Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Conference ISRs

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/9/2012 9:56:57 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Boyd's conference ISRs (2012-04-09) show something interesting.... See if you can find it.

Division I Overall
Rank Rating W L W L SoS Conference

1 . . . 115.0 . . . 196-123 . . . 196-123 . . . 1 . . . Pac 12
2 . . . 113.6 . . . 240-146 . . . 240-146 . . . 3 . . . ACC
3 . . . 113.3 . . . 249-132 . . . 249-132 . . . 5 . . . SEC
4 . . . 111.0 . . . 153-110 . . . 153-110 . . . 4 . . . WCC
5 . . . 108.7 . . . 164-115 . . . 164-115 . . . 8 . . . Big 12
6 . . . 108.0 . . . 129-133 . . . 129-133 . . . 2 . . . Big West

[/font] That's right, the WCC is #4, two slots ahead of the Big West. Boyd has San Diego at 13, Gonzaga at 19, Portland and Pepperdine at 38 and 39. Four teams in the top 40. Portland even entered Kendall's rankings this week, at #50.

I bet some of you thought I was going to remark on that number one conference. Naah.

Oh, but looky! SEC is 3rd and their SOS is #5. There just ain't no gimme series in the SEC. Every week's a battle. They must get those gimmes someplace else....
0 permalink
4/11/2012 6:29:06 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Maybe this more to people's liking. Conference pseudorat patooties:

The Big West drops off entirely, down to number 9. C-USA magically appears, and the Pac and WCC drop two slots. Which is more accurate?

Division I Overall
Rank Rating W L W L Conference

1 . . . 0.593 . . . 244-150. . . 244-150 . . . ACC
2 . . . 0.588 . . . 256-135. . . 257-135 . . . SEC
3 . . . 0.575 . . . 204-129. . . 204-129 . . . Pac 12
4 . . . 0.550 . . . 175-117. . . 175-117 . . . C-USA
5 . . . 0.546 . . . 168-117. . . 170-117 . . . Big 12
6 . . . 0.546 . . . 158-113. . . 161-113 . . . WCC
0 permalink
4/12/2012 7:16:50 AM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
Dodger Matt wrote:
Which is more accurate?

I don't think anyone cares. No one is going to win any prizes for having a higher conference ISR than another conference. And there's no proving any of this anyway.
0 permalink
4/12/2012 1:40:14 PM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Exactly, there isn't an exact science to it. If you want the numbers to favor your team or conference, just fix the numbers that way.

According to everybody, nobody gets the respect.

And people make fun of SEC fans about conference pride.
edited by Hedegoba88 on 4/12/2012
0 permalink
4/12/2012 6:58:34 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
MiamiBaseball wrote:
I don't think anyone cares.

Well, I was just trying to start a discussion. And now I know your middle name must be "Anyone" and you refer to yourself in the third person. Thanks for weighing in, Anyone!

Hedegoba88 wrote:

Mine is more of a regional pride thang. I thought I might get one of the two WCC fans here to chime in by pointing out how well that conference is doing this year, but failing that, I thought I might rile an SEC fan or two. Are you a Hog fan? Can't tell.... There are dozens of SEC fans who ask Kendall questions on his chat, but nary a one pokes his head up on the regular discussion threads.

As for the conference pride issue: I have yet to hear anyone at a Pac-12 game, against another conference--regardless of the sport--chant "Pac-12! Pac-12! Pac-12!" Cool
0 permalink
4/12/2012 7:06:26 PM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
Dodger Matt wrote:

Well, I was just trying to start a discussion. And now I know your middle name must be "Anyone" and you refer to yourself in the third person. Thanks for weighing in, Anyone!

The fact that no one has taken the bait - twice - should have been a hint that no one else is as concerned about this as you are. Don't be so thin-skinned.
-1 permalink
4/12/2012 7:27:37 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
You misunderstand. I know nobody "took the bait". I was only interested in generating a discussion. The fact that the only comment I got was a statement that nobody cares was disheartening, but not something that "hurt my soul" or pierced my thin skin. But it did remind me of what I see on a lot of Yahoo stories: People posting that they don't care. "This is not news. I don't care, my dog doesn't care, and nobody cares." Really? Why comment if you don't care?

So....Miami fan. If the postseason seedings were based on the ISRs instead of the RPIs... WOULD YOU CARE?

Probably not. There isn't much difference in your team's ranking at the moment. But sometimes these things do matter. And sometimes people care.
+1 permalink
4/12/2012 7:38:31 PM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
Dodger Matt wrote:
So....Miami fan. If the postseason seedings were based on the ISRs instead of the RPIs... WOULD YOU CARE?

Probably not. There isn't much difference in your team's ranking at the moment. But sometimes these things do matter. And sometimes people care.

But you only care because you found someone who publishes a rating system that is more favorable to the west. You love it because it makes you look better. You don't know that it means anything, you just know that it has your team ranked higher. I look at the ISR with keen interest, but when it comes down to selection day, the ISR has as much impact as the Dodger Matt poll. Zero.
-1 permalink
4/12/2012 8:07:10 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
The ISR has no impact on postseason selections: We've known that for years. We also know that even the selection committee realizes that the RPI is a poor guide to selecting the teams that should be included, and they have minimized its importance in their selection criteria lately. It's not like I "found" Boyd a few years ago and think he is god because my team is rated higher using his system than the Rat's Patootie Index.

Also, in my own arrogant, self-centered way, I happen to think that if the Dodger Matt Poll were used to select the field of 64, we might have a better field than what the selection committee produces. Maybe I should publish a Dodger Matt Poll one of these days. Ha!
0 permalink
4/13/2012 5:31:45 AM

MiamiBaseball
MiamiBaseball
Dodger Matt wrote:
The ISR has no impact on postseason selections: We've known that for years. We also know that even the selection committee realizes that the RPI is a poor guide to selecting the teams that should be included, and they have minimized its importance in their selection criteria lately. It's not like I "found" Boyd a few years ago and think he is god because my team is rated higher using his system than the Rat's Patootie Index.

Nah, the RPI hasn't been minimized. It is still a vital tool. Last year's seeds are very closely correlated to the RPI as of May 30, 2011.

I would just like to hear what a better method would be, and why.
0 permalink
4/13/2012 9:17:48 AM

Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88
Hedegoba88 wrote:

Mine is more of a regional pride thang. I thought I might get one of the two WCC fans here to chime in by pointing out how well that conference is doing this year, but failing that, I thought I might rile an SEC fan or two. Are you a Hog fan? Can't tell.... There are dozens of SEC fans who ask Kendall questions on his chat, but nary a one pokes his head up on the regular discussion threads.

As for the conference pride issue: I have yet to hear anyone at a Pac-12 game, against another conference--regardless of the sport--chant "Pac-12! Pac-12! Pac-12!" Cool

I am an LSU fan/Grad, definitely not a hog fan. I wish there were more discussion threads on this site, I miss the old rivals board. I posted regularly there.

I just think between the RPI and ISR and whatever else is out there, you can always make an argument for your team, conference, region.

On the conference pride issue, I was hoping that's what you were trying to get it, just so it wasn't only SEC fans that did that and could take some of the heat away. I can't stand when people chant that, I think it is ridiculous.

Why do I want to chant SEC for another school? That just means LSU isn't winning anything, and a rival is succeeding.
edited by Hedegoba88 on 4/13/2012
edited by Hedegoba88 on 4/13/2012
0 permalink
4/16/2012 7:00:06 PM

NolesFanJosh
NolesFanJosh
Well if anything Matt, using either the 'West favored ISR' or the RPI, the ACC seems to stack favorably (#2 ISR, #1 RPI) in either of those. As does the SEC in at #3 ISR and #2 RPI while the PAC-12 is represented at #1 and #3. The Big West this year isn't the Big West that we have all grown accustomed to, Fullerton is still Fullerton, but the BW may struggle to get two bids. And the WCC will most likely get the same amount of bids as BW, if not maybe potentially squeeze out a third pending how things go. I think the Big 12 is having a bit of a down year as well so that could maybe open up spots for 'mid-major' conference across the country perhaps?

See, discussion without the poo throwing back and forth.
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Conference ISRs