Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Week 12 in Pac-12 Baseball

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/9/2012 1:35:51 PM

ASU74
ASU74
• Six Pac-12 teams are ranked in Baseball America’s top 25 poll: OREGON (9), UCLA (11), ARIZONA (14), STANFORD (17), ARIZONA STATE (19) and OREGON STATE (23).

• Oregon was named CollegeBaseballInsider.com’s Team of the Week after going 4-1 on the road last week and claiming a series win at then-No. 11 Arizona. The Ducks nabbed a pair of one-run wins in a midweek series at Gonzaga (3-2 on Tuesday, 8-7 on Wednesday), and then won two out of three in Tucson (6-1 on Friday, 6-12 on Saturday, 3-1 on Sunday). Oregon sophomore Aaron Payne received his second-straight Pac-12 Player of the Week honor for his contributions in those five games: He went .353 (6-for-17) with six RBI (five of which were in two-out situations), two runs, two stolen bases and a .476 on-base percentage. Payne also earned a spot on College Baseball 360’s Primetime Performers Honor Roll.

• UCLA sophomore right-handed pitcher Adam Plutko, the Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week, earned top honors from College Baseball 360 as the Primetime Pitcher of the Week. Plutko allowed just one run and two hits in 8.1 innings in game one of a doubleheader against then-No. 13 Purdue on Saturday. He carried a perfect game into the sixth inning, retiring the first 16 Purdue batters. A one-out single broke his no-hitter in the top of the sixth, and he did not allow a run until the ninth inning, when UCLA led, 5-0. The sophomore struck out seven and walked none as his record improved to 6-3.

• Oregon State senior Ryan Gorton is on the 20-man watch list for the 2012 John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award. The award recognizes the nation’s top player who excels both as a pitcher and position player. Gorton has put in time as a catcher, designated hitter and relief pitcher this season. The honor is named for the former Washington State star and major-leaguer Olerud, and will be awarded June 30 as part of the College Baseball Hall of Fame Night of Champions.

• UCLA freshman RHP David Berg leads the Pac-12 in ERA (1.53), opposing batting average (.173), appearances (31) and games in relief (31). His ERA is 13th-best in the country, while he ranks in the top 10 nationally for hits allowed per nine innings (5.36, 5th) and WHIP (0.87, 9th).

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
5/10/2012 7:59:58 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Pac-12-related excerpts from Aaron Fitt's chat:

Dave (Eugene, OR): How likely is it for Oregon State to host a Regional? Their series wins over Stanford and UCLA are impressive, but their loss to USC last week really hurt.

Aaron Fitt:
    You're right — the Stanford and UCLA series wins put Oregon State in the discussion, but the USC series loss and getting swept at Arizona State do hurt. The problem is, due to a combination of conference standings and RPI, Oregon State is clearly behind four other teams in the Pac-12 (Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, Stanford). I don't see the Pac-12 getting five hosts (remember Fullerton as a likely fifth Western host), so the Beavers need to finish stronger than Stanford, and I think Stanford's remaining schedule is a bit more favorable.

Dougner (Albuquerque):
    Hey Aaron, Cal State Fullerton was pretty impressive against Pacific, but I know the going will get much tougher come June. It seems the pitching staff is coming together with a fairly typical CSF(small ball) offense. What do you think of the Titans chances of making a deep run in the tournament?

Aaron Fitt:
    These Titans feel a lot like Oregon to me — they really don't dazzle you, but they're both darn good baseball teams that play very hard and know how to win. There's a lot to be said for that — those are the kind of characteristics that carried Oregon State and South Carolina to titles in recent years, though I don't think Fullerton and Oregon are as good as those Beavers and Gamecocks teams. Just making the point that scrappy, mentally tough teams have a way of overachieving relative to their talent levels.

Kevin (Eugene, Oregon):
    What are the chances for Oregon to get a National seed?

Aaron Fitt:
    Very strong.
Too bad that Duck fan didn't ask a more detailed question, like, "With series remaining against USC, Seattle, and Oregon State, what do my Ducklings have to do to snag a national seed? If the Mighty Beavers sweep the Ducks in the Civil War in Corvallis, should I just go back to my garage and smoke a bowl? Or would Oregon still have a chance at, um.... Uh, I forgot what I was going to ask...."
+1 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Week 12 in Pac-12 Baseball