Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Race For The Pac-12 Title

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/22/2012 5:38:45 PM

ASU74
ASU74
• Six Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: OREGON (5), UCLA (9), ARIZONA (13), STANFORD (14), ARIZONA STATE (16) and OREGON STATE (23).

• As the final week of the regular season approaches, the race for the Pac-12 title comes down to the final weekend. Arizona is one game back of Oregon as the No. 13 Wildcats host No. 16 Arizona State and the No. 5 Ducks play at No. 23 Oregon State. If Arizona and Oregon finish with the same Conference winning percentage, they’ll be crowned co-champions. The regular season head-to-head tiebreaker only applies to determining the automatic qualifier for the postseason. If necessary, Oregon would get the tie-break as the Ducks took two out of three at Arizona in early May.

• Here are the scenarios for determining the Pac-12 Champion: If Oregon and Arizona both sweep their rivals, Oregon remains the Pac-12 leader and claims the Conference championship. If Oregon wins two of three and Arizona sweeps, Oregon and Arizona will be tied at .700 in Pac-12 play, becoming co-champions. If Oregon wins one of three and Arizona wins all three, Arizona takes sole ownership of the Pac-12 crown.

• Stanford junior RHP Mark Appel is the NCBWA Co-Pitcher of the Week, a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week and the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week. He struck out 13 at UTAH on Friday, retiring 12 in a row at one point and falling one K shy of his career high in strikeouts. The Houston, Texas native allowed four hits and one walk in a complete-game shutout as Stanford beat the Utes, 6-0, marking Appel’s fourth complete game of the season. It was his seventh game with double-digit strikeouts and the second consecutive week he has struck out at least 10. Appel is also a semifinalist for the 2012 Dick Howser Trophy, an award given to the top player in collegiate baseball.

• The 64-team field for the 2012 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship will be announced on Monday, May 28 at 9 a.m. PT on ESPNU. Immediately after the conclusion of the telecast, committee chair Kyle Kallander will answer questions from the media via an audio-only telephonic hookup from 10-10:45 a.m. PT. Media representatives who want to ask questions or listen to the question-and-answer session can get the call-in number by e-mailing Sarah Kezele at skezele@pac-12.org.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/25/2012 12:16:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
Here are the scenarios for determining the Pac-12 Champion: If Oregon and Arizona both sweep their rivals, Oregon remains the Pac-12 leader and claims the Conference championship. If Oregon wins two of three and Arizona sweeps, Oregon and Arizona will be tied at .700 in Pac-12 play, becoming co-champions. If Oregon wins one of three and Arizona wins all three, Arizona takes sole ownership of the Pac-12 crown.

This is a good, simple way to look at it, but they don't mention the two other teams who have a reasonable crack at the top spot.

Stanford and UCLA have very good chances to sweep their opponents this weekend. That means either of them would tie the Ducks if Oregon only wins one game, and both would go up one game on the Ducks if Oregon State sweeps Oregon. So Friday night's game is CRITICAL for the Ducks to win. If they lose tonight, their chance for an outright title drops considerably.
0 permalink
5/26/2012 11:10:11 AM

SouthernBeaver
SouthernBeaver
With UA winning, they are now tied with oregon for first. Today's results will be really interesting!
0 permalink
5/26/2012 4:02:01 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Stanford is out of it now. Losing 9-3 to Cal.
0 permalink
5/26/2012 5:00:07 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
UCLA is mounting a comeback, Arizona holds their own destiny now...

*UCLA takes the lead 5-4 going into the 8th

A UCLA win ties them with Oregon and puts them a 1/2 game back of Arizona as of now.
edited by OpihiMan on 5/26/2012
0 permalink
5/26/2012 5:25:04 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Ha ha. Be great if Arizona takes the conference, UCLA in second, Oregon in 3rd and the Beavs in 4th.
0 permalink
5/26/2012 6:04:55 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
UCLA takes game 2 vs USC with a walk off walk 6-5, now sits in a tie with Oregon for 2nd and Arizona is in sole possession of 1st with a half game lead...

It's also worth noting that UCLA pretty much locks up a national seed with the win and should be #1 in the RPI as of tomorrow AM on Boyd's World due to a Florida loss today to Vanderbilt and FSU going 0-3! in the ACC tourney, wow

With Stanford's loss they may be on the outside looking in when it comes to regional hosts...as their RPI will in all likelihood fall below 16
edited by OpihiMan on 5/26/2012
+1 permalink
5/26/2012 7:59:45 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Arizona just doesn't want to cooperate
0 permalink
5/26/2012 8:04:49 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I just put my Arizona t-shirt on. I may have to get out my rally cap. Come on Zona.
0 permalink
5/26/2012 8:49:06 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
If Arizona can't come back, and they are down 8-4 in the 5th, it looks like there will be a three-way tie between the Ducks, the Bruins, and the Wildcats. Any chance the Pac 12 gets two national seeds? Unfortuntately, if Zona loses tonight, I think the Ducks have the inside track to a national seed. I can see the committee giving them a national seed and then losing to the Beavers tomorrow and then having both the Bruins and Wildcats win. This would put the Ducks as a national seed and a third place Pac 12 finish.
0 permalink
5/26/2012 9:12:42 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Bruins are even better than the ducks...RPI will be 1 tomorrow
0 permalink
5/26/2012 9:26:58 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
OphiMan, I agree, but the Ducks have the tie breaker when it comes to automatic bid. Also, Horton is a favorite of the committee and the Ducks can be seen as a "Story" for the press.

OpihiMan wrote:
0 permalink
5/26/2012 10:06:06 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Agree with all points, I was just saying UCLA is a lock for a seed, Ducks are on the fence but should be in for a seed. Arizona will host but won't be a seed.

Tie-breaker always means nothing in the Pac-12 because the top 3-5 teams always goto post season.

Right now the Beavers, as I see it, can thank Arkansas Pine Bluff for not hosting a regional. Despite beating them 4-0 they are 289 out of 297 in the RPI...it's stupid because the Beavs would've been better off playing 4 less games.

BeaverBob wrote:
OphiMan, I agree, but the Ducks have the tie breaker when it comes to automatic bid. Also, Horton is a favorite of the committee and the Ducks can be seen as a "Story" for the press.

OpihiMan wrote:
0 permalink
5/26/2012 10:08:03 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Looks like UA wants to share...now anyone that wins tomorrow is a PAC-12 champ (Arizona, UCLA, Oregon)
0 permalink
5/26/2012 10:37:22 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
So hey Beavers and Sun Devils, feel free to show up tomorrow. fingers crossed
0 permalink
5/26/2012 11:18:48 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I really don't care if it's UCLA or Arizona....just no ugly pond chickens!

MostUnknown wrote:
So hey Beavers and Sun Devils, feel free to show up tomorrow. fingers crossed
0 permalink
5/27/2012 11:30:11 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Hey- I resent that.. LOL
Would like a rematch.. Civil war series 2- at PK- super regional for all the marbles..
0 permalink
5/27/2012 11:44:16 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
I think there can be two national seeds.. Pac gets two, SEC probably gets two as well. Man, all the top ten teams cratered this last week. Going to be interesting. UCLA might get a #1 seed?
Two questions.. was not at game.. how close was the play at the plate, the catch, and the throw out at third in the first game..
0 permalink
5/27/2012 12:25:03 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
Two questions.. was not at game.. how close was the play at the plate, the catch, and the throw out at third in the first game..

I was at the first game, and the play at third was close. Didn't see a good replay, but my guess was he was safe.

The play at the plate yesterday: Check out the picture I linked to on the Civil War thread. Like Duck Jerry said, it "could have gone either way" because Gorton had the ball in his mitt a mere three or four feet in front of the plate when Alto crashed into him. It was a matter of inches...probably between 30 and 50 inches....

Several photos here.
0 permalink
5/27/2012 12:43:06 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Great pictures. It was that spike of the ball (picture number 7) that got the Duck players bent out of shape and started the verbal spat. I love it. Rarely do you see the ball spiked in Baseball!!

Dodger Matt wrote:
Riverduck wrote:

I was at the first game, and the play at third was close. Didn't see a good replay, but my guess was he was safe.

The play at the plate yesterday: Check out the picture I linked to on the Civil War thread. Like Duck Jerry said, it "could have gone either way" because Gorton had the ball in his mitt a mere three or four feet in front of the plate when Alto crashed into him. It was a matter of inches...probably between 30 and 50 inches....

Several photos here.
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Race For The Pac-12 Title