Not a member yet?
Subscribe Now!

Perfect Game Forum

Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 5

Want to make your opinion heard or just chat about college baseball? This is your place.
pages: 1.. 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post
3/19/2012 7:14:53 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
paintitblack wrote:
You're right, this is only one weekend. Not counting the Rivals "experts" whose opinion and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, almost every pre-season poll (PAC-12 Coaches, Baseball America, USA Today, etc) had Oregon State ahead of California and in most cases around fifth in the conference behind Stanford, the Arizona schools and UCLA. A road sweep is always impressive, but there are still 27 conference games to go.

Okay, first, don't go anywhere. You're like a unicorn--the first Cal fan I've seen online. So if I've offended you in any way, I apologize. Stick around and give us your predictions.

Second, I did not intend any direct disrespect to Cal, although I admit I have been saying I think they were overrated by a number of folks in the preseason, along with Arizona. My point was that OSU always seems to be undervalued. And even with our pitching in disarray, we went into Berkeley and took all three. This upcoming weekend series for OSU against Arizona is what I called a key matchup at the beginning of the year. I'm not saying we will be dominant against the Cats, but if we prevail, that supports my preseason assessment (and my complaint above) all the more vis-a-vis UA and Cal. We shall see.

Third, you're right that OSU placed one slot ahead of Cal in the coaches' preseason poll this year and was rated above Cal on most of the other polls. But check these:

Collegiate Baseball: http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/archives/2012/ncaadivIpoll12-19-11.htm

22. California (38-23) 447
23. Vanderbilt (54-12) 445
24. Oregon St. (41-19) 443

Eric Sorenson: http://blogs.eastonbaseball.com/collegebaseballtoday/2012/02/06/2012-preview-the-pac-12/

HOW THEY’LL FINISH IN 2012:
- The Pac 12.

1- Stanford
2- Arizona
3- California
4- UCLA
5- Arizona State
6- Oregon State
7- Oregon
8- USC
9- Utah
10- Washington State
11- Washington

That's only two. I won't bother with the Rivals "experts", as you call them. And maybe I was erroneously grouping Cal with Arizona, since UA was ranked above OSU in all of the polls:

Perfect Game (11 vs 17)
USA Today (11 vs 16)
NCBWA (18 vs 22)
Baseball America (5 vs. 23)
Collegiate Baseball (20 vs. 24)

In any case, let's move on. I'd appreciate your input on these threads.
0 permalink
3/19/2012 8:17:36 PM

paintitblack
paintitblack
Dodger Matt-----no disrespect taken, but the "disrespect" card being played by several Beaver fans needed to be trumped with the facts, especially given my sour mood after this weekend's thumping. I have yet to see a preseason poll where OSU was picked 7th or lower in the PAC 12----again Rivals' "experts" (message board contributors) don't count.

FWIW, even though Sorenson had OSU 6th in his poll this is what he said in the analysis section:

"OSU may be placed down at No. 6, but I don’t think anyone really expects them NOT to play a part in who will win this conference title. Both the Beavers and their rival Oregon Ducks had outstanding recruiting classes and will have great upside."
0 permalink
3/19/2012 8:49:47 PM

Dodger Matt
Dodger Matt
Yes, he did qualify his placement of the Beavs, not just with that statement. And he admitted that he underrated them severely last year. So no biggie. I don't mind creeping up on people. And I understand your grief over the weekend. Gonna be tough again this weekend, I think.

Hey, here's a question you can probably answer definitively for me. Mike Parker, the voice of the Beavers, is usually pretty good about name pronunciations, but he mentioned one this weekend that sounded wrong to me. His pronunciation was DAWN-oh-FREE-oh. I thought it was doe-NO-free-oh. Cool
0 permalink
3/19/2012 9:05:19 PM

paintitblack
paintitblack
Dodger Matt wrote:
Yes, he did qualify his placement of the Beavs, not just with that statement. And he admitted that he underrated them severely last year. So no biggie. I don't mind creeping up on people. And I understand your grief over the weekend. Gonna be tough again this weekend, I think.

Hey, here's a question you can probably answer definitively for me. Mike Parker, the voice of the Beavers, is usually pretty good about name pronunciations, but he mentioned one this weekend that sounded wrong to me. His pronunciation was DAWN-oh-FREE-oh. I thought it was doe-NO-free-oh. Cool

According to the roster pronunciation guide, it's Don-o-frio.
edited by paintitblack on 3/19/2012
0 permalink
3/20/2012 2:32:50 AM

Florida Beaver
Florida Beaver
Paintitblack,

It may have been me talking about the Beavs being ranked low. I wasn't talking about just this year, but rather the last few years. Maybe I am just a little touchy. I do try to keep my emotions in check, but sometimes I can't help it. I never intended any disrespect toward Cal. I thought what y'all did last year was nothing short of freaking amazing. I really try to keep my trash talk confined to the Ducks (because they are the ducks, after all). And I am so very glad Kendall moved to PG and left Rivals. I do not miss the crap from there.

So stick around. Get in on the weekly P12 picks. Unlike other message boards, our trash talk is more light-hearted and done in the name of fun. DM makes the weekly picks something to look forward to not related to the SEC (at least for me out here in Gainseville, Florida)
0 permalink
3/20/2012 8:35:34 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Florida Beaver wrote:
Paintitblack,

It may have been me talking about the Beavs being ranked low. I wasn't talking about just this year, but rather the last few years. Maybe I am just a little touchy. I do try to keep my emotions in check, but sometimes I can't help it. I never intended any disrespect toward Cal. I thought what y'all did last year was nothing short of freaking amazing. I really try to keep my trash talk confined to the Ducks (because they are the ducks, after all). And I am so very glad Kendall moved to PG and left Rivals. I do not miss the crap from there.

So stick around. Get in on the weekly P12 picks. Unlike other message boards, our trash talk is more light-hearted and done in the name of fun. DM makes the weekly picks something to look forward to not related to the SEC (at least for me out here in Gainseville, Florida)

Yeah- FB has been working on keeping his emotions in check.. lol. I have pissed him off many times in the past, but he does a good job not lowering himself to my "ducktitude"
Pretty good crowd considering the majority have a beav flavor. If everyone backed the same team, this would be a boring thread, so please.. we need more pac 12 teams represented. Utah anyone?
I guess I could start rooting for them too, I lived there for 6 years.
0 permalink
3/20/2012 8:51:04 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
paintitblack wrote:
Dodger Matt-----no disrespect taken, but the "disrespect" card being played by several Beaver fans needed to be trumped with the facts, especially given my sour mood after this weekend's thumping. I have yet to see a preseason poll where OSU was picked 7th or lower in the PAC 12----again Rivals' "experts" (message board contributors) don't count.

FWIW, even though Sorenson had OSU 6th in his poll tCahis is what he said in the analysis section:

"OSU may be placed down at No. 6, but I don’t think anyone really expects them NOT to play a part in who will win this conference title. Both the Beavers and their rival Oregon Ducks had outstanding recruiting classes and will have great upside."

The best get swept every once in awhile.. when I am down.. I just think back to the series that my down and out ducks swept the Beavs at home, ruining their title hopes. Cal will regain their strength and play just fine from here on out. I believe that any team in this conference can beat any other team and any time. I still remember when you guys almost swept us at home during our 10 season. I was in the stands, and when Boer came in, he was untouchable at the time.. only reason we eeked it out.
edited by Riverduck on 3/20/2012
edited by Riverduck on 3/20/2012
0 permalink
3/20/2012 9:01:43 AM

Riverduck
Riverduck
Ophi- sorry I offended you.. I will still back up my claim we were playing better than the beavs at that time. Yeah, now you guys are playing best in state. I in no way intended to say we were better than you card. Anyway, as we all know, baseball is about the long burn, and we all remember the streak you guys had in 10, so being humble on how our teams play will help. Even though FB thinks he is harsh on the ducks, I think you have grown as a fan, and have shown some brass, alongside ophi, dm, bb. Remember, we are just all reporting on things we have no control over, so lets be nice to one another. This is not football or basketball.. When the season is over, we can let a little wind out, positive or negative.
I will do my best not to vote with my heart.. I am tired of sitting in the cellar. If it means voting for the beavs, so be it. Right now they are one of the hotter teams in the league.
0 permalink
3/20/2012 11:51:04 AM

Daweez04
Daweez04
Fun stat.

Parker Berberet lead the Beavs with 39 RBIs last year. Conforto has 26 on the year. Dylan Davis has 19. Hope these kids can keep it up!
0 permalink
3/20/2012 1:32:47 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Damn, the (under) dogs had their way last wekend....and most of us went...
Loo Flush

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
3/20/2012 1:43:07 PM

ASU74
ASU74
Dodger Matt wrote:
Score analysis

Ugly....
  • Top average score was 3.67 for Ariz 2-1. 10/15 got that right.
  • Second was 3.20 for UCLA 2-1. (9/15 got that.) These are the only two that the voters on average picked correctly.
  • Third was OSU 3-0, average score of 2.60. Only 1/15 picked that, but 10/15 had the next best thing, OSU 2-1.
  • Another awful score was UW 2-1, average of 2.13. 2/15 got that right.
  • But the absolute worst prediction probably ever since I've been doing these was Utah 2-1, which nobody picked and had an average of 1.07.
  • Because 14/15 picked a USC sweep, if they had lost the last game, the average score would have been 0.07.
Not sure how many of you are interested in the score analysis bullets, so let me know....
edited by Dodger Matt on 3/18/2012

I think it is GREAT!!!Thumbs Up

--
Go Devils !!
Fork Off
0 permalink
pages: 1.. 3 4 | show rated messages only | you must log in at the top of the page to post

Home » College Baseball Clubhouse » Pac-12 Predictions: Week 5