Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » This Week In Pac-12 Baseball

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
6/14/2012 2:27:23 AM

ASU74
ASU74
• Arizona and UCLA will represent the Pac-12 in Omaha as the College World Series kicks off this weekend. The only other conference to have more than one team left in the postseason is the SEC (three teams). The Pac-12 went 12-5 against SEC teams this season.

• UCLA is making its second appearance in the College World Series in the last three years, with the Bruins finishing as runners-up in 2010. The Wildcats are returning to Omaha for the first time since 2004.

• The Bruins’ first opponent, Stony Brook, is in the national top 10 in 12 statistical categories, including hits (No. 1, 731 hits in 65 games), batting average (No. 2, .335), slugging percentage (No. 2, .483) and on-base percentage (No. 5, .414). However, UCLA allows just 7.97 hits per nine innings and is batting .309 through last weekend’s action.

• Oregon State outfielder Michael Conforto has been named the NCBWA Freshman Hitter of the Year and the Louisville Slugger Freshman Player of the Year. Conforto, also the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, hit .349 and finished the season as the league leader in RBI (76), slugging percentage (.601) and total bases (131), and tied for first in home runs (13).

• Seven Pac-12 freshmen made the Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American Team: OSU’s Conforto, UCLA RHP David Berg, Stanford third baseman Alex Blandino, Oregon State LHP Jayce Fry, Oregon RHP Jake Reed, USC LHP Stephen Tarpley and UCLA LHP Grant Watson. Berg was also named a second-team NCBWA Freshman All-American.

• The Pac-12 had 57 players selected in the 2012 MLB Draft last week. Arizona State led the way with 10 players taken, while California, Stanford and UCLA each had seven selected. Arizona and Washington State each had five chosen, Washington had four, and Oregon, Oregon State, USC and Utah all had three drafted. A complete list of Pac-12 players drafted is on page four of this release.

• UCLA finished the regular season with the nation’s highest RPI. Oregon, Arizona, Stanford, Arizona State and Oregon State all finished in the top 30.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
6/14/2012 10:06:03 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Conforto was also named the NCBWA's National Freshman Hitter of the Year on Tuesday, June 12. He was one of seven players from the Pac-12 to be named to one of the NCBWA's three All-America Teams - and the only position player from the conference - and one of only three freshmen nationally. With the selection, he becomes the first player in OSU history to be named an All-American as a freshman.

Conforto led Oregon State with a .349 batting average, 13 home runs, 76 runs batted in, 131 total bases and .601 slugging percentage this past season. This from a guy whom a prominent Duck fan on this board said "flew under his radar" all season, even though this humble reporter remarked on the freshman's accomplishments almost weekly. Well, I guess if your radar is part of the SETI project and you're beaming into outer space in search of alien life forms, then yeah, I guess he could have flown under your radar.

Anyway, lucky to have this guy and looking forward to him mashing for the Beavers for another couple years.
0 permalink
6/14/2012 10:49:35 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
What good genes he has. I often wonder how much we should contribute our successes and failures in life to hard work and how much we should contrubute to our parents.

Dodger Matt wrote:
Conforto was also named the NCBWA's National Freshman Hitter of the Year on Tuesday, June 12. He was one of seven players from the Pac-12 to be named to one of the NCBWA's three All-America Teams - and the only position player from the conference - and one of only three freshmen nationally. With the selection, he becomes the first player in OSU history to be named an All-American as a freshman.

Conforto led Oregon State with a .349 batting average, 13 home runs, 76 runs batted in, 131 total bases and .601 slugging percentage this past season. This from a guy whom a prominent Duck fan on this board said "flew under his radar" all season, even though this humble reporter remarked on the freshman's accomplishments almost weekly. Well, I guess if your radar is part of the SETI project and you're beaming into outer space in search of alien life forms, then yeah, I guess he could have flown under your radar.

Anyway, lucky to have this guy and looking forward to him mashing for the Beavers for another couple years.
0 permalink
6/15/2012 12:30:25 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
What good genes he has. I often wonder how much we should contribute our successes and failures in life to hard work and how much we should contrubute to our parents.

Dodger Matt wrote:

Did I say that.. The onlly thing that flew under the radar was a scout. Someone was not doing their job..
0 permalink
6/15/2012 12:31:18 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Riverduck wrote:
BeaverBob wrote:

Dodger Matt wrote:

Did I say that.. The onlly thing that flew under the radar was a scout. Someone was not doing their job..

Hopefully he is an old man, and eligible for the draft next year.. RD is dreaming.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » This Week In Pac-12 Baseball