should have been called out on strikes on a 2-2 pitch then h o Wetzler's leg. That guy was the one who scored thanks to Child's walk and was charged to Wetzler. So in my book, 2 ERs and 5 hits over 4.2 innings is not bad. He left with a a lead.

I'm impressed with Max Engelbrekt, who has shown some stones by calmly getting out of three consecutive multiple-RISP situations without surrendering a run yet.
0 permalink
3/24/2013 3:56:34 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Mike Parker: "The Beavers have their closer Scott Schultz in the game."

Parker says things and you have to make assumptions based on the terms he uses because he doesn't throw terms around haphazardly. So Scott Schultz is our closer. Good to know. I approve of this message.
0 permalink
3/24/2013 4:02:54 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! and the Beavs win the series.
0 permalink
3/24/2013 5:16:10 PM

borgguy
borgguy
two straight games that i have gone to that have had....unique endings. last game I went to was civil war on saturday with conforto making the shoestring catch and throwing the guy out at the plate to end the game. and this one with being caught stealing.

but man, that umpire for whatever reason could not find it in him to give us a called strike three, only one strike out and it came in the 8th inning... always nice when you beat the other team AND the umps

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/24/2013 5:18:15 PM

borgguy
borgguy
also does anyone know what ranking they were using for the scores around the country they were showing? i watched and saw #2-14 without break, but no Beavers, which ranking could possibly have us outside the top 15?

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
3/24/2013 5:22:29 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Nice series Bevs. Congradulations.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
+1 permalink
3/24/2013 5:46:05 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
None of the rankings have us lower than 5 (perfect game) and stitchhead has us at 1. After this weekend, I'm not sure where we will end up. UCLA dropped one game but won their series, so not sure if Kendall will have Oregon State jumping them. Vandy won their series but dropped a mid week game and their first game of the series, so I think the Beavs MAY jump them somewhere.
borgguy wrote:
also does anyone know what ranking they were using for the scores around the country they were showing? i watched and saw #2-14 without break, but no Beavers, which ranking could possibly have us outside the top 15?
0 permalink
3/24/2013 6:38:03 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Bb be happy. Yeskie is the pitching coach of a national powerhouse. You guys are #1 in rpi/isr. Quit complaining! When you guys lose 10 in a row, I will listen. Hey how bout those ducks! Sweep and a sweet 16 for the bb team. I think it is great your ad can't hire a decent coach besides Casey.. Maybe the Nike marketing team can help..
0 permalink
3/25/2013 8:13:28 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Baseball in the PNW

Just a note, for those who weren't aware: Eric Sorenson was ALSO in Eugene and Corvallis this weekend to watch the Ducks and Beavers. Here are a couple links to Stitchhead's Oregon adventures:
Some nice pics, interviews with Casey and Horton. Even some Oregon music. ;-)

Kendall, where are your pics?
0 permalink
3/25/2013 8:17:01 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
And his Monday review too: http://www.collegebaseballtoday.com/2013/03/25/20-mondays-no-7/
0 permalink
3/25/2013 11:11:17 PM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
Good write-ups. Especially appreciated the Hank Hager shoutout. One thing was missing though... some snarky comments about the crowd in Eugene. If only ten people showed up to a game I'm covering in a park like that, I'd be all over that!
0 permalink
3/25/2013 11:42:11 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
SouthernBeaver wrote:
One thing was missing though... some snarky comments about the crowd in Eugene. If only ten people showed up to a game I'm covering in a park like that, I'd be all over that!

Yep. He even got some shots of the "crowds"...and had to show a contrasting picture from the regional last year, so you could see what it's like when there are people there watching a game! Big Grin
0 permalink
3/26/2013 2:24:26 PM

There is a simple explanation...Duck fans don't leave their trailers until it warms up a little. Even Walmarts winter wear can be a little too pricey for them...
0 permalink
3/26/2013 4:44:10 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
SouthernBeaver wrote:
One thing was missing though... some snarky comments about the crowd in Eugene. If only ten people showed up to a game I'm covering in a park like that, I'd be all over that!

Yep. He even got some shots of the "crowds"...and had to show a contrasting picture from the regional last year, so you could see what it's like when there are people there watching a game! Big Grin

Yeah, and he should have put a disclosure that the basketball team was fighting for a sweet 16 birth as well. The ducks start winning more series on down the road and the crowds will show up. The Beavs have won two national championships.. and I don't think the crowd turnout is really that special. Do they do tours of the "Omaha Room" to entice would be beaver's fan into baseball believers?
0 permalink
3/26/2013 5:16:27 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Omaha room is open to the public no tour needed. Beavs are averaging 800 more per game than ducks and are 27 in the nation. Ducks get less than 1,500 a game. Again no facts RD = no validity.
0 permalink
pages: 1.. 4 5 6 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Beavers vs. Sun Devils