Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 9

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/9/2012 6:39:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Week 9

This week features series between the 1st and 2nd place teams and two other teams in the top tier. On the down side, we also have two series pitting the bottom four teams against each other.

This week's games
  • UCLA at Arizona
  • Oregon at Stanford
  • USC at Arizona State
  • Washington at Cal
  • Utah at Wazzu
  • Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Oregon State
Week 9 Series
  • Our headliner this week is the most important conference series yet this year, as 2nd place UCLA and 1st place Arizona square off for the league lead. The Wildcats have a one-game lead over UCLA, although the Bruins have the better overall record (.750 vs. .719).
  • Oregon heads to Palo Alto to take on a befuddled Stanford team that was swept by Arizona and barely managed to take a 2-1 series from Washington. These teams have traded personalities, as practically nobody expected Oregon to be tied for 2nd, and nobody expected Stanford to be tied with UW for 7th. This could be the weekend that turns things around for the Cardinal. Or it could signal Oregon’s ability to remain at the top and challenge for the conference title.
  • Two of the conference’s most storied programs meet in the desert, as USC visits ASU. The Trojans are on the upswing this year and could benefit from beating an Arizona State team that is playing for pride this year. The Devils bounced back from their 0-3 weekend against the Ducks by handing the Beavers a 3-0 sweep.
  • The 7th place Washington Huskies take on 11th place Cal in Berkeley. If we had any Cal or Washington fans interested, I might expound more on this, but c’est la vie.
  • Inconsistency rollercoaster series alert! Utah, the league’s worst team, which has wins against some of the best teams in the league, plays against Wazzu, the league’s Jekyll-n-Hyde team, in what could be a 21st century schizoid baseball series. Both teams have already played three common conference opponents: Arizona, UCLA, and USC. (Utah has also played Oregon.) Against those common opponents, Wazzu has a win against each and is 3-5; and Utah is 2-7 versus those three, with a win against Arizona and Oregon, plus two wins over USC for a conference record of 4-8. Both teams have beaten some good teams and lost to some pretty bad ones. That trend could continue for both this weekend.
  • The blowout series this week is also the nonconference series: Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Oregon State. The Golden Lions are in the SWAC, perennially one of the weakest conferences in D1 baseball, and they currently sit on a 6-25 record. I read a couple of blog entries from their center fielder to see how the team is coping with a Mendoza Line winning percentage, and the young man has a refreshingly upbeat attitude. Baseball is humbling, and players on losing teams who persevere often have great attitudes. One other crazy diamond note about UAPB: They have a pitcher named “Red” Floyd.
0 permalink
4/9/2012 8:25:33 PM

ConnorOSU
ConnorOSU
Arizona 2-1
Oregon 2-1
Arizona State 3-0
Washington 2-1
Utah 2-1
Oregon State 3-0
0 permalink
4/9/2012 8:40:22 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
UCLA 2-1
STAN 3-0
ASU 2-1
Wash 2-1
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/9/2012 9:31:40 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
Ariz 2-1
Stan 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Utah 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/9/2012 9:37:39 PM

MostUnknown
MostUnknown
UCLA 2-1
Stan 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Wazzu 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/10/2012 6:55:32 AM

ASU74
ASU74
UA 2-1
STAN 2-1
ASU 2-1
CAL 2-1
Wazzu 2-1
OSU 3-0

Visitors get no luv this week.

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/10/2012 9:27:26 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Go Big or go to the basement.
UO 2-1
UCLA 2-1
ASU 3-0
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
UW 2-1 - yeah- I could really care less about that one, but I guess I need to play fair.
So wanted to give OSU at least one loss, but Checking the RPI, their opponent is actually 289 out of 297. Geez who scheduled that series. I should hope, even if the beavs sweep, that their RPI goes down.
edited by Riverduck on 4/11/2012
0 permalink
4/10/2012 11:57:16 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
I think the Duckies are for real. RD, I'm pickiing them to win the series. I almost with 3-0, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.. The Ducks remind me of the Beavers last year when they got as high at 2nd in the nation.

After listening to the Beavers the last two days, I don't think they have the pitching to take all three from Ark Pine Butt School of the Blind. I turned my radio off after 5 innings today with OSU leading 7-0. I couldn't belive the final score was was 10-7.

Arizona 2 -1
Oregon 2 -1
ASU 2 - 1
UW 2 - 1
WSU 2 - 1
OSU 2 -1
0 permalink
4/11/2012 12:26:18 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
BeaverBob wrote:
I think the Duckies are for real. RD, I'm pickiing them to win the series. I almost with 3-0, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.. The Ducks remind me of the Beavers last year when they got as high at 2nd in the nation.

After listening to the Beavers the last two days, I don't think they have the pitching to take all three from Ark Pine Butt School of the Blind. I turned my radio off after 5 innings today with OSU leading 7-0. I couldn't belive the final score was was 10-7. BB- to give a little kudos for the beavs, they could have panicked.. yeah giving up a bunch and tying it up in the ninth was pretty tough to swallow, but with like one or two outs with a runner on third.. a k was huge, then conforto took matters into his own hands.. I think nevada had a pretty decent rpi (70ish) and the ducks played the dons at (140is). Not much firepower by the ducks, but we play good enough d, and our pitchers did good. I was a little pissed they pulled gold out with a no hitter through 5.. let em go till they get a hit. But I guess all our pitchers got in, so it was kind of a work out I guess. They still only gave up a combined two hits, and the run scored was on an error, so I am good with that. As for your series.. whoever scheduled that team should be.. anyway I guess we are playing them on monday.. so we will probably be pitching out catcher or third baseman by then. You guys are going to slaughter this team.. there is only like 8 or 9 worse teams in D1 then this crew you are playing. They are not going to know what hit them. Probably be beneficial to both teams I guess. For them, they will know what solid d1 ball is about, and for the Beavs, it is good to get your frustrations out on a lesser team. Just hopefully they won't get the cold shower treatment when UCLA comes to town, because the beavs will probably play against a difficulty from worst to best, in a short 7 days.

Arizona 2 -1
Oregon 2 -1
ASU 2 - 1
UW 2 - 1
WSU 2 - 1
OSU 2 -1
0 permalink
4/11/2012 10:44:58 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Ariz 2-1
Stan 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
Wazzu 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/11/2012 4:22:46 PM

Rowdy
Rowdy
UA 3-0
OU 2-1
ASU 3-0
UW 2-1
Wazzu 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/11/2012 6:06:09 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
UO 3-0
UCLA 2-1
ASU 3-0
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
Time for you to go to the basement. You need to keep the score predictions in order, so you don't screw up (in multiple ways): Ariz-UCLA comes first. and you entirely left out UW-Cal. Give me a score prediction for that game before game time, or I'll have to give you a Big Yellow Zero.
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/11/2012
0 permalink
4/11/2012 6:27:14 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
DM,

I think RD flew to close to the sun and got heat stroke. This may have affected his already unstable mind causing him to put the duckies on top of every list he makes. His grocery list probably starts off with duck, which would make him a cannibal, wouldn't it? I have a feeling the Cardinal will bring RD back to earth in a very painful way. (Or at least that's what I picked)(fingers crossed) Does it have to be a yellow zero? Can't it be a big green zero "0"? Thas pretty.
0 permalink
4/11/2012 6:36:03 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
The "Big Yellow Zero" was a term that a Pepperdine fan and I used at the Rivals board to describe the Chicken-in-Chief. It applied equally to Duck fans and other opponents to free market principles and the Constitution. I guess in the wake of the Solyndra scandal and fuelish drivel over harnessing algae as a source of energy to power our Priuses, we could also now refer to these types as Big Green Zeros. I'm happy to accommodate people with new and creative insults.
0 permalink
4/11/2012 9:02:58 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Ariz 2-1
Stan 2-1
ASU 2-1
UW 2-1
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/11/2012 11:44:03 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Dodger Matt wrote:
Riverduck wrote:
UO 3-0
UCLA 2-1
ASU 3-0
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
Time for you to go to the basement. You need to keep the score predictions in order, so you don't screw up (in multiple ways): Ariz-UCLA comes first. and you entirely left out UW-Cal. Give me a score prediction for that game before game time, or I'll have to give you a Big Yellow Zero.
edited by Dodger Matt on 4/11/2012
This year the copy and paste just does not work. It takes to many brain cells to decide anyway. I thought the winner of last week gets a ton of slack the following. Geez
0 permalink
4/11/2012 11:46:59 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
DM,

I think RD flew to close to the sun and got heat stroke. This may have affected his already unstable mind causing him to put the duckies on top of every list he makes. His grocery list probably starts off with duck, which would make him a cannibal, wouldn't it? I have a feeling the Cardinal will bring RD back to earth in a very painful way. (Or at least that's what I picked)(fingers crossed) Does it have to be a yellow zero? Can't it be a big green zero "0"? Thas pretty.

Well, as long as it is gluten free.. why not? Last time we played there we came close to the sweep, just thinking we play pretty decent in california. I would say we actually play better there, since most of our players are from that state anyway. The third series win in as many years will happen
edited by Riverduck on 4/11/2012
0 permalink
4/12/2012 2:37:47 PM

FullertonBaseballFan
FullertonBaseballFan
AZ 2-1
Stan 2-1
ASU 2-1
Cal 2-1
WSU 2-1
OSU 3-0
0 permalink
4/12/2012 4:09:52 PM

cswanson2k7
cswanson2k7
Arizona 2-1
Stanford 2-1
Arizona State 2-1
Cal 2-1
Wazzu 2-1
Oregon State 3-0
0 permalink
4/12/2012 7:13:58 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Riverduck wrote:
Well, as long as it is gluten free.. why not?

That is such an awesome apropos-of-nothing response, I may have to steal it for...just about everything.

STATIST: "Your 'raise' this year is -10%, your benefits are being cut, copays will increase, gas prices will skyrocket, home values plummet, and our enemies will develop nuclear weapons that they will use on our allies and us."

RIVERDUCK: "Hmmm. Will all of this be gluten-free?"

STATIST: "Of course. And we'll throw in free contraceptives."

RIVERDUCK: "All right! Why not?"
0 permalink
pages: 1 2 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 9