Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State Assistant Marty Lees Takes Job at OSU

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/25/2012 3:24:30 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I know the subject line may be confusing, but Oregon State's Assistant Head Coach for the past 11 years has taken a similiar job at Oklahama State. This move might indicate that Casey has no intentions to retire anytime soon.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2012/06/oregon_states_marty_lees_takes.html
edited by BeaverBob on 6/25/2012
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:16:49 PM

ASU74
ASU74
BB:
Does that help or hurt you guys?

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:21:18 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Probably not. Put Yeskie.. gasp at Assistant Coach, and hire one of Casey's pitchers for the national championship years for pitching coach. (not sure if there are any around yet though) Probably all playing pro somewhere.
edited by Riverduck on 6/25/2012
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:22:10 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I think it depends who they bring in. I'd like to see them bring back Dan Spencer who was recently fired at Texas Tech. Spencer was the pitching coach during their World Series Run. Lees has been their recruiting coordinator and has done a nice job.

I'd really like to see them elevate Pat Bailey to this postion, fire their pitching coach, and bring in Spencer as their pitching coach.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:26:50 PM

ASU74
ASU74
BeaverBob wrote:
I think it depends who they bring in. I'd like to see them bring back Dan Spencer who was recently fired at Texas Tech. Spencer was the pitching coach during their World Series Run. Lees has been their recruiting coordinator and has done a nice job.

I'd really like to see them elevate Pat Bailey to this postion, fire their pitching coach, and bring in Spencer as their pitching coach.

Hay! How about Tebow....he can throw a ball Bit Wonky.. & probably not be in the NFL too much longer....if ya can't do...teach?

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:36:28 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Tebow would make a great pitch runner. Could you imagine putting him on third for a suicide sqeeze?

ASU74 wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Hay! How about Tebow....he can throw a ball Bit Wonky.. & probably not be in the NFL too much longer....if ya can't do...teach?
0 permalink
6/25/2012 5:37:47 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Point taken....bout the only thing "pitch" related he could do.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/25/2012 8:46:53 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
BB,
Who is Mary?

Is that ASU74's real name?

LOL
edited by Florida Beaver on 6/25/2012
0 permalink
6/25/2012 8:50:33 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
The mother of Jesus.

Why do you ask?

Oh, I see. Marty had a little operation and now goes by Mary.

Florida Beaver wrote:
BB,
Who is Mary?

Is that ASU74's real name?

LOL
edited by Florida Beaver on 6/25/2012

0 permalink
6/25/2012 8:55:49 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Must have been a reverse-reverse operation because he was Marty, then Mary, then Marty again.
Gosh. Don't you love medical advances?
0 permalink
6/25/2012 9:53:52 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Wow. Well, not knowing anything about it until now and just speculating, here are a few things to consider:
  • Casey's pending retirement has always seemed like smoke to me. I don't see the guy going off into the sunset all that soon, and not now especially with a great team set for the next two years. Plus now that Lees is gone? He will want to make sure things are settled before leaving. IMO, chances that Casey leave in the next three years are diminished (if they were ever really that high) by this announcement.
  • I have wondered who would replace Casey when the time comes. Although I have respected Marty Lees, I have long been in favor of Pat Bailey taking on that mantle, and it looks like he is the heir-apparent now that the long-timer is gone. Bailey is a great guy, and a national champion coach in his own right, having taken the Division III crown while at George Fox.
  • Nate Yeskie has only been a volunteer? Hmm. And Dan Spencer has lost his job as head coach at his alma mater Texas Tech? And one of my favorite former players, RHP Kevin Gunderson, was seen at Goss this year talking to Casey about helping with the pitching staff? How much better could the stars align? I don't see Casey throwing Yeskie under the bus...not directly; not his style. But if there is enough turmoil in the coaching staff that is not of his initiation, and he feels this is a way to create more stability and make some changes that a lot of fans have been clamoring for now for a few years, it could be the best thing for Beaver fans. I don't know that Spence will come back that easily, to be assistant coach again. Maybe. Unless he is given second-in-command status, which means no to Bailey. Maybe he comes in as a volunteer like Yeskie is now and eventually there is some other change. Don't know. Too many options here.
  • Is Pac-12 (someday-to-be 16) expansion out of the question for the next few years? The way the Big XII was cannibalized, it might not be that farfetched to think that the Oklahoma schools, Texas, and one other Lone Star school might make up the Southwest Division of the Pac-16, to go along with the Mountain Division (Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona) Golden Division (UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford) and Pacific Northwest Division (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State). With the SEC taking on schools 13 and 14, their eventual grab of two more seems inevitable, and the race for superconferences of 16 teams will be on. And if you slice them in half for playoff purposes, a division of eight teams (the Southwest and Mountain Divisions mentioned above) would be like an improved Big XII for those teams, with the advantage of playing the two western divisions' champion for a chance at the national title against the SEC champ in football. Texas and the OK schools get to play ASU and Arizona every year. I'm rambling here, sorry. Not sure there is even an indirect connection with Lees going to OkSt, but it seems like some great coincidences. We could see him in Corvallis every other year in the future anyway.
Perhaps just my imagination working overtime.
0 permalink
6/25/2012 11:43:26 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
DM, great points. I too like Pat Bailey. I worked with him at GFU for several years when he coached baseball and taught in the business department. I was never sure why he left GFU unless Casey had committed a future opportunity to him. Perhaps the money is slightly better, but couldn't be that much better.

It just seems like the missing ingredient over the last 3-4 years has been consistent pitching. Also, way too many pitchers having Tommy John surgery.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Wow. Well, not knowing anything about it until now and just speculating, here are a few things to consider:

• Casey's pending retirement has always seemed like smoke to me. I don't see the guy going off into the sunset all that soon, and not now especially with a great team set for the next two years. Plus now that Lees is gone? He will want to make sure things are settled before leaving. IMO, chances that Casey leave in the next three years are diminished (if they were ever really that high) by this announcement.
  • I have wondered who would replace Casey when the time comes. Although I have respected Marty Lees, I have long been in favor of Pat Bailey taking on that mantle, and it looks like he is the heir-apparent now that the long-timer is gone. Bailey is a great guy, and a national champion coach in his own right, having taken the Division III crown while at George Fox.
  • Nate Yeskie has only been a volunteer? Hmm. And Dan Spencer has lost his job as head coach at his alma mater Texas Tech? And one of my favorite former players, RHP Kevin Gunderson, was seen at Goss this year talking to Casey about helping with the pitching staff? How much better could the stars align? I don't see Casey throwing Yeskie under the bus...not directly; not his style. But if there is enough turmoil in the coaching staff that is not of his initiation, and he feels this is a way to create more stability and make some changes that a lot of fans have been clamoring for now for a few years, it could be the best thing for Beaver fans. I don't know that Spence will come back that easily, to be assistant coach again. Maybe. Unless he is given second-in-command status, which means no to Bailey. Maybe he comes in as a volunteer like Yeskie is now and eventually there is some other change. Don't know. Too many options here.
  • Is Pac-12 (someday-to-be 16) expansion out of the question for the next few years? The way the Big XII was cannibalized, it might not be that farfetched to think that the Oklahoma schools, Texas, and one other Lone Star school might make up the Southwest Division of the Pac-16, to go along with the Mountain Division (Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona) Golden Division (UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford) and Pacific Northwest Division (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State). With the SEC taking on schools 13 and 14, their eventual grab of two more seems inevitable, and the race for superconferences of 16 teams will be on. And if you slice them in half for playoff purposes, a division of eight teams (the Southwest and Mountain Divisions mentioned above) would be like an improved Big XII for those teams, with the advantage of playing the two western divisions' champion for a chance at the national title against the SEC champ in football. Texas and the OK schools get to play ASU and Arizona every year. I'm rambling here, sorry. Not sure there is even an indirect connection with Lees going to OkSt, but it seems like some great coincidences. We could see him in Corvallis every other year in the future anyway.
Perhaps just my imagination working overtime.
0 permalink
6/26/2012 8:40:28 PM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
After breaking the Lees information the other day, I also broke the news that Nate Yeskie would be promoted to his position. That's a done deal.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
6/26/2012 9:05:42 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Thanks Kendall. Haven't been impressed with Yeskie. What a surprising decision.

Kendall wrote:
After breaking the Lees information the other day, I also broke the news that Nate Yeskie would be promoted to his position. That's a done deal.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Oregon State Assistant Marty Lees Takes Job at OSU