Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 13

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
5/11/2012 1:22:39 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yeskie goes out to talk to Wetzler? I HOPE he's saying, "I'm gonna let you stay in the game for 8 innings. Keep up the good work."

Yeah but Wetzler is not fooling Utah, he is getting smacked around, he gives up another hit it's a 3-run game and the Beavs would have relinquished their 9-run lead
0 permalink
5/11/2012 2:11:50 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
True. But let's see if he pitches Boyd to one batter again.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 2:37:39 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I hate Yeskie...and of course we need our gameday, "Fire Yeskie!"
0 permalink
5/11/2012 2:39:58 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I always get nervous when Brocker comes into the game. Hope he has some good stuff.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:09:32 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Joey Matthews and Michael Conforto collide in center field after Mathews catches a fly ball. Because Conforto took the ball out of Matthew's glove, it was not considered a catch and the hitter earns an in the park homerun. Glad to see Mattews is okay. However, Beavs lead is down to one run.
edited by BeaverBob on 5/11/2012
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:11:24 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I was away from the radio for that play, and I still don't understand what happened. Why is it a home run if another player removes the caught fly ball from another player's glove?
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:14:27 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Seems like a silly rule. It happended earlier this year. Parker also spoke of a similiar siutaton with Elllsbury severa years ago when Ellsbury and Ryan Gibson collided and Gibson took the ball out of Ellsbury's glove.

Dodger Matt wrote:
I was away from the radio for that play, and I still don't understand what happened. Why is it a home run if another player removes the caught fly ball from another player's glove?
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:21:11 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
I know we won but after squandering our 9-0 lead to Utah it really feels like a loss.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:25:18 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I found the definition of a catch in the 2011-2012 College rule book. I have copied the liink to the book and the language below.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BA12.pdf
Called Game
SECTION 14. One in which, for any reason, the umpire-in-chief terminates
play.
Catch
SECTION 15. The act of a fielder in getting secure possession in the hand or
glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it, providing the fielder does not use
the cap, protector, pocket or any other part of the uniform in getting possession.
In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
a. If the fielder has made the catch and drops the ball while in the act of
making a throw (i.e., reaching for the ball in the glove) after the catch, the
ball shall be judged to have been caught.
b. If a fielder falls over or through the fence after making a catch within the
field of play, the batter shall be retired and the ball is dead (see 6-1-d and
8-3-m).
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:26:26 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I know if a player catches a ball and lands over the fence, if he throws the ball back in from outside the park, it's a home run. That kind of makes sense as it is coming from outside the field of play. But what sense does it make that a ball--caught inside the park, removed from the glove by another player, and which doesn't touch the ground--is not an out? If a player touches a popup, say it even pops out of his glove, and another player catches it, it's an out. What if a player shovels a ball directly from his glove to another player without touching it with his hand? Does this stupid rule mean that if a player catches a ball, walks over to the pitcher and holds his glove open for the pitcher to take the ball, that the runner is safe if the pitcher takes the ball?

Does MLB have this very same stupid rule?
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:30:04 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Great question DM. I think the key is the following lanugage:

In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional

Dodger Matt wrote:
I know if a player catches a ball and lands over the fence, if he throws the ball back in from outside the park, it's a home run. That kind of makes sense as it is coming from outside the field of play. But what sense does it make that a ball--caught inside the park, removed from the glove by another player, and which doesn't touch the ground--is not an out? If a player touches a popup, say it even pops out of his glove, and another player catches it, it's an out. What if a player shovels a ball directly from his glove to another player without touching it with his hand? Does this stupid rule mean that if a player catches a ball, walks over to the pitcher and holds his glove open for the pitcher to take the ball, that the runner is safe if the pitcher takes the ball?

Does MLB have this very same stupid rule?
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:32:44 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
"In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional."

Again more ambiguity and IMNSHO stupidity in the writing of the rule. So if another player forcibly removes the ball from the catching player's glove, it is not voluntary. In this case, the umpire must have determined that Joey Matthews, in his prone state on the ground, with the ball firmly grasped in his glove after a valid catch, did not voluntarily relinquish the ball to Conforto. He must have been inside the injured Matthews's head and realized that, even though he was down and probably hurting, he COULDN'T have intentionally allowed his teammate to push open his glove to take the ball and relay it for a throw.

BS rule.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 3:38:12 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Bottom of the 9th, Home team is down by 3 runs. Bases loaded. A line drive to the pitcher, rocketing off the aluminum bat at an unbelievable 300 mph. The doomed pitcher catches the line drive, but unfortunately, the impact of the ball kills him. His corpse lies several feet back of the mound, with the ball firmly grasped in his smoldering glove. All the runners raced around the bases, including the batter, for four runs scored. But nobody removes the ball from the dead player's glove. The game is never ended, as the deceased's family decides to bury the pitcher with the ball in his glove.
+1 permalink
5/11/2012 3:44:07 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Obviously, not a well thought out rule

Dodger Matt wrote:
Bottom of the 9th, Home team is down by 3 runs. Bases loaded. A line drive to the pitcher, rocketing off the aluminum bat at an unbelievable 300 mph. The doomed pitcher catches the line drive, but unfortunately, the impact of the ball kills him. His corpse lies several feet back of the mound, with the ball firmly grasped in his smoldering glove. All the runners raced around the bases, including the batter, for four runs scored. But nobody removes the ball from the dead player's glove. The game is never ended, as the deceased's family decides to bury the pitcher with the ball in his glove.

0 permalink
5/11/2012 5:06:23 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
Obviously, not a well-thought our rule

Dodger Matt wrote:

Yikes guys.. Hope you get the yips out of system. Beavs need to sweep.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 6:22:36 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
Looks like the UCLA at UW game is being streamed free tonight. It's at Safeco field. It will be interesting to see if the video is better than it is at UW's home field.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/wash-m-basebl-sched.html
0 permalink
5/11/2012 8:16:38 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I think the camera behind homeplate must be anchored at CenturLink Field.

BeaverBob wrote:
Looks like the UCLA at UW game is being streamed free tonight. It's at Safeco field. It will be interesting to see if the video is better than it is at UW's home field.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/wash-m-basebl-sched.html
0 permalink
5/11/2012 8:48:07 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yeah, not very good quality. Plus it's about 10 to 15 seconds ahead of the audio. So as soon as I hear something worth watching, it's already happened on the video. Or I see some action, then I wait to hear whether it was a hit or flyout.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 9:51:46 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Day one

• UCLA 2, Washington 0.
    UCLA leads series 1-0.
  • Arizona 3, California 1.
    Arizona leads series 1-0.
  • USC at Ore (idle)
  • Stanford 3, Wazzu 2.
    Stanford leads series 1-0.
  • Oregon State 11, Utah 10.
    OSU leads series 1-0.
  • ASU 4, Gonzaga 2.
    ASU leads series 1-0.
0 permalink
5/11/2012 11:26:41 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
No upsets today...anyone know why the D*cks and Trojans didn't play today and decided to play monday instead?
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 13