Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Stanford meltdown?

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
4/2/2012 8:08:20 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Wow. Just wow.

After getting swept Arizona this last weekend (granted Arizona is argueably appearing like the hottest team in D1 baseball) the Cardinal is getting beat at home by St. Mary's. Stanford has already beaten St. Mary's twice this season by a combined score of 15-4. What is going on? This team was slated to win the P12 and make a run on the CWS. Any analysis on what's happening by someone closer to the action than me?
0 permalink
4/2/2012 10:59:55 PM

OpihiMan
OpihiMan
May have spoken too soon...huge comeback against St. Mary
0 permalink
4/2/2012 11:23:06 PM

Riverduck
Riverduck
OpihiMan wrote:
May have spoken too soon...huge comeback against St. Mary

Yeah.. baseball is crazy. The Ducks actually swept ASU.. The Beavs swept them a year before. O-6 in Oregon for two years. Now that is a stat.
0 permalink
4/3/2012 1:25:45 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Granted on their comeback, but should St. Mary's have even been that close? This IS Stanford, at home, we are talking about. Maybe took things too lightly? (Kinda like we did last year against the duckies) LOL. Just not used to seeing Stanford handled so.
0 permalink
4/3/2012 9:47:20 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
Granted on their comeback, but should St. Mary's have even been that close? This IS Stanford, at home, we are talking about. Maybe took things too lightly? (Kinda like we did last year against the duckies) LOL. Just not used to seeing Stanford handled so.

With a pac 12 championship on the line? I doubt they took us lightly lol. Like I say- Any team can beat any team at any time. Gotta love baseball.
+1 permalink
4/3/2012 11:36:14 AM

borgguy
borgguy
Riverduck wrote:
Florida Beaver wrote:

With a pac 12 championship on the line? I doubt they took us lightly lol. Like I say- Any team can beat any team at any time. Gotta love baseball.

I am agreeing with RiverDuck? stop the presses! but yes that is my favorite thing about baseball, you NEVER know what will happen

--
GO BEAVS!
0 permalink
4/3/2012 12:34:00 PM

WildCard85
WildCard85
IMO, the bats haven't been the same since taking the two weeks off for finals (no games)...Hoping they regain their stroke this weekend.
0 permalink
4/3/2012 2:43:36 PM

ASU74
ASU74
If ya look back historically; the frontrunners of the Pac do very well in "preseason" non-conference play. Once they start conference play they begin a downhill slide.

Now, is this due to the teams beginning to fall apart OR due to the fact that the Pac is a VERY good baseball conference and we are just beating each other up?

My theory is the latter. Comments?

I know the gods of the Devils are going to stick a fork in me for this, but...

IMO you guys are throwing stones at Stanford for getting swept by UA, but I'll tell ya & I've stated this in a previous thread. UA is a very good, scrappy, competitive team and ya'll are not giving them enough credit. It is difficult to evaluate teams as we do in our weekly picks without seeing (all of) them on the field in person. I saw UA split a mid week series with Rice & I was impressed with what I saw on the field in addition to the leadership & enthusiasm in the dugout.

ASU & Stanford play in a couple of weeks & I plan to go there and support my Devils. It is not often that the Devils get swept in conference play, but I think the Cards may do it. Not for sure, but I do not think ASU has ever been swept twice in the same season in conference play.
edited by ASU74 on 4/3/2012

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
4/3/2012 7:30:38 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
I'm not intending to throw stones. I was just trying to get a fix on Stanford woes from someone who might have some insight other than the small stuff I get. No offense intended toward Stanford and kudos to Arizona for the sweep.
0 permalink
4/3/2012 8:03:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
ASU74 wrote:
I know the gods of the Devils....

Like Asmodeus, Beelzebub, Satan, Belphegor, Pelosi, Leviathan....
0 permalink
4/3/2012 10:13:37 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Dodger Matt wrote:
ASU74 wrote:

and let us not forget Cheney (dam. now I can't go quail hunting with him. Hmm one less thing on the bucket list)
0 permalink
4/3/2012 11:48:51 PM

BeaverBob
BeaverBob
FB, is that Dan Quail hunting? DM, now I have a picture of my least favote Congresswoman in my head. I hope I don't have nightmares.

Florida Beaver wrote:
Dodger Matt wrote:
ASU74 wrote:

and let us not forget Cheney (dam. now I can't go quail hunting with him. Hmm one less thing on the bucket list)
0 permalink
4/4/2012 7:49:31 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
ASU74 wrote:
If ya look back historically; the frontrunners of the Pac do very well in "preseason" non-conference play. Once they start conference play they begin a downhill slide.

Now, is this due to the teams beginning to fall apart OR due to the fact that the Pac is a VERY good baseball conference and we are just beating each other up?

My theory is the latter. Comments?

I know the gods of the Devils are going to stick a fork in me for this, but...

IMO you guys are throwing stones at Stanford for getting swept by UA, but I'll tell ya & I've stated this in a previous thread. UA is a very good, scrappy, competitive team and ya'll are not giving them enough credit. It is difficult to evaluate teams as we do in our weekly picks without seeing (all of) them on the field in person. I saw UA split a mid week series with Rice & I was impressed with what I saw on the field in addition to the leadership & enthusiasm in the dugout.

ASU & Stanford play in a couple of weeks & I plan to go there and support my Devils. It is not often that the Devils get swept in conference play, but I think the Cards may do it. Not for sure, but I do not think ASU has ever been swept twice in the same season in conference play.
I think teams are going to rise up and figure this AZ team out. I know historically when it comes to the Ducks, we have been able to look competitive vs anyone we face, and also look downright disgusting. That being said, I remember the 10 season when the ducks went down and played well vs a very good #1 rank bruins team, and work them at home. Not saying that will happen, but if there is any place the Ducks travel well, is California. The series I worry most about are WSU, Cal, and OSU. I think those series are critical, for the ducks to have any chance in the post season. They must take at least two more series VS the big three- Stan, AZ, UCla. USC is another scary series. So, yes- The pac is like a gladiator type league, and if Kendall is right, most teams won't get punished- they will get rewarded. No series is a gimmee.. Sweeps in series are huge, and I think teasmthat are going to the post season need to get a few. I think in a perfect world, both Oregon teams get a regional, and at least one hosts a super. At this point of my life I would prefer the ducks, but would not care if it was the beavs.. just keep it in the state. I know the beavs have carried the torch for so long.. maybe they need a break. I am sure the duck would not care.. lol.
sorry about the ramble.. but I am starting to freak out- this season has gone by way to fast. One more day and we have baseball again. YES!
edited by ASU74 on 4/3/2012

edited by Riverduck on 4/4/2012
0 permalink
4/6/2012 2:56:42 AM

DX Bible
DX Bible
Stanford wasn't sharp coming off of dead week and finals, that's for sure. Perhaps the biggest explanation is that Stanford's schedule wasn't too favorable in terms of number of games played in a short amount of time. Appel was pitching on 4 days rest, Mooneyham 5 days rest, with Appel's following a CG victory over USC. They were very much in a postion to win Friday night, with a questionable decision to leave Appel in the game for the 9th instead of using the bullpen, and not having a closer warmed up and ready when Appel allowed the first hitter on base. Had Stanford won game 1, game 2 might have been an entirely different story. It was a Mooneyham throwing error late in the game that swung the game to UA's favor.

Compliments to UA however for coming out fired up and ready to defend their field. I totally agree that the Pac 12 has historically been a brutal league with any team able to win any series. The talent is that deep.
edited by DX Bible on 4/6/2012
0 permalink
4/14/2012 2:54:37 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Mooneyham walks two, hits another, tosses one to the backstop (passed ball), and Oregon scores two in the 3rd. Stanford's meltdown continues.
0 permalink
4/14/2012 3:00:30 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
I think I jumped in a tad prematurely. The meltdown accelerates as Mooneyham surrenders a 3-run homer to Ryon Healy. Ducks up 5-0.
0 permalink
4/17/2012 12:43:39 AM

Kendall
Kendall
Administrator
Dodger Matt wrote:
I think I jumped in a tad prematurely. The meltdown accelerates as Mooneyham surrenders a 3-run homer to Ryon Healy. Ducks up 5-0.

I don't think there's any doubt Stanford is a very solid baseball team, but let's remember a couple of things:

1) When Stanford went on a hellacious run early in the year, it faced Texas, Vanderbilt and Rice when all three teams, quite frankly, had major holes. So I think what happened those weekends is that Stanford played very well, but those three teams didn't play well at all, or in Vandy's case, weren't good to begin with.

2) Stanford is just too inconsistent for my liking right now. It seems like one night it plays very well, the next it goes into a lull. Not sure what it is, but these guys don't seem motivated every time out.

--
Kendall Rogers, College Baseball Managing Editor
Follow me on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
Email me: mailto:kendall@perfectgame.org
0 permalink
4/17/2012 9:10:34 PM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Wow. Stanford loses to a 17-14 San Jose State. And the meltdown continues. Loo Flush Kinda sad to see, ya know?
0 permalink
4/18/2012 7:38:03 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
Wow. Stanford loses to a 17-14 San Jose State. And the meltdown continues. Loo Flush Kinda sad to see, ya know?

Yeah, FB, I know what you mean. Don't want to bring up yours truly, but I remember when you guys came to our yard in 10. (nonleague) The baseball gods just plain did not want your team to win.. You guys recovered, but that middle stretch really hurt ya. Stanford might not get the ship righted..
0 permalink
4/18/2012 7:38:03 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:

Yeah, FB, I know what you mean. Don't want to bring up yours truly, but I remember when you guys came to our yard in 10. (nonleague) The baseball gods just plain did not want your team to win.. You guys recovered, but that middle stretch really hurt ya. Stanford might not get the ship righted.. When Casey seemed not to mad about winning 1 in WSU, I think that was brilliant, because that was right when they started winning again. He was actually thankful to not getting swept.. the Gods let off, and then you guys thumped us..
edited by Riverduck on 4/18/2012
0 permalink
show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Stanford meltdown?